£4.50 Next Day delivery! Hurry ends in ...
  1. V Magazine uses REAL plus size models for their spread

Tigerlilies [sign in to see picture]

Up on their website is a seven page article featuring models much curvier than the supposed plus size revolution Vogue announces when they put a size 10 on the cover.

http://www.vmagazine.com/article.php?n=14446

Naturally they're as airbrushed and fake as the usual standard but I thought it might make someone smile.

Personally as a size 8 I find these women beautifully exotic and don't understand why some thin girls find it threatening when they see a larger woman dubbed to be appealing. Interesting psychology there.

Either way it's easier on the eye than this bit of photoshop fail from Ralph Lauren

http://www.drsharma.ca/wp-content/uploads/ralph-lauren-ad.jpg

x

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

Tigerlilies wrote:

Up on their website is a seven page article featuring models much curvier than the supposed plus size revolution Vogue announces when they put a size 10 on the cover.

Naturally they're as airbrushed and fake as the usual standard but I thought it might make someone smile.

Personally as a size 8 I find these women beautifully exotic and don't understand why some thin girls find it threatening when they see a larger woman dubbed to be appealing. Interesting psychology there.

Either way it's easier on the eye than this bit of photoshop fail from Ralph Lauren

x

I think it's great when mags promote ALL sizes - one or the other is wrong (like mags adding on a "tips for size 20" and getting rid of "tips for size 8" there is nothing wrong with being a size 8 and I wish magazines would stop telling me there is!). I'm not threatened by a larger lady but I am very offended when people rant on about how awful "skinny" women are - having been skinny (about 7 and a half stone at 5ft5) I think it's just as offensive as calling someone "fat". Some people don't choose to be slim.

Anyway - don't get me started on size debates and magazines haha it's a rant of mine that we all try to avoid hehehe :P

There are a few threads knocking around somewhere as Columbus said.

I agree columbus - plus size products should be modelled by plus size models and products that do a wide variation should get a few models to show it on different sizes.

Axx

AdnaW wrote:

Tigerlilies wrote:

x

I think it's great when mags promote ALL sizes - one or the other is wrong (like mags adding on a "tips for size 20" and getting rid of "tips for size 8" there is nothing wrong with being a size 8 and I wish magazines would stop telling me there is!). I'm not threatened by a larger lady but I am very offended when people rant on about how awful "skinny" women are - having been skinny (about 7 and a half stone at 5ft5) I think it's just as offensive as calling someone "fat". Some people don't choose to be slim.

Anyway - don't get me started on size debates and magazines haha it's a rant of mine that we all try to avoid hehehe :P

There are a few threads knocking around somewhere as Columbus said.

I agree columbus - plus size products should be modelled by plus size models and products that do a wide variation should get a few models to show it on different sizes.

Axx

Well said AdnaW. I do get frustrated when the trend swings to the complete other end instead of settling for a happy middle. It's all very well saying real women have curves but there are some healthy and sexy women out there with an A cup and there's nowt wrong with that.

I'm always concerned when the faces on models of larger sizes seems to embody the 'head transplant' look and appear as if they've been shopped to look like a size 8 girls face on a size 16 body.

Columbus [sign in to see picture]

Oh really? I'll take it as a compliment :-) We are wise women with fabulous taste in shoes ;-)

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Why have I been mistaken for Columbus twice in the past week??

Hmmmm....

Oooohhh sorry sweet :( I think it's the shoe picture thing! And the wandering away from the thread halfway through writing my post then coming back to it - slapped hands for not rechecking :(

Sorry lovely <3

Tigerlilies wrote:

Well said AdnaW. I do get frustrated when the trend swings to the complete other end instead of settling for a happy middle. It's all very well saying real women have curves but there are some healthy and sexy women out there with an A cup and there's nowt wrong with that.

I'm always concerned when the faces on models of larger sizes seems to embody the 'head transplant' look and appear as if they've been shopped to look like a size 8 girls face on a size 16 body.

