• Beautiful Scars: What's your story?

Kitty_McPlunder [sign in to see picture]

Ah well thats ok then. Oh and glasses are hella sexy. ;)

sexy little minx [sign in to see picture]

Tigerlillies, AdnaW, I used to really hate my stretch marks but now I'm proud of them. It doesn't do any good thinking negative things so now I try to turn every negative into a positive. It does wonders for your confidence, something that was severly scarred but is healing nicely now. I think the emotional scars that no one can see are the hardest to heal. x

Ilovemyman [sign in to see picture]

I've got a small scar above my top lip on the left, my tooth went through my lip when i was 6 and i too have stretch marks from having 2 kids, they have faded now as my youngest is 6 but i love them, my OH was never botherd by them either. xxx

Gyrator53 [sign in to see picture]

I was no oil-painting before, but burying my face into the bonnet of a car at 30 mph and then linishing it down 10 yards of tarmac finished the job off nicely. A polite description would be a "lived-in" face - "lived-on" would be more accurate.

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

I was a self harmer too. But I wouldn't say that your way was very different to anybody elses way. I did the same, and have met a lot of people who have the same feeling as you described, by prefering blunter object etc..

I dont want to into much debate about self harm regarding other people, as I feel its not my place..

Interesting - I guess you hear of a lot of people doing it for the "bleeding" so I'd always thought my way was odd. Learn something new everyday.

Congratulations on deciding to never harm again, sorry about they way you came to the decision though but at least you got through it without doing too much permanent damage. Not much I can say, but you already know I admire your strength *hugs*

I've just thought of another scar - not really a scar but the skin is slightly different on my left lip. I have a lot of pain during sex and my gynae decided to do a biopsy. I only realised afterwards why the local anaesthetic didn't work properly and I felt her do it. She dabbed this chemical on to find the "abnormal" skin, the injected local anaesthetic and placed some clippers on the bit she was going to cut, said "can you feel that" and when I said yes she said "ok I'll do it quickly then"! It was very sore afterwards for about a week but I still went to work as a waitress that night. The skin isn't scarred, but the skin in that area has been kind of dry since and I'm not sure if it looks a little different, I'll get WandA to check tonight. Unfortunately I still have the pain during sex.

Ax

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

I guess lots of people do it for the 'bleeding' but its not just the sight of blood. The bleeding is to get the tension out of your body. A lot of people find self harming a way to relieve the anger and tension about themselves and the bleeding kinda makes them feel better because its getting the bad stuff out. It sounds a bit daft, but its often true for a lot of people. Pain itself is another factor of tension release. Pain increases you awareness to the things around you. When depression kicks in you can feel 'numb' to everything, and the pain can be used as a way to keep in touch with reality.

I've been through enough doctors to know a fair amount about the psychology of depression and self harm etc.

That sounds horrible that you had to go through that though AW! Spesh since it didn't work in the end!

Fascinating, really find it amazing how people deal differently with different challenges.

It wasn't fun - it was the botox injections that I had as an attempted (and failed) treatment that were the worst! Botox injections into muscle are the most painful injections I have ever had and I'm a bit perverted in that I usually quite like needles!

Ax

WandA [sign in to see picture]

AdnaW wrote:

Fascinating, really find it amazing how people deal differently with different challenges.

It wasn't fun - it was the botox injections that I had as an attempted (and failed) treatment that were the worst! Botox injections into muscle are the most painful injections I have ever had and I'm a bit perverted in that I usually quite like needles!

Ax

Reminds me! Wed haven't used our new pin wheel yet!

Speaking of needles - how many of us have TB jab scars? I have one - see loads of people with them!

