• Wait! We think you’re in the US - Lovehoney.com is a better site for you.
    Shop there and get 10% off!
    United States Flag
    Go to Lovehoney.com
  1. The Great Big Suggestions Thread

WandA [sign in to see picture]

4. Fair enough on that D, we disagree on a definition of 'adult' though, I think that is very much in the mind. I don't have issues with it but others do and it is unfair for members to have to behave in a certain way through fear. I do also think it is unfair to thrown people off now though...

8. Errr.... I don't really see the point, this is seperate I guess for the OA staff. I get what you mean but I don't see a specific need for it, perhaps just a new forum like how we have 'Sex talk', 'Vibrators' and 'Erotic Fiction' now. I still think it's probable that an off topic chatter place will dominate over the other boards though.

9. As I said, we don't know who they are going to correctly. Some people don't bother posting when they get a tester and then you're then likely to only be aware of the people posting it in the forum, who of course are forum users and of a certain personality to want to tell people. I think you may be subscribing to a confirmation bias. It's a bit like me saying well everyone I know never breaks the law. It may appear true because I will only be aware of the lawbreaking if they do if they tell me or are caught. I'm not saying some people should get one every week, I just think you may be exaggerating the situation.

If what you are trying to say is the testers shouldn't be sent based on sheer quantity of reviews/posts then I completely agree! Some people write 10 very simple 'Yeah, I came, it was awesome lol' reviews to some members excellent 1. I suggested recently with the review of the month comp format where we get to choose the winner that the winner should get a prize and perhaps the shortlisted entries should get a tester as they have proved capable and it would be nice to do.

So that's my suggestion then. In addition for the winner of review of the month the shortlisted reviewers for that month should get a tester as a thank you, recognition and they're known to be good reviewers!

merry cherry [sign in to see picture]

Those are some excellent points! And also good amendments! I agree with a combination od D and W for point 9.

9) i think the tester items should just go out based on peoples review writting skills not on how active they are on the forums (again as this has been leading to people trying to get on the most active list leave useless post to get the counts up) and there should be a roation system as to who gets what as lately seems like a few of the same people keep on getting testers.

Yeah, there is a sudden influx of people just writing rubbish to get their rating up and i think it could have contributed to the recent troubles everyones talking about of things going a bit down hill with regards to people rule breaking and not abiding by rules etc. Seems people are just coming on here to get free stuff to review and not to contribute in a positive way. It's breaking down the atmosphere in here a bit by the sounds of what people are starting to post about.

Also i have been a regular on here for quite a while, posting and reviewing and trying to help out where i can. I have never ever had anything sent to review. Yet some people, at least the people who post about it seem to have had loads. It's not like there aren't many people to choose from and i'm sure some people who get things to review may not post about it but there does seem to be a bit of a clique forming of those chosen to review. I'm not thinking it's a bad thing to have reliable people doing reviews. It does seem that the regular people getting the free review products are doing a good job with reviewing but i do think that it could be spread out just a little bit more as it is getting quite noticeable to those who come on the forums regularly.

In the same breath i do think that people who deserve it should get more opportunity to review than someone who is just beefing up the forums for the sake of it and who end up watering down the content or causing offence.

shellyboo [sign in to see picture]

diamonds wrote:

need to make clear what i meant i think.

when i said it should have its own section i just mant that the genreal chit chat thread and games should have there own space togther away from the other parts of the forum, like how this bit of the forum is apart from the other.

not to be a section where you can ake a post about knitting or anything. purely just to house the goodmorning/afternoon/evening, games and the introduction threads.

This is actually an excellent idea - as someone who doesn't take part in the word association games etc, or off-topic chat apart from Good morning/Good afternoon/Good night; I'd love these to be separated. If you look at the Sex & Sex Toy forums overview, there's 5 OT threads on the first page, which isn't ideal, at least for me! :)

(this is the page I'm on about, btw: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/)

merry cherry [sign in to see picture]

I'm not really bothered about it. If you dont want to use a particular thread then just dont write in it? I guess thats a bit simplistic but its not like there are loads of games? I only know of 1?except for the other alphabetical version of the word association game which hasnt been played for a while?I quite like that it's there so you can do something whilst waiting for someone to reply for something you've written about in another thread. It lets you know who is currently active aswell. I don't really think its a major thing?

