£1.79 Next Day delivery! Hurry ends in ...
  1. Jeremy Vibe's Big Swinging O-meter

SweetSubmission [sign in to see picture]

We're not going to get reform now I'm afraid. The Tories will give us the referendum, but they'll campaign tooth and nail against meaningful reform - it's not in their interests at all - and try to spin issues like reducing the size of the commons and constituency boundary changes as being hugely progressive. We won't get anywhere near STV.

I do wonder what might have happened if the other 35% of the electorate had bothered to put in an appearance.

SS xx

BashfulBabe [sign in to see picture]

And how much of that 35% were folk who turned up, queued for two hours, and were then refused the right to vote because their local council failed at maths? I'd not give up hope yet: enough people are annoyed at not being let into their polling station, or at the LibDems getting as much power as they have, or at Labour missing out, or just at their voice not counting becuase they're in the "wrong" constituency, that there could be firm support for an alternative system.

I don't see anyone buying boundary changes as "progressive" if they've half a brain, they've been saying they've been working on that to keep it balanced for years, so suddenly flip-flopping must set off alarm bells in any right-thinking person's head, surely?

BashfulBabe wrote:

And how much of that 35% were folk who turned up, queued for two hours, and were then refused the right to vote because their local council failed at maths? I'd not give up hope yet: enough people are annoyed at not being let into their polling station, or at the LibDems getting as much power as they have, or at Labour missing out, or just at their voice not counting becuase they're in the "wrong" constituency, that there could be firm support for an alternative system.

I don't see anyone buying boundary changes as "progressive" if they've half a brain, they've been saying they've been working on that to keep it balanced for years, so suddenly flip-flopping must set off alarm bells in any right-thinking person's head, surely?

Oh, I hope you're right BB! But only a teeny tiny fraction of that 35% are those who tried but didn't get to vote. We're talking hundreds, not tens of thousands. I'm in no way defending the shortcomings of local councils, but tragically, I'm afraid apathy was the bigger problem.

SS xx

SEXYGET 69 [sign in to see picture]

Absolutely agree. It was dead where I live when I went to vote. It's a Labour super stronghold here. If god himself came out of the sky and promised all to everyone they'd still vote Labour instead! Nuts. I know my non Labour local vote was wasted. One guy on local radio once said if you stuck a red rosette on a donkey and put it up for election here it would get voted in!

Sad.

SG x

yeah, where I am, a monkey in a blue hat could win and go sit opposite your red donkey. This is an absolute Tory stronghold. Boooooo.

SS xx

masterandslave [sign in to see picture]

SEXYGET 69 wrote:

Absolutely agree. It was dead where I live when I went to vote. It's a Labour super stronghold here. If god himself came out of the sky and promised all to everyone they'd still vote Labour instead! Nuts. I know my non Labour local vote was wasted. One guy on local radio once said if you stuck a red rosette on a donkey and put it up for election here it would get voted in!

Sad.

SG x

Same here hun so bloody frustrating!!!

x

WandA [sign in to see picture]

SweetSubmission wrote:

yeah, where I am, a monkey in a blue hat could win and go sit opposite your red donkey. This is an absolute Tory stronghold. Boooooo.

SS xx

Any prizes for finding these said monkeys and donkeys currently sitting in the Commons? I think I could find a few already.

I'm unsure about the reform issue. The LD's have asked for a measurable concession and specific question to ask rather than a wishy washy "Can we have change?". Although AV isn't my preferred choice it is some change. It takes a brave or stupid government to ignore a referendum, its harder to pretend people haven't answered like most issues.

WandA wrote:

SweetSubmission wrote:

SS xx

Any prizes for finding these said monkeys and donkeys currently sitting in the Commons? I think I could find a few already.

I'm unsure about the reform issue. The LD's have asked for a measurable concession and specific question to ask rather than a wishy washy "Can we have change?". Although AV isn't my preferred choice it is some change. It takes a brave or stupid government to ignore a referendum, its harder to pretend people haven't answered like most issues.

I found the monkey. It's Michael Gove. He doesn't look human. Any word on the donkey?

SS xx

WandA [sign in to see picture]

Haha!

You did:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Michael_Gove.jpg

CurlyCoupleWife [sign in to see picture]

SweetSubmission wrote:

I found the monkey. It's Michael Gove. He doesn't look human. Any word on the donkey?

SS xx

Ha ha ha! I guess we'll have to ask their wives

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.