• One for the girls (pill question)

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

missorgasm wrote:

i have spoken to my doc on so many occasions (every 3-6months for the past 6 years) about this problem, have requested to see another couple of doctors who were equally unhelpful, one even had the cheek to askme if i wasmaking it up for attention lol. have come off the pill before to conceive my son and had none of these issues whilst off the pill, which is why im so sure thats whats causing it, also have problems with non latex condoms they "irritate" toput it very nicely lol while i would love to come off it and have another baby OH is not ready yet. i dont understand y i cant have some sort of test to check my hormone levals then surely that could help find something that will suit me,but everythings black and white to me as like u im no medical expert :/ bit ofa pain in the bum really but bk to the docs on monday as this pills makingme illagain o the joy :)

I'm not sure what the process is but I'm pretty sure there is a body you can make complaints to (outside of your practise) and ask advice....I'll have a look at the weekend and get back to you. Your Doctors are wrong to treat you as they are doing so you need to be insistent but I'm sure there's a certain way of going about it so you get heard....I'll pop back once I've remembered what it is exactly!

Definately keep on at the doctors in the meantime though.

Have you tried taking someone with you who can speak up for you?

Ax

masterandslave [sign in to see picture]

i put on quite a bit of weight when I came off my pill; femodine, has anyone had this happen?

x

missorgasm [sign in to see picture]

aw cheers honey :) iv tried so much iv just kinda lost heart and now im just putting up with it,might take my OH as obv he has to put up with all my complaints aswell,love his heart, just he works 7days and 3nights a week so he may have trouble being able to get time of just for that...o well. have had femodime before the one im on now, really didnt get on with it, but i cant say iv had any weight issues with any of my pills xx

BumLovingCriminal [sign in to see picture]

I have issues with all forms of contraception!

I started on Mycrogynon at 16 for about a year. I had no real side effects apart from a little weight gain. When Mr BLC and I split up for a year, I went onto Cerazette as that's all the college nurse was allowed to prescribe. Then I tried the Depo injections, which gave me a constant bleed for three months. No good!

Then I got the Implanon implant, which was awesome at first. A little weight gain (but mostly my boobies, hurrah!) and a light bleed every other months, reducing to every 3 months, then stopped altogether.

After 2 years on the implant, my weight shot up (I went from a size 8 to a size 16!) and I got the most awful hormonal spots (huge, red, painful, throbbing lumps which never came to a head and lasted a fortnight, then peeled and went dry as they healed. I am still left with scars!)

So I went to the nurse and told her quite plainly to "please get this devil stick out my arm". I went to the doctors and asked to back on Mycrogynon. "Not with your family history of blood clots, you should never have been perscribed that!" she said, and perscribed me Cerazette.

My periods didn't return, and the spots, although lessened, still plagued me. I considered the coil but the non-hormonal one would make my already-excruciating cramps worse, and the Mirena one has the same hormonal set-up as the implant, Depo and Cerazette.

I gave up, and just used condoms. My periods and PMS went back to being horrendous, and I hate condoms anyway. My skin cleared up a treat, and I started (slowly) to lose some of the weight I had gained.

I'm off to Florida in June, and getting the morning-after pill isn't easy over there, so last week I went back on Cerazette, the only pill I am apparently allowed to take.

Hello, spots. It's been a while...

The only good thing is that no contraception affects my obscenely high libido! Yay!

BumLovingCriminal wrote:

I have issues with all forms of contraception!

I started on Mycrogynon at 16 for about a year. I had no real side effects apart from a little weight gain. When Mr BLC and I split up for a year, I went onto Cerazette as that's all the college nurse was allowed to prescribe. Then I tried the Depo injections, which gave me a constant bleed for three months. No good!

Then I got the Implanon implant, which was awesome at first. A little weight gain (but mostly my boobies, hurrah!) and a light bleed every other months, reducing to every 3 months, then stopped altogether.

After 2 years on the implant, my weight shot up (I went from a size 8 to a size 16!) and I got the most awful hormonal spots (huge, red, painful, throbbing lumps which never came to a head and lasted a fortnight, then peeled and went dry as they healed. I am still left with scars!)

