£1.79 Next Day delivery! Hurry ends in ...
  • Wait! We think you’re in the US - Lovehoney.com is a better site for you.
    Shop there and get 10% off!
    United States Flag
    Go to Lovehoney.com
  1. Beautiful Scars: What's your story?

sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]

i was born with a blockage in my left kidney, it went but not before the kidney tissue swelled up, and like a bloon it never goes back into shape. it meant i was intolerant to sugar and spent most of my childhood being sick and weak. when i changed GP's they spotted it straight away and i had a pyeloplasty to remove the swollen kidney tissue and sort out the eurterer. it was quite a serious operation ( 25% mortality rate) but it worked fairly well, though i have a scar on my left side in my middle thats about 7 inches long. its faded a lot in the 10 years since, so if you didnt know it was there you wouldnt see it.

i also self harmed when i was younger, withought going into detail i struggled a lot im my teens, and i have always done things like biting the back of my hand in frustration from being about 3 or so. the main ones are on my arms and are fading a lot. though there is a large burn scar that i dont think will ever become invisible. but that's what life is all about

Puppies77 [sign in to see picture]

Thats an impressive support network you have around you AA. I only really use my gp. I have had bad experiences with physiatrists. Councilers have been good though and ive just started seeing a new one last week.

Tigerlilies [sign in to see picture]

Wow these are overwhelming responses. Despite the inside hurt taking longer to heal it's to good hear people are getting there.

I'm getting through a lot of BioOil at the moment and it's fading mine beautifully.

Can't wait to hear the list from you SexyGet.

x

OperationFilth [sign in to see picture]

Oh, and I dont have a BCG scar. My needle phobia kicked in for that one, and never did get it.

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

My OH has a cute scar on his head. Just a small one, but the hair wont grow on it. He shaves his head, so its kinda noticable when the hair grow through. I kinda like it. Its subtle and war-like. He got it when he was in a fight in a bar and someone threw a dart in his head. Ouchie.

I have a little bald patch on my head where I had my blood pressure checked as a baby - I'm not entirely sure what they do but they drill something into your head to do it. So I have a little scar there, you can't see it though, my long hair covers it!

Ax

Kitty_McPlunder [sign in to see picture]

^^ My OH has a scar right in the middle of his forhead which makes it look like he goes around nutting people! - infact its from where he fell over as a child and fractured his skull!

Its good for pretending he's a badass though! ;)

SEXYGET 69 [sign in to see picture]

I've got a very faint scar now on my forehead where I came off a trial bike as a kid, no helmet tut tut! I was hit in the face with a cricket bat by some shithouse as a teenager which tore my cheek open, ended up having stitches, that's healed well too. Someone *tried* to stab me a good few years ago now but I grabbed the blade with my hand and there's a rather good scar there! I was shot with an air rifle in the thigh once, that's not too bad now though. (tough area where I live!) I was involved in a bike crash again on Queens Drive (WandA will know that possibly) and. . . Wait for it. . . Shattered a testicle and it really really fucking hurt! I got up from that though and limped away so got a nice scar on my ball sack from that one! Got loads of little scars on my head, shins, hands and arms from weapons training in martial arts. Also had one tooth knocked out whilst kickboxing in Manchester, I got disqualified that day! Oopsies :-) Workwise Only one serious-ish accident when my head/hair went on fire. Face was okay but hair got burnt off and scalp was bad and once my scalp had healed I've shaved my head ever since! SG x

Jonno [sign in to see picture]

I have loads, the ones that are in my profile picture were done in a night club by a mate!

Shattered testicle....??

SG you get the OA purple heart for squirmy pain.

SEXYGET 69 [sign in to see picture]

Tigerlilies wrote:

Shattered testicle....??

I certainly had a purple bollock that day Tiger! Lol

I can laugh about it now of course. My mate had his testicle *kicked off* in a Kung Fu tournament, bad times and before anyone asks. . . .everyone I know does not have one testicle! Lol

SG x

SEXYGET 69 wrote:

Tigerlilies wrote:

Shattered testicle....??

I certainly had a purple bollock that day Tiger! Lol

I can laugh about it now of course. My mate had his testicle *kicked off* in a Kung Fu tournament, bad times and before anyone asks. . . .everyone I know does not have one testicle! Lol

SG x

Please, please, please start the best novelty band ever.

