• Disposal of toys.

    1446766265
    NEvans [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 590
    • Joined: 2 Nov 2014

    Living in a block of flats we have a rubbish shoot where all rubbish goes as well as things that could be recycled, our council doesnt provide reccle bins for poeple in flats in my city :( . I do not drive either so can not take it to local recycling facilities.

    The last time i did rabbit amnesty it cost £10 to post, unfortunatley i would rather bin them instead especially with no insentive for recycling

    X

    1446766635
    Briona87 [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1075
    • Joined: 29 Jun 2014

    Laveila wrote:

    Tbh the amnesty program may work with the UK people, at least when they offered the oh points reward, but from abroad it would never be possible due to postage charges. Personally in my country I find it hard to dispose of old electronics. With mobiles etc It se mor eeems to be possible to leave the old one there and get it recycled, but for things like toys.. The options are very limited. One supermarket I knew had a box for unwanted small electronics, which i may need to check and if still there, I will throw the unwanted cleaned up toys there. Like I did the last time.

    Living in city, I still have some options to go to the collecting place for electronics, but in some smalelr towns and cities it would mean keeping it for up to half a year as the collection only runs twice a year or so. I do hope at least so people can do it and not in week day when everyone is at work.

    Interesting - it seems it is very different in various places in this country. I come from a city/town (technically, it is supposed to be a city though it does not feel like one, lol) in Vysocina and there is a recycling bin for small(ish) electronic/electric stuff (that is, no TVs or fridges - these would not fit in, anyway) about 80 metres from my parents' house. And there are places to get rid of extra batteries, light bulbs, fluorescent tubes and small electronic devices at several DIY/electronics stores. And technically, you can bring anything to a scrapyard (sberny dvur) in a city where you live, provided you ID yourself (that is a bit weird - apparently, if your address of residence is in, say, Prague, you cannot bring anything for scrapping in Brno or Ceske Budejovice).

    1446767375
    Talia [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 715
    • Joined: 5 Aug 2015

    I'm sorry, I apologize for the tone of my post, I didn't mean to attack anybody.

    I do not apologize for the factual content: It's a fact that French recycling bins (or rather the people behind them) do not want borosilicate glass. Therefore I would really like to know what to do with it when broken - that was a serious question and I'd be happy if I could get an answer.

    It's also a fact that in Germany 90 % of all packaging plastic is collected - but only 43 % of that will actually be recycled - the rest gets burned. And that plastic that is not packaging material does not get collected or recycled at all - at least from private households (SZ, 10 september 2014). In France the situation is worse - nobody wants joghurt packaging or any sort of plastic that's not bottle shaped. In fact, nothing I have seen in my visits at various places dealing with waste/scrap/second-hand goods (I'm more often picking up things than dropping them off) or at lots of "green" demonstration/information stands makes me believe that I could get a classic vibe or a non-metal dildo recycled in France.

    Seems like the only solution is to send sex toys back to England - and yes, I'd like to have a look at the workings of the recycling plant, but I can't watch Frisky Business - is there a YouTube video? Or does the plant have a web site? - which is why my question about using LH return labels was serious!

    Lovebirds_x wrote:

    ... If you don't want to/don't see the point in recycling things, good for you....

    I find that remark quite insulting - I can make the above affirmations because I know by heart what goes in which bin (because I've actually read the information leaflets distributed by above mentioned informations stands and am referring to the knowledge every time I throw something away). I see the point of recycling, I just have my doubts about whether the recycling does really happen. But actually, I'm a much firmer believer in not throwing anything away that still might have any sort of use. And in not buying things with a limited life expectancy in the first place...

    1446808086
    Lovethekink [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1061
    • Joined: 29 Jun 2012

    Talia-
    in reference to your comment about having free gifts which are unwanted or you have multiples of, if these are unused there is an adopt a toy thread whereas you can have someone else adopt these from you and gift you something in return to cover the postage etc.
    This may be something you wish to look into rather than having several new unused and unwanted toys laying about, at least you could effectively recieve a little something you would rather have in return for one of them.

    1446808901
    Ruby Red Slippers [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 729
    • Joined: 17 Aug 2014

    Talia wrote:

    I wonder how many of the freebies are actually used/wanted.My mother taught me to not refuse gifts, so now I have two sets of FSOG Kegel balls (and I don't even use one, really), a FSOG bullet vibe that turns out to be perfectly useless (but there's not point in sending freebies back, is there?), and a package of flavoured lube which I will most probably never use (though it might come in handy for travelling. Maybe, if I ever get a chance to travel again...)

    Could LH maybe start a program along the lines of: Freebie or alternatively, if one doesn't want the freebie, credit of a certain number of Oh points? (Though I did want the bullet vibe, it just turned out to be a complete disappointment...)

