• The Duplicate Thread Issue - Please Read!

    1285924791
    Lovehoney - Alice [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 1326
    • Joined: 19 Jul 2010

    Hi everyone,

    There have been so many threads recently turn into a discussion about duplicate threads and so we feel the need to clarify our view. And that is:

    We don't want the forum to be boring!

    So...

    1) we don't want the same threads repeated day in, day out

    AND

    2) we want new people, new threads and new perspectives to be valid and welcome.

    The LoveHoney Forum Rules have been reworked again to lighten the heavy-handedness that was present in the old rules about searching for threads. The advice is now:

    "Have a search for previous threads before starting your own and if there was a recent discussion on the topic, bump that thread rather than starting a new one."

    Therefore, people should not be redirected to previous threads, unless the topic was covered in the past month. Linking to a thread with lots of info is fine, but not when the advice is that they should have posted on that thread instead.

    We hope this will make the forum friendlier for newbies and yet still fresh for oldies.

    If a thread is 2 or 3 years old, and was last posted on six months ago we believe it's fair game for a new thread, for new faces and fresh perspectives from all who wish to contribute.

    Many of the older threads are now mostly made up from people who left these shores some time ago and are sometimes over 4 and a half years old. An internet eternity.

    Improvements are in the pipeline - a better search facility for one, and hopefully being able to link to specific posts.

    Therefore, if you wish to link to a piece of your own advice that you gave on a different thread, you could say "Have a look at what I posted before... [link to single post that was found through the easy search] and I think that might help you. Also in your situation I would probably... x, y, z." So previous advice is linked to, but the new person's thread is still valid.

    We want to be as welcoming as possible to newbies - they're usually super excited and often don't know better. At the same time we want to value the experience of oldies as well as their fun and friendliness.

    We know that there is a HUGE amount of advice and knowledge on the forum and believe a sticky with frequently discussed topics would be useful. Not to force people to post on, but to be available easily for everyone to access as we know the search is iffy at best.

    If you want to comment and/or suggest helpful threads to add to a sticky please suggest them.

    Here's a couple to kick the list off:

    Anal sex for beginners http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/anal-sex-toys/362-anal-sex-for-beginners-any-advice/

    Female ejaculation - how to do it http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-tips-and-advice/9-female-ejaculation/page-21/

    1285925055
    chels18 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Brigadier
    • Posts: 216
    • Joined: 18 May 2010

    Sounds good Alice! I think the new rule will work well!

    I'm off to read that Female Ejaculation thread - been trying to do it for AGES!

    :) x

    1285939073
    Wizzie86 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 759
    • Joined: 19 Jan 2007

    Are lovehoney going to delete some of the older threads that they feel should not be resurrected? Or lock any they feel are informative but shouldn't be posted in?

    1285939497
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3406
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    Thanks Alice - clarification beneficial.

    Ability to link previous posts would be great - also, would we be able to search posts of a particular member if looking for a specific piece of previous advice?

    I could make a list as long as my arm, but I'll try to keep it relevant...

    Fun, chit chatty or off topic threads:

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/82190-when-did-you-last-have-sex/

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/179059-i-could-do-with/

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/115463-what-are-you-grateful-for-today/

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/219718-things-that-confuse-me/

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/153864-when-did-you-last-have-something-in-your/

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/lingerie-and-clothing/53829-what-undies-are-you-wearing-today/

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/99535-talk-nerdy-to-me/

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/37519-whats-your-sex-toy-count/

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-tips-and-advice/95070-love-is/

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/269310-your-biggest-worry-for-today/

    Useful advice/good question:

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/9771-piercings/

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/322-having-a-threesome/

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/130760-finishing-up-so-to-speak/

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-tips-and-advice/86664-sex-tip-that-changed-your-life/

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/138-men-who-view-porn-in-a-committed-relationship/

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/61052-i-am-a-blowjob-addict/

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sexual-health/12893-gum-clinic-any-experiences/

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sexual-health/341-i-wanna-be-bare-down-there/

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/123045-sex-injuries/

    Recycling:

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/vibrators/259228-adopt-a-toy-part-3/

    *insert new thread on new amnesty scheme when it's done?*

    Newbies:

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/introduce-yourself/19119-newbies-initiation-test/

    Feel good:

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/121242-we-love-nexas/ (though would it be possible to chance the title to include everyone!)

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/270928-hugs-all-around/

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/163204-i-got-a-pressie/

    Tried to pick really popular threads that circulate often

    Adx

    1285940097
    Lovehoney - Alice [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 1326
    • Joined: 19 Jul 2010

    Wizzie86 wrote:

    Are lovehoney going to delete some of the older threads that they feel should not be resurrected? Or lock any they feel are informative but shouldn't be posted in?

