• Religion and Sex

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

Phantasma wrote:

Excellent thread - very informative.

Im going to try and help Xianity a little bit. A lot of christians these days, at least outside America, will recognise that a balance must be found between society and religion. I was brought up as a christian and was told that going into marriage as a virgin was a great thing in the eyes of god. But at no point was i ever told that if i didnt i was going to burn in hell etc etc.

For many christians there is a good way fo doing things and a less good way - but most will practice christian forgiveness and understanding and dont usually judge people too harshly - at least in my experience.

That's all fine and dandy and I doubt anyone has a problem with Christians practising in such a way.

The problem is, it does provide a situation where *some* people can take the book and take it literally and use it as justification for condemnation of others.

I'm not saying that religion causes fundamentalism at all, I'm just saying, it's a situation where someone who behaves in every way *between* "normality" and "fundamentalism" right up until it reaches fundamentalism, are afforded some kind of protection due to the idea that religious view points are "untouchable"

That's not necessarily a problem with religion, more so with the protection religion is afforded by both the religious and the non religious. As long as nothing is beyond critisism I've no problem with people being religious at all but if they tell me that I'm not allowed to critisise the opinion they've given then I have issues. It is protection from critisism that leads to corruption such as the pope being "allowed" to protect paedophilic priests...or to take an example from a non religious circumstance, leaders of countries where the leader is protected from critisism can more easily end up stuck in the corrupted leader becomes a dictator sort of situation.

Adxx

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

criticism*

Thought it looked wrong :S

Adxx

rampant123 [sign in to see picture]

WandA wrote:

rampant123 wrote:

quick question to wanda what does

Except the feeble among men, and the women, and the children, who are unable to devise a plan 4:98
    have to do with the forum
    ,really.Its showing "Allah's" mercy to the feeble .As it says 4:99 (97) Except the feeble among men, and the women, and the children, who are unable to devise a plan and are not shown a way. (98) As for such, it may be that Allah will pardon them. Allah is ever Clement, Forgiving. (99)

And for the 2nd one you quoted I found it as companion not wives but yeh I am no Muslim scholar

More backwards sexist thinking from a good ol' holy book.

To paraphrase: "Women's intellectual ability is comparable to those suffering from mental deficiency and children."

Allah may pardon them, but not before we reduce women's intellectual ability to that of kids, a 'we'll let you off because you're thick' pardon.

Ah. well punish the 'companion' (although of course this only applies to married heterosexuals) for the misdeeds of another.

How about feeble among men women and children

WandA [sign in to see picture]

rampant123 wrote:

WandA wrote:

rampant123 wrote:

quick question to wanda what does

Except the feeble among men, and the women, and the children, who are unable to devise a plan 4:98
    have to do with the forum
    ,really.Its showing "Allah's" mercy to the feeble .As it says 4:99 (97) Except the feeble among men, and the women, and the children, who are unable to devise a plan and are not shown a way. (98) As for such, it may be that Allah will pardon them. Allah is ever Clement, Forgiving. (99)

And for the 2nd one you quoted I found it as companion not wives but yeh I am no Muslim scholar

How about feeble among men women and children

Nope.

Feeble among men, and the women.

It's hardly unbelievable that a book written in, what we might call the Dark Ages*, is filled with sexist, racist and homophobic content.

(*The Dark Ages is of course bad terminology, especially when applied outside of Europe during the period but it serves to highlight my point)

WandA [sign in to see picture]

Footjobs in the Bible!

Well, something like that...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-02-05/sex-and-the-bible-what-the-good-book-really-says

Interesting take on the 'sexy' bits in the Bible and the often confused semantics. Apparently the Bible doesn't present the traditional image portrayed from the pulpits.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.