• What does the word Love mean to you?

flaneur [sign in to see picture]

For me, it is a cliched word with no meaning that people use to justify their calling their relationship special.

Whats your definition of it?

sensuali.tea [sign in to see picture]

I think there are many interpretations of love, and though with some people, I agree it would seem cliched, but not necessarily with me.

For me, love isn't a word. It's something you show. It's knowing that one day, I'll allow myself to be myself around them, knowing that they will love me, despite my flaws. It's allowing myself to become vulnerable to another person, trusting them to respect me, to support me, to be loyal to me and knowing that I will always do the same for them.

It's kindness, playfulness, commitment, acceptance, fun, intimacy. Knowing that you will have your differences but that you are prepared to work through them together.

It's something I look forward to.

Kinky&Curvy [sign in to see picture]

^

Well said, thats how i'd describe it :) x

Ikey [sign in to see picture]

Love is an uncomparable affection, an unquenchable passion mixed in with undying lust.

Love is a whirlwind of emotion, that can be difficult but even when it is, it's still the greatest joy I could feel.

It's when you feel upset with the person you love, you can still look at them and think "God I want to kiss you, God, I need to hold you, even if I'm angry at you."

It's knowing that whatever hardships you encounter on a daily basis, you always have a shoulder to cry on and a hand to hold at the end of the day.

It's being able to share every thought, every secret, every laugh, every tear, every pain and every smile without fail.

Before I found my love, I used to laugh at people who claimed to be "in love", I honestly used to think the concept of love was stupid and anyone who would need another person that much is just weak. But then it hit me and I realized, yes, I may now be weak in my 15 year-old selfs eyes but I'm also the strongest I've ever been because no matter what happens and no matter what flaws I show, I have someone who I look up to as a god and I know they look back at me the same way.

Hopelessly Horny [sign in to see picture]

sensuali.tea wrote:

I think there are many interpretations of love, and though with some people, I agree it would seem cliched, but not necessarily with me.

For me, love isn't a word. It's something you show. It's knowing that one day, I'll allow myself to be myself around them, knowing that they will love me, despite my flaws. It's allowing myself to become vulnerable to another person, trusting them to respect me, to support me, to be loyal to me and knowing that I will always do the same for them.

It's kindness, playfulness, commitment, acceptance, fun, intimacy. Knowing that you will have your differences but that you are prepared to work through them together.

Nicely put and I never thought I would feel that strongly for someone until I met my OH and he still makes my heart race on sight everyday.
    Annsie [sign in to see picture]

OP, I could not disagree with you more. Just because you haven't experienced it (yet) doesn't mean it isn't a real thing.

Ikey wrote:

Love is an uncomparable affection, an unquenchable passion mixed in with undying lust.

Love is a whirlwind of emotion, that can be difficult but even when it is, it's still the greatest joy I could feel.

It's when you feel upset with the person you love, you can still look at them and think "God I want to kiss you, God, I need to hold you, even if I'm angry at you."

It's knowing that whatever hardships you encounter on a daily basis, you always have a shoulder to cry on and a hand to hold at the end of the day.

It's being able to share every thought, every secret, every laugh, every tear, every pain and every smile without fail.

Before I found my love, I used to laugh at people who claimed to be "in love", I honestly used to think the concept of love was stupid and anyone who would need another person that much is just weak. But then it hit me and I realized, yes, I may now be weak in my 15 year-old selfs eyes but I'm also the strongest I've ever been because no matter what happens and no matter what flaws I show, I have someone who I look up to as a god and I know they look back at me the same way.

That was beautiful. I don't think I've ever related to a post in a forum more than this.

Apparently, biologically, being in love is the closest a person can get to being clincally insane (in terms of chemicals and brain activity).

When you're with someone and want to make them as happy as possible without focusing on your own sexual and emotional gratification. When you would do anything for your partner and you know they would do the same for you. When they're always on your mind and you want to spend your whole life with them.

Honestly, I don't care how cliche I sound, but I'm madly in love with my OH and I wouldn't want to (and couldn't) live without him.

Romeo Papa [sign in to see picture]

I could try and put into words what love means but I'm not a literary genius like some of the members so all I can say is what Ikey said. Extremely well put to sum up the feelings of being newly in love and then everything that it causes as relationships develop

Gentle giant [sign in to see picture]

The amplification of all emotions. Putting someone else's needs before your own and taking satisfaction from doing so. Getting as much enjoyment from making them come as you do from them doing so to you. When you orgasm together the emotional up lift is greater than the physical pleasure. The ability to watch them doing something and feel a deep desire for them. See them talk or move and want them. The deep feeling of wanting to make this person happy and wanting to take them away from it all and protect them when they are sad and down. Wanting them to want you. The belief that you are the luckiest person in the world because they chose you to love. Waking up in the middle of the night from your worst night mare sweating, heart racing in blind panic to find they are still breathing and next to you. looking at them when they are asleep the gentle rise and fall of their chest. When their not in your bed pulling their pillow to your nose to catch their scent. Not wanting to change them but support and reassure and taking pride in their achievements. Knowing that they want grow old with you. Sharing every aspect of your lives, the totally honesty and trust . Giving some one your heart to look after for life and knowing it's in the right hands. When you are down and hurting just being in there arm makes it feel better. Doing things to help them because they need you to even though you may disagree. When they smile you feel happy, when they cry you feel pain. The degree of anger you feel when some one hurts them. There is nothing more important to you than them.

knowing they feel the same about.

