• Expectations and reality

[suspended user]

suspended user

So far my biggest disappointment has to be the Womanizer W500. I've been so craving for it ever since the first model came out, I would have bought that hiddeous thing too, but luckily the new one came out. So I used all my hardly earned points (over two years of intense shopping), and a 25% off discount coupon and got it a couple of months ago. Expecting my world to change forever. Maybe even divorce and stop eating as I would not need companionship and food anymore having that toy. But nah. The first try I gave it left me so unimpressed, that I still haven't given it another opportunity. I will eventually, as if it turns out it really isn't all what promises out to be, I might as well return it (never stop thanking LH for the returns policy!). So I am yet to understand why the Womanizer is supposed to give so 'different' sensations, and 'not like anything I have felt before' experiences and why you should be able to 'go again' over and over again as my clit did get overstimulated by it just as it would with any other vibrator. Maybe even more so and quicker too.

But I also got a Tango - not on purpose, as I only wanted the We Vibe 4 plus and the Play collection was better value for money - and other than power I have not found it to be all that exceptional. Sure, if you want that much power in a bullet, you probably can't beat that one, but I am not a power queen so for me it was disturbingly too much. It went back because the We Vibe did not function properly, but I am not sorry for the Tango.

Ruby Red Slippers [sign in to see picture]

era wrote:

So far my biggest disappointment has to be the Womanizer W500. I've been so craving for it ever since the first model came out, I would have bought that hiddeous thing too, but luckily the new one came out. So I used all my hardly earned points (over two years of intense shopping), and a 25% off discount coupon and got it a couple of months ago. Expecting my world to change forever. Maybe even divorce and stop eating as I would not need companionship and food anymore having that toy. But nah. The first try I gave it left me so unimpressed, that I still haven't given it another opportunity. I will eventually, as if it turns out it really isn't all what promises out to be, I might as well return it (never stop thanking LH for the returns policy!). So I am yet to understand why the Womanizer is supposed to give so 'different' sensations, and 'not like anything I have felt before' experiences and why you should be able to 'go again' over and over again as my clit did get overstimulated by it just as it would with any other vibrator. Maybe even more so and quicker too.

But I also got a Tango - not on purpose, as I only wanted the We Vibe 4 plus and the Play collection was better value for money - and other than power I have not found it to be all that exceptional. Sure, if you want that much power in a bullet, you probably can't beat that one, but I am not a power queen so for me it was disturbingly too much. It went back because the We Vibe did not function properly, but I am not sorry for the Tango.

Say it ain't so! I've saved up £30 or so of oh points and I'm hoping for a big valentines discount to finally make that supposedly life changing toy mine! I'm also eternally grateful for the returns policy. I definitely wouldn't but anything expensive without that safety net.

I've never seen what the big deal is about the tango. Never tried it as I'm not convinced that a strong hard plastic bullet can possibly be worth that price (I'm not power hungry either).

goldenoldie [sign in to see picture]

era wrote:

goldenoldie [sign in to see picture]

Big disappointment for us too. So far has done nothing for my wife.We'll give it another try soon but will return it if we don't get a result. The Womaniser website says that it has a >90% success rate; frankly I wonder.

[suspended user]

suspended user

Ruby Red Slippers wrote:

Say it ain't so! I've saved up £30 or so of oh points and I'm hoping for a big valentines discount to finally make that supposedly life changing toy mine! I'm also eternally grateful for the returns policy. I definitely wouldn't but anything expensive without that safety net.

I've never seen what the big deal is about the tango. Never tried it as I'm not convinced that a strong hard plastic bullet can possibly be worth that price (I'm not power hungry either).

Ruby, I'm planning to properly try it out before Valentine's. I'll keep you posted. And do consider it might just be me. Well, and GoldenOldie's wife, as it seems. :) Might still be your best toy ever, all those reviews can't be bought of, now can they? But I know how you feel as I let all the reviews convince me it's the most amazing and 'different' thing ever, and it really is not.

LittleSwitchBitch [sign in to see picture]

Hmm I'm wondering how u can be so definite after one use. I've read using different head sizing and application of lube to help the "suction" of it... But like one go.. I dunno. For example, I used my tango... On first go, wow.. Others since, I dunno... Some sessions I enjoy, others get it away from me and as a result, I still can't decide and definitely needs more testing as it's something I wanted for ages.

