1. Anxiety medication and sex drive/orgasm

    1560810657
    Singleyummymummy [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Captain
    • Posts: 10
    • Joined: 25 Oct 2012

    I hope nobody minds me asking. I suffer from anxiety and ptsd and will be going back to my doctor for anxiety medication. I don't want to go on something that will stop orgasms. Has anyone successfully taken anxiety medication and still been able to orgasm and enjoy sex? If so please could you tell me what you were on. I think ill be even more anxious if I can't reach an O :( female btw

    1560812256
    VirginAngel [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 908
    • Joined: 1 Mar 2014

    I'm on a pretty high dose of Clomipramine for OCD, depresson and ptsd, i can still orgasm the same as previous to medication.

    Its an older, less safe TCA not an SSRI though, you may have trouble getting it without t rying SSRI's first.

    1560813837
    Singleyummymummy [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Captain
    • Posts: 10
    • Joined: 25 Oct 2012

    VirginAngel wrote:

    I'm on a pretty high dose of Clomipramine for OCD, depresson and ptsd, i can still orgasm the same as previous to medication.

    Its an older, less safe TCA not an SSRI though, you may have trouble getting it without t rying SSRI's first.

    It just kinda scares me the thought of not being able to reach an orgasm even through masterbation. I feel like I would feel like I had no control over my body? Thank you for your reply and sharing what you are on. I'm always finding something to worry about :(
    1560851886
    Janes [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major
    • Posts: 101
    • Joined: 1 Feb 2019

    Hi Singleyummymummy, although I’m Male, I’ve been on sertraline for three years now and it hasn’t affected my ability to orgasm, both solo and with my wife. There have been other threads on here where sertraline has been mentioned as a course for affecting orgasm, so I think it’s very much down to trying something for a couple of months and seeing how they work for you. I was in a really bad way with my mental health and especially anxiety. But this drug has helped me so much. I hope you find something that works for you :-)

    1560852374
    Lovehoney - Jess Wilde [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2667
    • Joined: 30 Nov 2012

    Hey Singleyummymummy 

    I've been taking Sertraline for a few months now (which is particularly helpful for PTSD, as well as anxiety and depression) and it hasn't seemed to affect my ability to orgasm or my libido. (Thw Womanizer still works wonders 😉)

    Good luck! 

    1560853458
    AmyA [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1206
    • Joined: 21 Feb 2016

    Would agree with sertraline, once I got over the mental barrier of "I'm on medication, I'm unwell, I shouldn't be feeling good" I had no problem reaching orgasm. The only problem I have is falling asleep on the sofa of an evening which tends to kill the urge.

    1560855275
    Kinky&Curvy [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 788
    • Joined: 21 Aug 2013

    I found initially that when I first started taking Sertraline for depression that it did affect my libido and ability to orgasm but having been on it for 3 years or so now I find that that particular side effect hasn’t lasted and I’m good to go now. It is definitely a case of trying the medication for a few months because you may have side effects to start with and they’ll begin to stop as your body gets used to the medication but they all affect everyone differently, it is also dependant on the strength of the medication you’ll be on. If one Medication doesn’t work for you, your GP will help find one that suits you best so don’t worry about the long term :)

    1560858157
    12_monkees [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
    • Posts: 55
    • Joined: 15 Sep 2009

    I agree with a lot that’s already been said. I’ve been on anxiety/depression medication for almost 5 years and probably about 8+ variations of tablets. Most of them prevented me from orgasms, which then gave me the mental block every time I tried. There have been 2 medications that didn’t effect me and that was mirtazapine and nortriptyline, but that doesn’t mean it’s all the same as each person is different, it’s that reason it can be very hard for Dr’s to find something that works. Only advise I could give is listen to the Dr’s, medication can take upto 6 weeks before any improvement and sometimes it gets worse before you feel better. In the past I’ve found therapy helped, being able to discuss it with others that suffer.

    1560862693
    Oldman [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 666
    • Joined: 3 Dec 2016

    Been years since I have been on anxiety medications . They did not directly effect my ability , but they sure reduce my desires . I have been using the same subliminal relaxation program since I was hit with PTSD along with garden variety anxiety in the late 80s . I think it cost $20 US to download it . Search Dr David Illig at Success World . Stress and anxiety program . I have an original cassette and later a CD . I can safely say I would not be around if it were not for this audio program .

    1560864889
    Lovehoney - Jess Wilde [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2667
    • Joined: 30 Nov 2012

    Kinky&Curvy wrote:

    I found initially that when I first started taking Sertraline for depression that it did affect my libido and ability to orgasm but having been on it for 3 years or so now I find that that particular side effect hasn’t lasted and I’m good to go now. It is definitely a case of trying the medication for a few months because you may have side effects to start with and they’ll begin to stop as your body gets used to the medication but they all affect everyone differently, it is also dependant on the strength of the medication you’ll be on. If one Medication doesn’t work for you, your GP will help find one that suits you best so don’t worry about the long term :)

    ^^^ this is definitely good advice. I've been posting mental health updates on my instagram and this is something I find myself telling people a lot. Give it at LEAST 3 months to settle into any medication before you think about changing dose or drug. A lot of my side effects subsided after the 3 month mark. 

    1560899290
    fizzy [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1786
    • Joined: 31 Oct 2010

    I'd just like to say that this thread is what I love about the Lovehoney forum! People can be open and honest, ask questions they normally couldn't  and get great advice! 

    1560992119
    Curioyenlotus [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Lieutenant
    • Posts: 4
    • Joined: 12 Jan 2012

    OP, I have had your exact problem but found a pill that doesn’t cause sexual side effects. I was on Fluoxetine then Sertraline then Mirtazapine, all suffered from the same problem, extreme difficulty to cum and low sex drive. Have a look at Bupropion, it’s considered ‘atypical’

    1561374016
    BlueMaggie79 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Captain
    • Posts: 26
    • Joined: 27 Aug 2012

    I have tried sertraline and citalopram. Both affect orgasm, either less intense or unable to achieve orgasm. Venlafaxine has been better for this, unfortunately it has a shorter half life. This means that it discontinuation symptoms (withdrawal) start more quickly if you forget to take one. What talking therapies have you been offered? You can often self refer to stress control/anxiety management. This is good for immediate, and less of a waiting list usually. Some areas do this as a teaching session, as a group. You dont share personal info. Just attend a workshop/lecture type thing and get given strategies etc to help. You can also have personal therapy for example Congnitive Behaviour therapy or therapy for the PTSD You need to ask for a referral for therapy along side the medication. And also, as mentioned above, relaxation.

    1561587518
    mr sp [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
    • Posts: 179
    • Joined: 1 Jan 2015

    Janes wrote:

    Hi Singleyummymummy, although I’m Male, I’ve been on sertraline for three years now and it hasn’t affected my ability to orgasm, both solo and with my wife. There have been other threads on here where sertraline has been mentioned as a course for affecting orgasm, so I think it’s very much down to trying something for a couple of months and seeing how they work for you. I was in a really bad way with my mental health and especially anxiety. But this drug has helped me so much. I hope you find something that works for you :-)

    I am on the same medication for my depression and although my arousal status has gone a bit wobbly of late and my wife doesn't help anymore when i am aroused i can still enjoy a good orgasm.

    1561900322
    MK7 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 732
    • Joined: 21 Sep 2015

    I find that toys help. I very rarely just randomly get in the mood anymore, and it can be a bit tedious when I do get to it.

    Post a reply to this thread

    Please sign in to post messages to the forum.