• Haven't read 50 shades?

MrsMcX [sign in to see picture]

Okay, I was reluctant to buy 50 shades. There was so much hype and so many women banging on about how amazing it was, it really put me off.

Since its on the 3 for £10 offer I decided to get it, if I didn't like it, it's not that big of a loss. I've been intrigued since looking at all the amazing 50 shades products on LH, and can't justify getting them without reading the book.

Well, so far today, I've read 253 pages! Literally can't put it down. I just can't understand all the bad things that I've heard about it. It's brilliant, and definitely not as kinky as I thought it would be. The readers that are claiming its "filth" clearly lead a sheltered life!

If you haven't read it, please please get it. If you don't like it, you can blame me :) but you will!!!

M-J [sign in to see picture]

After this trilogy I'd recommend either the crossfire trilogy by silvia day or the initiation of ms holly (can't recall off hand who the author is)

Sum Sub [sign in to see picture]

yay for fsog.
    it changed my life. after my oh read it, it gave me the confidence to tell her exactly what really turns me on, haven't looked back since :-)

fizzy [sign in to see picture]

I like the fifty shades books. ive also read the crossfire fire books and although they where a great story i wanted more sex in them!. the iniation of miss holly by KD grace is one of my favourites i also really enjoyed the accidental call girl and can't wait to read the accidental mistress when that comes out!

can you tell i like reading erotica!

SophieM [sign in to see picture]

I read the 50 shades books last year and definitely have to agree that they've changed my life! It's because of those books that I actually discovered LH.

I've also read the Crossfire series by Sylvia Day. Although it didn't have as much sex in them, I much prefered the overall storyline, and I would definitely recommend them too.

Have fun reading the rest of the series! :D

Alastor [sign in to see picture]

Given how very poorly written it is supposed to be, I really did not want to spend any money on fsog.
    When I was told some of the 'plot' developments, that just confirmed my thoughts tbh. And a colleague said there really wasn't anything sexwise beyond what she assumed was 'normal'.

Someone at work says she will lend me a copy to read it without funding poor writing.

Who knows, it might be better than I expect.

lillithlibby [sign in to see picture]

I highly recommend the cross fire trilogy :-):-)

bumblebee [sign in to see picture]

I really enjoyed them, i've read them more than once, but i'll read anything :P

Candied Citrus [sign in to see picture]

I... I've tried reading the first one (it's possible to read a preview online on amazon, if you really want to - just to try it out before you spend the money), and I'm afraid I was appalled by the writing: it dragged; there was far too much telling rather than showing; sentences were really long because they were chock full of (in my opinion) unnecessary details; some of the things in it were just shocking, and not in a good way. Also, the vocabulary is lacking in variety but I can usually overlook that and it doesn't bother me too much.

I feel James' writing style was a bit like mine used to be - in my younger days when my English teacher told me that there was such a thing as using too many adjectives (and I should stop doing it), that there are better ways of showing a reader something, and that sometimes less is more.

But then, the quality of something and how it's written does contribute a big part to my enjoyment - I've not read many modern popular book series' as the writing styles of the authors were, to me, just terrible and I could hardly manage even the first chapter... I guess that makes me sound like a bit of a snob when it comes to reading. orz Sorry!

But, to put it in perspective a little because I'm not all that terrible and elitist (honest!), there have been several pieces of erotica that I've read that have had typos and mistakes in them and, while those mistakes have detracted from my enjoyment a little, I've still read them. FSOG was just awful, though; I couldn't do it. D:

Of course, this is all just my opinion. I know that heaps of people have enjoyed the books and don't find reading - and the writing - such a big deal as I do. :)

blonde vixen13 [sign in to see picture]

I preferred FSOG to the crossfire books. The last book in the crossfire trilogy has a crap ending.

Labyrinth [sign in to see picture]

I've read the trilogy, and I'd say that it is one of those things where the first book is worth a read to see what the hype is about, but then just stop there. They get progressively worse and very same-y after that

Naughty Miss K [sign in to see picture]

I read FSOG when I was living alone in a house that the landlord had sent a couple of workmen in. I can't remember where they were from, but they saw me baking, I gave them some with a cuppa, and after that they decided I would go back to their country with them at the end of last summer and be his wife....

I promptly spend the other 2 days they were there sat reading fsog where they could see, and he tried to tak about what I was reading...I just said it was a sex book and they left me alone after that! Read all 3 books in those 2 days, couldn't put them down!

I've read 1 and 2 in the crossfire trilogy, rereading them now so i can read the 3rd :)

I also really want to read The Perfect Submissive by Kay Jaybee, has anyone read it?

KinkyFuckery [sign in to see picture]

SophieM wrote:

I read the 50 shades books last year and definitely have to agree that they've changed my life! It's because of those books that I actually discovered LH.

I've also read the Crossfire series by Sylvia Day. Although it didn't have as much sex in them, I much prefered the overall storyline, and I would definitely recommend them too.

With you there sister at the time I had slept with one person opened my eyes to what is out there and now have a toy box worth over £1200 so I blame 50 Shades for my LH addiction . I have read over 50 other books since 50 shades

KinkyFuckery [sign in to see picture]

Naughty Miss K wrote:

I also really want to read The Perfect Submissive by Kay Jaybee, has anyone read it?

I habe just downloaded it thanks will see what it like needed a new book to read

Naughty nurse 85 wrote:

I preferred FSOG to the crossfire books. The last book in the crossfire trilogy has a crap ending.

I do agree that the last book had a terrible ending. To me, it felt as though she'd rushed it to get it released seing as it was already a few months behind. I'm just hoping the next one more than makes up for it!

85nikita [sign in to see picture]

Would highly reccomend the crossfire series by Sylvia Day much better read than 50 shades have read them but they are very poorly written and once you read Sylvia Day will open your eyes to loads of choice to enhance your sexual high from your sofa !! PS husband will never complain at you reading again !!

rubysoho [sign in to see picture]

ive flicked through it .. and was bored senseless if im honest .

bigstu [sign in to see picture]

I haven't read it, flicked through it, my son's copy, he bought all three!! Personally after the hype of the Da Vinci Code which I found to be border line rubbish I generally avoid over hyped books.

Preferring to keep to more historical novels or books by authors I like, just finished 'The red Queen' now a major motion (TV) series (The white Queen on the BBC)

I will not be a victim of over hype again!

KinkyFuckery wrote:

SophieM wrote:

With you there sister at the time I had slept with one person opened my eyes to what is out there and now have a toy box worth over £1200 so I blame 50 Shades for my LH addiction . I have read over 50 other books since 50 shades

See, I already knew about BDSM and the likes before I read the books, but I'd never actually read any erotic fiction. I actually only found out about LH after the 50 Shades TW account tweeted about the new toy range release on here. Curiosity got the better of me and that's how my love of toys, LH, and erotica started. Building up quite the collection too. :P

Scorpius12 [sign in to see picture]

I did enjoy 50 Shades - but I have since been reading the Masters of the Shadowlands series by Cherise Sinclair - these books are seriously hot !!!

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.