So I went to the nurse and told her quite plainly to "please get this devil stick out my arm". I went to the doctors and asked to back on Mycrogynon. "Not with your family history of blood clots, you should never have been perscribed that!" she said, and perscribed me Cerazette.

My periods didn't return, and the spots, although lessened, still plagued me. I considered the coil but the non-hormonal one would make my already-excruciating cramps worse, and the Mirena one has the same hormonal set-up as the implant, Depo and Cerazette.

I gave up, and just used condoms. My periods and PMS went back to being horrendous, and I hate condoms anyway. My skin cleared up a treat, and I started (slowly) to lose some of the weight I had gained.

I'm off to Florida in June, and getting the morning-after pill isn't easy over there, so last week I went back on Cerazette, the only pill I am apparently allowed to take.

Hello, spots. It's been a while...

The only good thing is that no contraception affects my obscenely high libido! Yay!

its just a nightmare isnt it! my dr is saying the no hormone coil is the only thing he can see working but like you said, worsens the cramps and i just cant cope with it. am takin this last pack of pills then coming off it, cant deal with it any more, the constant bleeding the hissy fits the spots the anemia ARRRRGH!!! hello withdrawal method haha

BumLovingCriminal [sign in to see picture]

its just a nightmare isnt it! my dr is saying the no hormone coil is the only thing he can see working but like you said, worsens the cramps and i just cant cope with it. am takin this last pack of pills then coming off it, cant deal with it any more, the constant bleeding the hissy fits the spots the anemia ARRRRGH!!! hello withdrawal method haha

Amen, sister! I wish my cycle was 100% predictable (like it was before I started screwing up my body with artificial hormones, grrr!) so that I could just use the Rhythm method or something! I think the no-hormone coil is my last option too. No sooner had I typed my post last night than two MAHOOSIVE hormonal spots appeared. I look like the sodding Elephant Man, my face just has these bloody growths on it!

I may just have to get the coil and put up with the pain. My pain lasts 10 days, but my spots last 2-3 weeks. It might have to be a "lesser of two evils" situation.

You might feel a lot better coming off the pill. I did, although my PMS did get worse (not really moody, but craved chocolate a lot, felt bloated and the sorest boobs you can imagine!). My skin was almost perfect and it felt so nice not to have all these artficial hormones pumping round my body!

As soon as my feet touch English soil again after my holiday, I am coming off it. Unless I cave, and go get the coil fitted next month! let me know how you get on if you stop taking them, sweetie! x

CurlyCoupleWife [sign in to see picture]

Just to stick my oar in:

I started on pills etc because of extremely painful periods (fainting level pain - couldn't drive for 3 days a month). Docs kindly told me at the age of 18 that it'd probably be easier once I had kids - was single at the time!

Loved Microgynon but it gave me migranes. Cerazette made me bleed every day for 9 months (i gave it a fair run!). They gave me something called mefanamic acid (sp?) but that did absolutely nothing.

Had a run with nothing (condoms as contraception) then decided enough was enough - I don't want to be in pain 1/4 of my life.

Bit the bullet & had mirena coil fitted. Best thing I've ever done - I have a little twinge of back ache about 3 times a year that is followed by a bit of spotting - It's changed my life.

I laughed out loud the other day when I read IUS's are supposed to kill your libido - Hubby would get no sleep if I had mine taken out then

BumLovingCriminal wrote:

Amen, sister! I wish my cycle was 100% predictable (like it was before I started screwing up my body with artificial hormones, grrr!) so that I could just use the Rhythm method or something! I think the no-hormone coil is my last option too. No sooner had I typed my post last night than two MAHOOSIVE hormonal spots appeared. I look like the sodding Elephant Man, my face just has these bloody growths on it!

I may just have to get the coil and put up with the pain. My pain lasts 10 days, but my spots last 2-3 weeks. It might have to be a "lesser of two evils" situation.

