• Sex toy talk - I think I went too far

Stephanie [sign in to see picture]

Haha good idea, Sum Sub!

Gentle giant you're right, that's awful! At least I was able to gently explain what a butt plug is and why people use them, rather than making it worse.

ShannonMarlene [sign in to see picture]

I don't think so, she was probably just shocked but genuinely wanted to know more. I'm 100% honest and open about sex toys and I've made a massive difference in a lot of my friends lives by helping them to understand sex toys aren't taboo and not just for lonely singles. Yeah, a lot of it scares them and freaks them out, but so long as you explain it all gently and bring out your own experiences, there's no problem! I've found people love the honesty.

I can't remember not knowing about toys! My mum worked for a sex toy company for a while and was always bringing home weird and wonderful toys.

DavidB1986 [sign in to see picture]

To be honest Stephanie, my husband is the same when it comes to talking about what he does. He's a web developer, and will talk to me about the latest news in APIs, PHP and whatnot and i'm just like.. WHAT?! I think he forgets that because HE knows all of this, other people do to..

The same with you and sex toys - it's what you do for a living, you talk about it daily, it's only natural that when someone asks you about it, you are just going to talk about it in a very off-hand way.

At least they learnt something!

Frankie21 [sign in to see picture]

hmmm....I'm not sure if passing an apology via a friend is necessary or a completely sound idea. She may feel is drawing further attention to her naivete of lack of knowledge. I guess it depends how you feel you handled her question in the first place - with a response that explains or did you express surprise at her lack of knowledge? Could your response have been considered condescending?
    Perhaps a group apology is in order along the lines of 'Sorry if I was too frank with my sex talk. I forget that this is pretty unique to my workplace.' This way she won't feel singled out.
    Alternatively a hand written note to be passed on so that nothing can be misconstrued.
    Personally, I would doubt she's gone away feeling anything other than intrigued. I know that there were times when I was shocked by older friends when I was younger but it only lead me to enlightenment and a sense of liberation.

Delboy1991 [sign in to see picture]

I wouldn't worry! She's bound to find out sooner or later, and then could have been told wrong information. So really she's lucky it come
    From you x

Jazzam [sign in to see picture]

I'm continuously shocked by peoples lack of knowledge on these things actually >.<

I think if she asked the question then she wanted to know, and I doubt she took anything away from the conversation past perhaps an interest and realization that sex toys are obviously normal if everyone is talking about them.

PinkPolkaDot [sign in to see picture]

I'm surprised she even asked what a butt plug was! Isn't that pretty self explanatory? I don't even remember the first time I heard about them, but I don't think coming across the term was a shock to me at all.

Anyway, I honestly don't think you've scarred them for life or anything like that. They will probably go away and do some research in the confines of their homes where they feel safer, maybe even order a thing or two. I didn't know there were people around who didn't know anything about sex toys these days to be honest! I actually think most people pretend they don't know much because they worry what others will think. I know I used to be like that but I'm way past that now - my friends probably think I talk about sex toys way too often haha.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.