FREE 1 Day Delivery - Spend £50 and 24-hour tracked delivery is FREE
  1. Taking Toys Abroad

Larinartemis [sign in to see picture]

So, I'm going on holiday with my BF next month and we've always been worried about taking toys with us even small vibrators. the fear of what if the bag pops open and everyone sees it is there.

Can you take vibrators etc on planes in the luggage hold, I've heard you have to take the batteries out just want some clarity/past experiences.

SugarSpice [sign in to see picture]

Funnily enough, I've been thinking the same!
    I have some of the jiggle balls and my boyfriend wanted me to wear them to the airport and on the plane but I'm worried about them setting the scanners off with them being metal inside. I may just have to put them in my hand luggage and pop them in when past security!

As far as I know, yes you can take toys in your hand luggage but you're quite right..just remove the batteries. I'd imagine you won't be the first and certainly not the last to do it.
    Enjoy your holiday :)

4Uonly [sign in to see picture]

I travel with hub quite extensively. These 3 standard toys (vibrating rabbit vibrator, wireless bullet and Hitachi wireless wand vibrator) travel with us without failed. Just a month ago we were at UK to witness our son's convocation at UCL. When we arrived and departed we had a few more and there was also no problem retrieving and checking in our luggage at Heathrow.

We also have no problem with countries like Taiwan, Korea, Thailand (Bangkok, Check and Phuket), Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia, Bali, Australia and New Zealand.
    Others less frequently travelled are Paris, Switzerland, Italy and America was also a smooth passage for our toys too, and sometimes more.

To prevent getting into trouble I will suggest:
    1) Remove all batteries from your toys.
    2) Keep you batteries in a different luggage bag.

When you transit at Abu Dhabi, make sure you DON'T hand carry your toys. They have zero tolerance for sex related items including magazines.

Best to check in your toys. Except for this one-time occasion, I ensure that all toys checked in at the counter...no hand carry.

Once I was in Taiwan with my 20in hand carry case. A young female immigration office requested to check my case. She removed my dildo which I kept in a satin bag. Realising that it was a "penis" she was holding, she dropped my toy in total embarrassment and left without picking it up.

Philma45 [sign in to see picture]

My main advice is to remove any batteries. My wife and I arrived in Berlin Airport and when we collected the suitcase you could hear her vibrator. There was nothing we could do so we went through the various immigration controls and then had to get some more batteries!

Scorpius12 [sign in to see picture]

Hi there, I have just found a previous thread on this subject - there may be some useful tips in there fir you :) x

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/sex-tips-and-talk/1021109-taking-toys-on-holiday/

LIL_KNOWN69 [sign in to see picture]

Hey! We have taken toys abroad plenty of times, just ensure all batteries are removed as others have said and if the device has a rechargeable battery which cannot be removed try and check the manual for the locking switch. A lot of toys have a button or combination which you can press so it doesn't accidentally start having a fit in your bag and cause a bit of embarrassment. As with most things though it will be a discreet check behind a screen at most airports so you may just get a security man or woman have a look but you won't have to parade your toys around the airport for everyone to see.

Good advice about Abu Dhabi! They have strict rules so ensure toys are hidden very discreet or you may want to just keep them safe at home.

Vanessa8 [sign in to see picture]

I hope you find my advice helpful, but the majority of my travel is in North / Latin America. I carry on my luggage a majority of the time and have no reservations about packing my sex toys. For anything with a battery I highly recommend you remove them and store them seperate. If it is a recharable toy see if it has a travel lock and use it.

I place my toys that fit into Lovehoney Storage bags and then use a clear ziplock and label is "Personal Massager" with a sharpie. This way if my luggage is opened at the security checkpoint the inspector is not automatically touching my toy. I often travel with a wand, rabbitt, or gspot vibe. I always have a lipstick or pocket rocket in my purse / computer bag.

If I check my luggage I do that same packaging to discourage touching. Here in the US airport if they inspect your checked luggage it is not typically in front of you, instead it is a TSA inspection card that is placed in your bag so you see it after the fact.

The biggest restriction here is liquids, so I buy travel packet or sizes of lubricants and use the lovehoney wipes to clean on the go when traveling.

Know the laws of the country you are visiting, some places may have restrictions if it is a country with more conservative froms / influenced governemnt.

Belive me, you are not alone... thousands of people pass through security checkpoints at airports daily and have sex toys with them. Nothing to be embarassed about.

Bexy [sign in to see picture]

SugarSpice, I would definitely advise against wearing your jiggle balls through security. My suspender belt (a normal six strap belt) once set off the alarm and I had quite an embarrassing time as I was subjected to several repeat pat downs in front of the other passengers. To anyone watching, it would've been clear what the security officers were focusing on and what I was wearing. The fact I had black stockings on with a pale white toe peaking out from a rip didn't help matters much!