Sorry, the way ive written that sounds really dismissive and i don't mean it like that...i guess i'm not really understanding what the problem is? And it's hard to get tone accross in text! I'm actually questioning rather than arrogantly putting my hand up in a 'talk to the hand' kind of manner if that makes sense?!

diamonds [sign in to see picture]

merry cherry wrote:

Those are some excellent points! And also good amendments! I agree with a combination od D and W for point 9.

9) i think the tester items should just go out based on peoples review writting skills not on how active they are on the forums (again as this has been leading to people trying to get on the most active list leave useless post to get the counts up) and there should be a roation system as to who gets what as lately seems like a few of the same people keep on getting testers.

Yeah, there is a sudden influx of people just writing rubbish to get their rating up and i think it could have contributed to the recent troubles everyones talking about of things going a bit down hill with regards to people rule breaking and not abiding by rules etc. Seems people are just coming on here to get free stuff to review and not to contribute in a positive way. It's breaking down the atmosphere in here a bit by the sounds of what people are starting to post about.

Also i have been a regular on here for quite a while, posting and reviewing and trying to help out where i can. I have never ever had anything sent to review. Yet some people, at least the people who post about it seem to have had loads. It's not like there aren't many people to choose from and i'm sure some people who get things to review may not post about it but there does seem to be a bit of a clique forming of those chosen to review. I'm not thinking it's a bad thing to have reliable people doing reviews. It does seem that the regular people getting the free review products are doing a good job with reviewing but i do think that it could be spread out just a little bit more as it is getting quite noticeable to those who come on the forums regularly.

In the same breath i do think that people who deserve it should get more opportunity to review than someone who is just beefing up the forums for the sake of it and who end up watering down the content or causing offence.

pretty much what i was trying to say about point 9 for me but put alot better :-)

4. Fair enough on that D, we disagree on a definition of 'adult' though, I think that is very much in the mind. I don't have issues with it but others do and it is unfair for members to have to behave in a certain way through fear. I do also think it is unfair to thrown people off now though...

its not my defination as to what an adult is though, its what the law tells us, you are not an adult untill you are 18 years of age.

9. As I said, we don't know who they are going to correctly. Some people don't bother posting when they get a tester and then you're then likely to only be aware of the people posting it in the forum, who of course are forum users and of a certain personality to want to tell people. I think you may be subscribing to a confirmation bias. It's a bit like me saying well everyone I know never breaks the law. It may appear true because I will only be aware of the lawbreaking if they do if they tell me or are caught. I'm not saying some people should get one every week, I just think you may be exaggerating the situation.

If what you are trying to say is the testers shouldn't be sent based on sheer quantity of reviews/posts then I completely agree! Some people write 10 very simple 'Yeah, I came, it was awesome lol' reviews to some members excellent 1. I suggested recently with the review of the month comp format where we get to choose the winner that the winner should get a prize and perhaps the shortlisted entries should get a tester as they have proved capable and it would be nice to do.

So that's my suggestion then. In addition for the winner of review of the month the shortlisted reviewers for that month should get a tester as a thank you, recognition and they're known to be good reviewers!

i do not think im exagerating the situation at all, merry cheery has so said so herself that you can infact see a clicque forming of people who do always seem to be getting review products on every round of testing, so by having a roation system it makes it fairer on giving other people the chance to recive the testers and write reviews.

Dxx

Rowan [sign in to see picture]

I think, Shellyboo that the word association threads, at least initially were based around connecting suggestive/ flirtacious words and phrases. Thus they were not off-topic as such but a different type of format to the prose most commonly used. This was followed by an A-Z one as a greater challenge to the imaginative when the original really did go off topic.