Yes that's another pet hate - surely it's more offensive to the larger lady when magazines mess about with the images so the models look out of proportion? It's like they're saying "we think your fab - just not enough" grrrr. A curvy girl can be JUST as sexy as a slender girl and vice versa! Magazines have such a lot to answer for in terms of confidence for people - why can't we all just accept that people vary and that's one of the most amazing things about nature!

Ax

Puppies77 [sign in to see picture]

They look great :)

SnowyOwl [sign in to see picture]

Mmm, have started a new wishlist

This is a great article written on the plus size catch 22

http://contexts.org/socimages/2010/01/26/contradictions-in-the-depiction-of-plus-size-model-crystal-renn/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SociologicalImagesSeeingIsBelieving+%28Sociological+Images%3A+Seeing+Is+Believing%29

It also covers the absurdity of 'nude' coloured fabrics.

The unused and unretouched picture she mentions is especially interesting

http://oneswayingbeing.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/unretouched.jpg

Oh and we all know the world would spin off its axis if we caught a glimpse of Kim Kim kardashian with the slightest ripple/

http://beehivehairdresser.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/kim-kardashian-cellulite.jpg

Whoops sorry the url's are clickety on those last two posts.

Amazing ey! Even slender girls have cellulite (ok not me but I'm lucky and abnormal - very little fat, it's all muscle on me due to my joint condition) and EVERYONE has little "imperfections" - freckles, skin discolouring, birthmarks, old scars, stretch marks....I love 'em - love things that make people look a little different! My fella has a big mole just above his lip - it's yummy, and his bum has lots of stretch marks which I love. I used to know a person with a big scar on their lip too that took away some of the colouring - I couldn't help but love that scar!

I wish magazines realised that imperfections are what make people perfect!

Ax

AdnaW wrote:

My fella has a big mole just above his lip - it's yummy,

Ooh like Turk in Scrubs!

I love a hairdresser of mine for a very deliciate strawberry birth mark covering his right eye.

Gyrator53 [sign in to see picture]

Well, I find the female form to be fantastic in all its variations - what you see in us blokes is beyond me :-)

Anyway, at the risk of sounding like Professor Peach in the Italian Job, I have to say that I do find larger women especially attractive and I suspect I'm far from unusual in that.

So ladies, feel free to give weight-watchers a miss, be confident in your beauty, and flaunt what you've got.

LOL I'm doing WW at the minute - but I'd rather get down to a curvy size 14 and be at less risk of a heart attack or whatever than remain at my current size 18! I was a size 22 a couple of years ago and I lost nearly 4st doing WW and was a size 16 but then I've gone abit MIA and put a significant amount of it back on again *sigh* So, i'm back on the wagon! I feel better mentally and physically when I've lost some but the slimmest I've ever been is a size 14 so if I can get to that again then I'll be happy :-) AdnaW has an amazing figure though! xx

Fantastic progress, Cloumbus, congratulations.

Can I spend a day in your shoe closet?

lol - that's about as good as it gets! I do have quite a lot of shoes actually but I'm normally found in my cowboy boots at the minute. I did get some lovely satin, peek toe heels in the sales recently though, but it's a job to walk in them! At least these black, patent ones have straps to keep them slipping off!

lol - that's about as good as it gets! I do have quite a lot of shoes actually but I'm normally found in my cowboy boots at the minute. I did get some lovely satin, peek toe heels in the sales recently though, but it's a job to walk in them! At least these black, patent ones have straps to keep them slipping off!

SEXYGET 69 [sign in to see picture]

Do you know what? When I speak to anyone Men or Women I do not see weight, height, skin colour, disability or anything like that. We are all human beings each and every one different in their own little way. I don't read magazines (except New Scientist and Fire monthly cos they get sent to me in work!) or watch telly (except Hairy Bikers!) because I can't stand all the bullshit that is thrown at joe public regarding how we should look. It's all bollocks!

They should just leave people to be who they wanna be and pissoff!

Big women, little women, all women, you are beautiful!

SG69 x

SnowyOwl [sign in to see picture]

Aww, thank you so much SG! What a real gent you are & a credit to your sex to see beyond the physical..

My OH reckons the same & I am very thankful indeed!!

A (((hug))) on behalf of all us relieved ladies :)

Thread closed

This thread is closed, so no new messages can be posted.