• Take care with storing toys

Will B [sign in to see picture]

Hello All

Just found out the hard way that if you store toys together that this can mean that you have a few toys less after a time .

I had a strap on set which had 3 dildos in the set , seeing that we do not use them every week and had them in a box out of the way from the kids . just get the box down for a bit of a clean up and to add a new gift for the wife , opened the box to find that the toys have started to melt .

So not knowing what had happened i got onto the internet and live chat .

Also always the customer service is one of the best i know but they could not help because it was not a problem of the toys but because of the way i stored them the very nice lady also showed my a link on lovehoney to give me more information on storing toys .

It is still a hard lesson and at about 35 pound not a cheap lesson but please just check your toys and how you store them so you do not have to put 35 pound of toys in the bin

Again the service from Lovehoney is great this is my fault

Blueeyes82 [sign in to see picture]

Products that are jelly and rubber etc and not 100% silicone, have a habit of degrading or 'melting', if they are stored together and not seperated. Sorry to hear about this :(

GodsInAnAlcove [sign in to see picture]

Link: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/blog/2009/06/18/sex-toy-storage/

We have to review our storage method... We use two ikea cardboard box and they are all together! D:

Thanks you Will and thanks you Lovehoney!

i would do this or you my be in the same boat as myself.

it is why i wrote this post to help people !!!

Just Jenson [sign in to see picture]

yeah I found out the hard way a while back and lost two great toys - totally sucks.

Now everything I own has its own individual storage bag from here. I always wait unti they come on on Deal of the Day and buy 10 at a time to delivery is free and I have lenty of bags for new stuff.

It's a shame that all toys don't just come with a storage pouch as standard.

LadyS [sign in to see picture]

Just Jenson wrote:

yeah I found out the hard way a while back and lost two great toys - totally sucks.

Now everything I own has its own individual storage bag from here. I always wait unti they come on on Deal of the Day and buy 10 at a time to delivery is free and I have lenty of bags for new stuff.

It's a shame that all toys don't just come with a storage pouch as standard.

+1

I was a horror for storing toys badly. But I too invested in the bags when I realised just how much money I could potentially have wasted!

I also have the LH sotrage boxes which are really fab too.

x

Lorah13 [sign in to see picture]

Oh I did not know this, thanks for sharing. *off to sort out sex toy box*

EskimoKisser [sign in to see picture]

yeah, found this out with some strokers a while back. Luckily for me they were only cheap thiings, but I'd be devastated if it was an expensive product.

Spoonerism [sign in to see picture]

I've never had this happen but I only use toys that are made out of stable, bodysafe materials such as 100% silicone, glass and stainless steel. Silicone toys (that are ACTUALLY silicone, not a silicone 'blend' or some other bs that toy companies come up with) can be stored safely together with no reactions - mine have lasted years!

So I personally recommend upgrading to silicone - they're safer and with proper care could last a life time :)

FrozenAngel [sign in to see picture]

Spoonerism wrote:

I've never had this happen but I only use toys that are made out of stable, bodysafe materials such as 100% silicone, glass and stainless steel. Silicone toys (that are ACTUALLY silicone, not a silicone 'blend' or some other bs that toy companies come up with) can be stored safely together with no reactions - mine have lasted years!

So I personally recommend upgrading to silicone - they're safer and with proper care could last a life time :)

^ This

I have all my silicone toys that I use just thrown in the drawer closest to the bed, I have ample storage bags, but I don't use them unless the toy is packed away in one of my chests.

MSJ6952 [sign in to see picture]

Have had this happen to previous items bought of LH, but customer service are always fab and replace

Skitty [sign in to see picture]

Can someone clarify for me the materials that need to not come into contact with each other? Is it that jelly needs to stay away from other jelly, or does jelly need to not be near silicone as well? I try to store everything as separately I can and am particularly careful with jelly stuff not being near other jelly stuff, but would love some clarification. Also, hard materials like plastic are presumably ok to be near other toys?

Sorry for being a bit dumb on this, but would love for someone to clear it up for me. I did read the guide but obviously it teaches the very good habit of storing everything separately which I can't really currently do because of space/money constraints at the moment.

Spoonerism [sign in to see picture]

@Skitty - Hard plastics are okay. Basically, keep things that are squishy and not pure silicone away from eachother - in bags is a good idea. They won't always react (I don't know the science behind it) but there's always that risk.

I jnow that the customer service is great , but this time they said it was a fault from me and could do nothing for me

hard lesson to have , and as i said the toy where from the same strap on set so they came together

Skitty [sign in to see picture]

Spoonerism wrote:

@Skitty - Hard plastics are okay. Basically, keep things that are squishy and not pure silicone away from eachother - in bags is a good idea. They won't always react (I don't know the science behind it) but there's always that risk.

Thanks, Spoonerism, that's really helpful to know. I think I've been very lucky not having any toys melt - until very recently all of my jelly toys were near each other for aages, so I'm feeling very lucky indeed. Will have to make sure everything's in order :) Thanks for the info.

JM88 [sign in to see picture]

Will B wrote:

I jnow that the customer service is great , but this time they said it was a fault from me and could do nothing for me

hard lesson to have , and as i said the toy where from the same strap on set so they came together

Its worth getting a second opinion. Im sure one of the lovehoney staff commented on here (was to me) that so long as you bought the item from here (ie it wasnt a tester) and its been less than a year then they can replace it.

Im not sure about the specifics but the person who replied said that the issue was going to be bought up with live chat so they all give the same advice. Its possible the person you spoke to didnt realise that the item could be replaced.

I would say that the error was purely from storing them together, but like you i did not realise that was an issue until quite recently. Its not always obvious either especially if something appears to be silicone but isnt.

Eta heres the response from the lovehoney member of staff who replied to me...

Hi Everyone,

I would like to Clarify the Returns policy on Lovehoney. Anything can be returned to Lovehoney for what ever reason whether used or unused for a replacement or refund up to one year after purchase.

This includes any items that have been 'accidentally damaged' by the Customer.

We want our customers to have 100% peace of mind when ordering from us.

I am very sorry JM88 that you were given the wrong information by one of the Customer Care Team on Live chat.

We will ensure that all the Team are up to date on our returns policy so this does not happen again.

Thanks Siobhan

Lovehoney Customer Care

note the "this includes any items that have been accidently damaged by the customer" bit which i think is the category your toys fall in to. I would send customer services an email and see what they say.

many thanks for the info JM88

i will let you know what happenens

darklightq [sign in to see picture]

I always keep my toys in their orignal packaging respectively and then put them in a drawer together. Not only does this make it easy to pick out the toy I want to use but helps keep them safe. Of course I still have to take care of them in regards to cleaning and such which I do right after each use.

One bit of advice, don't leave certain toys near a heater when drying after a clean. I did a while back with an old tracy cox stroker, not realsing that when the heating came on, the toy was close enough to get too hot and melt.

Lovehoney - Nicole [sign in to see picture]

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd pop in to share this link: How to Store Sex Toys

Please do give it a read (and watch the video) if you haven't already - hopefully it answers some of your questions.

Thanks!

Anji44 [sign in to see picture]

"Does anyone have any ideas?"

I have unfortunately thrown all my boxes out and want to wait till the bags are on sale again as it would be too expensive to purchase multiple bags all at once at full price...Does anyone have any suggestions for in the meantime? I thought maybe plastic wrap or plastic Ziploc bags - as some toys come packaged in plastic.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.