• Disposal of toys.

Rachey 28 [sign in to see picture]

Gosh this is going to sound like iv a toy obsession! (I don't really lol)

Over the last few years I've built up a collection of toys! What do you do when they no longer work...is there not a scheme on love honey where you can send them back and they dispose of them?

I can't take them to my local tip/skip as the workers there sort throu your bags whilst you wait/offload the other items from the car. My local council has boxes for tins/cans/plastics/jars etc and there not to be in black bin bags so i cant hide them in my weekly rubbish.

HELP :)

NatandTom [sign in to see picture]

Yeah. Lovehoney have the Rabbit Amnesty, you can send them anything with vibrating parts and they will dispose of them properly for you.

As for non vibrating parts, either brave putting them in your recycling or just trash them with your other waste.

Kimberleyking [sign in to see picture]

i just throw mine with the generale waste if people look they look lol

Boogaloo [sign in to see picture]

I used to send mine off to Rabbit Amnesty, but since they stopped offering loyalty points I haven't as the postage can work out quite expensive, depending on what you send them. I think they've only temporarily suspended the loyalty points reward though, so fingers crossed they bring it back!

In the meantime I've ended up storing loads of toys that I no longer want, and I have considered taking them to our local recycling centre as they have a bin for electronics. It would be embarrassing though, as the tip is always very busy and people are bound to see what I'm throwing in!

As for non electrical toys, I just throw them in the general waste, because I'm not really sure what to do with them :/

Boogaloo [sign in to see picture]
    mysteron [sign in to see picture]

Another option would be to break them up into unrecognisable parts and then dispoe of them accordingly.

Something else you could consider if you ever intend having a gerneral clearout is to order a miniskip and dispose of them this way. We tend to have a clearout once a year normally in January to get rid of excess Xmas rubbish and plant trimmings of which the council will not dispose of for us

Lovehoney - Jess Wilde [sign in to see picture]

Kimberleyking wrote:

i just throw mine with the generale waste if people look they look lol

But what about the planet??! :( 

I know we're not offering points at the moment, but if you send it to us at least you know your electrical items are being disposed of responsibly :) 

Foxxy [sign in to see picture]

I just don't this them away, I have a sex toy graveyard in the loft 😂
    In all seriousness though, if I did, they'd have to be disposed of properly. It's important, I can't preach to my blog readers about safe sex toys then use them to harm the environment for all eternity by sending them to landfill can I!

Foxxy [sign in to see picture]

That should say don't throw them away ... Silly fingers

Talia [sign in to see picture]

Rachey 28 wrote: ...My local council has boxes for tins/cans/plastics/jars etc and there not to be in black bin bags so i cant hide them in my weekly rubbish....

Sorry, I don't understand that sentence! You don't have any black bin bags at all??? I mean, not all rubbish is recycleable (in France they only want bottle-shaped plastic, for example - not blister packs.)

I haven't yet thrown any sex toys away, but as I'm curious about how they work I thought about trying to take one apart when I want to get rid of it (if necessary with a hammer and/or saw). And if I don't find anything in there that I want to keep, the plastic would go with the other rubbish and the metal electronics for recycling. A rechargeable bullet vibrator wouldn't look all that much out of place in a battery recycling bin...

Actually, I'm only worried about rechargeable toys - there can't be all that much metal in a £10-vibrator to make recycling even worth while. I don't believe that even the worst jelly toys actually qualify as toxic waste ;) Neither do I think that a glass dildo needs to go for glass recycling - it's a different type of glass than bottles and jars. So I think the vast majority of sex toys would go with the rest of the rubbish.

Probably the best solution would be to buy only high-quality toys that will last - and satisfy - for years (decades...)

Lovehoney - Jess Wilde [sign in to see picture]

Talia wrote:

Rachey 28 wrote: ...My local council has boxes for tins/cans/plastics/jars etc and there not to be in black bin bags so i cant hide them in my weekly rubbish....

Sorry, I don't understand that sentence! You don't have any black bin bags at all??? I mean, not all rubbish is recycleable (in France they only want bottle-shaped plastic, for example - not blister packs.)

I haven't yet thrown any sex toys away, but as I'm curious about how they work I thought about trying to take one apart when I want to get rid of it (if necessary with a hammer and/or saw). And if I don't find anything in there that I want to keep, the plastic would go with the other rubbish and the metal electronics for recycling. A rechargeable bullet vibrator wouldn't look all that much out of place in a battery recycling bin...