Arguing for an over 18 rule on the grounds of the term 'adult' would be very difficult in Scotland as despite the English and UN definitions of <18's as children, in the eyes of Scottish law one is an adult at 16, thus the Gretna green type situations. 17 year olds here could legitimately be prosecuted for statutory rape with a 15 year old girlfriend. Yes I do think that the age limits make little sense at times- with the classic example of voting age V joining up at 16. Realistically an age limit on the forum would be impossible to enforce due to the annonymity afforded by the medium of internet and in all cases one is forced to trust the integrity of a user/ customer.

As for the reviews (and I owe one at the moment, will add in the morning) I cannot in conscience write a review that lacks clarity or thought, particularly if this is for a tester- and no, I haven't had many-as testing implies analysis of results and consideration. Added to which non-informative 'guides' irritate me if I look to recommendations, preferences differ, I want to know why something was 'brilliant' or 'awful' and aim to provide a constructive and satisfactory review for products as I assume that if someone is bothering to read through reviews that is what they seek. However it seems illogical to give only to those who post on the forum as not everyone that writes useful or clear reviews will use this facility.

diamonds wrote:

its not my defination as to what an adult is though, its what the law tells us, you are not an adult untill you are 18 years of age.

I did say if there are no legal issues with having 16 year olds. If the legal definition of adult is not required to be on a site such as LH and it is only a matter of policy then the legal definition is irrelevant and it is a choice based on the good of the forums, as I've said I personally feel excluding mature honest 16/17 year olds is unfair. There is nothing stopping them joining and pretending to be 18. I'd rather the policy was based on suitabilty, maturity, rather than a blanket coverage by age.

i do not think im exagerating the situation at all, merry cheery has so said so herself that you can infact see a clicque forming of people who do always seem to be getting review products on every round of testing, so by having a roation system it makes it fairer on giving other people the chance to recive the testers and write reviews.

I just think throughout the recent unrest threads you've been a bit unnecessarily harsh on the LH team, there are some new things that have happened that I'm not too fussed on but I understand it's not the fault of the staff, some situations look like they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. OK some people get two testers in a row it happens. Lots of people won't bother mentioning what they got if they did get a tester, for every person you hear about getting a tester you may not hear about 2/10/100 more more testers going to different people, we don't really have a perspective of it.

I think the recent introduction of the OA WLs was a great idea, so they can send testers to people they know actually want the product but to know about it you really had to be on the forums, they implemented a really great idea and change to the review system and now it seems they're getting indirect criticism for it because people are getting those testers, what if only one person has that WL'd but they had a tester last month?

I'm sorry if this all just sounds a bit harsh, it's not meant to be, you just have quite a strong direct character so it's hard not to address it directly.

Dxx

BashfulBabe [sign in to see picture]

I think part of the reason behind requiring people to be active on the forum is for the lack of one of the recent suggestions of having a "no testers right now" option: if people are actively posting, then there's less risk of sending something to someone whose relationship status may have changed, or might have moved since they last wrote a review, or even are just too busy at the time. So unless testers can only be sent out to people a day or two after they last posted a review, the only way currently to ensure their details and availability are up to date is if they're posting about it.

That said, I wasn't aware that it was based around a certain post count. I was under the impression that you were only required to be 'active', not one of the top ten on the front page or summat. I have only gotten one tester, and that was when I'd only clocked up about 50 posts, so I was far from 'winning' the post count competition, I was just active enough to show that I was available and up to date.

The other thing is that while it does seem like the same people are getting chosen a lot, I think it's because there's been a lot of similar types of products being sent out, and they are trying to match products with people who will enjoy or at least apprecriate it. The one I got was in the same line of something that I'd written a decent review on, so Bonny knew that it would be something I would use and be able to review. If there's nothing in the tester batch that matches my profile, then it doesn't matter how much they want to give me something, it would be a waste to do so.

