99p Next Day delivery! Hurry ends in ...
  1. GUM Clinic - any experiences

KittyPurry [sign in to see picture]

LL I'm sorry you had a rough time! What annoys me most is that it sounds like nothing was properly explained to you and you weren't treated sensitively at all which is completely unacceptable.

I know it's annoying that they insist on running all those tests before they fit a coil (I'd only slept with my OH when they put mine in) but it's an unfortunate necessity. It only takes one encounter with one partner to transmit all kinds of horrible STDs so unless you're a virgin (to oral sex too) you could have caught something. A lot of diseases like chlamydia have no symptoms but could leave you infertile or herpes for example lies dormant and causes/spreads infection at a later stage. Scarily anyone could be infected and not know it. Another problem the doctors face is that a lot of people lie about their sexual history which means they don't tend to take anyone's word as gospel truth, it's not that they doubt you personally, they just need to be sure.

I know it's all a bit grim but if you had an infection and they fitted a coil it could push the disease deeper into your womb where it could spread to your ovaries and cause pain and infertility etc. The pregnancy thing is annoying too but again if they went ahead with the coil and you were pregnant you'd be at risk of ectopic pregnancy and/or miscarriage.

It's a complete pain in the ...vagina... but better to be safe than sorry!

After my initial tests I was told to completely abstain from sex for 2 weeks before I had my coil fitted so they could be sure it was safe to go ahead...that was the longest 2 weeks EVER! If you have to do the same you have my full sympathy. Thank god for LH and sex toys!!!

xxKPxx

sexy little minx [sign in to see picture]

I went today to get the implant fitted. The only complaint I have is the amount of time I had to wait for an appointment. It is about a 2 month waiting list to see about contraception as the family planning and GUM clinics have been rolled into one.

The Doctor was lovely, she asked what I was there for and I explained my situation, that I was in a LTR and we have been using condoms but we have had 2 accidents, 1 condom has split and 1 had come off. I explained that I had got the morning after pill on both occasions as I didn't want to take the chance of falling pregnant and wanted something more reliable. I was expecting some kind of lecture but she was great and even commended me on being so sensible about it! She went through everything with me, she asked questions, I asked a few. Then we were ready to go. 5 minutes later I walked out, implant in place. I wouldn't hessitate going back there in the future.

Ecksvie [sign in to see picture]

Yay! I'm glad things went well for you SLM. Hope you'll find it was worth the wait.

sexy little minx [sign in to see picture]

Thanks Ecks, so do I! The doctor also said to me that if I have any problems with it I have just to go back straight away, I won't have to wait all that time to get seen again.

Ah, that's a good thing. When I got mine, My next period was a few weeks late, but when it did I got bleeding almost every day for maybe a month or two (although it was very mild so I didnt even bother wearing a pad or tampon). Once it settled down it was much better though and I rarely get any bleeding or discomfort now at all. Guess I'm just saying that the first few months will be the worse in terms of symptoms (although it's really not that bad) but once you're past that it's pretty sweet.

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

I went today!

I mentioned around here recently that my clit has felt kind of bruised for ages - well I had a look and saw 2 little white spots so decided to get it checked out...it turns out its inflammation of the area causing 2 little glands to get damaged.

Anyway, I went down at 11am after my lecture and got all booked in, they asked for some details then sent me to the waiting room. About half an hour later I was called in by the consultant.

She asked some questions including did I have any medical problems and I mentioned the joint condition...she said "ahhh yes, so do you have skin problems with the connective tissue issues?" (point number one - not many doctors know much about my joint condition let alone gynaes! So I was very happy!).

She asked a reasonably thorough history then sent the nurse in to "get me ready" - she'd asked before hand if I wanted the full STI test and I thought, why not - so off I was sent to get a urine sample. Then I was told to undress from the waist down and pop a gown on...off went the nurse and in came the consultant.

She looked for about a minute - less than that probably and said - yes its inflammation, you have damage to some of the skin and lots of tiny tears and some larger tears too. I was dubious that she'd looked thoroughly enough so probed for more detail and I can confirm - she didn't miss anything!

She took a swab, told me what she thought and explained a treatment before insisting I go back to my GP to get referred to either a gynae or a dermatologist, or both. She said it would need managing in the long term but in the short term she could give me some cream to soothe.

Overally it was a brilliant experience - she was knowledgeable, it was comfortable, she was gentle, she was thorough and gave me lots of answers to questions I had and was very informative on what to do! The nurse that took my blood was obviously very experienced too.

The only downside was I did have to wait a while - I got there at 11.15 and left at nearly 1 but I had 4 hours to kill so I can'tcomplain!

Definitely a good GUM clinic in Liverpool! She diagnosed in half an hour what several other doctors and gynaes couldn't diagnose in months (although I hadn't been diagnosed for the joints when I saw my previous gynaes so I'll let them off :P.

Too much detail here but I was kind of worried when I saw the white lumps and couldn't find much info online so I thought I'd share in case anyone ever experiences anything like this in the future.

Axx

Yay Adnaw! I'm glad to hear you had a good experience. My GUM clinic is really good and it saddened me a little bit to hear of others' bad experiences.

