• IUD? Yay or Nay.

    1294927405
    LittleMiss1981UK [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major
    • Posts: 116
    • Joined: 31 Dec 2010

    I have awful periods. Very very heavy and they make me shy because sometimes I bleed so bad, it comes though.

    I won't let my OH sleep in same bed when its my time of the month.

    I dont take any contraception, I am not allowed due to the cancer treatment I am on. So its condoms all the way.

    Just trying differents ones is fun though,

    1294927431
    toycar69 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 574
    • Joined: 13 Jul 2010

    just interested, does the mirena have any effect on endometriosis? My wifey is on the pill constantly for this (no breaks for a week, no periods) and noticing that ladies on the mirena are getting few if any periods, I wondered if it would help endo too.

    1294927946
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3406
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    toycar69 wrote:

    just interested, does the mirena have any effect on endometriosis? My wifey is on the pill constantly for this (no breaks for a week, no periods) and noticing that ladies on the mirena are getting few if any periods, I wondered if it would help endo too.

    I'm on the pill for the same reason so would be interested in the answer to this!

    It is best to ask your doctor though. As far as I'm aware, anything stopping the bleed is good for you (prevents the scarring that can lead to infertility and is the reason some women are cured by having a baby). But I'm not sure so it really is best to ask the doctor. I'm happy on the pill for the time being but am considering changing in the not so distant future. Possibly when I finish uni, because I've been on the pill for a very long time now and a change would mean I can stop having to actually take a pill!

    Adx

    1294928137
    toycar69 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 574
    • Joined: 13 Jul 2010

    Alicia D'amore wrote:

    is the reason some women are cured by having a baby

    Note, only SOME though AD. My wifey wasn't unfortunately. I was wondering as I thought it might have a different effect on libido than the pill.

    1294928567
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3406
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    toycar69 wrote:

    Alicia D'amore wrote:

    is the reason some women are cured by having a baby

    Note, only SOME though AD. My wifey wasn't unfortunately. I was wondering as I thought it might have a different effect on libido than the pill.

    Same reason I want out at some point - side effects aren't ideal for me but you don't get the same control with other contraceptives - coil, implant, depo - all things that you *can* stop having periods on, but it's different for everyone. At least on the pill you can just keep taking it and your almost guaranteed to stop having periods - though I could happily go 6month no prob on microgynon, changed to yasmin 'cause was sick of the side effects and I could manage about 3/4 months before my body would just start bleeding with or without a break. Now I've just started another one but it's making me very emotional so may switch again if it's still like that after 3 months. Different pills have different side effects so it's worth chopping and changing to find one that suits.

    Adx

    Adx

    1294928991
    toycar69 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 574
    • Joined: 13 Jul 2010

    Alicia D'amore wrote:

    microgynon

    Ooh, I think thats what Wifey is on. No terrible mood swing side effects for her, but her sex drive is as low as ever.

    I know she is capable of having/wanting frequent sex, as we managed it (off the pill) when trying for a baby. In reality I'm not sure I could convince her to try a different pill, let alone a coil instead, so I guess for me this is all just for interests sake.

    1294929304
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3406
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    toycar69 wrote:

    Alicia D'amore wrote:

    microgynon

    Ooh, I think thats what Wifey is on. No terrible mood swing side effects for her, but her sex drive is as low as ever.

    I know she is capable of having/wanting frequent sex, as we managed it (off the pill) when trying for a baby. In reality I'm not sure I could convince her to try a different pill, let alone a coil instead, so I guess for me this is all just for interests sake.

    Mine was low on ovranette and microgynon, improved on yasmin, seems to have declined a little on my current pill but too early to tell.

    No period change on ovranette, lighter and more predictable on microgynon, light but less predictable on yasmin and I've not had on yet on my current one.

    Moods were fine on ovranette, slightly increased on microgynon but not really noticeable, fine on yasmin but I seem more emotional on my current one but again it's too early to tell.

    Dryness increased on ovranette and microgynon then increased even more on yasmin and it's too early to tell on the current one.

    It really does vary for different people - I'm looking for one that 1) doesn't make my joints worse as yasmin did 2) doesn't dampen my libido as they all did (but yasmin was a little better) 3) lightens my periods/means I can take many packets in a row and miss periods/makes my periods more reliable and less painful and hopefully less dryness but I can live with that one.

    Adxx

    1294929781
    toycar69 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 574
    • Joined: 13 Jul 2010

    Sounds like you have put a lot more thought into documenting what each one did to you!

    As for Mirena / endo, a little googling turned this up

    http://www.endometriosis.org/mirena.html

    A quick summary is that its a bit early yet, but studies show it is effective for endo. Lower progestogen means less hormonal side effects.

    1294930341
    MissTerryCleavage [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 893
    • Joined: 1 Feb 2010

    I can def say the hormonal side effects are next to nothing for me, well if anything they have made me much better, no PMT/mood swings/crabbiness etc, I generally just feel better all round.

    No idea on the endo thing am afraid, but def worth asking the Dr.

    As for libido, mine appears to be through the roof, but that could be other things too, hard to really say, as Ad has said everything effects everyone so differently, it's impossible to say.

    Hope you can find something that works tho

    1294930385
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3406
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    toycar69 wrote:

    Sounds like you have put a lot more thought into documenting what each one did to you!

    As for Mirena / endo, a little googling turned this up

    http://www.endometriosis.org/mirena.html

    A quick summary is that its a bit early yet, but studies show it is effective for endo. Lower progestogen means less hormonal side effects.

    Not really - I've just been taking them a long time and noticed changes - then pinned changes to pills after ruling out other causes.

    Hmm...might stick to the pill then - don't want to risk infertility, would do when I'm older. My mum was 24 when she was told to get a move on if she wanted kids then took 2 years of trying to conceive. I'll still be in education at 24 so best to stick with the pill.

    If you've already had all the kids you want then really the pill is only taken to reduce symptoms so it may be worth a try to see if the periods stop on it!

    Adx

    1294931937
    Inara14 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Brigadier
    • Posts: 147
    • Joined: 3 Aug 2009

    BashfulBabe wrote:

    MissTerryCleavage wrote:

    By the way, those 2 spells of pain, the clamping and the inserting are very brief...

    Exactly, I got the measuring and insertion done in one sitting, and I think it was only about five minutes all in. I lucked out with the after-cramps, but even worst I've heard is that it's like a period, so that's not too terrifying.

    And yeah, taking a mild painkiller beforehand and making sure you relax as much as it's possible to while feeling someone tickle you from the inside does make it a lot easier.

    Thats made me feel a lot better about it now - thankyou. Im going to go make a doctors appointment later to talk about it.

    Post a reply to this thread

    Please sign in to post messages to the forum.