Foxxy [sign in to see picture]

This thread is making me sad, and it's played on my mind since this morning. Absolutely nobody's opinion of a toy is wrong, everybody is different. I'm fairly sure I was the first UK reviewer of the original Womanizer, as nowhere else sold it when Lovehoney sent it to me. To this day, it's the most unique and different toy I own. Sadly, my reviews don't come with a guarantee, but all I can do is tell people me opinions and experiences with something. What worries me, is the underlying implication (whether intended or not) that bloggers or reviewers are being insincere or bought off in some way. I hope nobody does think that, because I'd honestly be really offended. On one hand, I love my Womanizer so much, I really wish that everyone felt the same, but then, the sex toy industry would be very boring if we all desired exactly the same thing. Try different things and different circumstances, and if you don't love it, send it back and keep looking for your earth moving toy. But please, let's not imply that anybody has been 'misled' along the way

[suspended user]

suspended user

Foxxy, I really wasn't implying anything. I have said it in both my posts that I still have to properly try it out. I also mentioned that maybe it's just me who doesn't see the magic in this toy and will eventually decide for myself, as should Ruby. And I also said the reviews were the ones that made me want it so, now I wouldn't have bought such an expensive toy had I assumed they were 'ordered', would have I? I was honoured more than once to test items for LH, and was always honest about them, so to say that you or most testers here in the community are bought off, would be to admit I might as well be. I do not extend my online life outside Lovehoney, so do not tweet, or blog or have profiles where to share stuff about myself other than here, which also means I have no assumptions on "bloggers" whatsoever, also because I do not read or follow any. I know of 'unclear' things happening though in the review world generally speaking, and that extends to Lovehoney too (and yes, I have proof to back it up), whether they want it or not. All what I said in my previous posts were said jokingly, just as I wouldn't divorce my husband for a toy! So sorry if it came thru wrong, please accept my apologies. And I honestly hope this will not turn into an argument, as I have expressed my eternal vows to LH several times on here already, that's not to say they are faultless though! Love does not make you blind to weaknesses, as we all might know. Love is accepting them along with the good parts. :)

Foxxy [sign in to see picture]

Thanks Era. I certainly hope no arguments arise, that's wasn't my intention, but I feel really strongly about people's opinions on things being questioned, because as I said, nobody is ever wrong for liking or disliking a toy. My response was a general one, not to your comment specifically. I wish everybody could read my reviews, here or on my blog, and know that what works for me will work for them, but that will never be the case. My integrity is important to me though, and I know I can speak for many other bloggers out there, as well as myself, we speak as we find. No company will ever influence anything I write. I love Lovehoney, they're one of the reasons I had the confidence to start a blog, but I'll still tell them when I think they get it wrong (Rockbox finger!) and I'm fairly sure that they wouldn't want it any other way. I think Hubby's position will remain safe as long as sex toys can't wash up! Lol

Ruby Red Slippers [sign in to see picture]

Foxxy wrote:

What worries me, is the underlying implication (whether intended or not) that bloggers or reviewers are being insincere or bought off in some way. I hope nobody does think that, because I'd honestly be really offended. On one hand, I love my Womanizer so much, I really wish that everyone felt the same, but then, the sex toy industry would be very boring if we all desired exactly the same thing. Try different things and different circumstances, and if you don't love it, send it back and keep looking for your earth moving toy. But please, let's not imply that anybody has been 'misled' along the way

I don't think that, I think like absolutely any other field of work there can be a few bad apples in blogging and I would never judge a massive group of people based on the actions of one person.

And for the record, the bad apples I'm thinking of are a few beauty bloggers I've come across who insisted that you should never use cheap make up and totally slated it in favour of designer brands but then changed their tune as soon as Maybelline threw a freebie their way then went back to insisting designer is the only option.

The sex toy blogs that I've come across (I haven't read many yet) have been very honest with their reviews and I've noticed that even if the blogger loves the toy they'll usually stress that not eveything suits everyone and point out things like how it may be too strong for some even though they love it. I really like Always the Little Spoon and Gritty Woman but if anyone has any more recommendations let me know!

Supascoopa [sign in to see picture]

No matter how good the toy, would anyone choose it over the real thing ????

mummymermaid [sign in to see picture]

jimbogemini wrote:

Love Twiglets but in reality hate Marmite.

Omg me too!!!!

I am also not a fan of the happy rabbit g spot..my partner loves using it on me though. But solo wise it does nothing for me. I love my nea 2 despite the buttons.

