• UPDATED: Sex Toys On Holiday - Dubai took them :-(

    1411042597
    love_lovin' [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Captain
    • Posts: 31
    • Joined: 6 Feb 2012

    Sorry LoveHoney Jess, I know you closed the original thread but needed to add this I felt.

    Original Thread: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/sex-tips-and-talk/1060188-sex-toys-on-holiday-dubai-took-them/

    ==== FOLLOWED UP

    I've needed to at least know if I've made a mistake by not seeing the line that states - explicitly or not, that such related items aren't permitted.

    I've called and spoke to the UAE Embassy in London, in short, they're too shy to write about it, so the only way would be to ring them up and find out. Now maybe it's me, but in the age of the internet where information is made availalbe, calling an Embassy isn't the first things that springs to mind, especially when you have government websites - why didn't our gov write it?

    it's a shame that the 'understanding' they expect from tourist isn't practiced in informing non-muslim visitors coming in to invest money in their country. The english language has a variety of words that can be strung together to discreetly inform tourists of such items or related - in my opinion.

    I've got to ring my insurance company but their booklets says nothing about seizing and so not holidng my breath.

    £300 of fun gone all becuase I have to assume to know

    1411042884
    Kittyondrugz [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 441
    • Joined: 18 Apr 2014

    Oh,I'm really sorry,that's totally awful.I can't imagine how I would feel if I lost all of my toys..

    1411043737
    MrsMuffin [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
    • Posts: 98
    • Joined: 8 May 2012

    http://www.dubai.ae/en/Lists/HowToGuide/DispForm.aspx?ID=6 i think it's fairly clear. I'd hate to lose my toys and wish you luck, but not sure what chance you have

    1411043752
    pinkanimal [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1299
    • Joined: 5 Feb 2012

    considering the old one was closed. I expect this will be too.

    1411043912
    butterflybee [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Major General
    • Posts: 309
    • Joined: 2 Apr 2014

    I'm not convinced that your insurance will pay out to be honest. They don't like paying unless they absolutely have to and I think they may well take the stance that you should have known, and at least shouldn't have taken every one that you own.
    Toys may seem like an absolute essential to us, but I doubt that your insurance will feel the same way unfortunately :-/

    1411044424
    DavidB1986 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1873
    • Joined: 11 Feb 2009

    love_lovin' wrote:

    Sorry LoveHoney Jess, I know you closed the original thread but needed to add this I felt.

    Original Thread: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/sex-tips-and-talk/1060188-sex-toys-on-holiday-dubai-took-them/

    ==== FOLLOWED UP

    I've needed to at least know if I've made a mistake by not seeing the line that states - explicitly or not, that such related items aren't permitted.

    I've called and spoke to the UAE Embassy in London, in short, they're too shy to write about it, so the only way would be to ring them up and find out. Now maybe it's me, but in the age of the internet where information is made availalbe, calling an Embassy isn't the first things that springs to mind, especially when you have government websites - why didn't our gov write it?

    it's a shame that the 'understanding' they expect from tourist isn't practiced in informing non-muslim visitors coming in to invest money in their country. The english language has a variety of words that can be strung together to discreetly inform tourists of such items or related - in my opinion.

    I've got to ring my insurance company but their booklets says nothing about seizing and so not holidng my breath.

    £300 of fun gone all becuase I have to assume to know

    I'd also expect that for them, they hardly expect many people to pack sex toys when they go on holiday.

    Whilst it's sad that you lost your toys, I find it hard to be sympathetic because whilst you say you looked to see where you stood, you couldn't have looked very hard. A google search of "Can I take sex toys to Dubai?" brought me back several different sites which all said that it was illegal.

    In fact, if you look at the Dubai Customs site, it gives you a list of everything that is permitted to bring into the country. I would have assumed that as 'Sex Toys' or anything of that nature are not listed on the PERMITTED list, I would have played it safe and thought "Well perhaps they aren't permitted...".

    Again, sorry for your loss... but I would say that there is plenty of information out there.