Whilst I wasn't massively embarrassed, as someone said to me after, the security staff are there to do an important job and they, and all the passengers behind you in the queue, just want to get everyone through as quickly as possible. If you ping the alarms wearing jiggle balls, you will probably have to be taken for an intimate examination and take one or two security officers away from the gates.

When I travel now, I tend to either wear a bodysuit with very minimal metal in it (no more than an underwired bra) or take my suspenders off before going through security, putting them in hand luggage or a coat pocket, and then putting them back on after passing through the security gate. I would suggest doing the same with your jiggle balls if you plan to wear them.

Vanessa8 [sign in to see picture]

oh goodness Bexy! yeah the body scanners here in the US would actually show the jingle ball / kegels inside you and you would be questioned. I am constantly subjected to additional screening if my jeans pockets have too thick of stitching, so they literally grope you butt / thighs, and then scan you hands for something. i am used to it at this point.

*sexybabe* [sign in to see picture]

I've just returned from holiday and I took loads! Good advice above about removing batteries. I packed everything in my suitcase as the hols luggage gets scanned at security. I travelled within Europe but I had no problems at all ☺️

Bexy [sign in to see picture]

We have body scanners here too now Vanessa 8 and from what I've seen of them, they can pinpoint bits of metal very easily. If you had a piece of metal inside your [insert word of choice for ladies area] I imagine that this would be an instant red flag to a security officer.

When I got pinged for wearing a suspender belt, it was one of the older style walk through scanners but they really made a big deal of it despite me telling the lady that I was wearing a suspender belt. I had to go back through the scanner several times, including with my hands over my head. I was patted down by two guards and had a wand/metal detector thing wafted all over my waist, hips and upper legs with the damn thing bleep everytime it came across a metal clasp!

SugarSpice [sign in to see picture]

Thank you Bexy..that was my thoughts exactly!

I think I'll just bag them up and put them in my hand luggage until we've passed through security. I could always nip to the bathroom whilst we're in the departure lounge and pop them in then!

I wouldn't want to risk setting the scanners off and go through the trouble of being questioned and searched just for the sake of a bit of pleasure..there's plenty of time for that :)

Lovehoney - Paige [sign in to see picture]

I am someone that knows a LOT about border security (it's an odd passion of mine) everyone jokes in the Australian office if I wasn't at Lovehoney i'd be in border security

SugarSpice.. please PLEASE do not wear jiggle balls through airport security. Incredibly dangerous for you, your travel plans and even your partner. If I am honest I wouldn't even risk it even generally on the plane and through the airport. It's not worth it. Have some fun as soon as you've left the airport!

In regards to the original question it really does depend on where you are travelling. Just some general tips are.. ensure no batteries are inside any toys, travel lock on if they are rechargable and if you are really worried about someone finding your sex toys I really suggest just not taking them on holiday. They are allowed to open your luggage, ask questions and look at them if neccesary.

I actually saw a really cute post not long ago of someone with their sex toys in a clear plastic baggy with a post it saying 'these are sex toys :)' which is a nice idea! I will likely do something similar to that in the future.

Places you will get formally told off if found would be Dubai, India, Egypt, Malasyia, Phillippines. Make sure you do your research. A good tip is if you find Lovehoney does not ship ship to there it's likely because it's illegal to.

I hope this helps a little!

Lovehoney - Paige wrote:

Places you will get formally told off if found would be Dubai, India, Egypt, Malasyia, Phillippines. Make sure you do your research. A good tip is if you find Lovehoney does not ship ship to there it's likely because it's illegal to.

@Lovehoney Paige, thanks for the info. I'll be traveling to India next week. Do you know if they confiscate your toys? Do they scan every bags upon arrival and departure?
    NatandTom [sign in to see picture]

4Uonly wrote:

Lovehoney - Paige wrote:

@Lovehoney Paige, thanks for the info. I'll be traveling to India next week. Do you know if they confiscate your toys? Do they scan every bags upon arrival and departure?

Some places will confiscate the toys. Other places will take legal action. A friend of mine went to the Middle East and she said there's an absolutely no tolerance policy for sex related items. I wouldn't risk taking them through countries where they are prohibited. It's just not worth it.

@NatandTom, sound advice. Thanks.

Lovehoney - Paige [sign in to see picture]

4Uonly wrote:

Lovehoney - Paige wrote:

Thanks NatandTom, very heplful :)

They are correct, we have tried to ship there in the past but parcels just get confiscated. If they were feeling particularly cranky i'm sure they would easily take legal action too. Not worth it to be honest, there is a retailer in India called thatspersonal which we reccomend to customers within India, if you're deperate for somethihng while you're there!

@Lovehoney Paige, thanks for the info and advice. Since I'm going India alone, think I'll improvise if the need arise.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.