£1.79 Next Day delivery! Hurry ends in ...
  • Wait! We think you’re in the US - Lovehoney.com is a better site for you.
    Shop there and get 10% off!
    United States Flag
    Go to Lovehoney.com
  1. Religion and Sex

    1272650650
    Tigerlilies [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 999
    • Joined: 12 Jan 2010

    Nexas wrote:

    Well, I was raised a catholic but went my own way when I was around 13/14 ^_^'

    Yet some will say you'll always be Catholic I love Dara O'brien's conclusion on religion:

    'I'm atheist...well....Catholic atheist.'

    1272652196
    WandA [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 6177
    • Joined: 28 Nov 2007

    Tigerlilies wrote:

    If memory serves me the site of churches and graveyards were always sites for rites of passage in the teenage years. And the only time in my life I will admit to drinking Lambrini.

    Better than 20p litres of cider I guess...

    See, I always had a militant streak in me, I got threw out the scouts for not going to church... Bastards... Anyway my point is that I missed out on all this guilt ridden churchy sexy business. Did I miss much then?

    I've been baptised. Bah!

    1272653067
    Tigerlilies [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 999
    • Joined: 12 Jan 2010

    WandA wrote:

    Tigerlilies wrote:

    If memory serves me the site of churches and graveyards were always sites for rites of passage in the teenage years. And the only time in my life I will admit to drinking Lambrini.

    Better than 20p litres of cider I guess...

    See, I always had a militant streak in me, I got threw out the scouts for not going to church... Bastards... Anyway my point is that I missed out on all this guilt ridden churchy sexy business. Did I miss much then?

    I've been baptised. Bah!

    I missed out on the whole church shebang, thank god, but my schooling was religous. Tartan kilts were involved and far too much indoctrination about 'good behaviour.' Boys having sex= healthy and natural. Girls having sex = fallen woman! No wonder we all went wild during 'Christian Camp.' Ha!

    Thankfully my parents didn't agree with this. My mother is a lapsed Catholic, although I swear I have the Catholic compex by osmosis. A very groovy woman she is. I count my blessings for how liberal my family is but I think it comes from being a household where the phrase 'life is short' is no joke.

    Despite the open invitations I still sneak a boyfriend in. If only because my mum will start cooking for them.

    1272653135
    Tigerlilies [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 999
    • Joined: 12 Jan 2010

    WandA wrote:

    I've been baptised. Bah!

    I'm a heathen. It's what happens when you get a mixed marriage. Proddies and Catholics, it never ends well....

    1272653629
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3406
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    Tigerlilies wrote:

    WandA wrote:

    I've been baptised. Bah!

    I'm a heathen. It's what happens when you get a mixed marriage. Proddies and Catholics, it never ends well....

    I find upbringing fascinating! My parents were religious and my mum still is (although I think she's just scared) but my dad was converted to atheism shortly before I was! My dad was a choir boy! Now he's a firm atheist, and skeptic (albeit a lazy one).

    I went to a church school and sunday school and was brought up christian though never christened. Luckily my parents are also really liberal though and would always have respected my decisions so I never felt forced...I still stand by religion messing up my mind though - I have a "watched" complex!

    Ax

    1272654141
    WandA [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 6177
    • Joined: 28 Nov 2007

    Tigerlilies wrote:

    WandA wrote:

    I've been baptised. Bah!

    I'm a heathen. It's what happens when you get a mixed marriage. Proddies and Catholics, it never ends well....

    An odd stance to take. If no agreement on baby salvation can be met we'll call it a truce, not bother and ensure the little one ends up in a hell for sure!

    At least if I'm wrong and there is a proddie God I can point to that legally binding contract of 'drippy water on the head'. Remember that just in case you ever agree to anything in the rain.

    1273491123
    Malteser81 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 851
    • Joined: 2 Aug 2009

    I went to a catholic primary school and then onto a catholic secondary school though hated every minute of it. I just couldnt understand the values they hold and as I was never baptised I consider myself a stern athiest. With my own children I really dont mind what they choose as they have their own mind but although they dont go to a school that has a specific religion they do have the bible and god etc thrown at them constantly. Me I believe ppl should make their own choices when they are old anough and not be swayed either way when they are children.

