FREE delivery when you spend £40 (or more!)
  1. Internet Dating

honeybun91 [sign in to see picture]

I have before although obviously not ended well lol, I would def def need to get to know them a bit before meeting and even then might not know everything about them until a few months in when their true colours show. Although can say that about any relationship wherever you meet them. Just be careful they're the person in the pic ha

Throbinhood [sign in to see picture]

haha yes honey lots of men pretending to be women too :) Please should always be honest as they get found out in the end :)

NiceGuyNorthEast [sign in to see picture]

Been on for a while and having a break at the moment, I just find that a lot of people are faceist (if that is even a word) and it is too easy just to dismiss on looks.

Had a few dates, they went ok, but also had a lot of wasted time.

Tallish Darkish & Average [sign in to see picture]

Hi, going to bump this thread so those of us looking can give a bit of support, help and suggestion in the minefield that has become online dating.

Now, I am very new to this and, having a few issues putting the first message down any advice happily received.

Basically I've spotted a few profiles and due to lack of a reply rate am after help. One of the prospective lucky ladies shares an interest one doesn't, both profiles are fairly thin on information but have several pictures.

After several non replies from both people with similar interests and otherwise just wondering if anyone has any ice breakers for want of a better term. Anyway thanks in advance.

Adam17 [sign in to see picture]

I met my ex online we spoke for around 2 years then finally got together. We were together 7 years and have a gorgeous son. Unfortunately we broke up quite recently but the time we had was amazing. Internet dating is not strange or something to be ashamed of, it's how people meet each other now. Times are changing

ShyAndChatty [sign in to see picture]

I'm on OKCupid because have been advised here and it was good advice as the very good thing about it is you have to write a bio and it's nice to see that some men write loads on them sometimes!!! However in my opinion i feel like i am a product on a shelf on a black friday because basically you can browse profiles and hit like (so if you click a few it's like you fill your trolley) so every day i got a list of people who like me but they don't message me so i wrote on my profile don't hit like if you are not going to message me (i just find it annoying because if i like someone i hit like and message straight away so i don't see why guys shouldn't be the same) or when i decide to message after all oh well let 's give a shot right? Then they don't even have the decency to reply which is even more frustrating, i already didn't want to do dating online and i have to say I'm not impressed but at least i think I've made a friend who lives in the area so little success i suppose, i think I'm just frustrated i havmet my OH yet 😔😔😔

capt [sign in to see picture]

Internet dating approached with an open mind and no preconceptions is great - I met my ex-gf (OK, not a good example) and my now-wife (much better ending!) through internet dating. We've been together over six years and married for the last two and a half years. It was on either Match or Match Affinity (I forget which... you can tell I'm now married). You'll know pretty quickly who the time-wasters are, or who's not really interested. For me, both successes just arose from an inital attraction to the other profile, then emailing back and forth and from basic likes/dislikes mentioned, the conversations opened up quite quickly and became very natural, leading on to phone calls and then meeting in person. If conversations hadn't opened up fairly quickly from the initial basics, it would probably have indicated to me that it wasn't necessarily gonna be a match (or match affinity?) made in heaven. These days it can be pretty difficult to meet the opposite sex due to university / careers / moving frequently for jobs or education, etc, all of which are far more common than they used to be. Society is far more accepting of this as well, contrary to years ago when it used to be seen as a last resort. I used to be quite shy around the opposite sex, whereas my best mate at uni was always seeing someone, vastly more confident than me, etc... we both ended up meeting our wives online. I avoided the freebie sites with the view that a paid site might indicate members are a bit more serious about a relationship, but that's just personal preference. I'd definitely recommend not going in desperate to meet Mr/Mrs Right instantly and live happily ever ever. Just relax and enjoy the experience and hopefully you'll meet someone special. Nothing to lose, and nothing ventured...

