• Bacteria colonies on PVC toy? [Not from LH]

Vanquish [sign in to see picture]

Hey there.

I have a weird question. Recently I had to order from a different site beacuse LH no longer sells a certain TitanMen product I wanted and I couldnt waste money paying twice for shipping. Anyway, I got the products I orderd but one has weird spots all over it. It is of course supposedly brand new. Spots really look like bacteria colonies in a petri dish. Little round shapes all over. I have no idea what to think or do. Can anyone shed any light on this. Could this toy really have been exposed to some kind of bacteria or am I freaking out? Returned and re-sold? The product in question is a Basix Smoothy 6.5" dong in "clear", also for sale here (just not in "clear"). This is a picture of how it looks:

http://www.imagebam.com/image/296e94295471501

Kohitsuji [sign in to see picture]

Hi Vanquish, I haven't heard about bacteria being on a PVC toy. Also, we're not supposed to use lovehoney's secret phrase.

What secret phrase? :D

Bacteria is just what came to mind first. Those little circles. My work is somewhat related to biology so I went straight to that. The toy still has that strong "new" smell that certain toys have. But still, I have no idea what this is and not sure if I want to use it or not.

Fluffbags [sign in to see picture]

That is kinda strange! Here are the possibilities I have come up with

1) Bacteria

2) Mould

3) Air bubbles or strange colour mixing during the pouring and setting stage (Is this toy silicone? Can those marks be wiped off or do they seem to be inside the material?)

4) If this is a jelly toy, it could even be leaching oily chemicals (Do some googling on Jelly sex toys)

Have you googled any other pictures of the same toy to see if that is actually part of the design or not? (It is kinda hard to say exactly what it is, even harder without seeing the toy in person, so apologies if these are silly questions) I personally would not use it, looking like that. Yes it is entirely possible for mould especially, but bacteria too get onto a toy during its packaging stages. Even when stored in packaging, for a time, toys can go mouldy, or if they are made from questionable materials, they can leach oily, chemical reisdues. It could also be entirely possible for a toy to be returned and resold (One or two companies srping to my mind when I think of this. Stick to reputable companies to reduce/avoid that risk!)

If I had that toy in my hands, I would not use it. Unless it became clear it was part of the design, or air bubbles.

Just re-read that the product is made from a cheapy material, so yeh it could be leaching/mould/bacteria.

RubberStrumpet [sign in to see picture]

Hi Vanquish

That looks to me like the marks left after cleaning a toy with a babywipe- you know, the kind of smeary chemical mark. I could see why you would be worried. Where did you buy the item? LH do not permit advertisement of competition but naming and shaming should surely be allowed?

Anyway, I used to work for a site who did take toys out of the packaging for photography, measurement etc, before sending them off to customers. Obviously I don't work their now, the place was shocking.

I don't really want to shame anyone, even more so before this is cleared up.

The toy is made from PVC, Fluffbags. Skin Safe Rubber according to LoveHoney. Heres the advertising blurb "Basix range is made of of 100% phthalate-free, skin-safe hypoallergenic rubber that's environmentally friendly and built to give a lifetime of pleasure!". I washed the toy when I got it but it doesn't come off. Cant even scrape off with my finger.

There are even such markings on the plastic box it came in. Could this tell us anything?

Vanquish wrote:

Bacteria is just what came to mind first. Those little circles. My work is somewhat related to biology so I went straight to that. The toy still has that strong "new" smell that certain toys have. But still, I have no idea what this is and not sure if I want to use it or not.

The lovehoney initials

Oh, whoops. I edited the last one but can mods please edit the rest.

Sounds a lot like mold to me.

I don't understand what you mean regarding the marks on the packaging. Do they look "part of the design" of the box, or do they look ovbiously like something is growing on it?

I am still leaning towards mold. It can happen a lot, with products in storage.

Aslo, forgot to mention, some PVC might be phthalate free, but PVC it still is a porous material (Probably why you cannot scrape off the marks, if they have sunk into the rubber) TPE rubber is much better. (Body safety wise) it is a lot less porous. Not sure which one yours is. x

Just "imprints". In the plastic moulding where the toy sat. I tried taking a picture but it didn't come out anywhere near as well as the one above. Not part of the design, like where the toy touched the plastic and left a mark.

