The Lovehoney Guide to Vibrators: Vibrators for Beginners
If you’ve been perusing the internet trying to find the best vibrators for beginners, then you’ve come to the right place. Whether you’re looking for expert advice on how to buy your first vibrator, tips on how to use a vibrator, or information on the different types to choose from, we’ve got everything you need right here.
How to choose a Vibrator
As you may have already discovered, vibrators come in a huge variety of shapes, sizes, and materials, with a whole host of different functionalities designed to deliver intense sensations to your pleasure spot(s). But which vibrator is the right one for you? Now, this is where we come in...
Read on to find out more about the different types of vibrators out there, plus what they can do for you and all of those pleasure-hungry erogenous zones - and you’ll be all set to choose a vibrator that suits your needs. Living with flatmates? Take a look at our extra quiet vibrators. Fancy something powerful but discreet? Check out our bullets.
So, whether you’re playing solo, inviting a partner along for some good vibrations, or simply looking to expand your vibe know-how, you’ve come to the right place. Trust us, there’s a vibrator out there with your name on it.
Why do people use Vibrators?
Before we get into how to use a vibrator, here’s a little bit of information on why people actually use them in the first place.
Good vibrators offer a huge wealth of benefits. They may help you to:
- Achieve more powerful solo orgasms when using a vibrator for masturbation
- Have better sex with a partner
- Reach and stimulate all your hot spots
- Enhance and optimise sexual happiness
- (Most importantly) have fun!
How to use a Vibrator
We’ll run through more details on how each type of vibrator actually works as we get into them below. But, first of all, check out our top tips on how to use a vibrator in our handy video here:
Video: How to use a Vibrator
Different types of Vibrators: The best Vibrators for beginners
There are a whole range of different vibrators out there, so how do you know which is the best vibrator for you? Take a look at our favourite types of vibrators below - plus, find out how they all work and exactly which sexy spots they’re designed to hit.
Best Vibrators: Bullet Vibrators
Bullet vibrators are a popular choice if you’re looking for your first vibrator, and they’re also one of the best small vibrators to start off with. They’re good vibrators for couples too, thanks to their petite and non-intimidating proportions and their purpose-built precision.
Benefits of Bullet Vibrators:
- Small size and tapered tip offering direct and intense clitoral stimulation
- Ideal for use while having penetrative sex, without causing obstruction to either partner
- At just 2-3 inches in length, they're perfect for popping in your bag for on-the-go pleasure
Or, if you're in a hurry, we recommend the best-selling Magic Bullet vibe (pictured) as an ideal first vibrator.
Best Vibrators: Butterfly Vibrators
These vibes are worn a bit like you would wear a pair of knickers, and deliver hands-free vibrating stimulation directly to your clitoris. Butterfly vibrators get their name from the shape of the clitoral stimulator, which is shaped like a butterfly with its wings spread.
Benefits of Butterfly Vibrators:
- Can provide external stimulation during penetration with a partner
- Leaves your (or your partner’s) hands free to play with other areas
- Can be worn under clothes out and about for discreet thrills
Or, if you’re still undecided, we’d recommend the customer-favourite Lovehoney Venus Butterfly vibe (pictured).
Best Vibrators: Classic Vibrators
These classic vibrators have an insertable, non-phallic design, making them an ideal choice for a first vibrator. They can be used for direct clitoral stimulation, but are designed primarily for insertion.
Benefits of Classic Vibrators:
- Often multispeed, with vibrations ranging from low to intense
- Range in price from budget to high-end
- Come in a variety of materials for varied sensations
Or, to take the hassle out of choosing, we’d recommend the Silencer Whisper Quiet Classic Vibrator (pictured).
Best Vibrators: Clitoral Vibrators
The term ‘clitoral vibrator’ refers to any vibrator that is specifically designed to stimulate the clitoris (which contains about 8,000 nerve endings, FYI).
Benefits of Clitoral Vibrators:
- Although they’re all designed for clitoral stimulation, there are lots of different types of clitoral vibrators, from toys with stimulating ‘nubs’, to vibrators with a ‘cup’ that surrounds the clitoris
- They’re often larger than bullet vibrators to accommodate bigger motors for more power
- They can stimulate a larger area, making them great for grinding up against
Or, for pure indulgence, we recommend the Desire Luxury Clitoral Vibrator (pictured).
Best Vibrators: Clitoral Suction Vibrators
The now-legendary Womanizer brand helped introduce us to a whole new world of pleasure with their clitoral suction vibrators. As the name suggests, these vibes rely on suction rather than direct contact to stimulate the clitoris - and it’s a real gamechanger.
Benefits of Clitoral Suction Vibrators:
- The suction technology offers a unique sensation quite unlike other vibes
- Suction vibes have multiple levels of intensity, allowing you to tailor your pleasure
- They're rechargeable and waterproof, with a tip made from silky silicone
Or, for an easy choice, we suggest the Womanizer X Lovehoney Pro 40 (pictured), which has a 4.6/5 star rating from over 500 reviews.
Best Vibrators: Finger Vibrators
A finger vibrator is another good choice when it comes to the best small vibrators out there. Finger vibrators are usually comprised of a small bullet vibrator mounted in a textured sleeve and attached to a ring. Simply slide the ring over your finger to make precision point massages easy.
