• Tampon Bleaching. Do not want.

Tigerlilies [sign in to see picture]

Sexy subject, I know, but has anyone else read up on this? It's a worrying issue and one that concerns sanitary pads too.

Some of these products contain a chemical called Dioxin. Our vaginal juices are very absorbent and this chemical, which is part of the same family as Agent Orange, is being absorbed into our systems. Rhesus monkeys exposed to excess Dioxin showed an increased incidence of endometriosis.

I wondered why we don't hear more about this but tampon companies select who does their research and the FDA base their findings on these hand picked, pro tampon, scientist.

There's a great article on the subject, with many studies to be found here

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/The_Dangers_of_Tampons_Chlorine_Bleaching_and_Dioxin.html

Some companies are now selling tampons made of 100% organic cotton. Organic products are free of chemical sprays, fragrances and dyes (to make your tampon whiter)

Natracare is a British company that makes organic hygiene products. So far they can only be bought in Waitrose, unless you go online: http://www.natracare.com/en-GB/ They're friendly to the Earth as well.

There's also Cottons, available at selected Boots and Morrisons stores which are also bio-degradable.

http://www.cottonsbrands.co.uk/info/products/tampons.php

I'm not a tampon fan, but I'm glad that there are now natural alternatives for towels and liners. If anyone knows or has used these brands or any otheres, let me know.

Do you think the current tampons will be something our daughters will look back on with disbelief?

WandA [sign in to see picture]

AdnaW is already terrified of TSS, I'll have to live with her in fear all the time now TL!

She is looking into 'mooncups' though so ask her more about them if that appears to be an alternative.

I have my own issues with 'organic' stuff but personally if I was of the vaginalled variety, i.e. a women, I wouldn't be too concerned being in the UK according to that article, as it is banned here. As far as I'm aware the US generally doesn't give a sh*t about its citizens if it gets in the way of a buck or two.

I do think there is a problem with our exposure to certain chemicals. Increased prenatal feminisation of boys has been blamed on certain chemicals (and also observed in fish) that block testosterone and AdnaW knows if we tried for a baby I feel strongly that I would rather she smells than uses a potentially dangerous chemical!

But back to the link... I'm not sure how reliable the source is. It appears to be another bull 'self help' and 'natural' site to me. Perhaps its worth more research...

Ah I missed the UK ban on dioxin. The other chemicals still concern me though.

Agreed, that's not the best link at all! I'm trying to find a link written by a doctor on a proper medical community.

Mooncups don't appeal to me. I can't imagine washing one up in a public bathroom.

Aha, here are some more credible links:

http://www.center4research.org/wmnshlth/2005/tamponsafety.html This also covers Toxic Shock Syndrome.

The FDA http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Safety/AlertsandNotices/PatientAlerts/ucm070003.htm

If you see something better, let me know WandA, it's a tricky thing to find UK legislation for on an official website.

http://www.ejnet.org/dioxin/nas2006.pdf

I've found this 'merican report on dioxins... Warning, its very long!

I'm supposed to be doing my essays so might delve into the topic when I've got them all done... and when the dogs fat head isn't leaning on my elbow giving me pins and needles...

Fabulous, thank you. I'll get stuck in after I've put the kettle on.

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

"Is my tampon white enough? Hang on I'll just chuck some bleach on it then put it in my V!"

Ugh. Disturbing..

I thought that a little strange... It's reminds me of super markets wasting about a quarter of all fruit and veg simply because people refuse to eat non perfect food even if it is as tasty!

Why are people so obsessed with perfections about such mundane things?

Ecksvie [sign in to see picture]

I think it's conditioning. People won't buy fruit that isn't perfectly shaped because we've been subjected to perfect fruit for so long. We all know the funny shaped fruit is fine, but that's what the big businesses have done to our psychology. Same with tampons and everything else I suppose, although personally I couldn't care what colour my tampons are. It's not like fruit where it's supposed to look pretty and appetising. It's going up my vagina to soak up my blood! It's not the same colour when it comes out anyway!

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

Tigerlilies wrote:

Ah I missed the UK ban on dioxin. The other chemicals still concern me though.

Agreed, that's not the best link at all! I'm trying to find a link written by a doctor on a proper medical community.

Mooncups don't appeal to me. I can't imagine washing one up in a public bathroom.

They suggest taking a small bottle of water with you - they only need a quick rinse. Plus you can use them longer than tampons (no risk of TSS) so on lighter days it shouldn't be an issue.

I've heard very, very good things of them so if you're worried about tampons and don't like pads they're worth concidering. I hate tampons as they dry me out and pads make my sensitive skin flare up so they are a possible solution for me!