    1411044736
    Briona87 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1053
    • Joined: 29 Jun 2014

    a) As I have already tried to explain, people should not assume that people in different parts of the world think and act in the same way as themselves, stuff we see as "proper" and "normal" (or even "(un)lawful") may NOT be seen as such in different cultures.

    b) Several years ago while I was visiting Nothern Ireland, a guy accidentally bumped into me on the Giant's Causeway, having slipped on those basalt columns that are sometimes beneath the sealevel and are therefore extremely slippery. Thankfully, I didn't fall into the sea myself but my camera dipped (as I held it by its strap) in for maybe half a second... Of course, seawater is grand when it comes to rusting, and obviously, despite my best cleaning efforts, some components rusted within just a few days. The only thing that could have been salvaged was the memory card. Again, a loss of an equipment worth 300-400 GBP. Unpleasant, yes, I was quite angry, yes, but accidents and unpleasant things just happen, don't they?

    Bottom line: When it comes to a country like the UAE, be glad you didn't get arrested and get over the matter.

    1411045285
    love_lovin' [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Captain
    • Posts: 31
    • Joined: 6 Feb 2012

    Sum sub, I'm just updating a thread I wasn't able to update, as a close friend died tragically and so I was consumed by a 'real problem'. I appreciated peoples input and that is all that was after. I just wanted to be clear that I didn't miss anything, and I don't believe I have - anyone can post on the internet, so it would have been nice to have some info on trusted sources.

    Thanks for all the input people, appreciated

    Better start building my wishlist

    1411045314
    Lovehoney - Jess Wilde [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1953
    • Joined: 30 Nov 2012

    Just to clarify - the only reason the other thread was closed was due to the blatantly boarderline racist comments which were surfacing.

    The topic of the thread is absolutely fine to discuss.

    In fact, I'm glad you've re-started it love_lovin' as I did feel awful about having to close the whole thread due to a few narrow-minded people.

    Hopefully everyone can behave a little more maturely this time.

    1411045889
    love_lovin' [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Captain
    • Posts: 31
    • Joined: 6 Feb 2012

    Thanks Jess

    1411046690
    FillMeUpButtercup [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Brigadier
    • Posts: 107
    • Joined: 11 Dec 2013

    DavidB1986 wrote:

    I'd also expect that for them, they hardly expect many people to pack sex toys when they go on holiday.

    Whilst it's sad that you lost your toys, I find it hard to be sympathetic because whilst you say you looked to see where you stood, you couldn't have looked very hard. A google search of "Can I take sex toys to Dubai?" brought me back several different sites which all said that it was illegal.

    In fact, if you look at the Dubai Customs site, it gives you a list of everything that is permitted to bring into the country. I would have assumed that as 'Sex Toys' or anything of that nature are not listed on the PERMITTED list, I would have played it safe and thought "Well perhaps they aren't permitted...".

    Again, sorry for your loss... but I would say that there is plenty of information out there.

    I agree with you. Not just because of the points you mentioned but also, who takes their entire collection with them? Especially if it's worth so much? What if your luggage got damaged or lost? Or stolen? There are so many scenarios that could go wrong here.

    Edit: Reading some of the comments on the other thread makes me sick. Yuck.

    1411047190
    love_lovin' [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Captain
    • Posts: 31
    • Joined: 6 Feb 2012

    It's only becuase we don't get to use them openly at home and previously, based on the info we had and having no problems with either Turkey or Morocco I wasn't expecting any issues.

    I'm more upset the way they handled it, didn't state it wasn't permitted on the offset, they took the time to look down on us, sepearte me from my wife and not even talk to me when I asked what was happening (as they took her away into another room), then went away and giggled and looked down in disgust with their colleagues. Finally, they took them out after they were confesgated infront where people could view them. It was emabarssing and at the time we were scared, wondering what was going on so didn't really feel like we could do or say anything other than nod our heads and sign whatever paper they asked us to.

    1411047791
    Kinky&Curvy [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 855
    • Joined: 21 Aug 2013

    Cheap&Easy wrote:

    Can someone please adjust the post with "Europeans shouldn't assume" I find that quite offensive. :(

    I've tried using the report button just flag it up but it's not working for me.

    Same!
    It's quite rude and comes across as if it's said with distaste.

    I'm british!! A yorkshire lass :D

    1411048739
    FillMeUpButtercup [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Brigadier
    • Posts: 107
    • Joined: 11 Dec 2013

    Cheap&Easy wrote:

    Can someone please adjust the post with "Europeans shouldn't assume" I find that quite offensive. :(

    I've tried using the report button just flag it up but it's not working for me.