Also worth bearing in mind that there's been bumper tester bags given out as prizes for the caption competition the past couple of times, so the few people who won them will have had a few review items on top of the normal rotation of stuff which shouldn't be counted when looking at how things are being spread around.

I'm loathe to say there should be more of a rotation, because I'd prefer to get one thing a year that I'll be able to (hopefully) enjoy and review properly than be given forty things that I'm not keen enough on to make a good job of it.

Perhaps a rule of getting testers is that you shouldn't be llowed to talk about them on the forum?

It appears to be causing some upset.

I just think throughout the recent unrest threads you've been a bit unnecessarily harsh on the LH team, there are some new things that have happened that I'm not too fussed on but I understand it's not the fault of the staff, some situations look like they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. OK some people get two testers in a row it happens. Lots of people won't bother mentioning what they got if they did get a tester, for every person you hear about getting a tester you may not hear about 2/10/100 more more testers going to different people, we don't really have a perspective of it.

I think the recent introduction of the OA WLs was a great idea, so they can send testers to people they know actually want the product but to know about it you really had to be on the forums, they implemented a really great idea and change to the review system and now it seems they're getting indirect criticism for it because people are getting those testers, what if only one person has that WL'd but they had a tester last month?

I'm sorry if this all just sounds a bit harsh, it's not meant to be, you just have quite a strong direct character so it's hard not to address it directly.

i havent been harsh at all, ive been asking why something hasnt been happening and why and when will it start to happen?

i am a customer and a memeber of the forums i am not there friends as they are not mine so sorry if i come across as im not there best mate but at the end of they day there offering a servise it is there jobs to answears questions and provide a service.

i havent been rude or agressive, ive simply just been asking about things and giving my thoughts, which everyone else has been asked for as well.

its not the teams fault no, its the people who are in charge of things who when ive been wanting to put my point of view across, they are the ones who run the bussiness and the forum so it is down to them on who and how they put people on charge of things. and of late they havent been, this is what ive been trying to say...

and actually you post to say that im being harsh has really pissed me off, at the end of the day you can see from the many replys on here a lot of people have come out to say they feel the same yet cos im the only person who ever says anything first and that i say its down to LH to do (notice ive always said its LH, the LH the company not a staff memebers name anywhere!)! im the bad guy and am being harash and horrible...

Lovehoney - Steve [sign in to see picture]

Hi, thanks for all feedback - vvvvvvvvv helpful.

As far as tester products are concerned, they're sent out to a wide range of people.

It's definitely NOT based on number of posts/activity.

Folk who buy toys and write constructive, informative reviews about them (positive or negative) are offered the chance to test toys - simple as that, really.

We're looking at ways to reward posters and reviewers at the mo - but obviously we don't want to do it based on number of times people simply post.

diamonds wrote:

i havent been harsh at all, ive been asking why something hasnt been happening and why and when will it start to happen?

i am a customer and a memeber of the forums i am not there friends as they are not mine so sorry if i come across as im not there best mate but at the end of they day there offering a servise it is there jobs to answears questions and provide a service.

i havent been rude or agressive, ive simply just been asking about things and giving my thoughts, which everyone else has been asked for as well.

its not the teams fault no, its the people who are in charge of things who when ive been wanting to put my point of view across, they are the ones who run the bussiness and the forum so it is down to them on who and how they put people on charge of things. and of late they havent been, this is what ive been trying to say...

and actually you post to say that im being harsh has really pissed me off, at the end of the day you can see from the many replys on here a lot of people have come out to say they feel the same yet cos im the only person who ever says anything first and that i say its down to LH to do (notice ive always said its LH, the LH the company not a staff memebers name anywhere!)! im the bad guy and am being harash and horrible...

I agree with many of the points you raised but in my opinion your posts seemed a little confrontational and quite direct. They came across as 'you have done this and this and this wrong' when as far as I was aware the LH staff were not really aware there was a problem. I think criticising the forum in such a manner reflects on the staff, especially some of the newer members like Alice and Hella.