I've had the odd little problem that I considered seeing a doc about at the time (luckily all problems that cleared up on their own) and was wondering whether they do examination stuff like that at a GUM clinic or if I'd have to go to my local doctor's surgery. Guess I know now!

WandA [sign in to see picture]

AdnaW wrote:

I went today!

Axx

And this one didn't even ask if I was a rapist!

Yay - that's exactly why I like sharing - it can answer questions people don't like to ask!

Also - I didn't close my brackets! :(.

Ax

WandA wrote:

AdnaW wrote:

I went today!

Axx

I'll explain -

Last time I saw a gynae for pain during sex he basically asked if I ever felt forced to have sex by a non understanding partner - I guess he had to ask but I just laughed, he's obviously never met WandA - Mr "*worried face* at the slightest wince"!

Ax

Muz333 [sign in to see picture]

Had my first experience with a GUM clinic lately and I have to say I couldn't have expected them to do anything better. They were very nice people and weren't at all bothered I was late because of the train being delayed and made the whole time as comfortable as possible.

Now I was given a female doctor but there was absolutely no problems there and I only had to do a blood and urine test as well as a testicle check (which was in all honesty enjoyable). So there was no cotton bud or serrated needle stuck down my urethra as the urine tests are sensitive enough to be gone of this archaic testing.

As I'm doing a doctorate in genetics and microbiology myself I even got a good conversation rather than the whole "How's the weather" stuff. I was also handed some leaflets, free condoms and lubrication which was nice of them. All in all I'd have no problem going back.

Jessie Jane [sign in to see picture]

Hello, I'm new to the LH forums, but just wanted to say that that sounds like the most awful experience. Your partner should make a written complaint to the clinic. I recently went to a GUM clinic to get checked out (got the all clear!) and all the staff were lovely and put me at ease straight away, which is as it should be really! You wouldn't go into hospital and expect to be treated like crap so the GUM clinics shouldn't be any different, if anything, the staff should be glad that people ARE getting themselves checked for STDs. I would definitely write a letter of complaint.

shauny10 [sign in to see picture]

i've been a couple of times, over the years, and the people there were all good. i'm not the best with blood test, so the nurse was really nice and talked to me. one doctor was a bit blunt to me.

other than that it just took so long to wait, if you were not first in the queue. it seemed to take forever. but you can't argue when its all done for free.

learnt now if i ever need to go back what time to get there, and get in first

the_24th_moment [sign in to see picture]

Both as a patient and as an NHS staff member, yes.

If you had a bad experience, you do have the right to complain. Contact the PALS or customer service dept of your local NHS Primary Care Trust (whilst they still exist!)

As a patient, I have been to a NHS GUM clinic and had a positive experience from it. And I came out with the all clear.

I am also a NHS staff member and provide support the local GUM and family planning clinics.

DesignDude [sign in to see picture]

WandA wrote:

AdnaW wrote:

I went today!

Axx

lmfao! i'm pretty sure some of our friends think i'm abusive towards KP sometimes lol! we sometimes play fight and i've done stuff like given her a dead leg etc! I have to say though, it's only happened a couple of times and she hits me back just as hard (if not harder, she has a mean punch for a little person) lol!

DesignDude wrote:

WandA wrote:

AdnaW wrote:

I went today!

Axx

lmfao! i'm pretty sure some of our friends think i'm abusive towards KP sometimes lol! we sometimes play fight and i've done stuff like given her a dead leg etc! I have to say though, it's only happened a couple of times and she hits me back just as hard (if not harder, she has a mean punch for a little person) lol!

'Cos Ad suffers pain the first question is usually about if anyone makes her do anything... errr, no.

KittyPurry [sign in to see picture]

DesignDude wrote:

WandA wrote:

AdnaW wrote:

I went today!

Axx

tee hee what can I say....I like to play rough!

xxKPxx

KittyPurry wrote:

tee hee what can I say....I like to play rough!

xxKPxx

She floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee, this is the amazing sexy KAAAAYYYYYYPEEEEEE!

Isn't that taken?

sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]

i got tested a few weeks ago, when i got the implant put in as they offered it and i thought what the hey?

all in all it wasnt an uncomfortable experience, didnt hurt or anything however the doctor said something a little awkward during the cervical examination. She talked me through the procedure and the said "and you have a lovley healthy cervix". wasnt quite sure what to do while she still had she speculum inside me at that point :S

everything came back clear in less than a week, so all is well.

lilac_vix [sign in to see picture]

I've had mainly good experiences and nothing horrendous- I tend to go at least once a year just to be on the safe side. I always have found the staff to be professional.

Only what annoys me is that the services are split, so when I was having problems with my periods- basically I didn't get any for two years but I did get spotting 2 or 3 times a week which was very annoying and arkward to work round. The GP sent me for tests, I got the all clear but still had the spotting soshe then sent me for all the tests again and after the third time round I just gave up and ask for what I wanted myself- ie going on the pill to regulate than getting the implant removed. It still annoys me that no one ever got to the bottom of it, or made me feel reassured there wasn't anything wrong. It took 4 years for my periods to regulate.

Plus why cant they do your smear at the same time, I was due my smear this time I went to the GUM clinic and she said I had to go back to my GP's for it so I had two nurses up there in the space of a week.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.