Actually, I'm only worried about rechargeable toys - there can't be all that much metal in a £10-vibrator to make recycling even worth while. I don't believe that even the worst jelly toys actually qualify as toxic waste ;) Neither do I think that a glass dildo needs to go for glass recycling - it's a different type of glass than bottles and jars. So I think the vast majority of sex toys would go with the rest of the rubbish.

Probably the best solution would be to buy only high-quality toys that will last - and satisfy - for years (decades...)

^^ Nooooo! (to the throw most away) and Yesssssss (to buying good quality toys that last)

ALL electrical items should be disposed of properly (as should all of your household waste too, but I won't start on my eco-warrior rant!). It's not about how much metal is in one toy (and lets not forget that plastic, rubber, glass and silicone can all be recylced too) it's abot the quantity of crap that people throw away because they're too lazy to separate their rubbish.

Even if you don't care about the metal/plastic etc being recycled into something new, surely we should ALL be trying to reduce the amount of litter going into our landfills and oceans? Won't somebody please think of the children wildlife

Also, on a side note, Borosilicate glass is recyclable, just like all glass. It's only some certain plastics that aren't so please continue to dispose of your glass toys correctly :) 

The last point you make about buying good quality toys that will last is brilliant though. We are a throw away nation with a disposable culture. We need to break this habit and reduce our waste! 

mysteron [sign in to see picture]

Sounds like an eco warrior lecture to me

Couple looking to spice things up [sign in to see picture]

Love the picture 😂👌

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

ALL electrical items should be disposed of properly (as should all of your household waste too, but I won't start on my eco-warrior rant!). It's not about how much metal is in one toy (and lets not forget that plastic, rubber, glass and silicone can all be recylced too) it's abot the quantity of crap that people throw away because they're too lazy to separate their rubbish. ......

Please, let's get realistic here: So, I take my vibe to the local "dechetterie" (=where I take metal, cardboard, things that don't fit into the bin, electric appliances and leftover paint etc.). With a bit of luck the guy will check whether I've taken out the batteries and throw it into the bin which the electric mixers share with broken torches (without the bit of luck he'll refuse it).

And then? The bin gets shipped off somewhere where the electrical waste gets sorted. Does anybody have personal experience with these places? Until proof to the contrary I am convinced that there somebody will sort through the stuff: Mostly metal - okay, will be melted down. That can be taken apart - another bin. What crap is that (my vibe) - rubbish bin. And then the rubbish bin will be shipped off to an incinerator, if the environment is lucky, or to a landfill, if the children are lucky, or to some third-world country where it will end up in an open-air landfill and barefoot 5-year olds will wade through the rubbish trying to find useable bits.

(The last bit is based on a film on James Nachtwey, "War Photographer", the dechetterie I've seen, the parts in between are pure speculations.)

As for recycling of borosilicate glass: Where do you put it? The glass recycling bins in my part of France have a list of what can go in there: Glass bottles and glass jars. NOT window panes, NOT ovensafe dishes (if I'm not mistaken they are borosilicate as well?), not lightbulbs. So not all glass is being recycled.

I've been an eco-warrior since 1972 (and I'm extremely pissed off that we have still not run out of oil and that there's still cars on the roads!) but I have to throw away so much - mainly plastic food packaging material (and I keep stuff that looks potentially useful - like lube bottles and Ferrero Rocher plastic boxes!) and envelopes/jiffy bags (they might be possible to recycle, but they are NOT to go into the bin for brochures and newspapers) that a few plastic sex toys won't even compute, percentage-wise. Actually, before I worry about sex toys, I'd much rather have recycling for polystyrene and plastic film...

Of course, I could also fill one of Lovehoney's boxes (yes, I've kept all of them as well - now I need to stop ordering because the space under my bed is full) with stuff I want to get rid off, stick a prepaid Lovehoney return label on it and take it to the post office. Would that make you happy, Jess? (Don't worry, it's all hypothetical, I plan on keeping the toys I have right now).

Another thing, while I'm on my eco crusade: Whereas Lovehoney's return policy is brilliant for the environment (I returned the € 4 clit vibe just to be rid of it), I wonder how many of the freebies are actually used/wanted.My mother taught me to not refuse gifts, so now I have two sets of FSOG Kegel balls (and I don't even use one, really), a FSOG bullet vibe that turns out to be perfectly useless (but there's not point in sending freebies back, is there?), and a package of flavoured lube which I will most probably never use (though it might come in handy for travelling. Maybe, if I ever get a chance to travel again...)

Could LH maybe start a program along the lines of: Freebie or alternatively, if one doesn't want the freebie, credit of a certain number of Oh points? (Though I did want the bullet vibe, it just turned out to be a complete disappointment...)