I don't like to look at the forums as a service, they have no responsibility to provide them other than wanting to (and the benefits it brings).

I'm not trying to offend you D, it was great to raise the concern I just found it a little confrontational. I'm sorry if you are offended. I'll not be replying any more on this topic.

MissTerryCleavage [sign in to see picture]

WandA wrote:

Perhaps a rule of getting testers is that you shouldn't be llowed to talk about them on the forum?

I actually think this is a good idea....

The reviews will be posted for everyone to read so is there a need to know it was sent as a tester? I agree there appears to be upset being caused by them, and the last thing I think everyone would want is for LH to say they will stop doing it if it's causing problems?

It's great to receive a tester and am sure that we all put a lot of effort into making sure our review is as comprehensive as possible in line with what the product is? By that I mean if something is a fairly straightforward low value product am not sure there is a need for reams of information, but definitely for other products the more detail the better, if am parting with hard earned cash I like to know as much as I can beforehand.

Personally when I have received a tester, I don't think I've posted about it, altho I perhaps may have done with my first one as I was soooo excited, but I don't any more, as I had started to feel an undercurrent of people questioning why certain people had been selected...

We have to remember it is a great bonus to receive a tester and LH need to administer it in the way that works for them, it's for their benefit after all, it's just a bonus for us.

Just my opinion and I'm conscious that this thread shouldn't turn into a great "tester debate" thread, I just wanted to offer support to WandA's suggestion.

WandA wrote:

diamonds wrote:

I agree with many of the points you raised but in my opinion your posts seemed a little confrontational and quite direct. They came across as 'you have done this and this and this wrong' when as far as I was aware the LH staff were not really aware there was a problem. I think criticising the forum in such a manner reflects on the staff, especially some of the newer members like Alice and Hella.

I don't like to look at the forums as a service, they have no responsibility to provide them other than wanting to (and the benefits it brings).

I'm not trying to offend you D, it was great to raise the concern I just found it a little confrontational. I'm sorry if you are offended. I'll not be replying any more on this topic.

so im in the wrong for being direct and not pussy footing around? whats the point of being like that as it takes for ever to get across what your saying.

if your making a compaint you list what you see as wrong, that is what i have done.

i tell it how it is, ive always done that and im not gonna change, ive not been rude or agressive, im sure the LH team rather know what your really saying rather then as to what your trying to say.

the forums are part of LH so there responaiblty, doesnt matter what you like to look as them they still belong to LH so it is them who you go to about the problems.

theres so much more i want to say cos im so pissed off but om so angry i cant write it down, at the end of the day some people need to rememeber this is a company run forum, the staff are not our friends they work for the company, complaining here is no differant then compaling to another company.

shellyboo [sign in to see picture]

merry cherry wrote:

I'm not really bothered about it. If you dont want to use a particular thread then just dont write in it? I guess thats a bit simplistic but its not like there are loads of games? I only know of 1?except for the other alphabetical version of the word association game which hasnt been played for a while?I quite like that it's there so you can do something whilst waiting for someone to reply for something you've written about in another thread. It lets you know who is currently active aswell. I don't really think its a major thing?

Sorry, the way ive written that sounds really dismissive and i don't mean it like that...i guess i'm not really understanding what the problem is? And it's hard to get tone accross in text! I'm actually questioning rather than arrogantly putting my hand up in a 'talk to the hand' kind of manner if that makes sense?!

No, I understand what you're saying! As someone who doesn't play them, perhaps I notice the OT threads more. In my opinion, there are at least 8 off-topc threads in the main Sex & Sex Toys forums -- if a lot of people are online and posting, up to five of these can be on the first page at any one time -that's a third of the space on the page! Which, and again, this is totally subjective, seems like a lot to someone who doesn't really post in any of them.

There are three Word Association threads: Last Letter Word Association, Word Association and Alphabetical Word Association.