You might feel a lot better coming off the pill. I did, although my PMS did get worse (not really moody, but craved chocolate a lot, felt bloated and the sorest boobs you can imagine!). My skin was almost perfect and it felt so nice not to have all these artficial hormones pumping round my body!

As soon as my feet touch English soil again after my holiday, I am coming off it. Unless I cave, and go get the coil fitted next month! let me know how you get on if you stop taking them, sweetie! x

well after talking to OH last night we have decided im not even going to take the last packet i have left. the most bloody annoying thing is i know its the pill because iv come off before and i was fine, then i went back on it when my son was 6months old! iv gunna ask to be refurred to a gynie im so sick of my doctor just shoving new pills at me and bloody contracteption leaflets i may force the ba***rd pills down his neck next time, i think unless some one has actually had this problem they have no idea how it can take over your life and your the 1st iv spoken to who seems to have exactly the same probs as me. i wont even consider the copper coil, we want another baby next year any way so it seems a bit much for the sake of a few months and as iv said before, i can barely cope with the cramps any way, i certainly dont want them any worse!!!! o gosh im off to ring the doc, AGAIN. then i may ring tampax and ask if i can buy shares??!?!?! xxx

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

Ahhh the trials and tribulations of womanhood! Such a shame when bodies behave unpredictably (or predictably but in a bad way!)

I'm still trying to figure out what that body is you can complain too - I know I've read it somewhere but I can't figure out where!

Good that you are getting a referral to a gynae though! Make sure you write down every thing you want to say so you don't forget, and take someone with you in case they refuse to listen properly (I've always had good gynaes but some are a bit dismissive so I've heard so best to be prepared for this!).

You say you can barely cope with the cramps - I'm assuming you have tried already, and they mightn't work so well but I find ibuprofen can take the edge of cramps (I get so bad with cramps sometimes I can't walk), doesn't make them better but can occasionally make them bareable. Though you do have to take them before the cramps get too bad for them to work effectively - keeping ibuprofen constantly in your system (take every 4 hours apart from overnight) for the duration of your period could be an idea to try whilst you're waiting on your appointment. Sorry if you've tried this already - I just want to help in anyway I can.

Definitely sounds best to come off the pill for yourself but I wouldn't advise you do it without medical supervision (of course you should do what you choose - just a disclaimer!)

Ax

sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]

you can also get some heat patches that you can put on your pants (or inside of your t shirt) that give gentle heat too. i remember buying some at superdrug, but it was a while ago. Cura - heat do some back ones that go in a similar place. i found them useful before i went on my pill.

MzBee [sign in to see picture]

THis might seem like a really dumb question... and it's not a medical one as such just a I'm sure I should know the answer to it.

If a person isn't on the pill and starts taking it midway in her cycle, will that person start to bleed. Just a little discussion a few girls and I were having and it's not something I've done so dont' know what's right?

mzbee- sorry i really dont know, i think it depends on the pill, some iv taken the 1st and been protected and come on at the end of the pack other you have to take 1st day of ur period other u start takin straight after the previous pill you were on, think it depends.

unfortunatly my body is a sensitive soul and i cant really take any thing other than ur bog standard paracetamol, they all send me loopy! also i feel i should be able to be sorted as easy as most other people seem to be im feeling a bit down in the dumps about it atm if im honest its doing my swede in lol. poor me :( lol

since my last post (this moring i do believe) iv rang the docs again and requestd another app with a female doc i saw about something not too long ago, she was lovely, if she cant give me any medical advice im hoping she will be honest enough to give me some sort of advise on what i could do, ie- your woman rite???? what would you do???? lol

thanks every one for there help this is getting down so much atm, and i no it proberly sounds stupid and a rather 'meh' problem but its been ruling my life for the past 6years now, i dnt wanna be like this till its time for 'the change' im only 21 and considering a hysterectermy!!!! xxx

Lucyfer [sign in to see picture]

As most have already said, any pill can react differently with different people. My personal experience is that I was on Microgynon (and thoroughly happy with it) from 16 to 37. I only came off it when I had to due to age etc.

