• Wait! We think you’re in the US - Lovehoney.com is a better site for you.
    Shop there and get 10% off!
    United States Flag
    Go to Lovehoney.com
  1. How do you take a compliment ?

[suspended user]

suspended user

Sexuality has zero impact on my feelings towards compliments, in the past I relished them tbh, so long as they were genuinely delivered and not something crude id feel flattered. Lately though whenever I'm complimented by hubby or others I'll deflect the compliment and feel uneasy due to a few confidence issues 💗 xx

collector [sign in to see picture]

Depends if there is desire or an intent behind the compliment. I work with a gay bloke who has complimented me on clothes that I have worn both in work (suit and tie) as well as when we have attended a social event (chinos, collared shirt and desert boots). But he is as happily married as I am and I take the compliment as intended.

Receiving a compliment from a stranger, male or female, is a little different. I guess that I am just a suspicious type of guy.

mysteron [sign in to see picture]

Ii also think receiving a compliment whether it be from another woman or guy is a confidence booster for the receiver.

However I do agree with Collector on the intent side of things. It's up to the receiver of the compliment on how they manage that and so far I have been successful in quashing any intent in a softly softly manner .At end of the day you don't want to damage the givers confidence ,well I don't anyway .

pink_lloyd [sign in to see picture]

Terri JJ wrote:

The same applies to men. What do straight men think of compliments/comments directed at your physique etc from bisexual or gay men ?

it happened no more than twice or three times to me but it's ok. to me it's just a compliment and doesn't make difference whoever is saying, men, women, gay men, straight men, bisexual men, lesbian... i take it the same way :)

Lilmisshottie [sign in to see picture]

Fab question Terri, I must admit a compliment from another person regardless of sex/sexual orientation makes me feel good, like many others my problem is believing they mean it and are not taking the mick!

I can also add that my OH is always complimented on his looks/body by my brothers boyfriend (alot) and although my oh is straight he does not take offence and says it gives him a little boost about himself so its all good lol

Lilmiss x

AlyBlue [sign in to see picture]

I'm bi and literally just compliment people in general if they look nice woman and man, bring a smile to people's faces and no one complaints. If they know you are bi I've seen suppose from women (from women) and men (from men) get a little uncomfortable socially but enjoy the compliment :). x

*sexybabe* [sign in to see picture]

I'm bi too but when I pay a compliment to a woman I generally don't mean it in a sexual way; I compliment friends, and strangers, just because if I think a nice thought about someone I think it's a lovely thing to share it. If anyone took it the wrong way I wouldn't worry, I'm just honest with my opinion! Being bi does make you see the beauty in everyone I think and I find sooo many people attractive, the compliments just roll off the tongue!

KirstyLee [sign in to see picture]

As long as it was a genuine compliment it wouldn't bother me who it was from :)

I am straight but I appreciate attractive looking male and females !

For the first time ever I got Wolf Whistled in the pub from a group of 40 year old ladies, Not sure how to take it as I am somebody else's man .Just wondering how a married soman on the receiving end should have reacted to this sort of behaviour.

Belle_djour [sign in to see picture]

How do we take compliments?

Rarely.

Belles

SmokingHotLove [sign in to see picture]

Receiving a compliment is lovely! Believing it is something else completely!

My Mrs doesn't take compliments at all well..She gets embarrased especially when other women tell her how beautiful she looks. She certainly does look beautiful but of a bygone era which I like. She looks like a lady from the 1940/50s with the way she has her hair. I like this very much but if I told her that she would take it the wrong way. She also panicked a little when a group of single over 40s guys too a liking to her. I think its a confidence thing with her.

I think compliments are fine its when it goes beyond that , the problems start.

As I mentioned in the Rant thread one very manipulative woman and yes if I am being honest she was attactive but wouldnt take "No" for an answer . The odd thing about it was that she was convinced she could prise me away from my Mrs and was prepared to do it standing only about 8 ft away from where my Mrs was.

Of course my Mrs saw what was going on and heard me say "No" again to this other womans advances . So my Mrs grabbed her drink( half a lager) and poured it over her head. With my Mrs being nearly 6ft she knew she had met her match and darn't relatiate.

Yes we ended up being asked to leave and so did the other woman .

Alicia4Ever [sign in to see picture]

It's a hard life Mysteron, being so darn attractive, lol.

Alicia4Ever wrote:

It's a hard life Mysteron, being so darn attractive, lol.

I know what your saying but sometimes I just wished to be left enjoying a peaceful night without anyonme watching every move I make. It also makes my Mrs feel threatened hence the action she took .

Alicia4Ever [sign in to see picture]

I know it works both ways, harassment is harassment, whatever the motivations; I was once told to move out of someones line of view, because they found me so unattractive; it was a woman doing the telling. . So I won't ever have your problem, but for me it would be kind of nice; at least at first.

Alicia4Ever wrote:

I know it works both ways, harassment is harassment, whatever the motivations; I was once told to move out of someones line of view, because they found me so unattractive; it was a woman doing the telling. . So I won't ever have your problem, but for me it would be kind of nice; at least at first.

I think many ladies on here would disagree with that woman .But I would imagine being told to move like that does affect your confidence .Confidence is a very fragile thing and it only needs one negative comment to affect it.

DreamsOfChi [sign in to see picture]

I'm happy to accept compliments from my husband but I don't really welcome them from strangers (of any sex) if I suspect there's an ulterior motive or the delivery is creepy.

I have no issue with non-sexual compliments ("I love your hair!" or "Those shoes are so cute!") but if it's'Your legs look sexy in that dress!" or "Your boobs are amazing!" then I would be uncomfortable because, for me, it crosses a line. I do sometimes compliment strangers myself - usually women and usually about their tattoos.

A few months ago, I bumped into a guy I went to school with (and always fancied!) and he said I was 'looking very glamorous' which put a spring in my step for the rest of the day. My straight, married, male friend will comment on how (good) I'm looking and my bisexual female friend and I will often tell each other that we're looking hot and I've got no issue with that either. I think it's how well I know the person that is the clincher for me, not the sex of the compliment giver.

Addh [sign in to see picture]

I'm more than happy to accept compliments from other guys whatever their orientation and women. It's always good to receive. I also try and compliment others in a similar spirit but bearing in mind my relationship to them and the context.

BigBikeGuy [sign in to see picture]

I'd be really chuffed if someone complimented me, male or female.

Quite often I'll be walking down the street and see a woman with a pretty smile, I'd love to be able to go up and say, 'hi you've got a great smile' but these days it'd be seen as some kind of preditory advance.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.