• The Masturbation Gap (male and female masturbation)

Lovehoney - Alice [sign in to see picture]

How many terms for male masturbation can you think of?

How many terms for female masturbation can you think of?

If I'm being honest, I can think of probably 1 term for female masturbation for every 5 for male masturbation.

A recent article in Psychology Today has suggested that there is a 'masturbation gap' quite like the 'pay gap' between men and women.

It starts by suggesting that a fear of masturbation started at around the same time as our culture began to develop a sense of 'privacy'. For hundreds of years we all lived communally and it was only when people began to have their own personal retiring rooms that a fear of 'self-abuse' arose. A fear about what people would indulge in when not being watched by the rest of their community.

The study cites research that backs up the theory of a masturbation gap:

"According to the research, over 95% of males have masturbated to orgasm by age 20, compared to around 60% of women (with some studies suggesting an even larger gap)."

And links female masturbation with a better sex life:

"The discrepancy with regard to masturbation is doubly problematic because masturbation, it turns out, is a particularly important predictor of sexual health and happiness for women, more so then for men. One of the best predictors of whether a woman will be able to achieve orgasm in her sexual relations is a history of masturbation in adolescence."

I thoroughly recommend reading the article - it's an interesting read.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/insight-therapy/201009/the-masturbation-gap

Now I know we're a rather free and enlightened group of people and I suspect there is less of a gender gap between men and women on LoveHoney when it comes to masturbation. But what do you make of the article? Has Sex and the City and the Rabbit turned the tide with female masturbation, or has it hardly made any impact? Does masturbating, whether you're male or female, have a beneficial knock-on effect on your sex life with a partner?

Ilovemyman [sign in to see picture]

I think masturbation has a good impact on my sex life, if for some reason i don't have sex or masturbate i can easily just not want sex for weeks! The more sex or masturbation i have the more i want! I found the article about fear next to this one interesting too!

Male- wank, spank the monkey, bash the bishop, knuckle shuffle,busting a nut, crank one off. can't think of any more!

Female- Flick the bean hmmm i think thats it lol

WandA [sign in to see picture]

Great thread!

I agree there is a gap between the terms, but I'm not so sure what these means if indeed it means anything and isn't just a quirk of language. I can think of more terms for number 2s than number 1s! I do imagine there is some element of 'catch up' at play as female masturbation is much more freely discussed than in the past.

I wonder if they type of jobs many men have had has played a part in this. Navies, armies and long jobs away from the privacy of the home may all bring jokes about Dave having a shuffle last night to the forefront while women traditionally stayed at home with privacy. Perhaps this goes full circle to the end of communal living you discuss.

It would be interesting to see the masturbation rates of communal hunter gatherer peoples. I find it hard to belief people wishing to control others sexuality only arose once the concept of privacy became established. I think hierarchy and power is much more likely to be a factor at play (see the traditionally hierarchical monotheistic power structures for examples of sexual control and which I think is still the dominant sexual control over people's lives).

I don't doubt there is a gap, although I have issues with the arbitrary age of 20. Women, much more than men, are likely to get less out of sex in the early years of their exploration I think. Men have pretty obvious in your face reminders, they generally reach orgasm and are less likely to suffer pain and the facts mentioned in the piece. Putting aside the mental components of sex, women's sexuality generally seems to be more physiologically complex and require more fine tuning, factors that may make it less likely to carry one giving it another go. Perhaps it's best to choose an age past twenty when more knowledge and experience has been gained?

I have some issues with psychology in general, it seems too intuitive and seems to speak too strongly on these intuitions. I think the simple Man culture=pleasure, Woman culture=Pleasure, Meh, is very crude and looking for cause where none exists, something as subjective as this can be turned around very easily. Psychology fluffs up neurology, evolutionary behaviour and empirical sciences in to some strange mixture while cherry picking, to be a science it must be objective not subjective.

Perhaps we have a cause/correlation issue at play here. Do women who masturbate younger have 'better' sex when they're older because they masturbated or does it display something about their character, perhaps they're more uninhibited or more inquisitive or just have 'bits' that are more accessible to the big O, after all not all women find it easy to cum.

Sex is more acceptable and much more commercial, is this a good thing? In my opinion probably. Is it being done correctly? Probably not. Sex in the City and crappy mags provide a watered down version of sexuality that focus on the extremes sex.

I rambled a lot here! I'm sure at least one of my points is useful...

Malteser81 [sign in to see picture]

Well personally I remember masterbating to orgasm long before I was 14...... i'm not sure exact age but I would say maybe 11. I remember not knowing that I was masterbating exactly and infact doing an personal sexual act..... to me it was a way to make me feel good and much better, even send me to sleep, ok that also hapens now but ive always been a very sexual person.

As far as WandA mentioned "Do women who masturbate younger have 'better' sex when they're older because they masturbated or does it display something about their character, perhaps they're more uninhibited or more inquisitive or just have 'bits' that are more accessible to the big O, after all not all women find it easy to cum" I find this interesting and now I wonder if ive always wanted as much from sex as I can? This will be somthing i'll be mulling over for at least the next week lol.

Thread closed

This thread is closed, so no new messages can be posted.