MysticalMayhem [sign in to see picture]

Tell ye what, someone buy me a womanizer and I'll let you know what I think 😂😂😂😉😉😉

Talia [sign in to see picture]

era wrote:

So far my biggest disappointment has to be the Womanizer W500. ...Expecting my world to change forever. ...

Sounds very much like my experience - the bigger the expectations, the bigger the disappointment. (Though I was only hoping for an earth-shattering orgasm - my world can stay the same ;) ). Probably the solution is, like somebody recently said to me, not to get one's hopes up too high in the first place.

[suspended user]

suspended user

I felt like I was broken when I didn't like my wand because everyone else loves it!! 😂

I don't for a second thing the awesome reviews were false it just isn't for me.... really do need to send it back and get something else but not sure what!!

Talia [sign in to see picture]

You are not alone - I don't love my wand either. But I'm still hoping I'll find use for it as a body massager...

AShyExhibitionist [sign in to see picture]

I've definitely found that my experience of a toy has been completely underwhelming compared to that of (what feels like) just about everyone else who's used it, but fortunately I think I've now good a decent grasp on which toys are likely to work for me, and which toys are likely to leave me really disappointed. One of my first toys was the LELO Smart Wand Large, and even now, two years after I first used it, I'm still baffled as to how so many other people can absolutely love their wands. From what I can tell, my toy works perfectly (I'd heard about quite a few people experiencing glitches) yet I still find it quite tricky to orgasm with, even though for many people, a wand is the ultimate vibrator.

I've had the same problem with some of the cheap vibrators people typically choose as a first-time toy, such as bullet vibes or "classic" vibrators. The on-site reviews are overwhelmingly postitive, but on the whole I think these kinds of vibes generally only work well for people with quite a low sensitivity (whereas my clit is apparently at the opposite end of the sensitivity scale...) If I hadn't spoken to some friends who find these kinds of vibes are enough to give them powerful orgasms, I honestly would've thought that all the reviews were ridiculous exaggerations or outright lies, because those toys just really didn't work for me and so I couldn't imagine how they could possibly work for someone else.

I'm sure there are some reviews which exaggerate how good the toy really is, and yes, there probably are some reviewers/bloggers who are paid to write a glowing review, but I do think there are plenty of genuine reviews out there which are incredibly useful when deciding whether to buy a particular toy or not (particularly if you manage to find a reviewer whose needs are similar to yours- i.e. pinpoint stimulation works but broad stimulation doesn't, textured toys feel uncomfortable, etc.) However, even after reading loads of reviews and choosing a toy which seems guaranteed to work for you, sometimes it's still all to easy to end up being disappointed.

AShyExhibitionist [sign in to see picture]

Ruby Red Slippers wrote:

The sex toy blogs that I've come across (I haven't read many yet) have been very honest with their reviews and I've noticed that even if the blogger loves the toy they'll usually stress that not eveything suits everyone and point out things like how it may be too strong for some even though they love it. I really like Always the Little Spoon and Gritty Woman but if anyone has any more recommendations let me know!

I've checked out Gritty Woman's reviews quite a few times now and they're very helpful, but I've not heard of Always the Little Spoon so I'll have to check them out, but the reviews I normally go to first when thinking of getting a new toy are either from Hey Epiphora or Dangerous Lilly. I love Epiphora's reviews because when a toy (or toy company) is bad her review is generally pretty hilarious, and from what I can tell she seems very genuine. I find Dangerous Lilly's reviews particularly useful for me because it seems like we have similar requirements from our toys, so if something works for her, it gives me a good idea of whether or not it would work well for me, but her reviews on the whole are very thorough and don't shy away from the negatives.

susan50 [sign in to see picture]

I am disappointed with the desire love egg http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=33305 - it's a lovely product, feels great, looks great, function is lovely. however, even after being charged overnight,it barely lasted half an hour...

I'm going to return it. and the free gift that came with it. sad times.

VR [sign in to see picture]

I bought the Womanizer on the strength of the reviews. I needed something different and got it with Womanizer.

What I'd really love to see is comparison reviews. I'd love to hear how people feel about toys that appear similar. There are several similar toys on Lovehoney, like Tracey Cox's G-Spot vibe and the FSOG version, Cupid's Smoothie G-Spot and Annabelle Knight's Oooh version. Is it worth saving up for the more expensive version or will the cheapie do the trick?

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.