FREE 1 Day Delivery - Spend £50 and 24-hour tracked delivery is FREE
  1. Contraceptive Implant

    1294258490
    Nymeria [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 999
    • Joined: 26 Mar 2010

    Ecksvie wrote:

    x X x wrote:

    Me too. I chose the depo Injection for when I went on holiday and have been using it since.

    It works great. It was crap for the first 3 months (spotting and extremely lethargic) but the second shot really helped with easing off my periods all together and my mood.

    The Implant option always seemed a little extreme for me.

    I think the reason why the story got so big was perhaps the boom in women getting pregnant with it.

    I dont see why. For me it was between the implant and the injection, but it would be such a hassle going back every three months for an injection, especially considering I absolutely had no intention of having a baby in the next three years. To me, getting needled every three months seems extreme!

    I hate the thought of having something stuck in me like that.. Makes it seem like a pacemaker type thing. lol

    The injection suits me and my lifestyle. I think the 3 monthly option is quite bearable compared with the daily pill etc. I guess it depends on your take on it. I don't really mind injections on the whole and it seems convenient for me. I don't intend on getting pregnant too for the next 2/3 years.. still prefer the needle.

    1305453654
    EmilyBlenkins [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 247
    • Joined: 1 Nov 2010

    *bump*

    Hey, everyone. I've bolded the questions so if you don't want to read all you don't have to :)

    I'm getting the implant done on Thursday, I had a consultation at my clinic and I decided for me the implant was the best option because I have a long-distance realtionship and I see him for a week every 2-3 months, so going on the pill or patch seemed alot of work for not that long a time, and it seemed a better option for me than any other methods.

    Basically, I'm going on Holiday with my OH in July for a week and then he'll be moved up here for good so I thought getting it asap would be the best as it would give me time to see for problems etc, and I was just wondering; from your previous experiences did you think the worst of the irregular bleeding and what not were over within the first few months or do you think i'll still be having problems in July? Also, how long does it take for the whole procedure?

    1305454038
    sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1827
    • Joined: 17 Nov 2008

    with the irregular bleeding it is really down to the individual!

    I haven't bled at all really, probably light spotting one day every few months. It is different for everyone though.

    As for the procedure.

    i had a consultation,fitting and a full sti test within 15 minuetes. for the insertion it took about 2 minuetes, and another three or so talking through the side effects and info from the doctor.

    1305455789
    EmilyBlenkins [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 247
    • Joined: 1 Nov 2010

    Thank you very much, I thought that might be the case but I'm glad I got someone's input :)

    1305456168
    occhiverdi [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 687
    • Joined: 9 Aug 2010

    I have a friend with the implant and she spots on and off but I dont think its anything horrific.... good luck :)

    1305456491
    EmilyBlenkins [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 247
    • Joined: 1 Nov 2010

    I really hope i'm the same

    The first few months can be really bad apparently though

    1305457818
    sexy little minx [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 526
    • Joined: 8 Nov 2009

    Hi EB.

    As SL said the bleeding is down to the individual.

    I had mine fitted march last year. I didn't bleed for the first 5 or 6 weeks then bled on and off for a few months. Then I got some spotting every month for a few months then a proper period for a couple of months. Last 1 I had was march. So really it has taken a year with me to settle down properly.

    I've spoken to the Doctor and nurse and they both said there was nothing to worry about, that's just how my body has reacted with it.

    I know other people with the implant who have had no bleeding at all and I know others who have bled quite bad. There is however a tablet you can get from the Doctors if you are bleeding bad or constantly which stops the bleeding.

    There are loads of plus points to the implant but it's just the settling down process.

    That's just my experiences and everyone is different.

    The actual procedure of fitting the implant only takes about 5 minutes, the rest of the time is spent talking. It doesnt hurt either although I had a whacking great bruise on my arm for about a week after!

    Let us know how you get on. x

    1305459608
    EmilyBlenkins [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 247
    • Joined: 1 Nov 2010

    Thank you SLM, I really hope I'm one of the few that have no bleeding.

    I'm not too worried about pain, I don't have a problem with needles at all, I am looking foward to seeing the bruise though

    1305461142
    sexy little minx [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 526
    • Joined: 8 Nov 2009

    EmilyBlenkins wrote:

    Thank you SLM, I really hope I'm one of the few that have no bleeding.

    I'm not too worried about pain, I don't have a problem with needles at all, I am looking foward to seeing the bruise though

    Your welcome. I was hoping I didn't put you off getting it, that's why I had said just my experiences.

    You just get a local anesthetic then you don't feel them putting it in at all, great! My bruise was a cracker! x

    1305461445
    EmilyBlenkins [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 247
    • Joined: 1 Nov 2010

    Haha, no; If anything you made me more confident.

    Haha, I might have to take a picture of this bruise I'm hoping I get a good one, cause I never get decent bruises....

