£1.29 Next Day delivery! Hurry ends in ...
  1. Beautiful Scars: What's your story?

SweetSubmission [sign in to see picture]

I am no expert, Miss Orgasm, but I asked my mum (who is a psychotherapist) and she says, like any other addiction or compulsion, you *can* break it, but it will always be part of your past and something to be wary about. She compared it to recovered alcoholics - if you've not touched a drop in 5 years, you're not physically addicted to alcohol, but many recovered alcoholics choose never to expose themselves to risk of relapse by drinking again. Apparently, self harm is similar - if you're not harming, you're "recovered". If you start to harm again, see it as a separate event and you can still view all the time you went without hurting yourself as an achievement and deal with the new problem separately, as this will make it seem smaller and more beatable rather than as part of a giant problem going back years.

I am saddened to read of your difficult experiences, Miss Orgasm and everyone else who has spoken of their struggle with a desire to hurt themselves, but I am moved, inspired and uplifted by you all for your strength, honesty and courage. It's amazing that you can share these things here.

Much love.

SS xx

missorgasm [sign in to see picture]

SweetSubmission wrote:

I am no expert, Miss Orgasm, but I asked my mum (who is a psychotherapist) and she says, like any other addiction or compulsion, you *can* break it, but it will always be part of your past and something to be wary about. She compared it to recovered alcoholics - if you've not touched a drop in 5 years, you're not physically addicted to alcohol, but many recovered alcoholics choose never to expose themselves to risk of relapse by drinking again. Apparently, self harm is similar - if you're not harming, you're "recovered". If you start to harm again, see it as a separate event and you can still view all the time you went without hurting yourself as an achievement and deal with the new problem separately, as this will make it seem smaller and more beatable rather than as part of a giant problem going back years.

I am saddened to read of your difficult experiences, Miss Orgasm and everyone else who has spoken of their struggle with a desire to hurt themselves, but I am moved, inspired and uplifted by you all for your strength, honesty and courage. It's amazing that you can share these things here.

Much love.

SS xx

thanks for this, i hadnt thought of it as a seperate event just a big one coming back. everyone on here has been amazingly honest and open and its very admiral, i dont see why its a taboo subject, it is unfortunatly something an awful lot of people go through whether they do it or someone they love does it and if every one (not just people on LH) were more open about it then maybe a few less people would get in to it, people are taught about alcohol and drug addictions in school i personally think this subject should be covered too xxxx

tallboy247 [sign in to see picture]

Mistress Cara wrote:

Hugs Loves huni xxx

I also have self harm scars, on the insides of my arms and the sides of my thighs they still show... they have taken years to lighten and in some places fade away but not everywhere. They were also from depression etc (obviously duh lol) I had a nervous breakdown between the ages of 18-22.

I also have stretch marks from my son who will be 5 this year, and a pregnancy that I miscarried at 4 months after that didnt help..

I have cellulite (who doesnt? )

I'm a walking relief map! lol mmm sexy lol

No ceulite here but l do have a weeny scar on my lip from something the surgeons snicked off when l was but a wee babe!! Luckily no lasting damage.

TB

sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]

hanks for all the support guys, i really appreachiate it so much, esp as some of the triggers are things i will never be able to block out of my life ( family ect) massive *booby hugs* for everyone who's shared on here!

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

Missorgasm - I can't speak for others, but for me, I get tempted. I say I don't harm anymore but a few weeks ago I punched a metal bar to prevent myself from cutting and have dug keys into my legs or scratched myself to prevent myself from cutting so I guess it's still technically self harm. I am working on it - I know for me, I only get tempted when I'm angry with myself, when I feel I've done something that upsets a person a lot.

I also have (had) OCD when younger, I don't let myself get back into it now but I do get the feelings - I don't compulsively hand wash anymore, but I do come home to check my straighteners occasionally and find myself wanting to check doors are locked several times.

As Puppies said, I think with any compulsion (I wouldn't call these things addictions - not in my case anyway) then it is difficult to stop *wanting* to do them but it is possible to stop doing the action.