Ladies and gentleman, give it up for: UNIBALLL!!!!

diamonds [sign in to see picture]

i only have one scar and thats from when i had my TB injection :-/ i swear the bloody women just threw it in to my arm like a dart!

but at some point this year i shall be getting another one or five as im waiting to have an op :-/ dont know how many scars im going to have as it depends if they can do it by key hole or not. if its key hole it can be up to 5 cuts if its the other way then its gonna be just one huge one. :| not really looking forward to it as im scared of hospitals and have a fear of going under and still being awake but not be able to tell anyone. also scared i might die on the table so all in all not looking forward to it one bit :-|

Dxx

diamonds wrote:

i only have one scar and thats from when i had my TB injection :-/ i swear the bloody women just threw it in to my arm like a dart!

but at some point this year i shall be getting another one or five as im waiting to have an op :-/ dont know how many scars im going to have as it depends if they can do it by key hole or not. if its key hole it can be up to 5 cuts if its the other way then its gonna be just one huge one. :| not really looking forward to it as im scared of hospitals and have a fear of going under and still being awake but not be able to tell anyone. also scared i might die on the table so all in all not looking forward to it one bit :-|

Dxx

Hey Diamonds, good luck with the op. I had exactly the same fears as you before my surgery because I had never done anything like it before. You'll be absolutely fine. Anaesthesia teams are amazing and they know every patient has these fears but telling them so is always good. They have excellent ways of calming you and extra goodies like a pre-med to make you feel floaty and lovely before you get the good stuff that you won't even register falling asleep to. Ask your medical gang about pre-meds and they'll be more than happy to administer one.

I'm not a hospital fan either but with surgery you should be getting very qualified people to care for you and the nurses you'll encounter in post-op will become your angels. Great things to take with you are iPods, blankets, bright coloured pyjamas and dressing gowns. Anything that helps you create your own world in hospital. Nice body creams and tasty treats are little luxuries too.

You're anaesthesia will be fine and anesthesiologists are happy to answer any questions and tell you how in depth the whole process is to make sure the dosage is right for you. You're surgical team are in the room because they are highly skilled professionals who's highest priority is your well being. You couldn't be in safer hands.

My best advice to anyone have surgery is don't be afraid to be a nuisance! Don't macho through pain or think something's to much to ask for. Doctor's and nurses are there to help you and the more comfortable and happy you are the easier there job is too.

Wishing you well x

Tigerlilies wrote:

diamonds wrote:

Dxx

Hey Diamonds, good luck with the op. I had exactly the same fears as you before my surgery because I had never done anything like it before. You'll be absolutely fine. Anaesthesia teams are amazing and they know every patient has these fears but telling them so is always good. They have excellent ways of calming you and extra goodies like a pre-med to make you feel floaty and lovely before you get the good stuff that you won't even register falling asleep to. Ask your medical gang about pre-meds and they'll be more than happy to administer one.

I'm not a hospital fan either but with surgery you should be getting very qualified people to care for you and the nurses you'll encounter in post-op will become your angels. Great things to take with you are iPods, blankets, bright coloured pyjamas and dressing gowns. Anything that helps you create your own world in hospital. Nice body creams and tasty treats are little luxuries too.

You're anaesthesia will be fine and anesthesiologists are happy to answer any questions and tell you how in depth the whole process is to make sure the dosage is right for you. You're surgical team are in the room because they are highly skilled professionals who's highest priority is your well being. You couldn't be in safer hands.

My best advice to anyone have surgery is don't be afraid to be a nuisance! Don't macho through pain or think something's to much to ask for. Doctor's and nurses are there to help you and the more comfortable and happy you are the easier there job is too.

Wishing you well x

aww thank you hun :-)

im such a wimp and the only time ive had to stay in hospital was when i was born so this is all quite a big deal and scary for me, esp with the fact im scared of everything to do with hospital and ops and that im slightly OCD bout germs lol. its going to be an intreasting time as im gonna be in there for a min of 7 days :-/ no doubt i be the only 22/23 year old who makes there mum stay with them all the time lol.

the bloke whos doing my op is the top guy in his field apperantly and his a privet surgeon to aswell i've been told but he was dead scary when i saw him, sort of like he saw me as a body and not a person :-|

but i was ill in december and had to go to the hospital, i be having the op in as it was a weekend and the docs was shut and all the staff and nurses were lovely and so helpful so it put my mind at rest a bit, and luckly i didnt have to stay in.

i think there have to pump me full of drugs to calm me down as i know im just gonna be a competle reck.