If it's mould I'm not that worried at all. Or should I be? I'm pretty panicky regarding various bacteria.

To be fair, without a lab test, it would be quite difficult for anyone to say for sure what it is. Which is the sad thing. It could be mold or bacteria. I don't blame you for being panicky, but I don't think anyone can give you a true 100% definite answer on this. You would need a lab test or similar. Clearly whatever it is, should not be there, so it is definitely some foreign....thing...that has absorbed into the material, and grown a little on the packaging where it was touching too. So it should not be there. I would not recommend using it and sending it back. xx

Yeah, I know. :( I ordered it from a foreign country and it was very cheap because of Cyber Monday discounts. Would cost me more to send it back, and their customer service isn't exactly great. Love honey says the material is"Skin Safe Rubber". This is the product:

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=13994

In the materials description the descibe this material as "Unlike other sex toy materials, skin-safe rubber has not undergone the same softening processes that fill it with phthalates. As well as being free of phthalates, skin-safe rubber is free from latex and is completely non-porous, so it's ultra easy to clean! By those in the know, it is also called TPE/TPR(thermoplastic elastomer/rubber)."

Could this be true, and can this product be easy to clean/sanitize?

TPE/TPR is almost as safe as silicone (Body safe) and you are right (or Lovehoney is right) that it is phthalate free and, in my opinion "almost non-porous" Some TPE/TPR is less or more porous than another.

I am not an expert but from what I understand, TPE is less porous than jelly, or cyberskin etc but slightly more porous than silicone. (With silicone being almost virtually non porous)

Anyway, I guess some evidence lies in the fact that whatever is growing on your toy has managed to permeate the surface layer and get "inside" the material (Because it won't wash off) I can't understand why the marks won't wash off, or how the "stuff" made it's way into the surface layer, if the material is "completely non-porous. I mean, you would not see stuff growing inside a completely non-porous glass toy? So yeah, this is my thought process.

Also, it doesn't look like TPE can be boiled or used with a 10% bleach solution, and get completely sterilized, like silicone can, from the reports I am reading online, so it does not look like you can completely sanitise it.

Like I say though, I am no expert. Sorry x

mnms [sign in to see picture]

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Kohitsuji wrote:

Vanquish wrote:

The lovehoney initials

Um... What? Did I miss something?

Yeah, it says nothing in the forum rules about saying 'LH' and I see tons of people doing it, it's just a text abbreviation surely??

FrumCouple [sign in to see picture]

mnms wrote:

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Kohitsuji wrote:

The lovehoney initials

Um... What? Did I miss something?

Yeah, it says nothing in the forum rules about saying 'LH' and I see tons of people doing it, it's just a text abbreviation surely??

It came up in a recent conversation, don't remember where, something to do with not wanting it to show up in search results I think...

FrumCouple [sign in to see picture]

I think they were talking about the whole phrase and someone misunderstood it to mean even the initials...

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Um, I do know a Lovehoney 'secret phrase' but it isn't just the initials (if you don't know what I'm on about, I'm talking about the return address on their packaging. It shouldn't be wriiten because of google search results.)

But I thought the initials were fine to use. I use 'em all the time and never had anyone tell me not to do it.

Was this mentioned by staff/mods?

It was mentioned by lovehoney Cazz in " What can I say about packages are?" thread. Starts on page 2 and ends in page 3.

It's from germany. :/

Stephanie [sign in to see picture]

Hi everyone,

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your query, Vanquish, but I thought I'd just pop in and say that it's fine to say LH, it's just the full phrase which is banned (LH Tr-----).

It's not banned in the sense of breaking the rules it's just that it's our 'secret phrase' that we use on packaging and card statements to keep things discreet, and it becomes a bit less discreet if a google search of the phrase brings you straight to our community forums!

Admittedly an internet search of the phrase brings up a digital spy forum that gives the game away but we are working on having this removed - did anyone notice that the Cosmopolitan link that came up on that search has recently disappeared? Yay!

Anyway sorry for hijacking the thread, I hope your problem is easily solvable, Vanquish! Can you contact the company or send the item back?

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.