• Serious thread: Did your upbringing affect your sex life? Possible trigger warning.

[suspended user]

suspended user

This was a very interesting read for me:

The Pleasure's All Mine (A History of Perverse Sex) by Julie Peakman (first published by Reaktion Books in 2013).

It basically covers how sex was seen and practiced during the history of mankind, from ancients to modern times, and what was "normal" and what wasn't in different cultures and eras. And of course it talks about how social and religious developments influenced these teachings. It is a big book, but don't let that scare you as the language is very down-to-earth, and it is not filled with unrelated historical facts that might bore you.

Mox Ruby [sign in to see picture]

This sounds really interesting. I'll have to see if Amazon has it for Kindle.

foxache [sign in to see picture]

My dad was a minister and I grew up in the countryside - not a good combination. Sex was never really discussed so while there wasn't any negativity towards it, there certainly wasn't any positivity. It definitely affected my approach to sex in my earlier years - I lost my virginity at 21 - and even now although I'm very open minded, I still think that if I share some of my "kinks" with anyone I'll be judged by them. Although I've had several encounters, I've been single for nearer 2 years now and I honestly think that my whole mindset has been affected by my folks attitude towards both sex and relationships

[suspended user]

suspended user

This might also be interesting, if you care to read further on the argument:

Sex and Punishment (Four Thousand Years of Judging Desire) by Eric Berkowitz (published by Counterpoint in 2012).

I have not read this one yet entirely, just started it, and seems to be dealing with sex from the point of view of what the "law" said in various times and societies, but again, it covers a bit of anthropology, history and sociology from the perspective of sex.

Stephanie [sign in to see picture]

Hi everyone,

Just a gentle reminder that the Forum Rules state that "Discussion of dangerous or illegal activity - including sex acts - will be removed. Please remember that at Lovehoney, life starts at 18 years old. Any posts referring to sex acts before this age will be deleted."

I've subtly edited a few posts here, please be careful not to talk about sex acts before the age of 18.

Thanks,
    Stephanie

[suspended user]

suspended user

Lovehoney - Stephanie wrote:

Hi everyone,

Just a gentle reminder that the http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/help/forum-rules/ state that "Discussion of dangerous or illegal activity - including sex acts - will be removed. Please remember that at Lovehoney, life starts at 18 years old. Any posts referring to sex acts before this age will be deleted."

I've subtly edited a few posts here, please be careful not to talk about sex acts before the age of 18.

Thanks,
    Stephanie

Sorry about that, I'll be more careful from now on. (Even if I disagree with the principle of the law.) Thank you.

[suspended user]

suspended user

Some other titles I've come across, but not yet read:

Paula Kamen - Her Way: Young Women Remake the Sexual Revolution

Marea Mitchell and Dianne Osland - Representing Women and Female Desire from Arcadia to Jane Eyre (this one's more for classical literature lovers)

Would be happy to hear if someone else read them, what they thought. Thanks.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.