    Hadn't thought of it, but if it makes sense then maybe? I've seen other forums where threads get automatically locked on their first birthday (by the computer)

    Alicia D'amore - enhanced search by keyword, user, thread title etc would be the dream scenario! We're in the process of finding out what we can do and how we're going to do it. Thanks for the list of popular threads, I'll leave this over the weekend and start a comprehensive sticky up next week. (Oh, and thread name change is high on my moderation wishlist!)

    1285945882
    SEXYGET 69 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1787
    • Joined: 1 Dec 2008

    Thankyou Alice. Set the precedent! SG x

    1285949285
    Seduced [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 994
    • Joined: 15 Aug 2010

    Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

    Hmm. It's a good start... I feel something is missing though...

    I'll say it for you....

    Moderation.

    1285949472
    Ilovemyman [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 614
    • Joined: 7 Dec 2009

    Yes sounds good to me, i think all fourums have repeat threads especially when there are lots of new members, but totally agree with what you said Alice (likes)

    1285954221
    MissTerryCleavage [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 893
    • Joined: 1 Feb 2010

    Sounds like it should work, I guess time will tell....

    This squirting thread is good too http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/1350-squirting/

    Am I right in thinking then that it will be one sticky, kind of like a FAQ's, with all the links in? That's what I had put in the suggestions thread, it works well on other forums I'm a member of. Will there be a mention in the rules that people should check the thread out first?

    Altho am not sure bout the month thing, for example in the squirting thread, it's all relevant but it often goes a few weeks with no-one posting in it, then a flurry, but if we're saying, over a month it's ok to start a new one, loads of good info could be lost? Or am I reading that wrong? I have had a strenuous day at work, haha! I do agree on a sort of time limit, just not sure if a month is it?

    1285960123
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3406
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    MissTerryCleavage wrote:

    Altho am not sure bout the month thing, for example in the squirting thread, it's all relevant but it often goes a few weeks with no-one posting in it, then a flurry, but if we're saying, over a month it's ok to start a new one, loads of good info could be lost? Or am I reading that wrong? I have had a strenuous day at work, haha! I do agree on a sort of time limit, just not sure if a month is it?

    Yeah this is my only issue - there are threads in my list that don't come up every month, but they do come up regularly and are always really popular when they do pop up - I'd hate to lost that with a month rule...but if that's the rule, I'll just have to hope they'll still pop up from time to time anyway!

    I don't like the idea of closing things after a year, somethings have been cropping up for years and will always recirculate, it'd be horrible not to be able to reply in threads many of us love!

    Adx

    1285966169
    Wizzie86 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 759
    • Joined: 19 Jan 2007

    LoveHoney - Alice wrote:

    Wizzie86 wrote:

    Are lovehoney going to delete some of the older threads that they feel should not be resurrected? Or lock any they feel are informative but shouldn't be posted in?

    Hadn't thought of it, but if it makes sense then maybe? I've seen other forums where threads get automatically locked on their first birthday (by the computer)

    I think that it would be much easier to find threads if a few of the older ones that are not relavent anymore could be deleted and locking older threads that should be kept makes sense to me,,,

    1285971356
    WandA [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 6178
    • Joined: 28 Nov 2007

    I think a month is nothing given this forum is fairly small and much advice will be specialised. In my opinion it seems a bit silly to have plenty of not just similar threads, but identical threads floating around. Some threads simply will never need two, such as this:

    http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/82190-when-did-you-last-have-sex/page-176/

    The problem I have with this way is that it means plenty of previous great information and advice will just be lost in the mass of new threads, I think I'm unlikely to post info I've already posted before if it's out there but that information will now require sifting through 4x as many threads to find. I think it's more likely to kill discussion rather than aid it in my opinion. Zombie threads are likely to become less acceptable thus losing tons of great posts (and potential posts) from members past and present for future debate.

    I personally don't like this way, I don't see how resurrecting new threads is unwelcoming, I think quite the opposite in fact. O well. I hope it works! Damn... Now I feel like the negative sod again...

    1285975638
    WandA [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 6178
    • Joined: 28 Nov 2007

    Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

    No need to feel like a negative sod.. I think I agree with your post.

    Having several threads about a similar or identical thing is rather irritating as if I need to quote back on a post I did previously, or redirect someone to an old peice of golden advice, then I can be looking through several different threads all about the same thing.

    An example is a piece of advice that Lubyanka posted AGGGEEESSS ago about strap-ons. I used to redirect to that post quite a lot for people looking for that advice in a new thread, and now there are so many threads that I think I've lost that particular thread with the great advice completely now.. :(

    I just feel like I'm fighting against the tide. I'm one of the oldies who wants it to how it was, it worked but a few people didn't like those rules and things are changing.

    I know things are changing with the intention of being more inclusive but I'm not sure it will work or was warrented. If you don't enjoy the forums you don't stick around. I think a few people are now considering that 'cos something is missing.