    1305461983
    sexy little minx [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 526
    • Joined: 8 Nov 2009

    EmilyBlenkins wrote:

    Haha, no; If anything you made me more confident.

    Haha, I might have to take a picture of this bruise I'm hoping I get a good one, cause I never get decent bruises....

    I thought just best to be honest about it, glad to hear it's made you more confident about getting it.

    Hope it all goes well hun. x

    1305462145
    rt11 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Lieutenant
    • Posts: 7
    • Joined: 12 Dec 2010

    Yeah, it does depend on the individual, the OH had it done almost 2years ago and every so often there's bleeding which she finds frustrating depending how she feels at the time, apart from that no problems.

    1305463406
    sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1827
    • Joined: 17 Nov 2008

    EmilyBlenkins wrote:

    Haha, no; If anything you made me more confident.

    Haha, I might have to take a picture of this bruise I'm hoping I get a good one, cause I never get decent bruises....

    I didn't bruise that badly from it, and i'm the type of person who wakes up with random bruises most mornings. was only about the size of a 50p piece and was gone within a few days. though the pic was on my old mobile so it's lost. Think it's down to how gentle the medical professional is in putting the implant in.

    1305463644
    EmilyBlenkins [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 247
    • Joined: 1 Nov 2010

    Oh, well I hope I bruise but knowing me.. I won't -.-

    1305464027
    EmilyBlenkins [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 247
    • Joined: 1 Nov 2010

    Loves huni wrote:

    EmilyBlenkins wrote:

    *bump*

    Hey, everyone. I've bolded the questions so if you don't want to read all you don't have to :)

    I'm getting the implant done on Thursday, I had a consultation at my clinic and I decided for me the implant was the best option because I have a long-distance realtionship and I see him for a week every 2-3 months, so going on the pill or patch seemed alot of work for not that long a time, and it seemed a better option for me than any other methods.

    Basically, I'm going on Holiday with my OH in July for a week and then he'll be moved up here for good so I thought getting it asap would be the best as it would give me time to see for problems etc, and I was just wondering; from your previous experiences did you think the worst of the irregular bleeding and what not were over within the first few months or do you think i'll still be having problems in July? Also, how long does it take for the whole procedure?

    oooh so happy that hell be moving down for good hunny! thats exciting!

    im on the implant and have been for 1-2 years as for bleeding it is irregular but personally i tend to have a 'period' once every couple of months, sometimes it can just be 1-2 days sometimes it can be 6,7,8 i think my longest being 9 days, i am fairly heavy, but nothing compred to how i used to be EVERY month! so for me its been a huge relief and lets me get on with my life! i think ill always have occasional bleeding but for me its a lot less trouble than ive had with anything else but i think it depends on the individual!

    i think the whole procedure probably took no more than half an hour, and thats with having a chat filling out anything necessary pinning me to the bed and putting it in! im a big wuss when it comes to needles and hate them but the actual putting it in took less than about 3 minutes and then i dont have to do anything for 3 years so seemed like a lot of gain for a little pain/worry

    but yeah its been the best option for me by far, im just not looking forward to having it out lol x

    Yay!! Me too It'll make all the waiting worth while :)

    Bleeding wise, I'm really quite heavy so any improvement will be better, honestly.

    I'm glad everyone's saying it isn't long because I actually went in with a friend for the consultation and it took about 3 hours.. Because I have depression and she has migranes and we had to go through all these checks to look at possible damages to our health. So hopefuly, it'll be much quicker now we have all the health stuff out the ways and it'll just be a repeat of the problems it could cause etc.

    I suppose, if I do end up with a small bruise it'll be good because there won't be (much) questions asked..

    I saw earlier some people said it was uncomfortable once the bandage was off, did you have this problem?

    1305465736
    EmilyBlenkins [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 247
    • Joined: 1 Nov 2010

    That's weird, the woman i spoke to said that it could have really bad effects because of the mood swings and my medication, although she looked it up and didn't find anything so she assumed they'd changed it. She also looked up the effects with my medication (Fluoxetine) and saw nothing there so she said it would be okay.

    1305466646
    EmilyBlenkins [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 247
    • Joined: 1 Nov 2010

    Ah great, thank make's me feel better ! :D Thank you x

    1305487650
    Ecksvie [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1173
    • Joined: 11 Jun 2009

    EmilyBlenkins wrote:

    *bump*

    Hey, everyone. I've bolded the questions so if you don't want to read all you don't have to :)

    I'm getting the implant done on Thursday, I had a consultation at my clinic and I decided for me the implant was the best option because I have a long-distance realtionship and I see him for a week every 2-3 months, so going on the pill or patch seemed alot of work for not that long a time, and it seemed a better option for me than any other methods.

    Basically, I'm going on Holiday with my OH in July for a week and then he'll be moved up here for good so I thought getting it asap would be the best as it would give me time to see for problems etc, and I was just wondering; from your previous experiences did you think the worst of the irregular bleeding and what not were over within the first few months or do you think i'll still be having problems in July? Also, how long does it take for the whole procedure?

