FREE 1 Day Delivery - Spend £50 and 24-hour tracked delivery is FREE
  1. Coil or implant? Any advice?

    1259448876
    lustylou [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major
    • Posts: 59
    • Joined: 17 Jan 2008

    Thanks for the advice. What puts me off is that i currently do not have any bleeding at all. Certainly do not suffer from any pain or pmt. Am i being greedy expecting all this from a contraceptive? The nurse virtually promised that i would get all that i wanted as well as a good amount of weight loss and yet this appears to be different to all of your responses.This is the second time that one of the nurses at my practise has suggested that i change but it sought of feels in a way that its more of a time problem than anything else. They would rather only see me for a check up once a year rather than every 12 weeks. Perhaps im just cynical. Talking to my husband is no help as he says that contraception is my department. (unless i suggest condoms or even worse the snip.) My sister was sterilised and now with a new partner who now wants a baby. So i dont really want anything permanant just in case.

    1259449679
    Ecksvie [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1173
    • Joined: 11 Jun 2009

    Pretty much all contraception has side effects, and you've just been lucky up to this point that you havent had any negative ones. The same methods can affect different people differently too, so you wont necessarily get the same effects that we've had.

    The injections have sometimes been linked to brittle bones, so thats why they advise you dont use it for too many years, not that they dont want to see you.

    If I were you, I'd talk to your nurse or go to a GUM clinic about your options, since there are quite a few. They'll be able to give you leaflets with more detailed information that about side effects and all the stuff you'd need to know to make a decision. You wont need to make a decision there and then, so you can bring it all home and take your time on choosing the method that's right for you.

    1259449918
    lustylou [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major
    • Posts: 59
    • Joined: 17 Jan 2008

    Tried talking to the first nurse about my concerns about rough sex and then the return of periods but she told me not to be silly. God made me to have periods and i shouldnt go out of my way to stop them. I felt she stopped short of telling me off for wanting to use contraception in the first place. If thats her opinion then thats fine, by why is she working in a job that involves family planning?

    She was disgusted and failed to answer me on my concerns regarding rough sex. Hence why i saw a different nurse on my second visit. She was very lucky i didnt make a complaint about her. Although i dont think she is there any more.

    I'll have to look up the address of the local gum clinic and see if i can get any better advice from them.

    1259450448
    Ecksvie [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1173
    • Joined: 11 Jun 2009

    lustylou wrote:

    Tried talking to the first nurse about my concerns about rough sex and then the return of periods but she told me not to be silly. God made me to have periods and i shouldnt go out of my way to stop them. I felt she stopped short of telling me off for wanting to use contraception in the first place. If thats her opinion then thats fine, by why is she working in a job that involves family planning?

    She was disgusted and failed to answer me on my concerns regarding rough sex. Hence why i saw a different nurse on my second visit. She was very lucky i didnt make a complaint about her. Although i dont think she is there any more.

    I'll have to look up the address of the local gum clinic and see if i can get any better advice from them.

    That's terrible! That's actually made me really pissed off. It can be difficult to get up the courage to talk to a medical professional as it is, and responses like that are just intolerable. Gah! You're definitely right about finding someone else to talk to about it.

    My GUM clinic was great. I know normal nurses and GPs are trained to talk about sex and stuff, but these guys talk about it all day, every day, so they obviously need to be sensitive and open-minded about the kind of things they're gonna be asked all day by their patients. I've seen two different doctors at mine, and they were both lovely and didnt make me feel at all uncomfortable and told me everything I needed to know, as well as asking me several times if there was anything else I wanted to know to make sure I really knew everything and I was happy.

    The first doctor I saw was called Dr. Bush. That continues to get giggles out of me and my boyfriend lol.

    1259451226
    sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1827
    • Joined: 17 Nov 2008

    i'm considering the implant too, however it is the same hormones as cezarette which makes me bleed so its somehting to consider personally.

    1259451514
    Ecksvie [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1173
    • Joined: 11 Jun 2009

    sweetlove666 wrote:

    i'm considering the implant too, however it is the same hormones as cezarette which makes me bleed so its somehting to consider personally.

    I've not had any bleeding at all for months now on the implant, but these things do affect people differently.