    1273491135
    Malteser81 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 851
    • Joined: 2 Aug 2009

    I went to a catholic primary school and then onto a catholic secondary school though hated every minute of it. I just couldnt understand the values they hold and as I was never baptised I consider myself a stern athiest. With my own children I really dont mind what they choose as they have their own mind but although they dont go to a school that has a specific religion they do have the bible and god etc thrown at them constantly. Me I believe ppl should make their own choices when they are old anough and not be swayed either way when they are children.

    1273497856
    BashfulBabe [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 716
    • Joined: 24 Apr 2010

    I guess it all comes down to "everything in moderation". I also went to a Catholic school, and in rural-ish Ireland at that, and my mother (despite being a divorcée) was fairly into the whole thing. Like, to the point that I remember her dragging me to the gate of the local Magdalene laundry and threatening to send me in because she saw me smile at a boy once: never realised how lucky I was she didn't follow through there until years later! It sounds mental to say that this was way less than two decades ago, but we even had nuns teaching us to knit so we could make clothes for the 'black babies' (who, incidentally, are black because their parents were sinners and God burnt their skin to match their souls...yeah...). I'm amazed I'm not a bazillion times more crazy, coming out of that! Thankfully I never paid much mind to the nuns and their ramblings, I'd started my education over here so I was already way ahead of the class, and knew enough to know they were all cracked. Later on they just hated me because I was one of the few who'd talk back rather than cower in fear because there was a priest in the room.

    But that's exactly it, I feel no affinity for any religious beliefs because they were just stuffed down our throats as "facts", and prayers were just yet another list of words we had to memorise and rattle off: religion was the same as maths or French, you did your homework, regurgitated the words without even understanding them, and got to go another day without punishment. A part of me feels I missed out, because if it had been taught differently I might have actually been able to think about what I do and don't believe without having the same reaction as when I think of the old equally irrelevant to me algebra formulae.

    Right now, I'm still struggling to not assume that my extemist experience speaks for all Catholics. I know plenty of people here who can go to church once a week, believe fully in god, and still act "human", but it's hard to forget years of being taught that Catholicism meant being a psychotic, racist, ignorant nun.

    1273959074
    WandA [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 6177
    • Joined: 28 Nov 2007

    BashfulBabe wrote:

    I guess it all comes down to "everything in moderation". I also went to a Catholic school, and in rural-ish Ireland at that, and my mother (despite being a divorcée) was fairly into the whole thing. Like, to the point that I remember her dragging me to the gate of the local Magdalene laundry and threatening to send me in because she saw me smile at a boy once: never realised how lucky I was she didn't follow through there until years later! It sounds mental to say that this was way less than two decades ago, but we even had nuns teaching us to knit so we could make clothes for the 'black babies' (who, incidentally, are black because their parents were sinners and God burnt their skin to match their souls...yeah...). I'm amazed I'm not a bazillion times more crazy, coming out of that! Thankfully I never paid much mind to the nuns and their ramblings, I'd started my education over here so I was already way ahead of the class, and knew enough to know they were all cracked. Later on they just hated me because I was one of the few who'd talk back rather than cower in fear because there was a priest in the room.

    But that's exactly it, I feel no affinity for any religious beliefs because they were just stuffed down our throats as "facts", and prayers were just yet another list of words we had to memorise and rattle off: religion was the same as maths or French, you did your homework, regurgitated the words without even understanding them, and got to go another day without punishment. A part of me feels I missed out, because if it had been taught differently I might have actually been able to think about what I do and don't believe without having the same reaction as when I think of the old equally irrelevant to me algebra formulae.

    Right now, I'm still struggling to not assume that my extemist experience speaks for all Catholics. I know plenty of people here who can go to church once a week, believe fully in god, and still act "human", but it's hard to forget years of being taught that Catholicism meant being a psychotic, racist, ignorant nun.

    Without going into all the baggage that comes with religion I know one of my sticking points is that it allows justification of the behaviours you describe, especially when you use an old bigoted book.

    At least the experience made you stronger instead of crushing you BB.

    1273960803
    sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1827
    • Joined: 17 Nov 2008

    one thing we were taught about in Religious Education is that the bible sends mixed messages about sex. is this true?

    i know on one hand youve got a lot telling people not to have sex untill theyre married/ not for enjoyment.

    But on the other theres the "song of songs" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_Songs

    1273961330
    WandA [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 6177
    • Joined: 28 Nov 2007

    sweetlove666 wrote:

    one thing we were taught about in Religious Education is that the bible sends mixed messages about sex. is this true?

    i know on one hand youve got a lot telling people not to have sex untill theyre married/ not for enjoyment.