JM88 [sign in to see picture]

Talia there is no need to be so rude.

as for unwanted freebies, as far as i am aware, most of them you only get from clicking a link. Occasionally you may get the odd freebie without having to click a link, but im sure customer services could remove it from your order.

Purring-Pussy [sign in to see picture]

I'm bad. I sent normal dildos to the amnesty and used the returns addy. *Slaps wrists*

Kirsty92 [sign in to see picture]

I haven't disposed of mine don't need to yet but will probably just slip it into a black bag on the way to the tip they don't check our bags

Lovebirds_x [sign in to see picture]

Talia wrote:

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

ALL electrical items should be disposed of properly (as should all of your household waste too, but I won't start on my eco-warrior rant!). It's not about how much metal is in one toy (and lets not forget that plastic, rubber, glass and silicone can all be recylced too) it's abot the quantity of crap that people throw away because they're too lazy to separate their rubbish. ......

Please, let's get realistic here: So, I take my vibe to the local "dechetterie" (=where I take metal, cardboard, things that don't fit into the bin, electric appliances and leftover paint etc.). With a bit of luck the guy will check whether I've taken out the batteries and throw it into the bin which the electric mixers share with broken torches (without the bit of luck he'll refuse it).

And then? The bin gets shipped off somewhere where the electrical waste gets sorted. Does anybody have personal experience with these places? Until proof to the contrary I am convinced that there somebody will sort through the stuff: Mostly metal - okay, will be melted down. That can be taken apart - another bin. What crap is that (my vibe) - rubbish bin. And then the rubbish bin will be shipped off to an incinerator, if the environment is lucky, or to a landfill, if the children are lucky, or to some third-world country where it will end up in an open-air landfill and barefoot 5-year olds will wade through the rubbish trying to find useable bits.

(The last bit is based on a film on James Nachtwey, "War Photographer", the dechetterie I've seen, the parts in between are pure speculations.)

As for recycling of borosilicate glass: Where do you put it? The glass recycling bins in my part of France have a list of what can go in there: Glass bottles and glass jars. NOT window panes, NOT ovensafe dishes (if I'm not mistaken they are borosilicate as well?), not lightbulbs. So not all glass is being recycled.

I've been an eco-warrior since 1972 (and I'm extremely pissed off that we have still not run out of oil and that there's still cars on the roads!) but I have to throw away so much - mainly plastic food packaging material (and I keep stuff that looks potentially useful - like lube bottles and Ferrero Rocher plastic boxes!) and envelopes/jiffy bags (they might be possible to recycle, but they are NOT to go into the bin for brochures and newspapers) that a few plastic sex toys won't even compute, percentage-wise. Actually, before I worry about sex toys, I'd much rather have recycling for polystyrene and plastic film...

Of course, I could also fill one of Lovehoney's boxes (yes, I've kept all of them as well - now I need to stop ordering because the space under my bed is full) with stuff I want to get rid off, stick a prepaid Lovehoney return label on it and take it to the post office. Would that make you happy, Jess? (Don't worry, it's all hypothetical, I plan on keeping the toys I have right now).

Actually yes, Jess has personal experience with the recycling plant Lovehoney sends sex toys to. They showed it in an episode of Frisky Business. I should think she knows what she is talking about.

I'm sorry Talia, but that post was pretty damn rude and rather ignorant. You're going to believe what you think happens until someone proves you wrong, and even though you don't know what happens you're going to go off on a rant defending a point you have no idea about and calling other people out on being unrealistic? That is not being realistic.

Play nice. If you don't want to/don't see the point in recycling things, good for you. Every single thing that gets recycled rather than dumped, no matter how small, makes a difference to the big picture. I'm sorry you can't quite see things on a large enough scale to realise that, but it's true. And regardless of what you think, there's no excuse to attack anyone on a forum over it!

Laveila [sign in to see picture]

Tbh the amnesty program may work with the UK people, at least when they offered the oh points reward, but from abroad it would never be possible due to postage charges. Personally in my country I find it hard to dispose of old electronics. With mobiles etc It se mor eeems to be possible to leave the old one there and get it recycled, but for things like toys.. The options are very limited. One supermarket I knew had a box for unwanted small electronics, which i may need to check and if still there, I will throw the unwanted cleaned up toys there. Like I did the last time.

Living in city, I still have some options to go to the collecting place for electronics, but in some smalelr towns and cities it would mean keeping it for up to half a year as the collection only runs twice a year or so. I do hope at least so people can do it and not in week day when everyone is at work.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.