Re posting here because hopefully I’ve met the person who’s gonna change my life on okcupid been chatting and Skyping for 5 months so now I’ve decided to go to NZ from France just to give us a chance because I think it’s worth it (and visit Australia as well while I’m there 😊) fingers crossed we’ll be great together, I know it’s reeeeeeeaaaaaaally cheesy but I believe our paths met for a reason and maybe the fact I met this Australian couple before is a sign………

AmyA [sign in to see picture]

ShyAndChatty wrote:

Re posting here because hopefully I’ve met the person who’s gonna change my life on okcupid been chatting and Skyping for 5 months so now I’ve decided to go to NZ from France just to give us a chance because I think it’s worth it (and visit Australia as well while I’m there 😊) fingers crossed we’ll be great together, I know it’s reeeeeeeaaaaaaally cheesy but I believe our paths met for a reason and maybe the fact I met this Australian couple before is a sign………

Wishing you so much luck, I know like me you were struggling to see how things could change so it's so nice to hear this and just goes to show not to give up as I might also have met someone, actually I've known him since we were children were but only really got back in touch properly on New year's Day. It's early days but it's so nice to have some hope isn't it.

Knight1119 [sign in to see picture]

Sorry to be negative, but my experiences were unpleasant.
    I wish you the best of luck.

WildThing [sign in to see picture]

I met the love of my life online and have no regrets about having done so.....

I think you need to be careful - I remember the first time we met so vividly - never been so nervous in my life! But it was worth it.... I think sometimes the people we are shines through in everything that we do, be that talking in person, online or in the small gifts and trinkets that are given to people.... all of that is part of a person, so although people often say "oh, people hide behind a facade online", actually, it is a part, and an important part, of who that person is.

I say good luck, and good things can happen.

scotman [sign in to see picture]

After being married and in the relationship for 30years finding the dating thing very difficult. Internet dating seems to be very strange. Ladies not reading profiles and sending messages to the wrong age range very frustrating ☚ī¸

AmyA wrote:

ShyAndChatty wrote:

Wishing you so much luck, I know like me you were struggling to see how things could change so it's so nice to hear this and just goes to show not to give up as I might also have met someone, actually I've known him since we were children were but only really got back in touch properly on New year's Day. It's early days but it's so nice to have some hope isn't it.

I haven’t been on for a while and I have to admit I went to see how you were doing and I saw in a thread where you were talking about it -, I’m so pleased for you too and having someone you know since forever is really amazing -, I wish I would have that but no, never mind we’re gonna take it really slowly and see how it goes, we’re both worried that we’re gonna disappoint each other but I believe in this and I’m going really far for him so yes hope is needed really, but I still can’t believe this is happening I’ve tried 2 other dating sites and okc has been the best so far so good luck to us all in this situation

ToGildALily [sign in to see picture]

I mostly hate it with a passion. While I did meet somebody on internet dating it involved a lot of filtering through absolute dross.

First was the guy who loved to tell me what he'd do to me in a sexual situation. It was not invited and for somebody I had never met, I find such talk just a bit threatening when I never invited it or wanted it to continue.

Second was the one who insisted that my chainmail hobby was great for fetish wear. I am aware of it being a particular fetish but not why I make jewellery or costume pieces out of it. I like making jewellery and my costume pieces are more along reenactment or other costume lines.

Saving the best for last. The guy who when I did a little background checking on. He had a different surname in his Facebook URL but I Googled both names and the city he lived in. First thing that appeared were articles and photos of the guy who was charged for assaulting a woman. His occupation and main interest matched so it was hardly coincidence. She I queried if I may have seen him in the papers, his reaction was defensive right away. Aggressively so. I didn't mention the nature of what I had seen but his reaction said enough.

So on the whole I don't like it. I would be very reluctant to use it again as so many guys just didn't appeal to me or were having the kind of conversations I wouldn't be having with anybody until I felt I knew them better and was sure I was and they were, interested. To be brutal, I felt disgusted that this was what was out there and how men felt was appropriate to talk to me.

K&c30's [sign in to see picture]

I met my wife on thr internet 8 years ago. Happily married with 3 kids now. I think what did it for us is that we talked for about 2 months before meeting never once being sexual and just getting to know each other. When we did finally meet it felt as if we already knew each other enough that it wasn't awkward at all. From there it moved really quickly as we both just knew.

My advise... take slow. To often internet dating is jist used for a casual hook ups. Which is fine if thays all you are looking for.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.