£1.29 Next Day delivery! Hurry ends in ...
  1. IUD? Yay or Nay.

smirnoff09 [sign in to see picture]

I have the Mirena coil and it works well for me...having 2 kids and working full time I would never remember to take the pill any more .

Another option may be the patch...change it once a week with less side effects for most people than the pill

shellyboo [sign in to see picture]

I'm *dying* to get the Mirena fitted, but it's SO expensive here. Like you Audrina, my doctor isn't happy putting me on anything hormonal anymore -- I've tried several types of contraception, Depo Provera, Nuva Ring etc, but they all gave me migraines. Depo Provera even caused/exacerbated my depression! I couldn't *believe* the difference when I came off it.

I'd love to be able to take the regualr pill or even Implanon, but they're such high dose hormones they're not worth the risk for me. Hoping to get the Mirena fitted soon as it's very very low dose and at this stage, it's about my only option. They're phasing out the copper coil here in Ireland, and it's very tough to get a doctor who'll even agree to fit one on a woman who's had no kids.

I

[suspended user]

suspended user

shellyboo wrote:

I'm *dying* to get the Mirena fitted, but it's SO expensive here. Like you Audrina, my doctor isn't happy putting me on anything hormonal anymore -- I've tried several types of contraception, Depo Provera, Nuva Ring etc, but they all gave me migraines. Depo Provera even caused/exacerbated my depression! I couldn't *believe* the difference when I came off it.

I'd love to be able to take the regualr pill or even Implanon, but they're such high dose hormones they're not worth the risk for me. Hoping to get the Mirena fitted soon as it's very very low dose and at this stage, it's about my only option. They're phasing out the copper coil here in Ireland, and it's very tough to get a doctor who'll even agree to fit one on a woman who's had no kids.

I

can't you flit over the border to get one shelly?

WandA [sign in to see picture]

shellyboo wrote:

I've had a little search online for the price, out or curiosity mainly, I've just read 355 of your funny money here:

http://www.womenshealthclinic.ie/mirena-coil-fitting.html

Not too bad for a long term method, although I'd baulk at that but then I'm over the sea!

Rowan [sign in to see picture]

Ugh. I was on microgynan30 recently, the OH wouldn't let me take it after 4 weeks, I bled constantly, if fairly lightly and began getting dizzy, cried at everything and nothing, it was just not worth it. They tried 2 others when I was a teenager (I was losing 3-4weeks out of every 5/6 due to hormonally triggered seizures, it was an attempt to regulate and bring it down to 2.) My Dr pretty much refused to consider implanon but it seems to have the best 'reviews' in general, fewer horror stories *eyerolling*.
    They discourage women that have not given birth from going for the copper coil here but there arre also some that try and pressure you into getting it. The IUS is hormonal but seems to have fewer side effects in general, if this is what you want, it's probably worth paying money for. Also note that they can give you a local anaesthetic for the insertion although I wasn't massively keen on needles in my nether regions! As always, talk to the medical professionals and so on and so forth, take notes with you....

telemachus [sign in to see picture]

shellyboo wrote:

I

Lawd, the contraception/abortion situation in Ireland is quite frankly ridiculous.

telemachus wrote:

Lawd, the contraception/abortion situation in Ireland is quite frankly ridiculous.

I think God has a latex allergy, explains the Catholic touchiness about condoms no?

Despina Rose [sign in to see picture]

I had to get the IUD fitted at my sexual health clinic by a doctor rather than at the doctors. My doctors are complete arrogant and useless tossers.

I hope you can all get them fitted soon if you want them.

Audrina [sign in to see picture]

Pinkilious wrote:

I think everyones different and different things effect people in different ways! I personally would not go for this option as it doesn't sound all that appealing! Have you tried different variations of the pill as i had to try many before i found one that suited me!

I've been on practically all the Pills sadly :( Not allowed the combined ones anymore or mini Pill. The sexual health nurse said no hormones only barrier methods like the copper coil or condoms.

- Aud

Audrina [sign in to see picture]

shellyboo wrote:

I

I was on Microgynon which sent me insane, I was a mess and had terrible moodswings, then I went on Yasmin but was taken off that because of migraines and then the minipills Cerazette and Femulen just had almost non stop periods, it was horrible! :( The OH isn't happy.

Are there any other methods of contraception that don't contain hormones?

Barrier methods include the diaphragm, the cervical cap, the IUD, contraceptive sponges and condoms

shellyboo [sign in to see picture]

lickmadick wrote:

can't you flit over the border to get one shelly?

Sadly not, can't get an appointment in the NHS unless you're an NI resident and have a UK social security number etc. Have to be a UK citizen basically!

WandA wrote:

I've had a little search online for the price, out or curiosity mainly, I've just read 355 of your funny money here:

http://www.womenshealthclinic.ie/mirena-coil-fitting.html

Not too bad for a long term method, although I'd baulk at that but then I'm over the sea!