    If you don't want the free gift you don't have to take it. Usually you have to click on the email link to get it added to your basket anyway, but if something free gets added to your basket automatically just speak to customer service and I'm sure they can remove it. I don't think it's fair to ask Lovehoney to give oh points instead (especially when it could be a hassle to work out how many should be given depending on the gift) when requested considering free gifts and oh points are a brilliant bonus, not something we're entitled to.

    1446808970
    NatandTom [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 5738
    • Joined: 6 Jun 2015

    Ruby Red Slippers wrote:

    If you don't want the free gift you don't have to take it. Usually you have to click on the email link to get it added to your basket anyway, but if something free gets added to your basket automatically just speak to customer service and I'm sure they can remove it. I don't think it's fair to ask Lovehoney to give oh points instead (especially when it could be a hassle to work out how many should be given depending on the gift) when requested considering free gifts and oh points are a brilliant bonus, not something we're entitled to.

    +1. Couldn't agree more

    1446815677
    Talia [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 715
    • Joined: 5 Aug 2015

    Jessicaleon11 wrote:

    Talia-
    in reference to your comment about having free gifts which are unwanted or you have multiples of, if these are unused there is an adopt a toy thread whereas you can have someone else adopt these from you and gift you something in return to cover the postage etc.
    ..

    Generally I only find out that I want the gift after using it - or at the very least after opening the packaging and looking at it/holding it, which disqualifies them from being adopted. Besides I have neither Twitter nor Facebook accounts which seem to be the only contact possibilities.

    But it's no longer an issue, anyway, because the obvious solution to the problem is not buying any more toys...

    1446815889
    Talia [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 715
    • Joined: 5 Aug 2015

    Ruby Red Slippers wrote:

    ... I don't think it's fair to ask Lovehoney to give oh points instead (especially when it could be a hassle to work out how many should be given depending on the gift) when requested considering free gifts and oh points are a brilliant bonus, not something we're entitled to.

    I thought it would create a win-win-win-win situation: Lovehoney gets to keep the freebie, I get some Oh! points, the environment gets a bit less stressed and Lovehoney will get another order so I can use up my Oh! points - for probably much more than the value of the points.

    1446818445
    jeffngloria [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 367
    • Joined: 12 Aug 2013

    We had a bit of a garden fire in late summer, anything broken or unused went in the fire, The funny thing was they were in a carrier bag in the loft, and my wife thought they were still there and was panic stricken last week when the solar panel guy was surveying up there, she was texting me like crazy thinking a big dildo was going to fall on his head while opening loft hatch :)

    1446821318
    mysteron [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 5925
    • Joined: 7 Jan 2014

    jeffngloria wrote:

    We had a bit of a garden fire in late summer, anything broken or unused went in the fire, The funny thing was they were in a carrier bag in the loft, and my wife thought they were still there and was panic stricken last week when the solar panel guy was surveying up there, she was texting me like crazy thinking a big dildo was going to fall on his head while opening loft hatch :)

    Oh no all those toxic emmsions !

    1446824808
    Lovehoney - Jess Wilde [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2136
    • Joined: 30 Nov 2012

    mysteron wrote:

    Sounds like an eco warrior lecture to me

    Really? Wow - that was nothing! As for toxic emissions I'd better not even respond to that! I have to say, on a personal note it can be really disheartening to know how many people don't take the environment seriously :( 

    Talia - Thanks for your response, and I think I am being realistic. I don't feel that the answer is to stop buying toys/things, but that's entirely up to you (obviously!) and you are definitely right that we should by better quality things that should last for life, rather than disposable rubbish. I do indeed have personal experience of recycling centres through work and my personal life, but these are limited to centres in the UK. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the processes in France. In the UK electrical items are completely dismantled and then the separate components are consolidated into recyclables (metal, plastic etc) and non-recyclables (other plastics etc). You can find out more on the WEEE website or by watching the Lovehoney documentary 'Frisky Business' on Netflix. I'm afraid it's not on YouTube but it airs quite regularly on TV across Europe - keep an eye on the TV listings! :) 

    It's a real shame that France don't accept all glass for recycling - I wish I could tell you where you could take borosilicate glass, but not being from France myself that would probably be something best researched by you. In the UK we can recycle any glass, as long as it's not been broken. To answer your question re: broken glass toys - if your toy has broken please return it to us for a refund or an exchange within the first year. If it's after the first year and you want to dispose of it yourself, that would be a question for your local council. Ask them what you should do with broken Pyrex dishes as the advice will be the same. 