    For me, I missed my first period after getting the implant fitted. The second one came although it was considerably lighter than normal, then I had a very small amount of spotting every day for perhaps a month or two (which wasn't half as bad as it might sound! It really was the tiniest amount, hardly worth mentioning). Now I get a half assed period once or twice a year, I love it!

    As others have said though, it really is an individual thing and our experiences might not be something to go on.

    1305488450
    cheer_up [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 269
    • Joined: 9 Mar 2011

    I've had the Implant for almost two years now, and I'm just saying, I have not had the positive experience everyone else seems to have had.

    My periods have never been regular (we're talking nothing for two months, three weeks on, one week off, on for a further week again as standard), but the Implant made them heavier and more painful for a good year and a half. Now they're back to how they were before I had the Implant put in. I wish I was one of the lucky people whose periods stopped! I also noticed that every doctor I have seen about it, if I even mentioned considering getting it taken out, basically said they would not do it.

    My friend (who has now had hers removed) had the same problem, but it literally took her shouting at a doctor to make them agree to take it out. She had it fitted before me, and had it back out after six months because she bled every day. She also put on a lot of weight, which is one of her greatest fears, and she pretty much doesn't eat so it wasn't change of diet or anything; it was a side-effect of Implanon.

    I'm not trying to put you off or anything, and please don't take this the wrong way. I'm just sharing what I know of the Implant; I really hope it suits you because it is a damn snazzy little bit of kit. I'm just saying that it can be a little bitch.

    As for bruising, my friend got one the size of a 20p piece. I got a massive purple bruise (I think my nurse was a part-time butcher; she tried putting the Implant in before the anaesthetic had kicked in...) which, creepily enough, was the exact outline of a child. Very peculiar.

    1305489756
    EmilyBlenkins [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 247
    • Joined: 1 Nov 2010

    Ecksvie wrote:

    EmilyBlenkins wrote:

    *bump*

    Hey, everyone. I've bolded the questions so if you don't want to read all you don't have to :)

    I'm getting the implant done on Thursday, I had a consultation at my clinic and I decided for me the implant was the best option because I have a long-distance realtionship and I see him for a week every 2-3 months, so going on the pill or patch seemed alot of work for not that long a time, and it seemed a better option for me than any other methods.

    Basically, I'm going on Holiday with my OH in July for a week and then he'll be moved up here for good so I thought getting it asap would be the best as it would give me time to see for problems etc, and I was just wondering; from your previous experiences did you think the worst of the irregular bleeding and what not were over within the first few months or do you think i'll still be having problems in July? Also, how long does it take for the whole procedure?

    For me, I missed my first period after getting the implant fitted. The second one came although it was considerably lighter than normal, then I had a very small amount of spotting every day for perhaps a month or two (which wasn't half as bad as it might sound! It really was the tiniest amount, hardly worth mentioning). Now I get a half assed period once or twice a year, I love it!

    As others have said though, it really is an individual thing and our experiences might not be something to go on.

    Thank you for your input, the opinions aren't something I'm deciding it on i just wanted to hear peoples experiences from a community I trust instead of over exaggerated articles or info sheets.

    I hope I'm as lucky as you.

    cheer_up wrote:

    I've had the Implant for almost two years now, and I'm just saying, I have not had the positive experience everyone else seems to have had.

    My periods have never been regular (we're talking nothing for two months, three weeks on, one week off, on for a further week again as standard), but the Implant made them heavier and more painful for a good year and a half. Now they're back to how they were before I had the Implant put in. I wish I was one of the lucky people whose periods stopped! I also noticed that every doctor I have seen about it, if I even mentioned considering getting it taken out, basically said they would not do it.

    My friend (who has now had hers removed) had the same problem, but it literally took her shouting at a doctor to make them agree to take it out. She had it fitted before me, and had it back out after six months because she bled every day. She also put on a lot of weight, which is one of her greatest fears, and she pretty much doesn't eat so it wasn't change of diet or anything; it was a side-effect of Implanon.

    I'm not trying to put you off or anything, and please don't take this the wrong way. I'm just sharing what I know of the Implant; I really hope it suits you because it is a damn snazzy little bit of kit. I'm just saying that it can be a little bitch.

    As for bruising, my friend got one the size of a 20p piece. I got a massive purple bruise (I think my nurse was a part-time butcher; she tried putting the Implant in before the anaesthetic had kicked in...) which, creepily enough, was the exact outline of a child. Very peculiar.

    Thank you for giving me a bad experience, that helps me see both sides.

    My clinic seem really supportive about taking it out as soon as I have problems so I don't think it'll be that much of an issue for me, and if it is then I will make them.

    She did go through all the possible side effects, it's just a shame you had such a bad effect for it.

    I think it's still something I want to do.

    And that bruise does sound weird. IT'S A SIGN

    Post a reply to this thread

    Please sign in to post messages to the forum.