    But on the other theres the "song of songs" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_Songs

    A useful resource for analysing the Bible!

    http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/sex/long.htm

    http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html

    1274038967
    WandA [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 6177
    • Joined: 28 Nov 2007

    Not strictly just religion but a interesting read in two parts.

    http://www.examiner.com/x-45197-Human-Sexuality-Examiner~y2010m5d3-Masturbation-Taboos-from-Bible-Times-to-Medieval

    http://www.examiner.com/x-45197-Human-Sexuality-Examiner~y2010m5d4-Masturbation-taboos-from-the-19th21st-centuries

    1274117383
    masterandslave [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1596
    • Joined: 28 Jun 2008

    Sam66 wrote:

    Masrerandslave ... I suspect the documentary in question was to do wih a VERY odd Baptist Church - the name of which escapes me for the moment. They've been disowned by most other Christians. Was it the one by Louis Theroux?

    Yes it was, a real eye opener to what other people will do for their own beliefs no matter what they are.

    x

    1274119927
    WandA [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 6177
    • Joined: 28 Nov 2007

    masterandslave wrote:

    Sam66 wrote:

    Masrerandslave ... I suspect the documentary in question was to do wih a VERY odd Baptist Church - the name of which escapes me for the moment. They've been disowned by most other Christians. Was it the one by Louis Theroux?

    Yes it was, a real eye opener to what other people will do for their own beliefs no matter what they are.

    x

    Oooo... yes I know them. 'God hates fags' etc...

    The Westboro Baptist Church I think.

    1294738509
    rampant123 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 32
    • Joined: 15 Aug 2007

    quick question to wanda what does

    Except the feeble among men, and the women, and the children, who are unable to devise a plan 4:98
    have to do with the forum ,really.Its showing "Allah's" mercy to the feeble .As it says 4:99 (97) Except the feeble among men, and the women, and the children, who are unable to devise a plan and are not shown a way. (98) As for such, it may be that Allah will pardon them. Allah is ever Clement, Forgiving. (99)

    And for the 2nd one you quoted I found it as companion not wives but yeh I am no Muslim scholar

    1294751048
    WandA [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 6177
    • Joined: 28 Nov 2007

    rampant123 wrote:

    quick question to wanda what does

    Except the feeble among men, and the women, and the children, who are unable to devise a plan 4:98
    have to do with the forum
    ,really.Its showing "Allah's" mercy to the feeble .As it says 4:99 (97) Except the feeble among men, and the women, and the children, who are unable to devise a plan and are not shown a way. (98) As for such, it may be that Allah will pardon them. Allah is ever Clement, Forgiving. (99)

    And for the 2nd one you quoted I found it as companion not wives but yeh I am no Muslim scholar

    More backwards sexist thinking from a good ol' holy book.

    To paraphrase: "Women's intellectual ability is comparable to those suffering from mental deficiency and children."

    Allah may pardon them, but not before we reduce women's intellectual ability to that of kids, a 'we'll let you off because you're thick' pardon.

    Ah. well punish the 'companion' (although of course this only applies to married heterosexuals) for the misdeeds of another.

    1294771856
    MissFortune [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Captain
    • Posts: 42
    • Joined: 10 Aug 2009

    Ah, this thread reminds me of some quote I read the other day - namely:

    "Religion is like a penis.
    It's fine to have one.
    It's fine to be proud of it.
    But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my children's throats."

    xx

    1294773608
    WandA [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 6177
    • Joined: 28 Nov 2007

    MissFortune wrote:

    Ah, this thread reminds me of some quote I read the other day - namely:

    "Religion is like a penis.
    It's fine to have one.
    It's fine to be proud of it.
    But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my children's throats."

    xx

    And it usually ends badly if you let it make the decisions for you.

    1294938315
    Phantasma [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
    • Posts: 66
    • Joined: 20 Dec 2010

    Excellent thread - very informative.

    Im going to try and help Xianity a little bit. A lot of christians these days, at least outside America, will recognise that a balance must be found between society and religion. I was brought up as a christian and was told that going into marriage as a virgin was a great thing in the eyes of god. But at no point was i ever told that if i didnt i was going to burn in hell etc etc.

    For many christians there is a good way fo doing things and a less good way - but most will practice christian forgiveness and understanding and dont usually judge people too harshly - at least in my experience.

    Post a reply to this thread

    Please sign in to post messages to the forum.