• Wait! We think you’re in the US - Lovehoney.com is a better site for you.
    Shop there and get 10% off!
    United States Flag
    Go to Lovehoney.com
  1. GUM Clinic - any experiences

sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]

i forgot to mention. when i got mine done it was all at my GP's. one appointment and one female doctor. I decided to take the plunge and get the implant, and they fitted it for me the next day!

i dont get smear tests yet, as im only 20 so its one thing ive not experienced yet. however i feel more comfortable with the idea now ive had the tests.

wenchiepie [sign in to see picture]

i've never had a bad experience with a GUM clinic biut i had an awful experience trying to get the morning after pill from a pharmacy. I waited 20 minutes to see the pharmacist who was a man for a start (i feel dead uncomfortable discussing stuff like that will male GPs let alone pharmacists) and well he didn't speak fantastic english, hadn't heard of the pill i was on (i missed a couple due to leaving them at home oops) and misunderstood what i was telling me and told me that because he didn't hink i needed it he wouldn't give it to me. I said i'd still like it for peace of mind and he refused. So when my period was 5 days late i was [practically wetting myself!

Ecksvie [sign in to see picture]

I think I'll post here rather than create a thread about my health issues!

TMI warning - you might wish to look away now.

I've recently (well, I say recently, it'd been going on for a few weeks) been suffering with my lady bits. Long story short, I think I've got a cut, or something, somewhere on the inside/outside border. I dont really know what it is, but my boyfriend looked and thinks he could see something there. It can sometimes hurt when I get pee on it if I've rubbed it too hard the last time I went to the toilet, and unlubricated sex is out of the question. Even with lube, I can't have sex for more than a few minutes before it starts stinging. I've used liquid antiseptic on it (stings like a bitch for the first few mintues, but after that it does stop the stinging), but being in the area that it's in, I dont think it's going to just go away on its own, and I think I need to see a doctor to see what they say.

Getting in to see a GP where I live is a right pain in the ass, and getting to see a female GP as I would need/want to would be even harder. I'd also prefer to go to my local GUM clinic if at all possible just because I feel more comfortable there. However, I dont want to make an appointment and be told that's not what they deal with and to go to my GP (although it's a genital issue, it's not contraception or STD related). I'm not sure I fancy ringing up and explaining my problem to the receptionist either to see if they can deal with it.

What do you guys think? GUM clinic or GP?

Hedonistic [sign in to see picture]

I'd say GUM clinic. Just check to make sure they have a walk in clinic and they should be able to see you without a formal appointment. But they may not be able to guarentee a gender specific doctor.

GUM clinics deal with all apsects of sexual health, so genital injuries do fall under their remit and they do see a lot of people about them as not everyone wants to wave their genitals at their community GP.

I myself was in during January for a standard check and also to discuss bruising/tenderness of my penis. The doctor was very helpful and reassuring and took the matter seriously. She was also totaly right about the cause and treatment, so it was overall a good experience.

In my opinion it's important you get this seen to, as a cut that won't heal properly can lead to an infection which can aggravate everything else.

I hope it turns out okay :)

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

Hedonistic is spot on - if it's not healing on its own get your self down to the GUM clinic! In my experience they're especially professional/knowledgable since they deal with things like that on a daily basis!

I get tears all the time but for me they always heal really quickly. The worst is a reoccuring deep tear just on the entrance which is the area my Mooncup has just reopened yesterday but it feels pretty much healed already - I'm a quick healer ha!

I hope you get it sorted lovely and in the meantime keep it nice and clean *without* making it sore. Gentle bathing with plain, warm water should be plenty to avoid making it sore with soaps.

Adx

Thanks guys, that's reassuring. I told myself I was gonna give it another week which is what I'll do - if it's still not any better then I'll phone up Monday morning to make an appointment. They do have a walk-in service but they fit you in around the appointments. The GUM clinic is about half an hour away so I'd rather make an appointment and wait a few extra days rather than sit around waiting to be seen for hours or not getting seen at all.

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

Ecksvie wrote:

Thanks guys, that's reassuring. I told myself I was gonna give it another week which is what I'll do - if it's still not any better then I'll phone up Monday morning to make an appointment. They do have a walk-in service but they fit you in around the appointments. The GUM clinic is about half an hour away so I'd rather make an appointment and wait a few extra days rather than sit around waiting to be seen for hours or not getting seen at all.

I'd ring up earlier and book - you can always cancel if things sort out before then (as long as you give them 24hrs notice)! That way you don't have to wait a few days :)

Adx

MissFortune [sign in to see picture]

Hahah, last time I went to get tested, a nurse brought me into one of their little rooms and confidently told me that there was, quote, "nothing not abnormal about your test results".

Seeing my expression, the nurse says "Oh, wait, did I use one too many negatives there? Er, what I meant to say is everything's fine". Hahah... I did suspect that would have been a pretty harsh way to tell someone they had every disease going...

xx

I went shopping today and happened to be walking past so I popped in. Got an appointment for next Wednesday :)

Dirty Red Angel [sign in to see picture]

Ecksvie wrote:

I went shopping today and happened to be walking past so I popped in. Got an appointment for next Wednesday :)

Excellent - will set your mind at ease x

I came to realise that if it was going to clear itself up on its own it would have already done so, so pointless waiting til Monday, and already being there gave me incentive to just go in and get an appointment. Not having sex seems to help, but I'm not going to do that unless it's on doctor's orders! :P

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.