    1259459829
    Rowan [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 533
    • Joined: 14 Jan 2009

    Okay. This is one I'm trying to work out currently as well. Due to medication (immuno-suppression and anti-epileptics), and Crohn's Disease it's a bit complicated. As high risk for brittle bones already they won't allow me depro; the pill interacts with meds and may be inadequately absorbed; so having been through all the options we could find we're left with either IUS or implanon. A couple of friends have had bad experiences with the IUS (both being fitted, infection and problems while it's been in) which puts me off. However I don't feel that this is a sound basis on which to make a decision. We have not had any children and it need only last for a year or so, I've never had terrible periods, only irregular, what advice can people give?

    1259507477
    sexynurse09 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 736
    • Joined: 21 Sep 2009

    Rowan wrote:

    Okay. This is one I'm trying to work out currently as well. Due to medication (immuno-suppression and anti-epileptics), and Crohn's Disease it's a bit complicated. As high risk for brittle bones already they won't allow me depro; the pill interacts with meds and may be inadequately absorbed; so having been through all the options we could find we're left with either IUS or implanon. A couple of friends have had bad experiences with the IUS (both being fitted, infection and problems while it's been in) which puts me off. However I don't feel that this is a sound basis on which to make a decision. We have not had any children and it need only last for a year or so, I've never had terrible periods, only irregular, what advice can people give?

    Hi Rowan,

    I was in the same boat as you. I have Crohns disease also and am on immunosuppresants (aza). I went on the pill when I was 17, I didn't have crohns then. My periods had always been irregular so the doc suggested the pill to make them more predictable.

    When I was diagnosed at 18 I was worried about whether the pill would continue to be effective, and did alot of reading about alternatives. When I had my next flare I decided I didn't want to risk it and went to family planning. They told me there that my only option really was the IUD, not the mirena, just the normal, non hormonal copper coil, which I was told would last for 10 years.

    I had it fitted, it was a little painful at first, but not worse than normal period pain, nothing paracetamol wouldn't sort out. In fact I had it fitted then went straight on to do a night shift, so it wasn't that bad.

    It was good for 6 months or so, then I started bleeding non stop. It wasn't heavy, but it was annoying. I went back to family planning and they said my body was rejecting the coil, and I needed to have it removed. They took it out and the bleeding stopped. I'm now back on the pill. I have since discovered that I don't have crohns in my small intestine so there are no absorption issues. It is in my large intestine. When I flare I just use condoms too to be safe (thats if I feel like sex!! lol). Hope this helps. Just because the coil didn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for you, if I were you i'd definatley consider it.

    xx

    PS: I'm sorry to hear some of you have had bad experiences with judgemental nurses. It is against our code of conduct to be judgemental and if I were you i'd be making complaints!!

    1259507607
    sexynurse09 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 736
    • Joined: 21 Sep 2009

    Oh it's also worth mentioning, the IUD can last for 10 years, but any time you want to have kids just get it removed and your fertility is immediatley restored. They advised against me having the IUS because of the hormones, and told me the IUD is smaller and lasts longer!

    1259509279
    Ally's wee princess [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Officer Cadet
    • Posts: 2
    • Joined: 7 Oct 2009

    hey hun i have the implant in the now i feel pregnant on the pill the down falls with the implant like anythin else it can make u not want sex as much, its sore for a few days but over all its great, i wouldnt advise gettin any type of coil as a friend of the family fell pregnant on it the implant is like having every thing took away if u understand tht hope i helped

    1259521730
    Ecksvie [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1173
    • Joined: 11 Jun 2009

    I actually disagree with that sticky. While I do think it's important to note that we're not doctors and should never be a replacement for your GP, I think hearing other people's accounts is important when choosing a method because there are things that doctors just dont know, having not actually had it themselves.

    But remember, these accounts are all very subjective, and what happens to us with one method might not happen with you.

    As for the implant making you not want sex, I was told that before I had it too. I was a virgin before I had it so I didnt have any sex drive at all at that point (not knowing what I was missing!), but now, if this is me with a reduced sex drive, I dont want to know what I would be like normally!

