• Do compliments to your OH make you threatened/jealous ?

mysteron [sign in to see picture]

Really a spin off from Terry JJs excellent thread " How do you take a compliment ? "

Just curious here as my OH does get jealous,insecure and threatened sometimes when I do get compliments when going out. This is despite us being married 21 years this April and been out together for 27 years in total

I have raised this question with my sister in law because my brother is obviously similar looking and he does get compliments like myself except she like me just laughs them off .My sister in law like me doesn't understand this jealousy "thing" as she knows she will be the one going home with my brother and for me with my Mrs. I know my Mrs does get admiring looks when we go out but just pretends she doesn't see them ! How convenient ! lol

So just curious to see were you guys stand on this issue when your OH recieves a compliment .

NatandTom [sign in to see picture]

It depends on the type of compliment and the attitude/actions of the person giving it I suppose.

I wouldn't like it if some girl came up to him and started stroking his arm and batting her eyelashes whilst giving him a compliment, but I don't know if that would result in a feeling of jealousy. I'm more likely to feel irritated about it rather than threatened in that scenario!

NatandTom wrote:

It depends on the type of compliment and the attitude/actions of the person giving it I suppose.

I wouldn't like it if some girl came up to him and started stroking his arm and batting her eyelashes whilst giving him a compliment, but I don't know if that would result in a feeling of jealousy. I'm more likely to feel irritated about it rather than threatened in that scenario!

Well for me any form of touching is a No No as I see it as "crossing the line" .

This happened to me once in a busy pub wherewby a very attractive girl literally grabbed me around the waist becasue I wouldn't take her advances further . I didn't create a fuss but my Mrs saw the incident and marked her cards and "accidently " knocked her over with a drink later . That I didn't blame my Mrs for taking that action.

wildflower [sign in to see picture]

NatandTom wrote:

I'd feel exactly the same . I'd feel pretty annoyed more than jealous that another woman would chose to act like that knowing full well that he is married .....my hubby certainly wouldn't encourage it and I'd make sure she got the message !

If the compliment was given in a nice genuine way I think he'd be secretly rather pleased even if he didn't say so and I'd probably rib him a bit about it for a while but I wouldn't feel threatened . I like the thought that other women might find my husband attractive. We've been together for over 30 years and I can't say jealously has ever been an issue for us in that respect.

Mr&MrsA75 [sign in to see picture]

I'm quite proud of the fact that my husband is smokin' hot - I'm totally punching lol

I am generally cool with other ladies checking him out and flirting with him. I'm always winding him up and he does the same to me like 'she wants a bit of me' type jokes. This is mainly due to the fact that he is very straightforward in telling them he is married and uninterested if they try to chat him up. He is always polite but very clear :D If they continue however or touch him in any way he is considerably less polite.

There was one time (he didnt know I was there until afterwards) a woman in a bar was trying to sit on his knee and touch his arms telling him he was gorgeous, he told her to move away from him and she was having none of it so he stood and very loudly told her that he was not interested and that by continuing to claw at him she was embarrassing herself. He also pointed out that if it were the other way around and he was trying to grab her all over it would be a very different story. She soon slinked off. Hes always been that way so its been easy for me to not get so jelous. If he were less abrupt I guess other women trying it on would get my back up more. :)

Mr&MrsA75 wrote:

I'm quite proud of the fact that my husband is smokin' hot - I'm totally punching lol

I am generally cool with other ladies checking him out and flirting with him. I'm always winding him up and he does the same to me like 'she wants a bit of me' type jokes. This is mainly due to the fact that he is very straightforward in telling them he is married and uninterested if they try to chat him up. He is always polite but very clear :D If they continue however or touch him in any way he is considerably less polite.

There was one time (he didnt know I was there until afterwards) a woman in a bar was trying to sit on his knee and touch his arms telling him he was gorgeous, he told her to move away from him and she was having none of it so he stood and very loudly told her that he was not interested and that by continuing to claw at him she was embarrassing herself. He also pointed out that if it were the other way around and he was trying to grab her all over it would be a very different story. She soon slinked off. Hes always been that way so its been easy for me to not get so jelous. If he were less abrupt I guess other women trying it on would get my back up more. :)

Telling them I am married is something I do as well . I think its just good etiquette to do so . I agree with you I think some women tend to get away with murder in pubs. If your guy or myself touched another woman without consent the doormen would be all over us.

Eager-2-Please [sign in to see picture]

Not in the slightest. A compliment to my wife is, by extension, a compliment to me - I'm the one who she's married to after all.

If anything I'd get offended the other way around - if a guy told her/me they were unattracted/uninterested in her.

OhMyGlobAnna [sign in to see picture]

Yep! But it also makes me appreciate what I have as well :)

VioletWolf [sign in to see picture]

It depends what the intention behind the compliment is. When it's just somebody being genuinely nice, it makes me happy that it gives him a big head 😂 But I've had people complimenting him in a flirtatious way, knowing full well he has me, or even when I've been right there with him. That gets to me.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.