• Women's Magazines, the Media and General Pressures on Men and Women!

Tigerlilies [sign in to see picture]

There's also a great comment on the scarf tip that struck a chord with me and I hope many of the OA

On using restraints instead of scarves:

That makes them edgier. Actually planning for sex makes you a dirty whore, ask any particularly sheltered, guilty teenager. By similar reasoning, actually planning bondage makes you a perverted freak. It has to be spontaneous and novel to be acceptable.

KittyPurry [sign in to see picture]

Tigerlilies wrote:

There's also a great comment on the scarf tip that struck a chord with me and I hope many of the OA

That makes them edgier. Actually planning for sex makes you a dirty whore, ask any particularly sheltered, guilty teenager. By similar reasoning, actually planning bondage makes you a perverted freak. It has to be spontaneous and novel to be acceptable.

But I like being a dirty whore

xxKPxx

Oh I have to post this too and then I'l stop

Cosmo: There's breaking news in "guy world": many committed guys are treating themselves to a little too much one-handed fun, and it could leave both of you feeling less than satisfied in bed. [...] Once you've gotten it out in the open, the best course of action is for him to simply stop cold turkey. [...] If he is resistant, you may need to seek out the help of a therapist.

Pervocracy: Oh what the fuck Cosmo. What the fuck. No, Cosmo. NO.

KittyPurry wrote:

Tigerlilies wrote:

xxKPxx

Me tooo! Can we make badges? xxx

YES!!! Badges and these T-shirts: http://www.ownagecounty.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=15

xxKPxx

KittyPurry wrote:

YES!!! Badges and these T-shirts: http://www.ownagecounty.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=15

xxKPxx

I totally want this.

American Cosmo have great relationship advice too.

Cosmo: When you introduce him to friends or coworkers, highlight any recent impressive accomplishments of his. For example, "This is Steve. He just finished his PhD dissertation in microbiology" or "Tom ran the Ironman marathon last week!"
    Pervocracy: "This is Rob. He goes potty all by himself!"

Ecksvie [sign in to see picture]

I bought my boyfriend a Tenga Flip Hole for Valentine's Day. Where does this leave me?

Hella Rouge (LH) wrote:

THIS.IS.AMAZING!

Oh Cosmo, where are you getting your intell?

Tigerlilies wrote:

Cosmo: There's breaking news in "guy world": many committed guys are treating themselves to a little too much one-handed fun, and it could leave both of you feeling less than satisfied in bed. [...] Once you've gotten it out in the open, the best course of action is for him to simply stop cold turkey. [...] If he is resistant, you may need to seek out the help of a therapist.

Pervocracy: Oh what the fuck Cosmo. What the fuck. No, Cosmo. NO.

Ecksvie wrote:

I bought my boyfriend a Tenga Flip Hole for Valentine's Day. Where does this leave me?

You damn enabler, you.

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

Hella Rouge (LH) wrote:

I wish I had something to contribute that's annoying me today, but I don't think I have anything of substance at this very second. Just finished writing a blog about Kegel exercises (NOT one for you AdnaW by the sounds of things :s Epic bad timing) that will go up apres my lunch (cigarette and a cup of tea).

I don't have a problem with better sex tips (and I'm all for kegels - do them daily, when I remember!) it's just the views these magazines portray that bug me! Like sex is some taboo that we certainly shouldn't be enjoying!

Ecksvie wrote:

I know Ad has read the blog post I wrote yesterday on the subject which may or may not be what brought this thread on, but I've already had my long rant at Cosmo lol! It was seriously hard to stop, I could have gone on forever about how much I hate Cosmopolitan.

Definitely helped haha! I've been meaning to start a thread on "pressures" for ages - it winds me up that I feel like a freak for not enjoying coming all that much! But your post reminded me, and I thought a "rant thread" might be perfect :P I know so many people who "rant" when it comes to magazines (especially Cosmo - it is just the epitomy of bad isn't it!) so I figured lets pool our "rants" together :P

KittyPurry wrote:

We're all people for goodness sake! I'm in favour of EQUALITY...not man-bashing! For years women were repressed and denied basic rights like equal pay and being used by men for sex etc. now this has for the most part been sorted out there seems to a be a weird trend of female retribution. I hate the school of thought that says because women were used and abused by men in the past, it's somehow ok to reciproate that behaviour now! As far as I'm concerned there's no justification for sexism of any kind.

Much agreed - I'm sick of the way feminism has turned to "man bashing" in terms of these magazines! But it's ok, they're boys, they can handle it, grr - and if they can't, it's ok because he's obviously not "man" enough for you anyway - double grr!