Since then I have had no end of problems trying to find something that works for me. Can't have the IUD, tried the implant which made me bleed constantly for 9 months; then tried Cerezette to stop the bleeding but it didn't.

Now I'm not taking anything for 2 months while I have a US scan to make sure there is nothing sinister going on, then we start another round of trial and error with the mini pills.

One thing I have been told is that no method is guaranteed to stop your periods completely, every person's reaction is different. For example. with the implant a third have no periods, a 3rd very light or normal, and a 3rd have a problem. I was just unlucky it didn't suit me. I asked will any pill be guaranteed to stop it and told no, it's a case of finding the one that suits you. Sadly I can't have the one that suits me so Plan B is in effect.

Good luck to the OP (I'm sure you've tried something by now) but the answer is if one doesn't suit you, go back to your GP

L

Charly [sign in to see picture]

I am allergic to female hormones so I have tried many different pills until I found one that doesn't make me violently ill.

I like you Crayola had a heavy and painful period but now I take Mercilon and I can honestly say that my periods have reduced to a break through type bleed which is just slight stainage on lasts for about a day.

Everyone is different, if your not happy with what your on talk to your GP and find out whats best for you...i've been through about 20 before I reached Mercilon so don't be afraid to ask.

SweetSubmission [sign in to see picture]

I've always been happy with microgynon/ovranette (they're medically identical, just a different brand).

SS xx

BashfulBabe [sign in to see picture]

Trial and error, they all react differently. My doctor had advised that I try the injection, and it went mental, they had to give me other drugs to stop the bleeding it set off (13 week long period, will not be trying that again!). So something that works fine for almost everyone else for no apparent reason just did not fit with me.

I tried loads of different pills, and while they helped with the irregularity, they never lightened the flow. That's why the GP had thought I might be better off with something like the jab, but that obviously wasn't so great. :)

Granted, I'm a wacky case, since I was young mine were abnormally heavy, and refused to make anything remotely similar to a pattern. Spent so much time in the hospital with them scanning and testing, nothing ever came up, just one of those things.

Once I'd recovered from the injection incident, we talked about implants, and I got the coil. Have only had it a month, so things are still settling, but I've had a lighter period on time, and it appears to be thinking of ending inside of a week. Still holding out hope I'll be one fo those for whom it stops completely, but given my history I'm guessing not: but a manageable regular period, I could live with that.

Kinda sucky there's no standard for what'll work or not, it's all trial and error. But at least here there's folk willing to work with you to help; in Ireland, the doctor actually told me that the pill she'd put me on works, so if I was still having problems I was obviously taking it wrong and should be more careful (I have some awesome horror stories of the Irish healthcare system, the NHS isn't perfect, but it could be oh so much worse!).

occhiverdi [sign in to see picture]

Thought I'd bump this post so all the pill chat is together!

Anyway I'm on Yasmin and have taken the pill for 2 months in a row, I'm now on pack 3 and my doc told me that this is ok to do. .... has anyone had bleeding start before they finish their pill pack?

I've had breakthrough bleeding, I bled hardly anything on Friday, stopped Saturday and its started up again and I'm not sure whether to carry on with the 2 weeks left or just stop and let my period start.... not too impressed to be honest!

gymnast_kerry [sign in to see picture]

im on brevinor and it has reduced the flow as i used to be like you and very heavy so i thought it was all myth but it has worked it has also reduced pain as well which is fab!

WakkaWakka [sign in to see picture]

I've just come off Cerazette (well, 3 weeks ago anyway).

Not a fan of having cramps with nothing else happening along with them *clutches hot water bottle*

SnL [sign in to see picture]

I'm on Cerazette... I thought you're suppose to take it everyday around the same time. Picked up my batch of Cerazette yesterday. It says on the sticker, take daily for 3 weeks, miss 1 week and repeat cycle. I thought you're suppose to take it everyday with no break?

I read the leaflet inside and it doesn't mention anything about breaks. Ahhh now I'm upset and confused about it. Please may someone help?

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.