    1285977107
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3406
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    WandA wrote:

    Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

    No need to feel like a negative sod.. I think I agree with your post.

    Having several threads about a similar or identical thing is rather irritating as if I need to quote back on a post I did previously, or redirect someone to an old peice of golden advice, then I can be looking through several different threads all about the same thing.

    An example is a piece of advice that Lubyanka posted AGGGEEESSS ago about strap-ons. I used to redirect to that post quite a lot for people looking for that advice in a new thread, and now there are so many threads that I think I've lost that particular thread with the great advice completely now.. :(

    I just feel like I'm fighting against the tide. I'm one of the oldies who wants it to how it was, it worked but a few people didn't like those rules and things are changing.

    I know things are changing with the intention of being more inclusive but I'm not sure it will work or was warrented. If you don't enjoy the forums you don't stick around. I think a few people are now considering that 'cos something is missing.

    I agree *waves hands*

    I think things are heading down hill (not placing blame with anyone - especially not Alice, you've been amazing at trying to please everyone!! I'll sing your praises 'til the cows come home) and I can see many people not sticking around.

    I hope I'm proved wrong....but I'm doubtful that *some* of the changes will help...some are well needed, but there are a few that I'm a bit worried about!

    Adx

    1285977787
    Nymeria [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1000
    • Joined: 26 Mar 2010

    I don't think it's as simple as "if you don't enjoy the forums you don't stick around". LH are trying to be more welcoming to the influx of new members expecially those seeking advice. I don't think it's asking for too much to go with the flow. I agree completely that new advice isn't needed when older threads answer them perfectly and I can understand why some of you may be annoyed at the constant duplicate threads especially if you've taken part in them.

    These new rules just make it so that the forum community are more open and welcoming to those that are perhaps somewhat nervous in taking the plunge and take part in this wonderful community. It's a slow changing and progressive process but you should feel proud to be part of it.

    The "oldies" can be quite intimidating to the "newbies". I don't really like those terms- it just forms a "us and them" vibe when it should be united. Sorry if I come across harsh that wasn't the tone in this post at all (if it does seem like that). Just wanted to give some input and another aspect. =P

    xXx

    1285979461
    WandA [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 6178
    • Joined: 28 Nov 2007

    x X x wrote:

    I don't think it's as simple as "if you don't enjoy the forums you don't stick around". LH are trying to be more welcoming to the influx of new members expecially those seeking advice. I don't think it's asking for too much to go with the flow. I agree completely that new advice isn't needed when older threads answer them perfectly and I can understand why some of you may be annoyed at the constant duplicate threads especially if you've taken part in them.

    These new rules just make it so that the forum community are more open and welcoming to those that are perhaps somewhat nervous in taking the plunge and take part in this wonderful community. It's a slow changing and progressive process but you should feel proud to be part of it.

    The "oldies" can be quite intimidating to the "newbies". I don't really like those terms- it just forms a "us and them" vibe when it should be united. Sorry if I come across harsh that wasn't the tone in this post at all (if it does seem like that). Just wanted to give some input and another aspect. =P

    xXx

    It's certainly not harsh, it's a useful post that makes some excellent points and helps point out points I should clarify as they were obviously worded badly!

    I didn't make this clear, "if you don't enjoy the forums you don't stick around". This is my feeling on the situation, I've started to enjoy the forum less and feel more like a kill joy than help, if it continues and I don't feel particularly helpful or enjoy posting anymore then I see no further point in clogging the place up. If I don't like how things pan out then there's no point me hanging around to the detriment of both. I know a few people are considering this because it's not great for anyone if lots of people are no longer enjoying it but are here through little more than sentiment, although I enjoyed how things did work I wouldn't expect them to be altered to fit around me so I'd rather leave if I wasn't enjoying it.

    See, I've always felt the old guard were incredibly warm and welcoming, although the changes in forum behaviour tested that warmness and trust towards new members in my opinion. I don't really wish to go back down that road though!

    I know it can sometimes look like 'us' and 'them' but the rules did work and I believe they still would (many newbies used to slot right in by being friendly, respectful and engaging), I don't really see why failure to observe the rules is seen as pretty much OK now and pointing that out is almost a taboo (or at least you feel like you're the one doing something wrong), in my opinion the rules are now being altered to fit the type of people who were incapable of following the previous rules. I think the idea, to welcome newbies is a great idea, I'm just not sure I agree it's the best way to do it, in my opinion it just leads a watering/dumbing down of the forum and the great debates that used to pop up all the time. I think it encourages driveby Charlies and discourages the people who want some intelligent chat.

    I'm being ranty again. Damn.

    1285980748
    diamonds [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 714
    • Joined: 14 Aug 2007

    I can't write a huge reply as I'm on the iPhone so forgive me if this is worded badly.