    It sounds to me like you have a similar passion for the environment to me (we're on the same team here!) but perhaps the recycling facilities in France aren't quite up to speed yet? Even though the UK facilities are pretty good now, I remember finding it incredibly frustrating when I first moved here from Canada because, over there, pretty much everything is recycled. At last in the UK we can now recycle A LOT more plastic and aren't limited to just bottles, but it's been a long process even getting to that stage. Slowly but surely recycling around the world is being taken more seriously, but I guess it takes time for everyone to have the same facilities. And don't even get me started on oil and cars - we're singing from the same hymn sheet there for sure! Surely eco-fuel and electric cars are good enough by now?! Anyway... I digress... 

    As for sticking a pre-paid label on the box for all your unwanted toys and sending them back to us - yes please! That is what our recycling scheme is for and it would, indeed, make me very happy to know we could dispose of your toys properly for you. 

    I like your suggestion for refusing freebies and receiving points instead. We would have to have a standardised number of points - eg 500 points or something but it's worth thinking about for the new year. I'll put it forward as a suggestion and who knows, maybe this is something we can implement in the future :) If you have any more great ideas like that, feel free to add them to The Great Big Suggestions Thread - we love to hear them. 

    Anyway - I hope that clears up what I was trying to get at. 

    Peace and love people, peace and love heart

    1446825646
    mysteron [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 5925
    • Joined: 7 Jan 2014


    From a personal point of view I will never take enviromental issues seriously . Until you get countries like India and China to conform then I don't think what we do will have much of an impact . For me its just a cheap trick for us to pay more in taxes etc .An example of this extra tax is the Wee allowance one has to pay when buying flourescent tubes . We are still requested to fit these in various building site cabins we have to wire . We get charged this extra tax when buying the tubes. Ironically the tubes are made in China

    Just my view

    1446826305
    Lovehoney - Jess Wilde [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2136
    • Joined: 30 Nov 2012

    mysteron wrote:


    From a personal point of view I will never take enviromental issues seriously . Until you get countries like India and China to conform then I don't think what we do will have much of an impact . For me its just a cheap trick for us to pay more in taxes etc .An example of this extra tax is the Wee allowance one has to pay when buying flourescent tubes . We are still requested to fit these in various building site cabins we have to wire . We get charged this extra tax when buying the tubes. Ironically the tubes are made in China

    Just my view

    Fair enough, and everyone is entitled to their own view, of course.

    The thing is, to me this sounds a lot like 'well so-and-so didn't do it, so why should I?' which just doesn't cut it for me. But I'm a bit anal when it comes to things like the environment.

    Also, this old gem springs to mind:

    Once upon a time, there were 4 people; "Everybody", "Somebody", "Anybody" and "Nobody".

    There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.

    Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

    Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody's job to do it. Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realised that Everybody wouldn't do it.

    It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

    #justsayin 

    1446826454
    Foxxy [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1062
    • Joined: 29 Oct 2009

    I love that Jess! T'is true, if we all took that approach, nothing would ever change or get done

    1446826890
    Boogaloo [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2080
    • Joined: 22 Apr 2014

    That's such a cool way to look at it Jess! Although i don't know for the life of me how you were able to remember what order those all go in, I had to read it a few times myself haha 😂

    I think if everybody decided not to do something just because somebody else isn't, we wouldn't get anywhere at all. Yes, it would be fantastic if China and India etc made as much of an effort as we do, but I still believe that what we do in this country makes a difference, even if it's a small difference. It's better than doing nothing at all :)

    1446827384
    mysteron [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 5925
    • Joined: 7 Jan 2014

    TBH Jess I have no issue really on anyone wanting to be good to the evironment. I may change my attitiude when the likes of India , China and even the USA do more . These are the 3 biggest polluters on this planet and thats a fact. .Europe collectivly isn't much better but is doing more than the afore mentioned countries

    What pigs me off is when you are threatened with taxes to comply . iMO thats like having a gun held to your head . As a firm of electrtical contractors we have already been touted by firms that produce instruments that meassure the energy blue print of a typical house. Ie heat detectors so one can see if a typical house is losiing heat/energy and were from. The reason why they produce instruments like this is because councils in the future will go around in vans( or asking firms like ours) and start detecting which houses are losing enrgy and then tax them accordingly.

    Beleive me this is only around the corner .

    1446929847
    Laveila [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 2171
    • Joined: 8 Nov 2010

    Briona87 wrote:

    Laveila wrote:

    Tbh the amnesty program may work with the UK people, at least when they offered the oh points reward, but from abroad it would never be possible due to postage charges. Personally in my country I find it hard to dispose of old electronics. With mobiles etc It se mor eeems to be possible to leave the old one there and get it recycled, but for things like toys.. The options are very limited. One supermarket I knew had a box for unwanted small electronics, which i may need to check and if still there, I will throw the unwanted cleaned up toys there. Like I did the last time.