Mike13 [sign in to see picture]

I don't think I could improve on the thoughts and feelings as posted by Ikey, GG and HH, so I won't try. But, to be in love is to feel life is special.

Sum Sub [sign in to see picture]

I think of the word love like I think of the word fuck.
    The less you use it the more weight it carries.

When I swear people I know realise that the way I'm speaking has changed and I think using it sparingly like that is the correct way. I use the word know to illustrate annoyance on a daily basis and people just ignore me when I say it cos I use it often. Proper swearing happens rarely; once or twice a month.

This rings true throughout humanity in all ways. It's the foundation of a market economy. The less of something there is the more it's value.

Having said that I say the word love often. My son hears it every day as does my wife. I think it's important that they each know i love them and that I love the other.

CocoGirl [sign in to see picture]

sensuali.tea wrote:

I really like this explanation, because i think that you can use it to describe the love in a good friendship as well, not just romantic. There are different types of relationships that you have, but when you love someone, you love them.

MattB [sign in to see picture]

Great descriptions above... But if I had to put it short and sharp I think it's when you realise that you care about someone even more than you care about yourself.

When it happens you'll know!

delilahxx [sign in to see picture]

CocoGirl wrote:

sensuali.tea wrote:

I really like this explanation, because i think that you can use it to describe the love in a good friendship as well, not just romantic. There are different types of relationships that you have, but when you love someone, you love them.

I really like this, for me that is what love is.

naughtywildfun90 [sign in to see picture]

For me love is family.....my OH, our son, my mum, my dad, stepmum, step dad etc. I learned the hard way what family means and that people take it for granted.
    My favourite times are listening to my OH and little boy talking and playing together. Especially at bed time hearing "love you"........."love you daddy" xx

KinkyFuckery [sign in to see picture]

sensuali.tea wrote:

Perfectly said to me its all the little things we do for each other simple run a bath anything working together at your relationship knowing at the end of the day you are loved no matter how rubbish its been we have each other to fall back on with love at the base of us I have meet my Mr Right & I know I am loved even when i am being a pain in the butt

naughty mum [sign in to see picture]

Love to me is the ability to see the beauty both inner and outer in your partner, and to accept their faults unconditionally.
    We are all flawed to some degree and we are shaped by our experiences. No one is perfect, and taking the rough with the smooth is important to love them.
    Love in the physical sence is intimacy, caring, sensitivity, respect an affection, without judging.

malechauvinist [sign in to see picture]

flaneur wrote:

For me, it is a cliched word with no meaning that people use to justify their calling their relationship special.

+1

And resoundingly so!

Well put.

Amazing how many people who are 'so in love' all of a sudden hate each other's guts at the first sign of a bump in the road.

flaneur [sign in to see picture]

It's also amazing how many people suddenly love you when you're the first person their age to get a car, or you win a lot of money or even get famous. Almost as amazing as how quickly they stop loving you when you run out of money and everyone else finally gets their own car. or when they've been with you long enough to leave with a "share" of your assets. Or they find someone even richer.

For me any relationship of any kind is about mutual trust and respect. Every relationship that I've seen fail has been due this.

For those of you saying that just I think like this because I haven't experienced "love" That's because you don't know what love is. According to every definition provided I've experienced or been mistaken to think I was experiencing all of these, and the people concerned are long gone and I've moved on. But I agree I haven't experienced "love" that's because it's always been conditional and expired when the conditions were no longer satisfied. The closest thing I've seen to unconditional true love is dependency. Unconditional love also has to mean unending love and by far the overwhelming majority of "loves" do come to an end making calling them love in the first place laughable.

MattB [sign in to see picture]

I'd say that truly unconditional love is only likely to be found in a parent/child relationship - I love my OH more than I could have imagined, but it is still conditional; there are plenty of things she could do to end it (or at the very least make me love her and hate her simultaneously)

Annsie [sign in to see picture]

No matter how I look at it, I just can't agree with you. I'm going to repeat myself, but just because you haven't had a partner who loved you unconditionally, and you loved them back equally or more...just because you haven't had a partner for a lifetime with an 'unending' love, doesn't mean other people haven't had it.

Plenty of people have been with their partner since meeting each other young, getting married, having children, and dying together. Countless couples over the history of humanity have had 'unending' love.

Personally, right now, I have never been more certain of anything more in my life than my UNCONDITIONAL love for my OH, and I respect your right to have an opinion, but I would also appreciate it if you didn't feel the need to discredit other people's emotions/opinions. I know how I feel, and just because you don't feel it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    There is nothing he could do that would make me leave him or stop loving him, and I know he feels the same way. I would take a bullet for the boy, and he'd do the same for me.

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.