Ax

Honeytongue [sign in to see picture]

I agree with AdnaW. I don't think you ever completely stop being tempted - I certainly still get an urge to do it and yes I sometimes hurt myself in other ways than cutting. The way I get through it is trying to recognise the build up. I have an amazing friend - I just text him that I'm tempted/struggling and he immediately knows how to talk me out of it. I also tell my OH when I feel I'm at risk of doing it nad he's more vigilant about supporting me. Having a back up that isn't my OH is safer for me in case it's a situation with OH that is the trigger. I'd recommend trying to find someone that you trust enough to share it with.

missorgasm [sign in to see picture]

i cant really tell people i love about because they get upset and that triggers it agin, i also have ocd altho that doesnt bother me too much lol im very funny about routines and tapping plugs on the floor lol xx

missorgasm wrote:

i cant really tell people i love about because they get upset and that triggers it agin, i also have ocd altho that doesnt bother me too much lol im very funny about routines and tapping plugs on the floor lol xx

That's the same for me - it's knowing I'm hurting someone that causes the temptation so telling someone (and thus hurting them) would make it worse!

My OCD doesn't bother me at all now, but when I was a kid my hands were red raw from washing so it was an issue then.

Ax

I guess I'm just exceptionally lucky. Both my friend and my OH can support me without feeling hurt or upset about it. They both know it's linked to the abuse I suffered as a child and that it's not emotonally tied into them. They are both totally amazing strong people and I could never have taken the steps to recovery without them, They both gave me the strength I needed to start therapy and to go back to it after a break without seeing it as a failing. I am so grateful for having them in my life and I know that in my darkest days of the past, I would no longer be here without them.

Honeytongue wrote:

I guess I'm just exceptionally lucky. Both my friend and my OH can support me without feeling hurt or upset about it. They both know it's linked to the abuse I suffered as a child and that it's not emotonally tied into them. They are both totally amazing strong people and I could never have taken the steps to recovery without them, They both gave me the strength I needed to start therapy and to go back to it after a break without seeing it as a failing. I am so grateful for having them in my life and I know that in my darkest days of the past, I would no longer be here without them.

Lucky you! Sounds like you have fantastic support and a lot of strength yourself to make the most of it!

Ax

Thanks :-) I hope that others find the support that they need because they've already got the strength. Good support helps you to stay strong.

sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]

sweetlove666 wrote:

its been bearly a year since i halmed with an impliment, a sewing needle on the 21st june 2009,

I just realised i am now well past the year mark!

it may not seem like much but to me its monumental to how well i am doing and how hard i am trying to beat the SI and cope in less destricutive ways with my family situation

Little Lady [sign in to see picture]

I have some scars on my hips where I used to self harm when I was 10. Also stretch marks in the same places, which is annoying as it kind of makes me feel unsexy. =(

I used to have marks on my wrists and hands from the same thing but I no longer have those as they were just scratches and faded away. =)

suze9 [sign in to see picture]

I have a scar on my little toe where a sixth one was surgically removed at a few months old as it had a bone.I have one on my hip which was a mole removal at about 6, it was huge but they stitched it up and as soon as they took them out it burst open so it has tracks all around it. Then I have the usual stretch marks from being pregnant twice and the intertwining scars from the two c-sectionsI had. I also have an uncountable number of scars from my younger years due to my two left feet says my mum and some chicken pox scars.

Muz333 [sign in to see picture]

I have a barely visible scar now covering my entire right shin and more on my right arm from being younger when I got myself caught on fire as we were mucking about with a bonfire on the beach. It resulted in a serious celluitis infection that spread across my entire right leg and a bit onto the left leg causing me too miss Christmas and Christmas Eve in 9 wells hospital on an antibiotic drip. I was then on about 12 pills a day for over a month and not allowed to move about to stop the infections spreading back out. It was a very nerdy month for me. :)

Doug [sign in to see picture]

i have a nice scar on my hand were i managed to saw into it, and another one on the other hand where i tripped and fell over, stood up and a pice of wood was sticking out. Oh and have one on my bum where when i was little i sat on a stanly knife

yh, i clearly have a loving fam, apparently they didn't bother to take me to AandE

KittyPurry [sign in to see picture]

Last week I burned my inner wrist twice on the tumble dryer. It's made two lines on the same arm as all my self harm scars and looks annoyingly like relapse!

xxKPxx

Little Lady [sign in to see picture]

I cut the top of my finger with my shaver last night. That'll scar up nicely. >.<

oh and my thumbs are scared up nicely from having to use a knife in about minus 4 and slipping, also burnt from using a lighter and having no feeling in my fingers, burnt my fingers. Still it was burnt fingers or no food so i think it was a fair swap :)

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.