Dxx

diamonds wrote:

im such a wimp and the only time ive had to stay in hospital was when i was born so this is all quite a big deal and scary for me, esp with the fact im scared of everything to do with hospital and ops and that im slightly OCD bout germs lol. its going to be an intreasting time as im gonna be in there for a min of 7 days :-/ no doubt i be the only 22/23 year old who makes there mum stay with them all the time lol.

the bloke whos doing my op is the top guy in his field apperantly and his a privet surgeon to aswell i've been told but he was dead scary when i saw him, sort of like he saw me as a body and not a person :-|

but i was ill in december and had to go to the hospital, i be having the op in as it was a weekend and the docs was shut and all the staff and nurses were lovely and so helpful so it put my mind at rest a bit, and luckly i didnt have to stay in.

i think there have to pump me full of drugs to calm me down as i know im just gonna be a competle reck.

Dxx

You are NOT a whimp this is a very big deal and your famiy will belong to a small group of people who will appreciate how big it is for you and how much recovery involves. I'm 22 and stayed in hospital for 10 days after my spinal fusion. My mum stayed with me all day and sometimes stayed the night. When she couldn't get in my Aunt and Uncle came in instead. You will get increibly close your family at this time and they're the best people to have around. It's also great to talk to people on morphine.

Glad to hear you're private and you have a top surgeon (although NHS surgery is still fantastic) I had the same scenario with the good fortune of staying in a private hospital where the infection rates are insanely lower compared to your standard hospital. Also you get a lot more attention and care. The surgeon I had was the world's best Daddy of all spinal surgeries having co-designed the hardware that went inside me. Your surgeon will be an amazing person. They are so pasisonate about they're work and getting outstanding results from what they do is what pumps them up. They also can answer any question in the world. Even the weird ones. I've been known to tell my surgeon the vaguest details about a funny feeling in my arm or a pain in my stomach and he could give me the complete medical guide to what I was experiencing without batting an eyelid. They're wizards.

Also booking beauty treatments before you go in will make you feel more glamorous when you need a bit of assistance with stuff in the initial recovery.

I spent a looong time showering with two other people. Usually my idea of a good night out but this time around it was an important part of letting myself be dependant on people.

Tigerlilies wrote:

diamonds wrote:

Dxx

You are NOT a whimp this is a very big deal and your famiy will belong to a small group of people who will appreciate how big it is for you and how much recovery involves. I'm 22 and stayed in hospital for 10 days after my spinal fusion. My mum stayed with me all day and sometimes stayed the night. When she couldn't get in my Aunt and Uncle came in instead. You will get increibly close your family at this time and they're the best people to have around. It's also great to talk to people on morphine.

Glad to hear you're private and you have a top surgeon (although NHS surgery is still fantastic) I had the same scenario with the good fortune of staying in a private hospital where the infection rates are insanely lower compared to your standard hospital. Also you get a lot more attention and care. The surgeon I had was the world's best Daddy of all spinal surgeries having co-designed the hardware that went inside me. Your surgeon will be an amazing person. They are so pasisonate about they're work and getting outstanding results from what they do is what pumps them up. They also can answer any question in the world. Even the weird ones. I've been known to tell my surgeon the vaguest details about a funny feeling in my arm or a pain in my stomach and he could give me the complete medical guide to what I was experiencing without batting an eyelid. They're wizards.

oops, im not going privet, im on the nhs i meant ive been told he works for both the nhs and does privet as well.

as im on the nhs im on the waiting list which i was told is bout a year long and ive been on it now for about 4 months, i think this is half my problems cos im always worrying/wondering when am i gonna be getting the letter. but then again on the other hand it give me longer to get used to the idea.

Dxx

Damn waiting lists are the worst part of it. But if you're surgeon does both areas he'll be fab.

NHS hopsitals are just as excellent, just don't be afraid to ask people if they've used the alcohol pump before they visit.

Tigerlilies wrote:

Damn waiting lists are the worst part of it. But if you're surgeon does both areas he'll be fab.

NHS hopsitals are just as excellent, just don't be afraid to ask people if they've used the alcohol pump before they visit.

thank you, youve been a real help and a wealth of information :-)

Dxx

No worries. This is a big journey and anyone who's been there will never belittle that. Nurses know how to comfort 200 pound men crying at needles so they'll be amazing at looking after you're worries.

x

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.