    1259522736
    Rowan [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 533
    • Joined: 14 Jan 2009

    Ach I've been to see them, thus the whittling down of options (neuro and epilepsy nurse were disagreeing so I thought the best option was to go to people who did it all day, every day). I've been extremely fortunate to have had absolutely no judgmental nurses or docs which always makes things easier,

    Thanks guys, especially SN and vicky. Generally my immune system, even on aza or steroids, is like chuck norris for pathogens but it has weak points and I'm less attached to my arm than *ahem* other bits. Main problem with the pill is that I'm on anti-epileptic meds and for it to work it's necssary to get a higher dose and I can't guarantee that even if taking it religiously. I've been on meds for CD for just over 18years thus the depro refusal.

    The folks at the sexual health clinic were great so I have an apt. this week with them and plan on wearing my decisive hat to it.

    AA I have never thought that what works for one person will be as effective or suitable for another healthwise, I just find it useful to seek responses from a wider demographic than my friends, most of whom are male anyway and not the ideal sources of comparative information about contraceptive options. Will have a look at the other thread though, thanks.

    1259523009
    Rowan [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 533
    • Joined: 14 Jan 2009

    Ecksvie wrote:

    I actually disagree with that sticky. While I do think it's important to note that we're not doctors and should never be a replacement for your GP, I think hearing other people's accounts is important when choosing a method because there are things that doctors just dont know, having not actually had it themselves.

    But remember, these accounts are all very subjective, and what happens to us with one method might not happen with you.

    As for the implant making you not want sex, I was told that before I had it too. I was a virgin before I had it so I didnt have any sex drive at all at that point (not knowing what I was missing!), but now, if this is me with a reduced sex drive, I dont want to know what I would be like normally!

    LOL. Thanks; these are the sorts of things that the docs are less able to tell me despite having a better grasp of the chemical reactions. They printed out a stack of study results for me but those just left me more confused than before I started!

    1259523274
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3406
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    Sorry Ecksvie, I have to agree with AA on this one (not that I was asked like, sorry I just like to add my bit sometimes hehe!), particularly with hormonal contraceptives....they effect each person so completely differently that you just can't really compare, and I'd hate for someone to be put off a contraceptive that might be perfect for them, just because I had a bad experience.

    I think people explaining their experiences can be helpful, particularly if a person is worried about a particular side effect, but that can't replace medical advice on this matter and it's worth remembering that none of us here are medical experts....unless some of us are, in which case I'm sure they'd probably tell you to see your doctor too!

    Is always worth bumping the medical advice thread as a reminder in these situations.

    Ax

    1259524130
    Ecksvie [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1173
    • Joined: 11 Jun 2009

    Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

    Ecksvie wrote:

    I actually disagree with that sticky. While I do think it's important to note that we're not doctors and should never be a replacement for your GP, I think hearing other people's accounts is important when choosing a method because there are things that doctors just dont know, having not actually had it themselves.

    But remember, these accounts are all very subjective, and what happens to us with one method might not happen with you.

    As for the implant making you not want sex, I was told that before I had it too. I was a virgin before I had it so I didnt have any sex drive at all at that point (not knowing what I was missing!), but now, if this is me with a reduced sex drive, I dont want to know what I would be like normally!

    Thats why I dont think its worth giving unproffessional advice on this sort of thing. Yes, finding out how they effect other people is one thing, but if its going to change the course of what you choose to do with your own medication, I dont think its a good idea.

    I just think that talking to a medical proffessional is the far better way to go, rather than taking advice from here wich could be completely wrong.

    I'm not saying taking advice from here is a good idea, but reading other people's accounts can be helpful sometimes.

    A doctor will tell you that you might get erratic bleeding, you might get this, you might get that, but they usually wont be able to tell you the percentage of people who experience a certain symptom. When I was looking around the internet trying to make a decision on whether to go for the injection or the implant, I found out some stuff that the doctor didnt or couldnt say. For example, I was told that both methods could make me put on weight. When I looked around, I found a fair few accounts of people putting on alot of weight on the injection, whereas relatively few, and less weight put on with the implant. I was aware I could still go on the implant and put on loads of weight or go on the injection and put on none, but the number of people describing the same symptoms were food for thought.

    My doctor told me everything that might happen. The internet went a fair way in giving me an idea of what was likely to happen. There's a difference there.