    But I just want to say what about this being a welcoming place for older members of the forums, the members who have stuck with the forums for years and have welcomed many many people and helped so many as well along with being able to follow the rules?

    To me it's all about newbies now and not really giving a stuff about the people who have been here for so long and given so much.

    I feel it's being made less enjoyable for us with all the concteation on new people where 75% of the time they font stick around after a few months.

    I don't like how the forums have become and that's why I don't post often in here, if you speak up to ask what's happend or for rules to be applied your made out to be the bad person when all tour trying to do is make this a greate and enjoyable place to be apart of again.

    Diamonds

    1285982178
    Alicia D'amore [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 3406
    • Joined: 2 Feb 2008

    I have to say, I'm quite offended that people think we're not welcoming - I make an effort to post in pretty much every single intro thread, I'll direct newbies if they're lost, I'll help them find useful information and give gentle nudges to read the rules - I couldn't be more welcoming and I absolutely think most of the other "oldies" are the same.

    I feel the older members are being shit on a bit here and I'm getting rather wound up at being made to feel guilty after putting so much effort, time, care and thought into this place and its members. (xXx - this is a build up over a few weeks and is nothing to do with you, your points were valid and well made though there was one sentence a little poorly worded at the end but you apologised for that so please, please don't take my post personally - it's just about this idea that "oldies" aren't welcoming)

    It's such a shame because I adore LH as a company, I adore the people who work there, I adore many members of the forums and adore many of the past threads.....

    I don't feel welcome to give my opinions anymore.

    Adx

    1285983915
    Wizzie86 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 759
    • Joined: 19 Jan 2007

    I was debating leaving not long ago because I felt pushed out, unwelcome and unvalued as a few people on here know. I agree with a lot of both WandA and Alicia's points. I think that the duplicate threads issue is a sore point partly because when we were new members it was drilled into us that you don't create duplicates without a reason and someone would always point you in the right direction. It feels very strange to do a complete 180 and as WandA suggests, change the rules because a few new members don't like the old ones. I'm all for going with the flow and changing things for the better but many older members don't want to post the same information over and over again. In the end you end up not posting at all as there is rarely anything original. That said... I think sticking the basic threads (squirting/begginers toys/anal beginners) is a good way to stop these at least being repeated too often and fingers crossed that the new system works as well as the old one used to! X

    1286007094
    Nymeria [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1000
    • Joined: 26 Mar 2010

    Alicia D'amore wrote:

    I have to say, I'm quite offended that people think we're not welcoming - I make an effort to post in pretty much every single intro thread, I'll direct newbies if they're lost, I'll help them find useful information and give gentle nudges to read the rules - I couldn't be more welcoming and I absolutely think most of the other "oldies" are the same.

    I feel the older members are being shit on a bit here and I'm getting rather wound up at being made to feel guilty after putting so much effort, time, care and thought into this place and its members. (xXx - this is a build up over a few weeks and is nothing to do with you, your points were valid and well made though there was one sentence a little poorly worded at the end but you apologised for that so please, please don't take my post personally - it's just about this idea that "oldies" aren't welcoming)

    It's such a shame because I adore LH as a company, I adore the people who work there, I adore many members of the forums and adore many of the past threads.....

    I don't feel welcome to give my opinions anymore.

    Adx

    I didn't know whether to quote this or WandA's.. I'm sorry if my wording put you off- it probably came across harsher than I meant. I don't think you guys are unwelcoming.. at all. I'm more of a lurker (on the boards) and any information I do need I've always searched for it and took things on board.

    You all are valuable members of this community and you can clearly see why across the boards. Also LH shows their appreciation via the great relationship you guys have.

    I don't think LH adapted the rules a little to go against you but for there to be more interaction and fresh ideas. For example- a nice lengthy thread that you all can look back on with your experiences- I think for newer members it might inspire them to post about thier similiar experiences in a new thread especially If the previous thread was from a couple of years ago. Yes, the information in that thread might have been fresh in your minds and useful but it's not the case for the recent member etc. And yes, Adx, I have seen your very helpful posts on how someone in need is directed to some info in past threads. I don't see anything wrong with that and it always has its relevancy.

    Ideas are always changing- so are your views and opinions. I think that's what this new rule is trying to portray not how your opinions aren't welcome.. So please, don't feel like you have to be guilty or feel like you're speaking out of place/ranting. I understand how you'd want to kinda "protect" a place that you love if you feel like it may go downhill. =[ *hugs*

    Also, as for WandA's point- I think everyone that joins this community should be friendly, respectful, and engaging including new members but there will always be some that aren't.. I don't think the rules are preferential to them just somewhat more looser (if that makes sense) therefore making things a little easier for newer members in general.

    Thread closed

    This thread is closed, so no new messages can be posted.