As for chemicals, I tend not to worry, we're in a strict country and scientists are more clued up than the media gives them credit for. As WandA says, when it comes to a developing foetus it's worth concidering but I tend to go on the idea that I never use any one thing excessively enough to cause myself long term damage taking into account the laws in the UK.

Ax

Ilovemyman [sign in to see picture]

I used the moon cup for a while, this it your Q to leave now if you don't want to hear about blood.........................

ok, i do have really heavy periods, i have to wear 2 pads at a time and change every hour and still sometimes leak through but it seemed worse with the moon cup because there is nothing to absorb the blood, the cup was overflowing all the time and i found it really uncomfortable! I tried it for 3 months and gave up (with sore bits)

I bet the sanitary products without the bleach are really expensive, it would be ok if you only use a pack or two per period but i average 4 packs in 5 days

Ilovemyman wrote:

I used the moon cup for a while, this it your Q to leave now if you don't want to hear about blood.........................

ok, i do have really heavy periods, i have to wear 2 pads at a time and change every hour and still sometimes leak through but it seemed worse with the moon cup because there is nothing to absorb the blood, the cup was overflowing all the time and i found it really uncomfortable! I tried it for 3 months and gave up (with sore bits)

I bet the sanitary products without the bleach are really expensive, it would be ok if you only use a pack or two per period but i average 4 packs in 5 days

Wowee! *Hugs* do you take the pill? You can safely run as many packets as you like together with no break (I find any more than 6 gives me a little break through bleeding though) to avoid nasty periods. Do you know why you bleed quite so heavily? General advisory to get it checked out if you haven't already (I'm assuming you have though).

Axx

SweetSubmission [sign in to see picture]

I am a long term cystitis sufferer (horrid horrid horrid) and one of the nurses at the hospital suggested I try a mooncup as the chemicals in tampons can "irritate". I'm investigating... AdnaW, are you going to go for it?

SS xx

Puppies77 [sign in to see picture]

I'd never thought of chemicals in tampons....im shocked

scary, isn't it?

SS xx

SweetSubmission wrote:

I am a long term cystitis sufferer (horrid horrid horrid) and one of the nurses at the hospital suggested I try a mooncup as the chemicals in tampons can "irritate". I'm investigating... AdnaW, are you going to go for it?

SS xx

Seriously considering giving it a go to see how I fare - can't quite stretch to the £20 right now, but I aim to have one before the end of April hopefully so I'll post either in here, or start a new thread on it once I've given it a go

From what I can gather, it's worth trying because many women really find them beneficial http://www.mooncup.co.uk/ is their website if you're interested in finding out more.

Ax

Puppies77 [sign in to see picture]

I have seen them in boots but it just sounds so fiddly n messy :S

£20... it is a lot, but when I think what I must have spent on tampons over the years...

SS xx

Ilovemyman [sign in to see picture]

AdnaW wrote:

Ilovemyman wrote:

Wowee! *Hugs* do you take the pill? You can safely run as many packets as you like together with no break (I find any more than 6 gives me a little break through bleeding though) to avoid nasty periods. Do you know why you bleed quite so heavily? General advisory to get it checked out if you haven't already (I'm assuming you have though).

Axx

Thanks, i came off the pill in September, i had been on it for about 3 years because before i went on it i had a period for 9 months solid and nothing they were giving me stopped it! I really don't want to go on the pill again because my sex drive totally went, i never thought about sex, never wanted it, it was a chore I turned in to a monster my moods were terrible, i don't know why my husband stayed with me, when i came off the pill i could see how nasty i had been and what made it worse was when i asked him how and why hestayed with me he simply said because i love you! I know there are other makes of pill my GP mentioned Yasmin but i am so scared of being like that again! At the moment i am having regular periods (although i was a week late this time) and only being on for 5 days i can deal with that, but if it gets worse i will have to go on the pill. The reason i bleed so heavily is because i have polysystic ovaries. I would give the Mooncup a go, just because it wasn't for me you may be fine with it. xxx

Wizzie86 [sign in to see picture]

I think it's ridiculous that companies play with health risks by adding chemicals to make tampons White! I mean geez, they're not exactly gonna stay White for long are they?!

I tried about six different brands before I found one that worked for me ILMM, but it was worth it. The people around me soon let me know if my moods were back to being bad, and I just went back to the GP until I found something that worked. Your husband sounds like a super hero, you lucky thing - I'm sure he'd tell you if whatever brand you tried wasn't working well and set you back. Worth a go?

SS xx

Thread closed

This thread is closed, so no new messages can be posted.