    1259525247
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3406
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    That's fair, but it can also put people off....for example I have read a LOT of bad things about the pill (particularly the one I take) but it works brilliantly for me, and I take it for endometriosis, by taking it I am postponing the chance of becoming infertile....Not one of those "bad things" I read said anything about this, I could have decided not to take it and not realised what I was risking had I not spoken to my doctor about it. Plus by having a decision formed before you speak to a doctor, you are less likely to take what they say seriously. In terms of contraception it's worth knowing absolutely everything you can possibly know before making a decision.

    I agree people's experience can be useful, but I was just saying I agree with AA bumping the medical advice thread as it is important to use other's advice as a supplement to medical advice rather than as a replacement.

    Ax

    1259526376
    Ecksvie [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1173
    • Joined: 11 Jun 2009

    I agree with what you say, I think it should definitely be a supplment rather than a replacement. With me, I did an initial search on the internet and was convinced the injection was what I wanted. I made an appointment in my GUM where the doctor talked me through my options and told me all about the different ones, and she more or less told me that my best options were the injection or the implant (given that I told her I didnt want to go on the pill due to problems with swallowing them and remembering to take them).

    She told me everything about both those methods, and I ended up swinging towards the implant. I came home and had a think, and had a look around the internet and the accounts I saw of both backed up the decision I'd almost come to with the doctor.

    I think reading other people's accounts can be incredibly important in knowing what the side effects are likely to be (rather than what they could be). I do think though that they shouldn't be taken too seriously, because as previously said, you might not get the same as everyone else. Just because 9 our of 10 people get one symptom, dont forget that you might be the 1 out of 10 that doesnt.

    I understand why the sticky is there, because they dont want people holding them responsible for a decision which may turn out badly. I'm not saying that people should make their decisions based on this, but after being given a number of options by a doctor, reading some more personal accounts, as well as the medical information given to you by the doctor, can help you reach a decision if you're having doubts or having difficulty in choosing between options.

    1259527200
    Rowan [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 533
    • Joined: 14 Jan 2009

    This is not about making a decision based on other people's experiences. Having been asked every hospital visit since I was 13 'are you pregnant', being on the pill while on AED's in the past which prevented it from working as it should, I have looked into the MEDICAL lines thouroughly. I've discussed things with the gastro consultant, neurologist, epilepsy nurse, rhuem, the GP and the sexual health clinic who were the most helpful. Illuminating as listening to their advice was (which dissuaded me from 3 options I would have tried) having done so I am left with two options which they have presented as being fairly equal in terms of side effects and convenience. There are only 2 women, one of whom has only ever been on the pill and used condoms that I tend to discuss such things with , and occasionally my mother, who was the exception to the rule for health reasons and only one method worked for her. Therefore knowing as much as I can about the theory I was curious about how each of the two I am considering with the med team operate in practice. In clinical terms the pros and cons seem fairly even, despite a different distrbution. I am NOT ignoring the docs advice, nor planning to try something on an 'it worked for her' basis but I do occasionally find, if nothing else that open discussion can highlight aspects that I had overlooked and failed to consider when examining the merits of a particular thing.

    1259529205
    Ecksvie [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1173
    • Joined: 11 Jun 2009

    My problem with the sticky is that it words it in a way that says to me that nobody should ask for advice because we're not medical professionals therefore it's bad.

    Specifically:

    Please consult your doctor instead of asking for help or advice in these forums as each person's individual biological make-up means that what might work for one person, won't work for another.

    It's the instead that bugs me, because I think hearing other people's accounts can be an extremely good and helpful thing in the right situations. Were I to write that sticky, I'd place importance on seeing your doctor, since they know you and your medical situation in far more detail than we ever will, and ultimately, if they advise one thing, then listen to them because they've spent years in university to learn everything that went into giving you that recommendation. However, I place importance on hearing other's accounts and dont think they should be disallowed, but it should be used as a decision aid rather than a decision maker. The only advice that should be a decision maker is your doctor's, but sometimes they give you a choice, and you might need help making that.

    1259529576
    diamonds [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 713
    • Joined: 14 Aug 2007

    see i think for hundreds of years women have to talked to other women about periods, boobs and controception so i really dont see a problem with peole discussing these things on here, its something all women have gone through, going through or going to go through in time.

    yes go to a doctor but talk to you fellow females as well is my view!

    Dxx

    Post a reply to this thread

    Please sign in to post messages to the forum.