    Living in city, I still have some options to go to the collecting place for electronics, but in some smalelr towns and cities it would mean keeping it for up to half a year as the collection only runs twice a year or so. I do hope at least so people can do it and not in week day when everyone is at work.

    Interesting - it seems it is very different in various places in this country. I come from a city/town (technically, it is supposed to be a city though it does not feel like one, lol) in Vysocina and there is a recycling bin for small(ish) electronic/electric stuff (that is, no TVs or fridges - these would not fit in, anyway) about 80 metres from my parents' house. And there are places to get rid of extra batteries, light bulbs, fluorescent tubes and small electronic devices at several DIY/electronics stores. And technically, you can bring anything to a scrapyard (sberny dvur) in a city where you live, provided you ID yourself (that is a bit weird - apparently, if your address of residence is in, say, Prague, you cannot bring anything for scrapping in Brno or Ceske Budejovice).

    Briona,

    I live now in Prague, but sadly, like you said I cannot bring anything to the scrapyard at all, because I am from another city and on my national ID card I have that as my permanet address. So I am in position that I cannot do much about recycling unless I carry it to my official home town in my luggage on the train (Yippi )

    And I was mainly talking about smaller places, like villages, since I spent lot of my time in them. Lot of the elderly people do not drive that often to the towns . Plus I am not sure how the electronic bins work in smaller places, where there are no electronic shops, no larger supermarkets. But you rely on smaller shop to get your day to day gloceries.

    I know at my grandparents village they do not have many places to get rid of the electronics, but once a year there used to be a container for unwanted electronics in the nearby village and you can get rid of the unwanted electronic stuff. Otherwise you need to bring it to nearest town, which is 13km away. And since the people do not have the permanent residence in the town, the scrapyard may as well reject them thanks to this. Also the tiny village shop did not use to have a bin for smaller electronics either as 2 years ago, when I was last there.

    1446991541
    Talia [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: General
    • Posts: 715
    • Joined: 5 Aug 2015

    Thank you Jess, that was a very useful answer. And you are right, France is not very advanced in the field of recycling. My theory was that a country is the more interested in protecting the environment, the less environment there is (i. e. the more densely populated the country) - but then your Canadian experience seems to contradict that. In any case, many parts of France are sparsely populated and protecting nature is not very high on the agenda. (I'm already happy when bottles go in the recycling bin and not out of the car window into the ditch...)

    Though funnily enough, nobody cares whether glass is broken or not - there's a good chance it will break anyway when I drop it into the bin, and an even bigger chance of breakage when the bin gets emptied into the lorry (unlike Germany, France does not sort glass by colour). How exactly do they treat empty bottles in England? Are they stored one by one in special cases?

    Another good thing is that there's an organization for collecting, repairing and re-selling household appliances. I nearly bought a washing machine because I thought my 18-year-old one had died on my. Fortunately the shop doesn't deliver to my place, so I had my old one "repaired". (Which consisted in removing the bit of wire that was blocking the pump - didn't even cost anything.)

    Oh yes, I forgot to mention repairing in my list of things to do to protect the environment! It works more often then one would think, even with sex toys. Which is why I now have a Venus butterfly with the strap sown back on... (I thought about exchanging it, but what's the point? The electric part still works perfectly but if I send it back Lovehoney needs to throw everything away. Besides, the two stiches were much faster than contacting customer service, let alone packing the butterfly up and taking it to the post office.)

    1452707667
    popk1n [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 1743
    • Joined: 7 Dec 2014

    Sorry to bump this thread, but I have something that was a tester that lovehoney never stocked. It vibrates and is made of silicone and plastic. I live at home, so cannot dispose of it in my normal bin, so I was wondering if I sent it back to lovehoney could they dispose of it for me? I'm not familiar with any recycling centres etc near my area either and don;t want to bin it in a bin on a random street :/

    1452711210
    NatandTom [sign in to see picture]
    • Rank: Field Marshall
    • Posts: 5738
    • Joined: 6 Jun 2015

    popk1n wrote:

    Sorry to bump this thread, but I have something that was a tester that lovehoney never stocked. It vibrates and is made of silicone and plastic. I live at home, so cannot dispose of it in my normal bin, so I was wondering if I sent it back to lovehoney could they dispose of it for me? I'm not familiar with any recycling centres etc near my area either and don;t want to bin it in a bin on a random street :/

    Yeah, send it to the Amnesty. It has vibrating parts so I don't think it matters what else it's made from, I'm sure the recycling plant will get rid of any materials that aren't reusable once they've been broken down anyway.

    Post a reply to this thread

    Please sign in to post messages to the forum.