Ax

PPB [sign in to see picture]

Ive just had major surgery on my right leg after a horrific accident, under my cast, i have 2 rather large scars on each side of my lower leg, the longest about 8 inches long. I am really nervous as to how my boyfriend will react to these scars when he can finally see them. He has seen post surgery pictures and survived that. i used to be on here all the time until shortly before my accident, lost my sex drive until fairly recently so i felt unable to post

PPB

x

mimiaow [sign in to see picture]

Wow, I didn't think that this thread would have such an effect - thanks Tigerlilies for posting this! Hearing your stories and explanations is fascinating (I'm not going to pry though), and kind of a relief to hear too. I covered up an awful lot when I was younger, so my scars and the such wouldn't show. I have a lot, and many of them are self inflicted. But for the past few years I've changed as a person and, as I don't dislike the marks in the slightest (just some of the attached experiences - Avrielle_Aniko, one of your memories really stood out), I feel that I shouldn't have to hide them. But this doesn't stop people from asking about the more unusual ones, and even some of my close friends don't realise that it's something that I'm not comfortable explaining in a sentence, will still question it. I assume that people will have preconceived ideas about self-harming, and nothing is worse than people telling you 'I know what that must feel like' or the ultimate 'yeah, I understand', when they get the idea that you might not be sharing the whole truth. In my opinion, the reasons behind each individual reminder can never be completely the same. Knowing that people such as yourselves can talk about it though, is pretty inspiring, so thanks to you all.

sexy little minx - your eye story sounds amazingly painful - can you remember that at all?!

Puppies77 [sign in to see picture]

My oldest scar is as old as i am. Its on the back/outerside of my right knee. I was born by c section and while the surgeon was cutting his way in I stuck my leg in the way. I needed a stitch and by the time my mother came round she thought it was a spider and freaked out lol. I love this scar, it looks like a devil fork :D

I have lots of tiny little scars from our many cats we had as kids.

I also have stretch marks from my four children on my tummy and top of my thighs, was confused bout the thighs but apparently its cos of fat stores for breast feeding.

Some of my oldest and recent scars are from self harming. They are on the inside of my left forearm. The oldest are 10yrs old but unfortunatly i do have some from recent weeks, Been a tough year and im not proud but im seeing a counciler again and will get through.

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

I guess lots of people do it for the 'bleeding' but its not just the sight of blood. The bleeding is to get the tension out of your body. A lot of people find self harming a way to relieve the anger and tension about themselves and the bleeding kinda makes them feel better because its getting the bad stuff out. It sounds a bit daft, but its often true for a lot of people. Pain itself is another factor of tension release. Pain increases you awareness to the things around you. When depression kicks in you can feel 'numb' to everything, and the pain can be used as a way to keep in touch with reality.

Its strange to hear other ppl describe it as ive never spoke to anyone who has done it themselfs.

I don't often feel the pain when I do it and I like to watch the blood, I find it a release.

I don't promote self harming and would strongly suggest talking to your GP if you feel the urge. Having suffered with depression since i was 17, I normally recognise the signs, hence not doing it for 10yrs but unfortunatly the depression caught me off guard this time.

(I really hope that this third time, this message will post itself!)

Puppies77 - I'm so sorry to hear that you have not been having a positive time recently and, although there's not much that I can say here without sounding stupid (and it surely wouldn't be able to help you), I sincerely wish you the best of luck getting through this time. If you can recognise that things are not right, that is brilliant, and I hope that you can work things out as soon as possible.

mimiaow wrote:

(I really hope that this third time, this message will post itself!)

Puppies77 - I'm so sorry to hear that you have not been having a positive time recently and, although there's not much that I can say here without sounding stupid (and it surely wouldn't be able to help you), I sincerely wish you the best of luck getting through this time. If you can recognise that things are not right, that is brilliant, and I hope that you can work things out as soon as possible.

3rd time? perhaps its not just me having problems then. My screen keeps going blank when I post :S

Thank you for your kind words. It hasn't been an easy time but i know within a few weeks I will be back to my normal happy self. I only really said what i was going through so that hopefully others will realise its not something to hide and that there is help out there for ppl should they need it. I hid mine for years but now know its nothing to be ashamed of. Im sometime embarrased but mainly for the other person who askes what the scars are, can be a conversation stopper lol

Puppies77 wrote:

3rd time? perhaps its not just me having problems then. My screen keeps going blank when I post :S

Thank you for your kind words. It hasn't been an easy time but i know within a few weeks I will be back to my normal happy self. I only really said what i was going through so that hopefully others will realise its not something to hide and that there is help out there for ppl should they need it. I hid mine for years but now know its nothing to be ashamed of. Im sometime embarrased but mainly for the other person who askes what the scars are, can be a conversation stopper lol

Yeah, that whole blank screen thing was happening to me too! Perhaps the LH board gremlins are up to their old tricks...

