• Vibrations and pregnancy

menyanthe [sign in to see picture]

Yesterday my husband bought me some batteries for my new toys I got on Monday.

Today I tried a vibrating egg for a first time in my life - always been a bit sceptical about them, but now I got one in the Crazy Random Grab Bag and happy about it. Well, I could feel the vibrations in my belly and I am sure the baby could too. So is it safe to use? Also, I have a normal-size penis-like vibrator - and wondering what its vibration would feel inside me and for the baby?

Or maybe I should try anyway and if the baby starts moving or kicking - to stop?

Also, I have been wondering - would using the vibrating egg help me train my pelvic muscles? Because I never learnt to contract them without my belly and now, because of contractions, I am hesitant to do that?

WandA [sign in to see picture]

As far as I am aware using vibrators are safe and this is backed up here:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/pregnancyandchildbirth/204904.html

As it says it is always best to be cautious and not go hammering things!

Are you more worried about discomfort for your baby? As far as I am aware the uterus is a terribly noisy place as it is, I don't imagine a little vibe session will worry it too much.

Well, yes, I wouldn't want to bother her... And not only by the noise, but the vibrations as well - or maybe she would feel them nicely? Like a massage?

Doug [sign in to see picture]

well to be honest i think that the beating of your heart and blood pumping are going to cause more of a disturbance than a vibe. Also sex isn't discouraged during pregnacy (up to like 8 months i heard) so a vibe isn't going to be any worse than that. And i like the idea of it being a massage for the baby :)

menyanthe wrote:

Well, yes, I wouldn't want to bother her... And not only by the noise, but the vibrations as well - or maybe she would feel them nicely? Like a massage?

As mentioned your body is a noisy place anyway (I've read interesting things on colic and noise before).

Although this is on the suspect Wikipedia page and seems a bit 'pseudo':

Another theory by Karp suggests that infant crying is related to under-stimulation. He believes babies cry because the "rich symphony of womb sensations" has been replaced by the profound stillness of our homes. He argues that in the womb, fetuses experience non-stop hypnotic rhythms (e.g. stroking against the soft uterus walls; frequent tiny, jiggly movements; constant warmth; and continual sound - louder than a vacuum cleaner - created by the whooshing of blood through the placental arteries)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_colic#Fourth_trimester_theory

I do doubt a vibe will interfere much with the business or your body. As you suggest it may be comforting to a baby.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it seems really really unlikely to do any harm and any other effects are speculation and it could just as easily be a little bit good or a little bit bad. If it's safe then just get on and enjoy yourself!

Thank you, thank you, thank you http://static.bg-mamma.com/Smileys/default/yahoo_36.gif

No worries. Pregnancy is stressful enough without worrying about the little details.

Good luck with her!

Rowan [sign in to see picture]

It doesn't seem to have done mine any harm, although he goes slightly loopy. Seems likely that the number of rickety old buses I depend on have been training.... every time I get on one it starts somersaulting!!

girls on top [sign in to see picture]

hi there and congratulations, found this on lovehoney it might be usefull

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/sex-toys/buyers-guide/safe-sex-toys-pregnancy/

Thread closed

This thread is closed, so no new messages can be posted.