KittyPurry wrote:

xxKPxx

Dirty whores of the OA unite

Also - anyone think some women's mags should be top shelf along with the male mags?

Ax

Addition to say - everyone read Ecksvie's blog and SL's blog who have both written great mag truths posts!

Axx

I've totally shot myself in the foot here, haven't I?

Oh well. According to Cosmo, there's an 80% chance we're gonna break up eventually anyway. Mixed orientations and all that.

Bloody hell, can't they see the difference between bisexual and lesbian?

Ecksvie wrote:

Oh well. According to Cosmo, there's an 80% chance we're gonna break up eventually anyway. Mixed orientations and all that.

Nahh - bisexuals are a myth, you're either one or t'other according to Cosmo :P

Ax

WandA [sign in to see picture]

Good points KP. It doesn't really work try to rectify past injustice with current injustice does it?

lovin' the whore love in. Whore for President!

Tigerlilies wrote:

I think this does sum up the balls in rags like these. Its not like Cosmo would ever tell people its important to know your body is it? Funny how so many Cosmo tips inevitability end in hate and resentment. Seriously though, does anyone know anyone who read them?

Ecksvie wrote:

What's a lesbian? In magazines there are no lesbians or bisexuals...you must be confused somehow... surely you want what every woman wants a rich footballer to buy you diamond earlobe curlers and a gold-plated lap-dog?

xxKPxx

Is it sexist if I quite like all these sexyOA ladies refering to themselves as whores...

Damn my sexist penis!

AdnaW wrote:

Also - anyone think some women's mags should be top shelf along with the male mags?

Ax

Although I can think of many places I would like to put Cosmo, I don't think top shelf is the answer. It gives it a pride of place. What I would like to see is more discussion in the mainstream media about how to think critically about the bullshit coming out of 99% of this kind of journalism (for men and women) and why it's dum.

My big issue with all of Cosmo's advice is that it has some kind of aversion to communication in relationships. Women are told to be vague or shut-the-f*ck-up because they might hurt a man's feelings and therefore his penis will wither and die. Ironic that their 'pro men' stance is to turn them into shrinking violets.

Oh, one last Cosmocking from Pervocracy

Cosmo "I dated a guy who would rub my clitoris like he was scouring the bathroom sink. Rather than tell him that he was being way too rough, I told him that it would really turn me on if he watched me masturbate. He loved it, but more important, he was able to see what kind of touch got me off."

Pervocracy: So he was hurting you, and your response to being hurt was to put on a sexy little show for him. I know, totally Humorless way to put it, I'm sure he was great in other ways, but damn. Men don't need to have everything wrapped in titties and niceness to understand it, and "you're hurting my genitals" is one of those messages that women shouldn't be obligated to deliver by Bikinigram.

Tigerlilies wrote:

AdnaW wrote:

Ax

Although I can think of many places I would like to put Cosmo, I don't think top shelf is the answer. It gives it a pride of place. What I would like to see is more discussion in the mainstream media about how to think critically about the bullshit coming out of 99% of this kind of journalism (for men and women) and why it's dum.

Actually you're right - I just hate the thought of young teenagers reading it, right when they are getting into their first relationships - I dread to think just how many relationships Cosmo has broken (and that's not just teenagers - it scares me how many women with "experience" swear by it because they were brought up on it and it's been made to be seen as acceptable!).

Ax

Yeah, totally agree with you. I got June's issue because Mistress Cara was in it, but I was appalled at some of the stories in there. One story told of a guy who had an 'unusual' method of caressing a woman's breasts. When she eventually got up the courage to ask him, he said he was a medical student and this was how he had been shown to examine breasts. She dumped him. It would be completely unheard of for her to turn around and say, 'I like my breasts caressed like this'. If nothing else, it would make sure he didn't make the same mistake with his next girlfriend.

I get really angry when I read stories like this, and sadly this was just one of many. It's probably for the best though, we don't want women like this entering the gene pool. :P

Ecksvie wrote:

I get really angry when I read stories like this, and sadly this was just one of many. It's probably for the best though, we don't want women like this entering the gene pool. :P

Alas, the laws of nature mean the people who you want out the gene pool are those least likely to use contraception or partake in any form of family planning.

Why are the only "acceptable" sex toys ones that are either designed by Tracey Cox (for some reason she has been declared the acceptable face of sex toys by magazines etc.) or ones that have been looked at by Alan Titchmarsh?

Ax

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.