• GUM Clinic - any experiences

CitySlicker [sign in to see picture]

Can someone explin what they refer to when the say STI/STD's can lay "dormont" - Except in the case of Herpes i dont think this is the case - ie you can have re-current episodes of it, and therefore it could be in a dormont period.

As far as im aware no others share this trait. There may be a differing period from contracting to showing symptoms (in such cases where symptoms will actually present themselves) - its important to distinguish because they dont lay dormont per se, they just dont present readily defineable symptoms.

Further, knowingly infecting someone else with anything no matter what your motives is quite possibly one of the most morally reprehensible things someone can do

Ecksvie [sign in to see picture]

CitySlicker wrote:

Can someone explin what they refer to when the say STI/STD's can lay "dormont" - Except in the case of Herpes i dont think this is the case - ie you can have re-current episodes of it, and therefore it could be in a dormont period.

As far as im aware no others share this trait. There may be a differing period from contracting to showing symptoms (in such cases where symptoms will actually present themselves) - its important to distinguish because they dont lay dormont per se, they just dont present readily defineable symptoms.

Further, knowingly infecting someone else with anything no matter what your motives is quite possibly one of the most morally reprehensible things someone can do

I believe that's what they mean when we say they lay dormant - you can have an STD without knowing it because you're not having any symptoms from it yet.

For that reason, it's a good idea to get tested even if you dont think you have anything, since you may well have one but dont know it because you havent had any symptoms.

KittyPurry [sign in to see picture]

CitySlicker wrote:

I believe syphilis also has latent stage between the three active/symptomatic stages.

xxKPxx

Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]

CitySlicker wrote:

HIV is undetectable for a few months after a person catches it, it can then lay dormant for upto 20 years before you suffer any ill health from it....the point in discussing dormancy was just to highlight that for *some* STIs you can't detect them right away even if you get tested - it is one of the reasons when you give blood they insist on you waiting at least a year (or never being able to give blood in some cases) if you have engaged in something that increases your risk of contracting HIV.

As has been said - this is a heated discussion, shellyboo I respect you for withdrawing from the discussion after seeing no common ground is likely to be met. AA I respect you for at least considering to alter your practises if the need ever arises. I think we all need to agree to leave this subject closed for the time being. I too am withdrawing from the discussion and think we should get back on topic, this heated discussion may be putting others off of replying to the original question...

Ax

BumLovingCriminal [sign in to see picture]

Hello, mooching round the forums so I thought I'd ressurect a dead thread.

Confession here, so please don't judge - The one time I didn't use a condom with a new partner, I caught chlamydia. I don't know how long I had it for and I'm terrified that I'm now infertile.

I didn't have any symptoms at first, so I probably had it for at least two months. As far as I'm aware, the NHS don't offer fertility tests unless you're trying to get pregnant, which I'm not at the moment (I'm ready but Mr BLC isn't.). I don't have the money to have private tests.

Mr BLC and I had a year-long hiatus from each other not long after we first got together. We saw/slept with other people because we genuinely though it was over between us. We were both a little, erm, loose in morals while we were apart (I had three sexual partners in that year and at least one epsiode of non-penatrative fooling around) and Mr BLC had at least two (that he remembers!).

With one of the partners I drunkenly didn't use a condom, and with another the condom slipped off. I still to this day do not know who I caught it from, I never found out about any of their subsequent test results.

I was sucessfully treated and we both got re-tested before we got back together. But that stupid year of my life might have ruined my hopes of ever becoming a mother.

BumLovingCriminal wrote:

Confession here, so please don't judge - The one time I didn't use a condom with a new partner, I caught chlamydia. I don't know how long I had it for and I'm terrified that I'm now infertile.

I didn't have any symptoms at first, so I probably had it for at least two months. As far as I'm aware, the NHS don't offer fertility tests unless you're trying to get pregnant, which I'm not at the moment (I'm ready but Mr BLC isn't.). I don't have the money to have private tests.

Mr BLC and I had a year-long hiatus from each other not long after we first got together. We saw/slept with other people because we genuinely though it was over between us. We were both a little, erm, loose in morals while we were apart (I had three sexual partners in that year and at least one epsiode of non-penatrative fooling around) and Mr BLC had at least two (that he remembers!).

With one of the partners I drunkenly didn't use a condom, and with another the condom slipped off. I still to this day do not know who I caught it from, I never found out about any of their subsequent test results.

I was sucessfully treated and we both got re-tested before we got back together. But that stupid year of my life might have ruined my hopes of ever becoming a mother.

Hi BLC - just a quick reply as I have to dash of to uni but your post struck a cord with me- I too worry about my fertility, not due to an STI but I still have the worry and it's not fun! No judgements from me btw!

I just wanted to offer some reassurance - a quick scoot online has found this quote from the National Chlamydia Screening Programme - "It is untreated chlamydia that may result in infertility. There may be a greater likelihood of chlamydia causing infertility if you have repeated infections or if it remains untreated. ". So It's very likely you are fine! The website is - http://www.chlamydiascreening.nhs.uk/index.htm if you want anymore info.

thanks for sharing your story - it's important that people understand the importance of regular testing!