    While they may have worded it a little badly, I don't think the message is wrong at all. A comment regarding this particular subject (either in this thread or the closed one, I don't remember) mentioned that they go to -those countries- as guests and to spend money so they should be respected and treated well. But the truth is, when people like us, who obviously have it good in their home country, go on holiday, we become the guests and we are to follow the rules of whatever country we are in. People can be such hypocrites sometimes! When they are visiting a country it is: we are putting money in the economy ,we are guests, respect us, treat us how we think we ought to be treated. But once it comes down to guests in their own country it is: they should follow our rules, they're in our country, etc etc.

    Now I'm not saying you are like that but I think that's what that comment is pointing at. And yes, they were a little negative using Europeans in particular but the truth is.. Nobody from any part of the world should travel to a different part of the world and expect the same customs and values as where they are from.

    I mean you wouldn't go to the Netherlands and run to the police station when you see someone smoke weed right? You wouldn't go on holiday to France and get mad when signs aren't in English. Then why would you expect other countries to do something in a particular way just because it's done like that in your home country. Sure, in this particular case I think most people would agree that the law is a little silly at best, but that doesn't change the fact that it is the law in that particular country.

    Again, this is not meant against you personally but I'm getting a little frustrated at the fact that people don't seem to realise this. Although that's more the case in the previous thread.

    1411049100
    Kinky&Curvy [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 855
    • Joined: 21 Aug 2013

    FillMeUpButtercup wrote:

    Cheap&Easy wrote:

    Can someone please adjust the post with "Europeans shouldn't assume" I find that quite offensive. :(

    I've tried using the report button just flag it up but it's not working for me.

    Again, this is not meant against you personally but I'm getting a little frustrated at the fact that people don't seem to realise this. Although that's more the case in the previous thread.

    I think many understand that, especially seen as everyone seems to have pointed it out plenty of times.
    However just like the last thread that got closed theres seems to be some obvious distasteful comments towards others and their nationalities.

    1411050034
    Lovehoney - Jess Wilde [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1953
    • Joined: 30 Nov 2012

    You guys and gals do all realise that Briona87 is European, right?

    Therefore it's pretty safe to say she's including herself when she refers to 'Europeans'.

    For the sake of saving arguments I've changed it to 'people need to stop assuming', though.

    1411050210
    B52 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Lieutenant Colonel
    • Posts: 88
    • Joined: 12 Jul 2011

    Following on from previous posts : taking potentially prohibited items into any country is a risky bussiness as things can very quickly get out of hand when you are faced with different cultures, languages, religions etc. If I was in your shoes in Dubai, I would be thanking my lucky stars that it was at the airport that they found the toys and somewhere less "international" where you may have ended up being detained and even prossecuted. You may recall the episode of the western couple caught fornicating on a beach at night - if I'm not mistaken they were send to serve time in a prison cell but had that been in some other stricter countries, the woman could have been publically flogged or even stoned - seriously folks, never assume to know anything when travelling abroad.

    1411050655
    Kittyondrugz [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 441
    • Joined: 18 Apr 2014

    B52 wrote:

    Following on from previous posts : taking potentially prohibited items into any country is a risky bussiness as things can very quickly get out of hand when you are faced with different cultures, languages, religions etc. If I was in your shoes in Dubai, I would be thanking my lucky stars that it was at the airport that they found the toys and somewhere less "international" where you may have ended up being detained and even prossecuted. You may recall the episode of the western couple caught fornicating on a beach at night - if I'm not mistaken they were send to serve time in a prison cell but had that been in some other stricter countries, the woman could have been publically flogged or even stoned - seriously folks, never assume to know anything when travelling abroad.

    So true.There are many different cultures and that's why when travelling,a person should be very,very well informed of the laws and cultural and religious differences.

    1411051779
    love_lovin' [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Captain
    • Posts: 31
    • Joined: 6 Feb 2012

    I'm starting to feeel that I'm being blamed for being ignorant and ignoring previous post replies - which really isn't the case. My post was only to share my experience and to ask if anywhere where I'd may have missed the official statement that someone here knows about - in summary there isn't.

    Even if the UK govement travel advice website said no sexual material and/or items that would have been cool.

    Anyway, I thank you all for you input but feel this thread side stepping away from what it was intended for and don't want to feel any worse than I already do.

    LL

    Thread closed

    This thread is closed, so no new messages can be posted.