• Why are stainless steel toys so expensive?

Ruby Red Slippers [sign in to see picture]

This has baffled me for a while, so I'm just going to ask. I understand that some vibrating toys may be expensive because they have better motors, are waterproof, fancy features etc, but how can a company justify charging £100 for something like this: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=9030 which is just a curved lump of metal. No rotations, vibrations, patterns, speeds, thrusting or any fancy engineering, just a lump of metal. Am I missing something?

[suspended user]

suspended user

LOL! Very good question! :)

Stuburns [sign in to see picture]

Because these need CNC machining which is a longer process and more expensive than moulding. Plus the material price is expensive in comparison.

Lovethekink [sign in to see picture]

Lol, I must admit when hubby first saw that he thought I was showing him a door handle.

They look lovely, and probably feel great due to the temperature element. But I couldn't justify the money on it.

mysteron [sign in to see picture]

Stainless steel items tend to be quite expensive

Jessicaleon11 wrote:

Lol, I must admit when hubby first saw that he thought I was showing him a door handle.

They look lovely, and probably feel great due to the temperature element. But I couldn't justify the money on it.

haha! Yeah, I'd imagine some may like the heaviness and how you can heat them or chill them, but you can get all that from a glass toy and they're a fraction of the price. Any stainless steel lovers want to stand up for them?

Stuburns [sign in to see picture]

Very easy to clean and can boil them no mither👍🏼

Just Jenson [sign in to see picture]

It's also due to the quality of the stainless steel which varies a lot.

Reputable toy brand will have body safe steel so it is safe to use internally without reactions. Most stainless steel contains nickel which a lot of people react to.

Decent toys will be nickel free, which again come at a high cost.

In comparison to glass, the steel is a lot heavier which, for me anyway, goes a surprisingly long way in the enjoyment of the toy. It's difficult to describe why, though my ex commented once that the weight pushed down on her g-spot making it more pleasurable than glass.

Talia [sign in to see picture]

Ruby Red Slippers wrote:

.... but how can a company justify charging £100 for something like this: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=9030 ...

They don't have to justify their pricing! The item gets a few rave reviews from sex toy bloggers and people will happily pay the £100 for "guaranteed" squirting. I've never considered buying it - but I did get the glass "copy" for € 20 (or thereabouts).

Sex toys are a luxury anyway, normal pricing rules don't apply. People pay whatever the item is worth to them (a bit like with art, I suppose).

Foxxy [sign in to see picture]

Steel feels very different to glass. The weight of it does a lot of the work when you want pressure, which is why they're known to be 'squirting' toys. They hold temperatures better than glass too, and even though glass isn't draggy, steel has more of a glide to it than glass does, so you often need very little lube. I rarely use any lube with steel actually. It's an expensive material, but usually when people try them, they fall in love! Lol

For a € 120 price difference I can apply pressure by hand ;)

VioletWolf [sign in to see picture]

Is it because they double up as contemporary art? 😂

Good idea - I can imagine the njoy Pure Wand in MOMA or Tate Modern ;)

Vanilla_Kink [sign in to see picture]

Sorry to jump on your thread hun but is stainless steel significantly heavier then glass? I had been thinking of buying an njoy but I get pain in my hand if I hold things like my phone or a book for more then 5 minutes :/ if the weight is the selling point I'm probably better off not bothering x

Vanilla_Kink wrote:

Sorry to jump on your thread hun but is stainless steel significantly heavier then glass? I had been thinking of buying an njoy but I get pain in my hand if I hold things like my phone or a book for more then 5 minutes :/ if the weight is the selling point I'm probably better off not bothering x

Check the reviews for the njoy one ive linked - I'm pretty sure someone said in their review that their hand got tired holding it because of the weight, but double check as I may be remembering it wrong.

They're definitely significantly heavier. From memory, I think the njoy pure wand is about 680g

Vanilla_Kink [sign in to see picture]

Foxxy wrote:

They're definitely significantly heavier. From memory, I think the njoy pure wand is about 680g

Aw that's a shame. I'm glad I asked, that would definitely be too painful for me to use. Thank you x

No worries. They are fantastic though, especially if you can hand them to your partner to control 👍🏼

Kittycat102 [sign in to see picture]

Vanilla_Kink wrote:

Foxxy wrote:

Aw that's a shame. I'm glad I asked, that would definitely be too painful for me to use. Thank you x

To be honest, the Pure Wand make my hand and wrist ache a little bit but it isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. But then again, everyone is different

Vanilla_Kink wrote:

Foxxy wrote:

From a review on the toy I linked to:

"A 500ml bottle of water felt slightly lighter than the Pure Wand and I have heard others say it weighs around the 24 ounce mark. Now, this doesn't sound a lot but in the heat of the moment, it is! If you have any kind of disability that causes you to have weak wrists, or you're just not that gifted with upper arm strength – you will struggle with this. My partner can just about hold this for me, but due to its heaviness it's very hard to keep in the precise spot you want it in and it can slip right away from you which can be very frustrating."

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.