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/251838-last-letter-word-association/

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/251838-last-letter-word-association/

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/157209-word-association/oto

There's What are you grateful for today?, Whos Photo, You've had the slap, and Have you ever? as well...

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/115463-what-are-you-grateful-for-today/

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/115463-what-are-you-grateful-for-today/

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/122912-whos-photo/

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/186140-youve-had-the-slap-now-for-the-tickle/

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/orgasm-army/sex-talk/26331-have-you-ever-more-questions/

And on top of that, Good Morning/Afternoon/Goodnight, plus the tons of introduction threads every day. When you add them all up, it is a lot -- and that's why I think a separate off-topic/newbies forum would be great. We could combine Introduce Yourself with Off-Topic, leaving the main boards free for on-topic chat, which would make them a whole lot easier to moderate.

This probably seems super defensive, but I promise I didn't take offence! I'm just explaining my reasoning. In fact, in my survey I put that I didn't want an OT forum, but on reflection I think it's a really good idea :) Do you see where I'm coming from? I just think the OT is in danger of eclipsing the T!

Rowan wrote:

I think, Shellyboo that the word association threads, at least initially were based around connecting suggestive/ flirtacious words and phrases. Thus they were not off-topic as such but a different type of format to the prose most commonly used. This was followed by an A-Z one as a greater challenge to the imaginative when the original really did go off topic.

Yeah, but they're OT now... I wasn't around for their inception. Perhaps it's just my own personal situation - I'm an active member on an Irish forum that's pretty much 100% OT, it's all chat on any sort of topic, so for me that need is fulfilled elsewhere. I come here to discuss Sex and Sexuality alone, that's what I look for from the OA. And to be fair, that is what the forum's for... I have no problem with people having OT chat, I do it myself and I love the community spirit here, but for me, I mainly want to discuss the topics the forum is aimed at, I'm not so much interested in the games and questionnaires.

Making a separate OT forum would aid *my* user experience, and I think make the forum easier to grasp - if there's a clear distinction, people are less likely to go OT on a topic. Again, that's just my personal preference! I understand that it doesn't bother others at all :)

Wanda wrote:

As far as I'm aware, that IS a rule. It always was when I was here anyway... in any case, it's common sense (surely?) not to broadcast what testers you get and how often? It's up to the staff who gets them, they have their reasons, and if some people get them more often, well... tough, I think. It's a massive bonus that they give them at all, and I don't think any of us (those who get testers or those who don't) are in a position to complain about how the company distributes free toys.

Also, the reason it seems so unbalanced is a direct result of the phenomenon above -- some people talk about every tester they get, all the time, others never mention it ever. It seems like the same people are getting testers all the time because those are the only people who talk about getting testers.

As an aside, I have to say that overall, I think the LH team are doing an amazing job. Sure, there are a few suggestions I've made here, but if they didn't happen I'd be just as happy, and I'd never have thought of them if others hadn't suggested them, or I'd been asked to think of ways to improve. If nothing changed, I'd still be happy! It just makes me sad that others aren't as happy as me :( I want us all to love it as much as I do!

Wizzie86 [sign in to see picture]

I know why there isn't an edit post function as it has been discussed previously but how about adding a spell check function? I think people would find it helpful. You could also add bold and italic functions to the text box x

Wizzie86 wrote:

I know why there isn't an edit post function as it has been discussed previously but how about adding a spell check function? I think people would find it helpful. You could also add bold and italic functions to the text box x

Are you on Mozilla?

I think this one might work:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3366/

sexytime [sign in to see picture]

WandA wrote:

Wizzie86 wrote:

Are you on Mozilla?

I think this one might work:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3366/

I use Google Chrome and it has an inbuilt one for anything you type. Funny thing is, it doesn't recognise the word 'Google' haha!

Wizzie86 [sign in to see picture]

No I'm not but if you can do it another way then ignore the suggestion x

Wizzie86 wrote:

No I'm not but if you can do it another way then ignore the suggestion x

I think a few browsers have 'em but sometimes you actively have to seek them out.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.