Yeah, in total with my GP it's 60 for a consultation, 100 for the Mirena, 70 for swabs, and 160 to get it fitted. So... a lot. Over the five years it definitely works out at very good value, but it's 300 quid I don't have to hand at the moment! Me and the boy are talking about saving up to get me fitted though, so perhaps in the future :) Also, given that I'm on social welfare I should be entitled to a medical card (free medical care and prescriptions) so that's something to look into. Though I'm not sure the Mirena would be covered in that.

telemachus wrote:

You can say that again! Don't even get me started on the Morning After Pill!

Jesus! £300! Thankfully its free over here, hope you get one fitted soon.

If you're on social welfare perhaps there is a charity of some kind that offers reduced/subsidised contraception? Just an avenue worth considering?

Rowan [sign in to see picture]

Yeah, in total with my GP it's 60 for a consultation, 100 for the Mirena, 70 for swabs, and 160 to get it fitted. So... a lot. Over the five years it definitely works out at very good value, but it's 300 quid I don't have to hand at the moment! Me and the boy are talking about saving up to get me fitted though, so perhaps in the future :) Also, given that I'm on social welfare I should be entitled to a medical card (free medical care and prescriptions) so that's something to look into. Though I'm not sure the Mirena would be covered in that.

I am so very grateful I live in Scotland! Possibly one of the few good things about the epilepsy is that I get indefinite free prescriptions (on the basis that I am actually endangering own life without the meds) but it covers all of them. I think some of the reluctance to fit the IUD in those that haven't had a child is the pain aspect and the fact that the device goes inside the uterus, thus the cervix can cause discomfort. Personally I wouldn't have it if it was the last option on the planet having watched the complications a couple of friends had with it it apparently has high efficacy though. The clinic nurses were humming and hawing about giving me the IUS/ IUD because of that, the doc was pressuring me to get it. I suspect that age, experience, and personal opinion influences what method they advocate in individual cases.

Inara14 [sign in to see picture]

Well i have to admit, since reading a lot about it this morning, I am rather scared about it. As i said in the other thread, I use the mini pill atm, but its a little haywire with periods everywhere, and really random bleeding (which can be kinda embarassing...) I cant have the combined pill because theres a serious risk of breast cancer in my family, I cant have the implant since itd give me a constant period (i was on cerazette for a few months is how I found that out), I cant have the patch as im allergic to most glues, so for me there are condoms (which i do use) and the coil/injection. I have a severe phobia of needles, so id obviously rather not have the injection - and its also hormonal, so i dont know how id react. so the coil seems to be the only option.

My Doctor has been pushing it at me for a while now, but I am so nervous with some of the things ive heard. From it perferating the womb lining, to coming out, to getting lost inside you....

Ive also heard that if you havent had children it can be excrutiatingly painful, and even the sounding can be nasty...

Think I will probably HAVE to get it done, not out of choice, but out of running out of options! Im just rather nervous! Think Il need someone to hold my hand for it!

sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]

Inara14 wrote:

I cant have the implant since itd give me a constant period (i was on cerazette for a few months is how I found that out),

i know its all about the individuals body but im finding that i have no periods on the implant, whereas on cezarette i had constant bleeding.

good luck with your fitting though! *hugs*

MissTerryCleavage [sign in to see picture]

Inara14 wrote:

My Doctor has been pushing it at me for a while now, but I am so nervous with some of the things ive heard. From it perferating the womb lining, to coming out, to getting lost inside you....

Ive also heard that if you havent had children it can be excrutiatingly painful, and even the sounding can be nasty...

Think I will probably HAVE to get it done, not out of choice, but out of running out of options! Im just rather nervous! Think Il need someone to hold my hand for it!

Hiya,

I have a mirena, haven't had any kids and didn't find it excrutiatingly painful at all, yes it hurts when they clamp your cervix and then when they insert it, and it then feels like bad period pain for the rest of the day, but taking ibuprofen beforehand and then sitting with a hot water bottle worked great for me, by the next day, all pain gone, but I guess everyone is different.

Yes there is a tiny risk of womb perforation, which is why I would ask the GP how many of them they fit, so you can guage experience, if you don't think it's very many, is there a GUM clinic near you where they will most probably do a lot more fittings so the risk would be much less.

To me it's been a godsend, I used to suffer terrible mood swings etc but now nothing, in fact since I had it fitted I don't think I've had one arguement of any significance and yet prior to it being fitted, I'd argue at the drop of a hat, haha! I had a few weeks of random spotting etc when it was first put in, but then it settled down and I no longer have any periods, which I love.

As I said, everyone is different, so it's hard to advise and yes there are horror stories, pretty much everything has a horror story attached to it, most people prefer to post about those than sing something's praises, all I can say is do your research, ask questions and make the most educated choice you can.

MissTerryCleavage [sign in to see picture]

By the way, those 2 spells of pain, the clamping and the inserting are very brief...

BashfulBabe [sign in to see picture]

MissTerryCleavage wrote:

By the way, those 2 spells of pain, the clamping and the inserting are very brief...

Exactly, I got the measuring and insertion done in one sitting, and I think it was only about five minutes all in. I lucked out with the after-cramps, but even worst I've heard is that it's like a period, so that's not too terrifying.

And yeah, taking a mild painkiller beforehand and making sure you relax as much as it's possible to while feeling someone tickle you from the inside does make it a lot easier.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.