• Wait! We think you’re in the US - Lovehoney.com is a better site for you.
    Shop there and get 10% off!
    United States Flag
    Go to Lovehoney.com
  1. So you want to be a sex toy tester? - FAQ's, hints & tips!

Anonymous Lady [sign in to see picture]

Great, informative post! Well done!

Skitty [sign in to see picture]

Thought this lovely new thread would be a good place to post for a bit of advice. I saw somewhere that someone said that you're more likely to get selected for testing if your reviews require less editing, so I've been saving my reviews in their raw form then checking them against the edits that go live on the site to see whether it might be good to change my writing style, or whether there are any silly mistakes I'm making. (I've already learned the difference between 'discrete' and 'discreet', so that's going to save someone at LH a whole lot of time! I never knew there was a difference before... learn something new every day, etc.) I suppose I just wanted peoples' perspectives on this - do most testers do something similar, or is this a touch pernickety? Do successful testers require essentially no editing or is the selection issue more for reviews that would require almost everything to be edited?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

JM88 [sign in to see picture]

Skitty i made an error on my first ever review (put the price wrong!) and was convinced that i would be banned! Cazz was very understanding and said that the reviews are read first anyway to make sure there arent any obvious errors that get published!

i wrote my tester on word as some people had advised because on the ipad theres no spell check and its just harder to edit. Now im going to write them all from a computer because its much easier. I make mistakes but find it very difficult to spot my own!

At uni one piece of advice i picked up was to read your work backwards as then its easier to spot spelling mistakes because if you read forward you tend to skim read it because you already know the basic content because you wrote it.

Skitty [sign in to see picture]

Cheers for the feedback on this, both of your perspectives are really helpful. It's a relief to know everything doesn't have to be 100% finished and ready to go live!

Great advice on reading it backwards, I'll have to try that. I also find it hard to spot my own mistakes which is why I started doing the comparison thing because before I was just seeing the live review with no comparison to what I actually wrote and thinking "ooh, I must have done well with this one, I don't see any changes!" sort of thing, when really I just don't have a good memory ;)

Chaos Zero [sign in to see picture]

On the off chance I get picked for testing, is there an email address I should be making sure doesn't get put into my junk folder?

delilahxx [sign in to see picture]

Chaos Zero wrote:

On the off chance I get picked for testing, is there an email address I should be making sure doesn't get put into my junk folder?

customercare@lovehoney.co.uk

Ame [sign in to see picture]

This post should be a sticky on the forum, as some people will always ask this in the tester's thread over and over again. It's very informative and well written!

Chaos Zero wrote:

If it does go to junk or you dont see it, dont worry! The email lets you know you have been selected, and for which item. You then get another to say the item has been dispatched and is on its way.

If you dont see the email then its a nice suprise! The link to do your review is at the bottom of your account page so even if you accidently delete the email then you can still do the review as a tester.

J&M92 [sign in to see picture]

Good post. Makes everything clear and simple.

Lorah13 [sign in to see picture]

Excellent post PT, very informative :)

Rae1 [sign in to see picture]

Great post, thanks alot for the advice! x

just submitted another tester review!

can someone shed some light as to the length of reviews? again i have done another long review but i felt i needed to as there was quite a bit to cover! it was the black magic wand btw.

when i do the tester reviews (this is my second) i like to make it thorough and take it seriously. i just hope its ok!

i did put it into little sections with a pros and cons list at the end so people can just scroll to that if they wish!

Jrok [sign in to see picture]

I have only been writing reviews for a short time and I, just like anyone else, wondered how I was doing. I have read some of the other posters reviews (posters that I see as contributing and open/honest) to pick up some content and formatting tips. I have actually had the same review length question, JM88. What I will say, is that I have read a few of your reviews and didn't even notice how long they were until after I was done. Basically they were well written and I think that if well written and informative, the length doesn't matter. It is the long ones that bounce around and don't actually say much that I skim or won't read much of. So, in short, good job JM, and keep the reviews coming.

ScottishSweethearts [sign in to see picture]

Very informative, a great reference point for the next time someone blindly asks disjointed questions in the forum!!!

HandT [sign in to see picture]

Hi, me and my girlfriend would love to test an assortment of toys from the Sex Toy Testing list. We accidently made our wishlist private ha. One thing inparticular we would like to try is the lickable candle. I know its only a small product compared to others, but its something we have actually been looking into but were not 100% sure - so we would definately write up a detailed review of our experience.

Thanks

spookyfabulous [sign in to see picture]

That was really helpful, thank you for posting this

Loving Honey24 [sign in to see picture]

Thank you so much for clarifying.
    I'm brand spanking new to the site after my husband bought a lovely gift from you.
    So a huge thank you Love Honey for adding a bit of spice back into my bed xx

cheshire kat [sign in to see picture]

Such a good post!

berrynice [sign in to see picture]

Great post!

hornyenglandstud [sign in to see picture]

great post i agree as everyone else does !

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.