• BDSM - Play Time

Senator [sign in to see picture]

Realising that the logical answers are "it depends" or "how long is a piece of string", but those aside, are there any safety concerns for extended BDSM play.

Both Mrs Sen and I took the day off work yesterday so that we could have the house to ourselves and explore some BDSM play without fear of interruption (except the damned cat who cried outside the door just as Mrs was about to have her first orgasm of the day!). Aside from a starter session last week when the kids were at sport (under an hour) this was pretty much our first real time "playing" (I don't mean any disrespect if thats not the right word).

We were at it pretty much when the kids left the house for school (8.30ish) and I spent probably a good 60-90 minutes exploring play (flogger, feather tickler and a wooden spoon) mixing it up with some vibe, oral and anal play turning her over at some point (used the under mattress restraints) to continue the session.

Turnabout being fair play, after a coffee break we were then at it again, only this time I was the receiver through until lunch. Much the same action, hands, feather, flogger, some anal play etc.

A couple of hours off whilst she was out with friends for lunch, then back for mostly PIV sex until the kids were home (a little play with satin ties and the flogger / spoon / feather).

Needless to say we were both quite tired last night and today Mrs Sen commented about muscle fatigue / soreness (although no bruising etc).

Is a few hours considered excessive?

I assume our bodies adapt to the increased physical requirements of BDSM (we are both fit enough in general)?

We have become much (much much) better at communicating about our sexual wants / needs / desires and I am sure we will talk about this more (she already said a waterbottle to keep hydrated) but I'm just looking for others experiences I guess.

Cheers

Sen

PrincessSparkle [sign in to see picture]

As you said, how long is a piece of string :P

There are no real safety concerns with light BDSM. Obviously don't be a dick- no random objects in orifices, deal with broken skin appropriately to avoid infection...
    The main concern is safety when restraining- don't cut off circulation, and be willing and able to release easily if cramp or pain happens.
    Just know your limits!

But yeah, a day if play is physically and mentally exhausting, and you will feel it. Its not a danger, its just...tiring :P
    Your fitness will play some part, but even the fittest person will feel it after.

As for excessive, there is literally no such thing until it has a negative impact on your day to day life. Go for however much is enough for you and your partner.

Dangers with BDSM come with more extreme practices. Anything involving fluid mixing, broken skin, choking, suspension, more serious shibari etc. But as long as you look up and learn your shit before you try anything, and play sensibly and communicate openly, you will be fine!

kelly_michelle [sign in to see picture]

From a physical point of view, you need to look at it in the same way you would a long session in the gym. You may become tired and that will increase the risk of injuries. Also, sustained impact or scratching can cause damage to the skin, potentially marking for longer or drawing blood. As well we over sensitivity which could make it harder to go on.

However, I would focus on your mood and emotions after a long play sessions. BDSM play often releases endorphins and other hormones which will fade from the body and can leave both parties feeling low or even irritable. This is called drop and may be something be you should look into. I will stress, not everyone drops and not everyone who does drop drops every time.

Making time for aftercare is important. Having even just 10 minutes to sit, chill, drink, eat, cuddle, chat, sit in silence, whatever, after you have finished playing is a good thing. Jumping straight back into "normal life" after lots of kinky play can take its toll mentally.

Other than that, keep communicating and have fun

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.