• Gifts - would you want to know who got it for you?

Ruby Red Slippers [sign in to see picture]

Don't know if I'm posting this in the right forum, but if you received a gift from someone on the forums, would you want to know which person got it for you? And would you want to know it was coming or would you prefer a surprise?

innocent-fun [sign in to see picture]

I would like it to be a surprise. Part of me would like to know who it was coming from so I could say thank you, but part of me wouldn't because I'd feel bad if I couldn't return the favour for a while.

Subdom27 [sign in to see picture]

innocent-fun wrote:

I would like it to be a surprise. Part of me would like to know who it was coming from so I could say thank you, but part of me wouldn't because I'd feel bad if I couldn't return the favour for a while.

Couldn't agree more!
    twincats [sign in to see picture]

Would love a gift, would also like to know who sent it, so I could give them a feed back, to say how it worked for me and if they chose right.
    Any offers.
    Have a good day ruby red x

menyanthe [sign in to see picture]

I would like to be a surprise, but I would like to know who sent it. So that I could say thank you and treat them when they least expect it. :P

Boogaloo [sign in to see picture]

I'd like to know who got it for me so I could thank them, but I would feel really guilty if I could t afford to return the favour!

delilahxx [sign in to see picture]

I have been lucky enough to receive 2 gifts in the past. Both times theywere a complete surprise, really cheered up my day.

One of them I know who it's from, but the other one I still don't know. I said thank you on here and Twitter so hopefully the person who bought it knew I received it and liked it. That was back in January, but I'd still love to know who it was from.

It is so lovely to get a surprise gift and to know someone was thinking of you :)

Never know [sign in to see picture]

menyanthe wrote:

I would like to be a surprise, but I would like to know who sent it. So that I could say thank you and treat them when they least expect it. :P

Agree

Lovebirds_x [sign in to see picture]

I don't know I could live with never knowing lol! It seems people end up with an idea via the forums of who the sender was quite often anyway, I'd kinda prefer to know off the bat so I could properly thank them and hopefully return the favour. Not that the point is one for one, of course, and I get that staying anon means you are skipping that pressure to give back. Tis just something I would prefer to do!

Conversely I would be more likely to give and not give away my name...just so I don't look like I'm fishing for return 'gifts'.

Well, I think it is practically stupid to "fish" for return gifts - you could just simply buy stuff for yourself and not for someone else. The idea of gifts is not to get something in return (well, except maybe on Christmas - but then everybody is giving something to everybody so it doesn't count), but to make the other happy.

JM88 [sign in to see picture]

If i received one as a gift i wouldnt mind not knowing who it was. I think it would only become an issue if i kept receiving things like thongs on a regular basis. That might get a bit creepy if it was the same aninymous person sending you stuff and waiting to read the reviews!

GeekyEleanor [sign in to see picture]

I think not knowing would be part of the fun. At least until it becomes too regular, then it would be a little awkward.

john69 [sign in to see picture]

menyanthe wrote:

Agree with you, would be strange not to know who giver is

fairehlights [sign in to see picture]

I'd always like to know, so I can thank them directly, but I'm not that bothered.

I think gifting on LH (or in general) should be more of a pass it a long chain, anyway, so if someone bought me a gift, I'd be more likely to buy one for someone else that was skint/having a bad time/etc, than I would for the person that bought me the gift, and so on.

I don't believe in giving with the expectation to recieve, so :/

Lovebirds_x [sign in to see picture]

menyanthe wrote:

Well, I think it is practically stupid to "fish" for return gifts - you could just simply buy stuff for yourself and not for someone else. The idea of gifts is not to get something in return (well, except maybe on Christmas - but then everybody is giving something to everybody so it doesn't count), but to make the other happy.

Was that aimed at me? I said I wouldn't leave my name so I wouldn't look like I was fishing for something in return...not that I would be expecting anything :s

And yes, of course it is stupid. But people beg for gifts on here on a pretty regular basis. I have also seen people promise to buy you a gift with the expectation of one in return who then fill their wish list with luxury items, or just outright offer to buy you something after you buy them something (expensive). The logic being they end up with something very expensive while only spending a little on you on order to get it. So yes, stupid but it happens. Doubt it ever works but people try. Hence why I pointed out I wouldn't leave my name, so they wouldn't misunderstand my intentions or think I expected anything back (especially considering my wishlist is made up mostly of things I am saving up to buy and thus is mostly high price items).

Also have to remember a lot of people don't feel comfortable accepting a gift without offering something in return...so no, you shouldn't be giving with any expectation of recieving. But you also have to realise that that same level of generosity exists in others and can leave people feeling they owe you something in return anyway. Even if you don't mean to make someone feel obliged, it can happen. Because people are people and tend to be too nice :p

No, it was aimed at the idea - that someone would be "fishing" for gifts. I know what you meant. :) Sorry, if it sounded I misunderstood you. :)

And people here are indeed too nice. :) That's why I love this forum. And I am one of these people that wouldn't feel comfortable accepting a gift without giving something in return. :) Although, when I make a gift, the "Thank you!" and a happy face (when it is in person) is more than enough! :P

LadyS [sign in to see picture]

If I got a gift I'd love the opportunity to say thank you, but would be happy to do that via the @i got a gift ..' thread if someone wanted to remain anonymous.

I have only ever sent one gift, and I have remained anonymous, I know the person got it and liked the choice, so that is what counts x

innocent-fun [sign in to see picture]

I too would feel more comfortable accepting a gift knowing I could return the favour; however if I give someone a gift, I don't expect to receive one in return. Quite like menyanthe, just knowing that the person has received it and appreciates the gesture is more than enough.

VirginAngel [sign in to see picture]

Honestly i think i'd prefer not to know, but then i typically like a little mystery to things.

pinkanimal [sign in to see picture]

I received one when I was at a particularly bad place and it helped cheer me up.

I gifted someone something when they were going through some hard times too.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.