Benefits of Finger Vibrators:
- Can be worn by you or your partner to enhance foreplay or penetrative sex
- Allows for clitoral stimulation without having to hold onto a separate toy
- They come in a variety of shapes and styles, offering varying functions from single speed to pattern-tastic
Alternatively, the Lovehoney Tease 20 Function Finger Vibrator (pictured) is an absolute beaut if you want an easy choice.
Best Vibrators: G-Spot Vibrators
These curvy vibes are designed to stimulate one of the most sensitive parts of the vagina - the G-spot - during penetration. G-spot vibrators usually feature an upward curve and a girthy head to ensure maximum stimulation for this sensitive spot.
Benefits of G-Spot Vibrators:
- G-spot stimulation is associated with female ejaculation or ‘squirting’
- They often have different speed settings and functions for intense internal thrills
- Some feature clitoral stimulators for an exquisite blended orgasm
Or, to make things simple for you, we heartily recommend the customer-favourite Lovehoney Power Play 7 Function G-Spot vibe (pictured).
Best Vibrators: Love Egg Vibrators
These insertable toys are similar in size and shape to Kegel exercisers (making them an ideal first vibrator), but they have a vibrating motor nestled inside instead of weights.
Benefits of Love Egg Vibrators:
- Some have a wired controller, whereas others operate via a remote control, allowing you to discreetly indulge in a little public play
- Designed to nestle against the G-spot, they deliver vibrating speeds and patterns directly to your internal pleasure points
- Perfect if you want to let your lover take control
In a hurry to choose? We recommend the Lovehoney Thrill Seeker (pictured).
Best Vibrators: Luxury Vibrators
If you want to treat yourself or your partner to the best in sex toy technology, then opt for one of our luxury vibrators. These sleek sex toys are designed to look and feel incredible, and are often bought to replace a cheaper vibrator as an upgrade.
Benefits of Luxury Vibrators:
- They’re made from more expensive materials which are more luxurious and longer lasting
- They’re usually rechargeable so you don't have to worry about expensive batteries
- Additional features and functionality allow you to tailor your pleasure and experiment with a wide range of sensations
If you want an easy choice, you can't go wrong with the Happy Rabbit G-Spot Rechargeable Rabbit vibe (pictured).
Best Vibrators: Magic Wand Vibrators
These vibrators were originally designed to relieve back and neck pain, but they make incredible clitoral stimulators - a discovery that boosted sales of Wand Vibrators the world over. Magic Wands boast some of the most powerful vibrations sex toys have to offer, with many being mains powered (although we stock portable models too, in a range of sizes).
Benefits of Magic Wand Vibrators:
They boast some of the most powerful motors you'll find in a vibrator, for intense stimulation
They make for perfect couple’s toys as they’re non-anatomical and great for stimulating all of your erogenous zones (and they're fab for massages too)
Many are compatible with specially designed Magic Wand Attachments for added thrills
Or, for a 5-star rated hit, try the Lovehoney Extra Powerful Multispeed Mains Powered Magic Wand Vibrator (pictured).
Plus, if you’re looking for tips on how to use a magic wand vibrator, find inspiration on supercharging your sex life with a magic wand here.
Best Vibrators: Realistic Dildo Vibrators
Just like regular realistic dildos, these sex toys are shaped to anatomically resemble a penis, with the added bonus of a motor that makes the dildo vibrate. So, if it's a realistic look you're after but you still want those oh-so-good vibrations, then this is the toy for you.
Benefits of Realistic Dildo Vibrators:
- A multitude of sizes from Average Joe to Super-King Simon (not actual names)
- Most have a range speeds and patterns to play with
- There's loads of choice if you're looking for specific features, from remote controls and suction cups, to balls and added appendages to tickle your behind
Or, if you want to make your own vibe from a mould of your partner's actual penis, try the fun Clone-A-Willy range here.
Best Vibrators: Remote Control & App-Controlled Vibrators
Remote Control Vibrators, and their fancier cousins, App-Controlled Vibrators, open up a whole new world of play possibilities, whether you're on your own or playing with a partner. Choose to take your pleasure out of the house or keep it indoors, and either hand your partner the remote or enjoy some solo time with your hands free to wander to other areas...
Benefits of Remote Control Vibrators:
- They come in all sorts of varieties, from love eggs and bullet vibes to prostate massagers and cock rings - everyone's a winner!
- Most offer a huge range of speeds and patterns so that you or your partner can tailor your pleasure
- Great for couples who enjoy power play
Or, for a recommended top pick, head straight to the - deep breath - We-Vibe X Lovehoney Remote Control Clitoral and G-Spot Vibrator (pictured).
Best Vibrators: Vibrating Strap-ons
These are just like your usual Strap-on Dildos, but they feature a vibrating motor to intensify the experience for both partners. Our range includes options for everyone, from Strap-ons designed for someone with a vagina to 'peg' a (traditionally) male partner, to Strap-ons for two people with vaginas. Plus, there are even hollow vibrating Strap-ons that anyone can use to pleasure any partner. Phew! What a choice.
Benefits of Vibrating Strap-ons:
- Some include internal vibrators for the wearer and the receiver, making the shared pleasure of a Strap-on even better
- They come in various sizes and textures for an array of sensations
- Discover a variety of harness styles for comfort and sensuality
Looking for an easy choice that offers something for everyone? Try the 6 inch Lovehoney Perfect Partner 10 Function Vibrating Strap-on (pictured - other sizes available).