That's no problem. If you're anything like me, even when a touch of minor depression strikes, it can feel like there is literally no-one out there who can even recognise that you're there, let alone struggling alone.

And yes, conversation stopper they can be! Especially when somethings are in the past, and may not be a big deal any more. But polite people (even super close friends) feel like they're prying. Some things are actually healthier to get out in the open!

mimiaow wrote:

Puppies77 wrote:

Yeah, that whole blank screen thing was happening to me too! Perhaps the LH board gremlins are up to their old tricks...

That's no problem. If you're anything like me, even when a touch of minor depression strikes, it can feel like there is literally no-one out there who can even recognise that you're there, let alone struggling alone.

And yes, conversation stopper they can be! Especially when somethings are in the past, and may not be a big deal any more. But polite people (even super close friends) feel like they're prying. Some things are actually healthier to get out in the open!

Yeah I do feel like that and even though I have a really supportive husband I sometimes still feel alone. Hey ho :)

sexy little minx [sign in to see picture]

Mimiaow I think I am quite lucky that I don't remember it at all. I still have the fork though that I had the accident with. It was my Grandpa's fork, a specially made fork for him that he used after he had a stoke, 3 prongs with a knife on one side with a wooden handle. After my Grampa passed away I kept the fork, might sound weird to some people but it was what I wanted, my special reminder of him. I do love freaking people out by telling them my story then use the offending weapon to eat with! Yes I'm gross but the look on peoples faces is priceless!

On a more serios note, I take my hat off to everyone on here about being so open about their self harming, it can't be an easy thing to talk about. Having suffering from depression myself on and off since I was 18 I can understand. I have lots of little scars on my legs that I don't feel comforable taking about (hence not mentioning them before). During one of the worst bouts of depression I developed a form of OCD where I constanty pulled the hairs on my legs out with tweezers, if the hairs weren't long enough I would hack into my skin with pins so I could get to them. I didn't realize that it was a mixture of OCD and self harming. It might not be as serious as some of the self harming others have spoken about but I can relate. It's something that I do try my hardest not to do but once I start I find it very hard to stop. That is how I get my release.

Puppies stay strong. x

SEXYGET 69 [sign in to see picture]

Ooo about to get in the bath here so i'll come back to this later. I've got a few to say the least. . . . SG x

Kitty_McPlunder [sign in to see picture]

Fascinating thread - Thankyou Tigerlilies!

sexycornishcouple [sign in to see picture]

have many scare from the heart surgery I’ve had since I was born. I have the big one down my chest, some people that have this scar call it a ‘’Zip’’. I never referred to it as this because it conjours thoughts of being able to un-zip my chest. Not nice. Saying that I am not afraid to hide it and nearly always wear a low cut top. I would freak out if I looked in the mirror one day and it was gone. I have long ones on each side of my body that reaches from my shoulder blades round to the edge of my bests. I have small round ones that have almost faded to nothing on my lower neck and forearm, and a few others from where drain tubes have been. All in all I’m a bit of a patch work quilt hehe. I see them as my version of tattoos. They have all caused pain hurt and upset but without them I wouldn’t be here. They each tell their own story. I’ve never felt conscious of them when I get naked. I love my body and love sex. My boyfriend has never made a big deal about them. Some people say they never notice, but when I catch someone looking at my chest I always think they are looking at the scare and never my cleavage. I enjoy the fact that my body has these secret war wounds that only the very few know are there or have seen.

Vixen82 [sign in to see picture]

Since I'm pretty accident prone, I have loads of scars. The biggest is from where I broke my ankle and needed a plate with 8 screws (I did this jumping a stream!) and the little knobbly bit on the inside of the ankle got broke off so that has a scar over the top from another 2 screws). I used to be self conscious about these, but now I'm fine and don't worry about them.

I have a 5" scar over just above my lady hair line from an ovarian cyst - it's slightly curved and is centred to my body. My boyfriend from the time made me feel really good about it - he said that my body was always smiling and when naked I have a big smiley face (boobs=eye, belly button = nose and then the smile).

I have several other scars though cooking burns, playing field hockey without shin pads and way too many too list.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.