• Wait! We think you’re in the US - Lovehoney.com is a better site for you.
    Shop there and get 10% off!
    United States Flag
    Go to Lovehoney.com
  1. Body confidence and how to get it?

Tiger Dick [sign in to see picture]

The first step to moving on from any issue, is acknowledge it exists for you, denial is the enemy for anything you want to escape from.

AdamKR you've already acknowledge that this is an issue and you are with friends here, your journey to being self assured in your own skin has begun.

Bexy [sign in to see picture]

When I was a teenager, I was like any other girl. Although my parents were quite open around the house (going to and from the bathroom in undies or sometimes less) it was probably quite a normal upbringing so when I was at school, I did what most girls do during PE and that was to wrap a towel around me and make sure no-one saw any of my bits when I was changing. I can't actually think of anyone who didn't do this now. I think this sort of behaviour, together with more media obsession about how we look gave me some concerns about a few bits of my body. In this day and age, I think this is pretty normal even if we shouldn't have to feel this way.

For me, I became much happier in myself by mistake really. I went on holiday with my mum and sister. My mum (always ritzy!) had somehow managed to buy me thong bikini bottoms for the bikinis she'd ordered for me and the only ones I'd packed. To cut a long story short, I ended up wearing them on the beach . Worried about the attention I might get, my mum decided to deflect anything of the sort by whipping her top off as soon as we sat down. I eventually ended up the same and realised that no-one paid any extra or obvious attention to me.

Ultimately, I felt confident enough to try a nude beach and haven't looked back since. Unless you go to a really seedy one (think old men hiding in he dunes), I've found that talking, interacting and being around other naked people to be one of the most liberating feelings I've ever had and when you realise no-one cares what you look like and no-one judges you, it's a very positive and empowering feeling. Appreciatively you need to get over the initial shyness but even if someone did say something about my body that wasn't particularly pleasant, I really wouldn't let it bother me anymore. If you don't have a beach like this nearby, try a nudist club or even just a local nude swimming night; there's a few dotted around the uk.

mysteron [sign in to see picture]

From my own point of view I think there is a difference say between being naked in the bedroom and naked in front of others. I admire those that have the bottle to do it. Myself, no chance even though I do have a decent body now.I wouldnt even walk around without a shirt on in public.I always make the excuse that I don't want to risk getting skin cancer .

I guess I must be nuts as when it comes to talking to the other sex and I don't have a problem and I come over as being confident albeit a tad shy occasionally .

There is a programme on Channel 4 (UK)10pm tonight about Skinny Dipping, and may provide an incite to how people overcome body confidence issues.

Tiger Dick wrote:

There is a programme on Channel 4 (UK)10pm tonight about Skinny Dipping, and may provide an incite to how people overcome body confidence issues.

I hope that will get repeated as we are likely to be out then .

There's always All 4  the on demand service to catch up on it

Terri JJ [sign in to see picture]

When I was a child....I was a very fat child ! My mum 'made' my clothes and the other children who at the time I thought we're my 'friends' were actually really cruel and bullied me. I lost loads of weight when I left school and moved away from a rather unhappy homelife.

I'm certainly not slim now but I've learned to make the most of what I have. I would love to be super slim but thats never going to happen. I've accepted that and I'm now happy in my own skin. Receiving great compliments from the Lovehoney folk is a great boost if you need one. You dont need to be 'perfect' to be confident...you just have to make the best of what you have and be yourself xx

Terri JJ wrote:

When I was a child....I was a very fat child ! My mum 'made' my clothes and the other children who at the time I thought we're my 'friends' were actually really cruel and bullied me. I lost loads of weight when I left school and moved away from a rather unhappy homelife.

I'm certainly not slim now but I've learned to make the most of what I have. I would love to be super slim but thats never going to happen. I've accepted that and I'm now happy in my own skin. Receiving great compliments from the Lovehoney folk is a great boost if you need one. You dont need to be 'perfect' to be confident...you just have to make the best of what you have and be yourself xx

I agree . I don't think having a decent body like my case always makes you body confident either , well not in public anyway. The bedroom however is a different thing .I have always kept myself covered up in public and I don't see that changing . The only thing that probably would be an exception is if I did something for charity. That way I would be "Grin and Baring it" for a good cause

Mandygirl [sign in to see picture]

When I was a young kid back home I got a lot of flack about being chubby and flat chested which really hurt me. Twenty years on I still don't have much of a cleavage but once I learned to be happy with what I've got that was the release I needed. But I do have to be careful about not loosing too much weight now.

So total respect to the folks who do overcome body confidence issues. And to those who are still working it through - hang on in there! XX

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.