• Telling your OH they're getting out of shape?

sweetcherry24 [sign in to see picture]

I hope this doesnt sound rude. but if your not into fitness how can you expect your other half to lose weight. So in away it does sound selfish, You wanting her to lose weight but if your not a leading example. she will find it an insult.

But if your into fitness then easy encourage ment. try telling her its good for her internal fitness. ie keeping her heart healthy, so she doesnt think she needs to lose weight. but needs to keep her heart healthy.

This is the way i always think i never workout to lose weight i do it to keep my heart and my internal organs in good shape. Healthy way of living. Not how you look.

BB75 [sign in to see picture]

sweetcherry24 wrote:

I hope this doesnt sound rude. but if your not into fitness how can you expect your other half to lose weight. So in away it does sound selfish, You wanting her to lose weight but if your not a leading example. she will find it an insult.

But if your into fitness then easy encourage ment. try telling her its good for her internal fitness. ie keeping her heart healthy, so she doesnt think she needs to lose weight. but needs to keep her heart healthy.

This is the way i always think i never workout to lose weight i do it to keep my heart and my internal organs in good shape. Healthy way of living. Not how you look.

I take your point there as my oh isn't slim and is developing a little paunch - which I generally remind him of! The main reason I wanted to lose weight was for physical appearance although I know how much better it is for me to be lighter. At present climbing a couple of sets of stairs at work is a strain. I don't like exercise as such but am renewing what was an addiction to pilates. Walking with my oh is really nice or a bike ride so maybe as a couple they can find a way into a healthier lifestyle.

However, appearance as part of attraction is important and part of the overall package. I'm sure you'll admit Sweetcherry that how your body looks is important to you too?! Bx

Wizzie86 [sign in to see picture]

I definitely think that it is important for you to do it together even though you will have different aims. Meal planning is important. Joining the gym together is good but why not try salsa dance classes or even pole dancing - they can be really good fun and I prefer the environment to the gym. I love Wii fit - easy to fit into any routine. The wii dance games are also supposed to be pretty good for a cv work out - but only if you have a wii x

Starlight* [sign in to see picture]

Eeeek, touchy subject here! I think, like a lot of the others have mentioned, that your girlfriend will know that she has put on weight- she doesn't want or need somebody she loves/trusts highlighting something which could be quite upsetting to her.

A lot of the suggestions from the other guys are brilliant! Try couple exercising, such as being gym buddies, going swimming together, or taking bike rides. That way, you look like you are wanting to spend time with your partner, whilst getting exercise too! The Wii fit is also a fantastic suggestion- anything which is fun and exercise would be a more subtle way of introducing exercise.

Also- perhaps it would be a good start if you introduced new foods into your house. For example, you could do the shopping, and buy healthier foods, or cook a healthy meal 4 times a week? Every little helps as they say...

But, what I wouldn't do is go in there, all guns blazing, and tell your girlfriend that she's put weight on. As I already said, she probably knows that, and raising the issue will only make her more upset and more sensitive to the subject. If you can do it subtly, then that, in my opinion, is the way forward!

Good luck xx

smirnoff09 [sign in to see picture]

My Oh bless him had the same issue and tbh I knew I needed to do something he was great and was honest about his concerns for my weight..He was not rude or blunt but totally honest though tactful

He actually bought me a wii fit which i am really grateful for as I have lost 8lbs in 3 weeks...

We use the wii fit and have a laugh and giggle while I tackle the lbs and generally feel so much fitter.

smirnoff09 [sign in to see picture]

oh it has given me the perfect excuse to drag him to bed for an early night to lol

bumble [sign in to see picture]

smirnoff09 wrote:

My Oh bless him had the same issue and tbh I knew I needed to do something he was great and was honest about his concerns for my weight..He was not rude or blunt but totally honest though tactful

He actually bought me a wii fit which i am really grateful for as I have lost 8lbs in 3 weeks...

We use the wii fit and have a laugh and giggle while I tackle the lbs and generally feel so much fitter.

I have the same dilema with my OH at the mo. I haven't said anything yet as i don't want to upset him, but over the last couple of years he has put on quite a bit of weight, he now weighs double what i weigh.

Several members of his family have suffered heart-attacks and i'm terrified of it happening to him too.

I don't know how to broach the subject, tact and diplomacy really aren't my strong suit!

The wii fit as a great idea, so i might get one for us to use together for christmas.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.