• Massage Oil Woes

buffster666 [sign in to see picture]

Hey,

I've not asked a question in the LoveHoney forums before, usually I just use the site to go shopping and review products. However, my OH and I are having an issue relating to Massage Oils. We've tried two different types of massage oil, one from Lush and one from Ann Summers (Passion Massage Lotion). I react quickly to the Lush massage bar, with my skin erupting into an itchy red rash which requires me to shower off and take an anti-histamine. My OH has a similar reaction to the Passion Massage Lotion.

When I spoke to an Ann Summers rep, she said that sometimes people with hayfever react to massage oils with particular ingredients. I developed hayfever over the past couple of years, alongside a few other allergies relating to animal dander, whereas my OH has athsma and suffered from hayfever when he was a child.

We're wondering what advice others could give us to avoid these rashes, as we really enjoy this act of intimacy. At the moment, I don't want to invest in another massage product without knowing what type of effect it will have on us. What products are inexpensive, yet hypoallergenic? We'd appricate any help regarding this issue.

Thank-you,

Faye

Fluffbags [sign in to see picture]

Have you tried any of the base oils (Which is pretty much what all massage oils are made with, just with added perfumes etc which could cause allergy)

Things like olive oil, grapeseed, coconut, almond...etc. (google "base oils for massage" to find a comprehensive list) I personally think starting at the basics (Although some won't have much if any scent) might help you rule out if you are allergic to any of the base oils, or to find one that works for you.You could even purchase the essential oils and mix up your own scents if you wished. Lush products are really perfumed, they make my eyes water and nose itch and run.

Yeh my advise would be to strip your massaging oils back to just the base oils and as mentioned you can find out which ones would be great (and cheap) on the mighty google, as well as where to purchase them.

HappilyExperimenting [sign in to see picture]

Hi Buffster, welcome the forums! I'm glad you asked your question, you will have lots of detailed replies in no time!

I've no idea why people with hayfever would react to massage oils - maybe other forum members can help?

If you're looking for something hypoallergenic for massages then I would heartily reccommend any product from the Sliquid range, in particular this - http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=15590 which is suitable for vegans and is condom safe with no aspartame, paraben or glycerine.

You also get 255ml which seems a lot for the price! Well worth not getting any rashes. LoveHoney have a 365 days money-back, no-quibble guarantee - read more about that here - http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/help/returns-policy/

Hope this was useful and you find a suitable product for you and the OH

livvie [sign in to see picture]

I have servere hayfever but never had that problem, also very sensitive skin, I cant use many products on my skin, and my OH also has hayfever and has a skin allergy so also cant use many products on his skin either. I highly reccommend Sliquid. We have both used it and have been perfectly fine using it.

WildThing [sign in to see picture]

My partner and I use johnsons baby bedtime oil..... Smells nice, very slippery and affordable too. Just an idea as it is probably more forgiving on skin and intimate areas too. Good luck!

mrs average [sign in to see picture]

Hiya and welcome to the forum.
    My husband is asthmatic and I get hayfever but we've not encountered problems with massage oil. We've recently used the Earthly hemp oil and Sliquid oils from Lovehoney and found them both fine for us they smell nice but not too heavily scented. I'd say Sliquid had the least scent of the two.
    We have had the unperfumed base almond oil from holland & barratt before which you might be better off with if you're allergice to the added essential oils.
    Hope this helps. Mrs A

rose hip [sign in to see picture]

I had a look at the ingredients for the Lush massage bars on their web page. Didn't see any of the obvious petrochemical derivatives, although most list 'perfume' and that's often petrochem. Those are avoidable once you learn the names. Lavender and citronellol are two of the more likely culprits if it's an essential oil, but it's really just trial and error to figure out what reacts badly with your particular body chemistry.

The Ann Summers site has a 'reformulated' Passion 2. Can't find an ingredients list, but it does say 'warming'. Some of the ingredients used for that sort of thing produce the effect by irritating the skin.

As far as brands LH stocks, I'm happy with Sliquid's lubes and the Swoon massage oil. The Swoon is heavy on citrus though, which can be problematic for some. The other brands I've tried here aren't carried any longer.

Sweet almond oil is one of the safest base oils. It's also affordable and easy enough to get a hold of, so it's a good one to start with. If you miss having a scent, try adding your own essential oils from a quality source (Akamuti in Wales is great, their website gives even more info on their products than LH's). That way you full control over what goes on your skin. Turns out it's a good bit cheaper for what you get as well.

buffster666 [sign in to see picture]

Thanks guys! This is all really useful, and we'll most likely switch to using something more natural like baby oil. I'd forgotten that was an alternative to things which market themselves as for massages.

saucey21 [sign in to see picture]

Fluffbags wrote:

Have you tried any of the base oils (Which is pretty much what all massage oils are made with, just with added perfumes etc which could cause allergy)

Things like olive oil, grapeseed, coconut, almond...etc. (google "base oils for massage" to find a comprehensive list) I personally think starting at the basics (Although some won't have much if any scent) might help you rule out if you are allergic to any of the base oils, or to find one that works for you.You could even purchase the essential oils and mix up your own scents if you wished. Lush products are really perfumed, they make my eyes water and nose itch and run.

Yeh my advise would be to strip your massaging oils back to just the base oils and as mentioned you can find out which ones would be great (and cheap) on the mighty google, as well as where to purchase them.

in my experience this is the best place to start. you buy these with natural essential oils to add a nice smell. you really shouldn't get any irritation from these. you can buy these from holland and barratt on the high street relatively cheaply.

also don't forget that pretty much all oil based products damage condoms.

KinkyFuckery [sign in to see picture]

I have hayfever & senstive skin I have used these no problem at all - http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=19019

I have to be very careful as my skin flares up so much but these have been fine

Alastor [sign in to see picture]

Thanks for this thread folks. Exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Not because of allergies or irritation, just looking for oils for body massage purposes. A current partner really likes relaxing as well as stimulating massages, and I was looking for an oil to use. Sweet almond seems like a good idea.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.