• Silicon Refresher?

Elle-Scotland [sign in to see picture]

Hoping you lovelies can help. I'm not looking for a silicon cleaner per se. However some of my less-well-loved silicon toys have developed a sort of stickiness to them. Yes, they were put away clean! I have a silicon-covered power bank that has also developed the same stickiness. Any clue how to refresh them?

-Elle

[suspended user]

suspended user

Maybe someone else can be more helpful (in which case I will have learned something today), but I would say if they became sticky, it is because they are a) not really silicone no matter what the company wrote on the box (it wouldn't be a first time a manufacturer lies on the packaging), b) not entirely silicone (they just used silicone on the box to make you buy it, but it only has a small percentage of it), c) it is not good quality (pure) silicone (you might have noticed that lower end toys say "silicone" and higher end ones always say "medical grade" or "pure" silicone), d) they might have come in contact with oil- or silicone based lubes/creams/solutions or have been in contact with one another while being stored away?

I don't as yet have a solution to you problem, but maybe you could try the corn starch (aka renewer powder) they sell for the male masturbators?
    If it was me, I'd seriously reevaluate whether to keep them or not.

Lady Ness [sign in to see picture]

A dusting of corn flour can help.

I have never experienced this stickiness with 100% silicone before though, so maybe your items aren't 100%

TBH I have no idea if the packaging said medical grade/etc or not! They weren't budget items but that doesn't nessecarily mean anything. :) Good info to have though, thanks.

Will try the cornflour and if that doesn't help then they're for the bin. Or possibly send them in to the LH Recycle thing.

-Elle

Ruby Red Slippers [sign in to see picture]

era wrote:

Maybe someone else can be more helpful (in which case I will have learned something today), but I would say if they became sticky, it is because they are a) not really silicone no matter what the company wrote on the box (it wouldn't be a first time a manufacturer lies on the packaging), b) not entirely silicone (they just used silicone on the box to make you buy it, but it only has a small percentage of it), c) it is not good quality (pure) silicone (you might have noticed that lower end toys say "silicone" and higher end ones always say "medical grade" or "pure" silicone), d) they might have come in contact with oil- or silicone based lubes/creams/solutions or have been in contact with one another while being stored away?

I don't as yet have a solution to you problem, but maybe you could try the corn starch (aka renewer powder) they sell for the male masturbators?
    If it was me, I'd seriously reevaluate whether to keep them or not.

+ 1 - unless you've used lubes that aren't suitable for the toys (e.g. oil based) or stored them with different materials such as jelly toys, then I think it's been mislabelled.

What would storing them with jelly toys do to them?

NatandTom [sign in to see picture]

Elle-Scotland wrote:

What would storing them with jelly toys do to them?

Materials react and the toy starts to melt basically

BarginHunta [sign in to see picture]

Is that only if they touch?
    We have seperate material bags for ours, but all the bags are in one box. Just wondering whether it is actual contact that causes it or whether being in the same enclosed 'air' could cause it by fumes or something?

It can cause the different chemicals in the 2 toys to react which can cause them to melt or otherwise get damaged. There's some info in this article: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/sex/buyers-guide/sex-toy-storage/. Luxury toys usually come with a storage bag included, but for the toys that don't, I buy lovehoney ones to put them in (each toy has it's own bag)

It may be safer for you to get rid of any toys that have any damage and treat yourself to some new ones. You can recycle them through rabbit amnesty as you shouldn't just throw them in the bin: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/rabbitamnesty/

As far as jelly toys are concerned, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole as they're porous so any bodily fluids or lubes can be absorbed into them and you can never get them truly clean. If you search 'safe sex toy materials' you can find out more info. I personally only buy toys that are made of 100% good quality silicone (I trust lovehoney brands like Tracey Cox and FSOG and the luxury brands like Lelo), glass, ABS plastic and medical grade stainless steel.

BarginHunta wrote:

We have seperate material bags for ours, but all the bags are in one box. Just wondering whether it is actual contact that causes it or whether being in the same enclosed 'air' could cause it by fumes or something?

I keep mine in separate bags but all in the one box and they've been fine.

NatandTom [sign in to see picture]

BarginHunta wrote:

If they're in individual bags they should be ok, as long as they're cleaned regularly (before and after use) and aren't put away until they're completely dry!

FrozenAngel [sign in to see picture]

It sounds like the silicone toys you have aren't 100% silicone, as they shouldn't get tacky and shouldn't need to be refreshed - unless ofc you've been using the wrong type of lubricant with them, as some lubrications can damage the toy. It's advised you only use a good quality water based lubricant with silicone and if you are wanting to use another lube then to do a patch test on it first (Somewhere where it won't be going in the body) as if there's going to be a reaction it'll happen almost instantly and will ruin that part of the toy.

In terms of storage, if you have 100% silicone toys storing them together is perfectly fine. I have all my silicone toys (That I trust to be 100% silicone) all thrown in a box or on a shelf touching, these are generally FunFactory, Tantus, LH Branded. There's never been a problem with them and they don't react together. The misconception that silicone toys would melt each other when touching has come from manufactures not labelling their toys correctly and putting silicone as the material when it hasn't been 100% silicone, people would then store these toys together and they'd melt which then gave the impression that silicone could not be stored/touch other silicone, this has also been confirmed with Metis Black (President of Tantus). If you're in doubt storing them in a storage bag separately is an option but not always necessary.

bunual [sign in to see picture]

If toys become sticky it's normally because one of the components of the material has leached out. With plastic toys this is normally the plasticier and can even happen on food-safe plastics given enough time. The best advice is to throw it out but you could consider a good washing and using a condom on it. Personally I'd never trust a toy that has become tacky and have thrown some out when it happened.

I store all my toys individually in food-safe ziplock bags with toys I know to be 100% silicone or metal in one drawer and everything else in another. I've had toys melt and it only takes one cheap toy to ruin several more expensive ones.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.