• Wait! We think you’re in the US - Lovehoney.com is a better site for you.
    Shop there and get 10% off!
    United States Flag
    Go to Lovehoney.com
  1. Are the OA members a fair representation of the UK public?

toycar69 [sign in to see picture]

Normally I'd suggest that a "random" group of people on a web forum would statistically a reasonable albeit small representation of the population they are from. With Lovehoney being a UK site, in this case that would mean the UK population.

In our case though, as this is a sex forum, its fair to suggest that all the members either have a high / healthy sex drive, or are here seeking help for sexual issues.

What I'm trying to put into writing, is that as a group, we aren't sexually "average" and so many of our collective opinions may be skewed.

For example, I spotted earlier that in the "newbies initiation" thread, over the past few pages, most ladies are shaved, a couple are trimmed, and nearly all of them swallow. I then consider my wife who is not a member.
    Now, she has a lower sex drive, doesn't shave or trim and won't suck let alone swallow. She doesn't fit the OA profile at all, but in the wide world, is her position the majority and ours the minority? I find myself wondering if she is close minded and stubborn, or am I a sex freak?

If you consider that we may well be a "sexually free minority" I find it interesting to read the comments we make in here when discussing what our (non-member) OH's reactions are to sexual situations. We read that someones OH won't reciprocate oral favours, or get scared when we've bought a sex toy. I'm just wondering if their reaction is the norm, and if ours is unusual?

OK, I realise that I've rambled on for quite a while here, so I'll stop now. I don't want anyone to take anything I've written here as insulting, or antagonistic, this is just me blurting out a load of rubbish I've found in my head over the last few weeks. Call it therapy or something.

WandA [sign in to see picture]

Certainly not representative.

Most are fairly liberal minded folk, it's why I like it so much!

Ilovemyman [sign in to see picture]

I'm not sure, i am just glad we are who we are!

sexy little minx [sign in to see picture]

Ilovemyman wrote:

I'm not sure, i am just glad we are who we are!

I second that! x

Our awesomeness quotation is also on average 3.56x better than the average Joe in the street.

Firewolf [sign in to see picture]

Er, since some people here are also not from the UK! :P

But, if you mean that we represent the general public.. I don't think so. Think we are a group that is far from the public to be honest, since we like to discuss sex, sex toys, and so forth, and most of us like to shop for such things as well.

Fr33b1rd [sign in to see picture]

WandA wrote:

Our awesomeness quotation is also on average 3.56x better than the average Joe in the street.

With a whole chunk of that coming from yourself mister

Firewolf wrote:

Er, since some people here are also not from the UK! :P

Well we do have some people not from the UK in the UK.

We even have people from NL like the mighty Dirk Kuyt!

Tigerlilies [sign in to see picture]

It's all about preferences. You can meet high sex drive women who don't shave and low sex drive women who love to swallow. It's a big varied rainbow out there.

I can't speak for everyone but most women I know are very liberated. Some choose not to do certain things and others choose to do them but they're all independent, strong minded, sexual people. As long as you're the one making your decisions and no one's getting hurt: it's good.

But then I have cooler friends than most people.

Kinks, vanilla, straight, gay, queer, trans, there are a lot of communities out there.

The media on the other hand is vastly out of step with the real world.

Doug [sign in to see picture]

By definition a group of people who have chosen to be part of any group cannot be an accurate representation of the general public. The reason being that they have activly picked a group which they see as in line with them. Any accurate representation must be random.

(Science geek)

Ok, my apologies for saying UK and not the world in general! There I was thinking that I'd said it the right way so as not to upset any Welsh, Irish or Scots on the board .

Don't get me wrong, I love this place and the advice and ideas on here. I'm probably just feeling a bit jaded at the moment. It's great to see how many people here are having excited and fullfilling sex lives, but I can't help but feel jealous sometimes. Maybe I can find a forum where everyone on it is getting less than me? That may put things in perspective! lol

Anyway, its good to see that people are taking the subject the way its was intended. Its just intended to point out that the OA are probably the enlightened few with regards to sex. We just need to spread the word to the rest of the population.

Doug wrote:

By definition a group of people who have chosen to be part of any group cannot be an accurate representation of the general public. The reason being that they have activly picked a group which they see as in line with them. Any accurate representation must be random.

(Science geek)

I think thats exactly my point, as the members of the OA have chosen themselves for this specific subject. If I were to ask opinions on say fishing then it may be a fairer view, or maybe asking about sex on a computer or football forum.

Ilovemyman [sign in to see picture]

WandA wrote:

I love that, it reminds me of the number crunch guy from the Leroy Jenkins halo style clips on you tube, Can you cive me a quick number crunch, yes we have a 66.6 % chance of suvival

If you're unhappy toycar perhaps it's worth trawling through a few threads and looking for ideas to spice things up. Don't ever 'settle' for a relationship, live and enjoy it.

toycar69 wrote:

Doug wrote:

(Science geek)

I think thats exactly my point, as the members of the OA have chosen themselves for this specific subject. If I were to ask opinions on say fishing then it may be a fairer view, or maybe asking about sex on a computer or football forum.

well from previous threads i know that there are some things which LH members have drsticaly different views on, and there were a few heated debates, i think over polotics, which were "intresting"

2Wicked [sign in to see picture]

toycar69 wrote:

Ok, my apologies for saying UK and not the world in general! There I was thinking that I'd said it the right way so as not to upset any Welsh, Irish or Scots on the board .

Don't get me wrong, I love this place and the advice and ideas on here. I'm probably just feeling a bit jaded at the moment. It's great to see how many people here are having excited and fullfilling sex lives, but I can't help but feel jealous sometimes. Maybe I can find a forum where everyone on it is getting less than me? That may put things in perspective! lol

Anyway, its good to see that people are taking the subject the way its was intended. Its just intended to point out that the OA are probably the enlightened few with regards to sex. We just need to spread the word to the rest of the population.

Fulfilling sex life? Sure, but me & my OH struggled a lot to achieve it and still do at times. I have health issues that vary from annoying to painful at times & penetrative sex is not an easy thing for me, but at least we both try to improve things and have fun together. That is what makes our sex life great eventually.

toycar69 wrote:

dw, not all of us are getting some,

Malteser81 [sign in to see picture]

Hi toycar, the OA are a mixed group of people..... some have a very varied sex life whilst others dont. Not everyone does the "newbies initiation test" as its not compulsory. Even ive noticed recently that the forums have changed a bit, there does seem to be alot of new people with very varied high sex drives but on a whole there are just as many members that come for advice on how to spice up sex and talk about problems they have emptionally as well as physically.

Thin One [sign in to see picture]

Doug wrote:

toycar69 wrote:

dw, not all of us are getting some,

Isn't that true... Although I can't magine any of my single male friends own fake vaginas, prostate massagers and other pleasurable devices.... I just like basking in the perverted glory of this site without fear of ridicule or judgement.

WandA wrote:

If you're unhappy toycar perhaps it's worth trawling through a few threads and looking for ideas to spice things up. Don't ever 'settle' for a relationship, live and enjoy it.

Don't worry WandA, thats exactly what I'm doing. It just takes a while when the frequency is down low.

Thanks for the others pointing out that I'm not alone too .

Thread closed

This thread is closed, so no new messages can be posted.