1. Reviewing the Reviews

DoubleU [sign in to see picture]

As a relatively newcomer to the Lovehoney Community I usually read the reviews of an item before making a purchase. I find the bar-charts which give star gradings from 5 stars down to 1 star a particularly useful indication of the popularity, quality and usefulness of a product. This definitely apples to the higher star ratings. However, finding the reasons for the lower rated items is not so simple.

This is especially so when there are a large number of reviews where most of them are in the 5,4 and 3 star ratings. For example: The ‘BASIC Realistic Dildo Vibrator 6 inch’ has 359 reviews, 217 of which are given a 5 star rating, 101 have a 2 stars and 22 have 3 stars.

In order to find a 3 star rating or lower review it is necessary to troll through 318 reviews, which at between 3 to 5 reviews per webpage could mean trolling through anything from 60 to 100 webpages before discovering the reason for the poor review. All because the reviews are listed in order of star rating, the highest rating first.

Of course, none of this matters when an item only has a few reviews, either due to lack of interest or a product being so expensive that only someone as rich as Croesus could afford it. It becomes a problem when the bar chart becomes ‘top heavy’ due to an extremely popular and well- priced product.

There may be several solutions to the problem.

The bar-chart is an excellent idea, but the reviews could be displayed differently to make each star rating more accessible.

a) The current layout could be reversed, placing the 1 and 2 star ratings at the top of the listing, making it easier to discover the reasons for a poor review without making it too difficult to view the higher rated reviews.

b) Reviews could be placed in chronological order. This would mix reviews.

c) Links could be created on each bar of the bar-charts which would take the viewer to separate areas of the website which would display only reviews relating to the particular rating.

Please do not misunderstand me. The Lovehoney website is the best that I have seen. In fact it is excellent. Its thousands of products are very easy to find, are of good quality and favourably priced, and there may be many good reasons for the way in which its reviews are set out that a web designer would be able to explain to me.

However, and for what its worth I felt that I had to get this minor irritation ‘off my chest’. So, in the meantime ‘keep scrolling’!

NatandTom [sign in to see picture]

Hi & welcome!

For future reference search for the great big suggestions thread if you have any ideas on how Lovehoney could improve. Staff read that thread and feedback is passed on to the relevant people so it's the best place to post suggestions. I think the review thing has been mentioned a bunch of times with people wanting to be able to read via the star ratings so it's something they may look at eventually. Not before valentines I'd imagine.

In the meantime, you can search reviews by the date they were posted starting from the most recent and working back. That may help you find some more mixed feedback :)

DoubleU [sign in to see picture]

Thanks for the advice.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.