• Wait! We think you’re in the US - Lovehoney.com is a better site for you.
    Shop there and get 10% off!
    United States Flag
    Go to Lovehoney.com
  1. How do you take a compliment ?

Terri JJ [sign in to see picture]

This something that I've wondered for ages.

If you're a straight woman, how do you feel about compliments/comments directed at your body, sex appeal etc from bisexual or gay women ?

The same applies to men. What do straight men think of compliments/comments directed at your physique etc from bisexual or gay men ?

I'm bisexual and I'm more than happy to compliment anyone who looks good, male or female, but I often wonder if my comments make straight women feel uncomfortable ? xx

mysteron [sign in to see picture]

I have actually nearly been asked out by a guy . At some point I did wonder were the conversation was leading ! He did comment on my slimness and asked whether I worked out or not . I started getting suspicious if you like when he mentioned "Was I ripped under that shirt " ?!

Being fair I just take it as a compliment in the same way I get from the opposite sex . At end of the day a compliment is a compliment and in my case I didn't have any obligation to go any further with this guy which was no different than the ladies that have asked me out . I am happily married at end of the day and want to remain so !

For some reason my Mrs didn't see the guy as a threat in the same she she sees some of the ladies .I guess its because she knows that I have no interest in the male body and its taken me ages to get to appreciate my own .

lovingnewtoys [sign in to see picture]

The way I feel I am happy to take a compliment from anyone - my problem is accepting they mean it!!!! Xxx

Sxleksaker [sign in to see picture]

I get very flattered if a woman compliments me, regardless of their sexual preference :)

NatandTom [sign in to see picture]

It depends on the delivery of the compliment, rather than the person giving it! In my personal experience, if you know how to give compliments that aren't invading, uncomfortable or creepy then the person you're complimenting is usually flattered. It's a nice change from the "nice tits love" that I've heard people shouting across bars!

wildflower [sign in to see picture]

It wouldn't make me feel uncomfortable as a straight woman at all. I'd be quite flattered to get a compliment from anyone !

Shadow Collector [sign in to see picture]

NatandTom wrote:

It depends on the delivery of the compliment, rather than the person giving it! In my personal experience, if you know how to give compliments that aren't invading, uncomfortable or creepy then the person you're complimenting is usually flattered. It's a nice change from the "nice tits love" that I've heard people shouting across bars!

This 100%

It's not about the sexuality of the person, it's about the tone and the way it is delivered.

Then again, I'm not exactly straight, sooooo.... :P 

captainmeow [sign in to see picture]

NatandTom wrote:

+1! Respectful compliments are always fine by me

Heidi920 [sign in to see picture]

A flattering compliment is nice to receive from anyone. I don't think a compliment from a bisexual/ gay person would make me feel any different about how I would take it x

JGHunter [sign in to see picture]

I've managed to "beat" poor self esteem out of my wife lol. I've been complimenting her for eight years and she used to brush it off. I just straight up asked her not to dismiss my compliments, I knew she wanted them really but felt too lacking in self esteem to accept them. A lot of people who have compliments deflected give up, and I know that that's the main aim of deflecting compliments, eventually the people will stop. But I wasn't going to, and over time she's come to appreciate my random compliments, especially if they actually differ from her own opinion (she had her hair cut recently and felt it was too short, but I told her, honestly, that I genuinely liked it and thought it looked good) and I think those compliments are worth more than the ones you slightly agree with (ie they appreciate the effort you went into it, you do think you look good and you want people to notice the effort, which isn't the same as fishing for compliments).

I used to struggle with self esteem issues big time, total lack of self worth. I don't know what happened, I guess I made an ass of myself enough times that I hit rock bottom. Now, I still have some validation requirements but they're academic. Looks-wise I'm fairly OK. I'm no model, I know that, but I accept who I am so if someone complimented me in anyway, though to be fair that basically never happens, never had much luck with women in my younger years, I would accept it. I actually think I have received more compliments from my male (straight!) friends than from women, so that stereotype about men socializing by talking shit to each other isn't true. Well, not 100%, we all enjoy a bit of banter.

Being able to receive compliments isn't just about you. It's about the other person. It's like a gift. If I do something simple like buy my wife a coffee, am I gonna be happy if she says "no thanks" and pours it down a drain? That's the effect reflecting a compliment has on the giver, so please consider their feelings if you think of refusing a compliment.

NaughtyNerd [sign in to see picture]

I don't think sexuality matters. Aslong it is appropriate or creepy a compliment doesn't mean that the other person wants to jump my bones.
    I'd be pretty flattered regardless.

[suspended user]

suspended user

What a very interesting question. I've always given compliments to women but it seems more recently some are detected and unwanted. Not sure if iam to old fashioned or modern feminist don't like it.

Moving on ax a younger man I had received compliments from men and actually found it a little intimidating if not humorous.

I'm die cast straight so have never even been curious just find the female form is more than enough .

However my brother is gay and has told few of his friend's had remarked shame I'm straight lol.

Mr Cheeky Monkey [sign in to see picture]

I always try to give compliments that are respectful, complimentary and flattering but as a result of depression and low self asteem I always that the receiver will take the compliment the wrong way and think I am creepy or weird. As for receiving a compliment, I can't remember ever receiving one

VioletWolf [sign in to see picture]

As long as I'm in the mood to accept the compliment, I don't mind where it comes from if it's genuine.

delilahxx [sign in to see picture]

Sxleksaker wrote:

I get very flattered if a woman compliments me, regardless of their sexual preference :)

This! It's always nice to get a compliment.
    Lucy.Locket [sign in to see picture]

It's always nice to get compliments, as long as that person means them and doesn't deliver it in a overtly creepy way I'm more ham happy to receive them. I might just get a bit embarrassed but they are appreciated. 😀

Lu SB [sign in to see picture]

I'm a very outgoing person and I do like to compliment people when I think they deserve. So I'm happy to get a compliment from someone as long as feel is sincere. I'm straight but there's something that excites me about getting a compliment from another woman specailly if it's something a bit naughty - I have to know the person though.

Lil_Red_Kinkyboots [sign in to see picture]

I've never really thought about it before. As others have said as long as it's genuine then I'm flattered to receive a compliment. It doesn't even cross my mind of their sexuality straight or gay a compliment is a compliment. I find other women attractive but I'm not bisexual and I often pay other women compliments without a second thought.

I wouldn't worry about it Terri 😊

mysteron [sign in to see picture]

Whilst my OH went to the toilet at a cabaret bar in our town a girl came up to me and said "Your Fit"

It caught me off guard a little and all I could say was "I know".It sounds a bit ,modest I know but that's all I could think of so as not to encourage anything.I do like compliments but sometimes they can catch you out a little as in this case.

As a couple we got complimented on the same night as well as we really suited each other and they could see the chemistry flow between us.

Vanessa8 [sign in to see picture]

So i struggle sometimes accepting compliments because i can self doubt...

I find a compmiment that is delivered in a geniune and respectful way to be a huge ego boost. While i am pretty straight sexually compliments from a bi or lesbian woman have and make me feel great and are not unwelcome. Sometimes they can even hit me harder in a good eay because i feel like women understands some if our own body issues and insecurities at times.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.