Ax

Thanks AdnaW, I'm just having a quick mooch on the site now. If my story makes just one person stop and think about protecting and testing themselves, it will be a story worth telling! x

sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]

hiya BLC. no one here will judge you hun. accidents happen, and you did the right thing by getting tested.

the doctors offered me a chalmydia screening about a week ago when i went to get my repeat percription of cezarrette. i didn't take them up on the offer because i had one six months ago ( it was all clear), and haven't changed partner since. i think when im settled down on this pill again i'm going to go to the GUM clinic and have a full test, so i know for myself that everyhthings all clear.

You see I used to get tested regularly because I was undergoing testing for diagnosis but since leaving that process I haven't been tested. I've been with WandA since 15 and know neither of us will ever have sex with another as long as we are together so I've not really thought to get tested again, but maybe it's worth doing anyway, it's free and you never know do you.

Ax

MzBee [sign in to see picture]

Well I think I'm bloody lucky. By rights I should have been pregnant a million times over and riddled with every disease under the sun. But I haven't been and I'm not. It's not that I don't believe in contraception, I do, I'm just not very good at being proactive about it. Oh, I'm great about getting tested, I'm just not great at the 'condom' chat. HOWEVER, saying all that, as I'm getting older, I now find it easier to say 'bring your condoms' as opposed to blushing ten shades of red and saying 'er um er stutter stutter'

As for a GUM clinic, I've never been for myself. All my tests have been done at my local surgery.

My last boyfriend and I got thrush... I went to the doctor, she gave me a prescription and blah it was all gone. He on the other hand acted like he was about to lose his penis and trotted up to the GUM clinic who made out like I was a mega slut even though it was only thrush. It was all about my sexual history (hadn't slept with anyone for over a year and had been checked in the inbetween) and that it came from me etc. On that basis alone, I will stick with my local gp and the GUM clinic can go screw themselves.

sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]

MzBee wrote:

My last boyfriend and I got thrush... I went to the doctor, she gave me a prescription and blah it was all gone. He on the other hand acted like he was about to lose his penis and trotted up to the GUM clinic who made out like I was a mega slut even though it was only thrush. It was all about my sexual history (hadn't slept with anyone for over a year and had been checked in the inbetween) and that it came from me etc. On that basis alone, I will stick with my local gp and the GUM clinic can go screw themselves.

men can develop thrush too. theres no conclusive way to say whos passed it onto who. i would have filed a complaint if it was me!

MzBee [sign in to see picture]

Exactly, I was furious and vented quite nicely! lol

Ilovemyman [sign in to see picture]

BumLovingCriminal wrote:

Hiya, have you spoken to your GP about your concerns? My friend was trying to get pregnant and she used an ovilation kit, i'm not sure if that would help put your mind at rest? *hugs*

I had been with my previous partner 3 years when i found out he had cheated on me with his ex. We split up because of it, i couldn't trust him anymore. Anyway i was single for about 8 months before i met my husband, then a month in to our relationship my ex phoned me and said he had contracted warts from her and i needed to get tested. I was mortified, i had to tell my new boyfriend (now my husband) and he had to be tested too even though we had always used condoms. Luckily we were both clear. The staff and nurses at the clinic were brilliant, really kind and sympathetic.

Thanks everyone for your support and info, I do feel a little better now knowing that I probably would have needed to have it a lot longer than I did to cause any real damage

Ilovemyman - Thanks hun, I'm not trying to get pregnant at the moment, (Mr BLC ain't ready) but when we do start trying I'll check those ovulation kits out, they sound pretty good. Thanks!

*Emma* [sign in to see picture]

Never been to a GUM clinic however ive always gone to the docs for checks after breaking up with a partner, even when using protection just to make sure and never had any probs x

Tigerlilies [sign in to see picture]

I can vouch for the clinics in Cambridge to be absolutely fantastic. Everyone I've come across is very friendly and they encourage the attitude that you're going in for a sexual MOT the same way you keep track on your dental and optical health. This is much healthier than making you feel like a wanton hussy for requesting a smear test.

Tigerlilies wrote:

I can vouch for the clinics in Cambridge to be absolutely fantastic. Everyone I've come across is very friendly and they encourage the attitude that you're going in for a sexual MOT the same way you keep track on your dental and optical health. This is much healthier than making you feel like a wanton hussy for requesting a smear test.

Can you request smear tests under 25? My mum had pre-cancerous cells many years ago, and there's always the worry these things can be hereditary!

Tigerlilies [sign in to see picture]

If you put your foot down and have an undrstanding GP you should be able to get one. Explaining your family history will be a big help.

Personally I believe if you're sexually active then they are relevant. I've always used condoms but I like to keep a tab on what's going on there. Unfortunately it is more cost efficient for the NHS to focus on women over 25.

Bah, no such thing as an understanding GP at my surgery, bunch of rotten swines, the lot of 'em! When I was about 18 I used to see the college nurse for my depo injections, and she kept telling me that as soon as you become sexually active you should start having them. I wish I'd listened to her before they changed the age limit! x

Morbidia [sign in to see picture]

BumLovingCriminal wrote:

Tigerlilies wrote:

Can you request smear tests under 25? My mum had pre-cancerous cells many years ago, and there's always the worry these things can be hereditary!

What country do you live in BLC??? Im assuming England right?

Cause im in Wales, and we have smears from the age of 21 xx

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.