• incognito hotel bookings debit card statments etc

Hen Night Toad [sign in to see picture]

planning on booking a room but want to keep it a surprise from OH

problem is a lot of companies need credit debit card payment up front

this spoils the surprise.

any tips to get round this?

sweetlove666 [sign in to see picture]

maybe hide the statement from her?

or transfer the money to one of those pre paid debit cards without her knowing

taraman [sign in to see picture]

Groupon have loads of great hotel deals but not sure if card details are booked under Groupon or the individual name - worth a check. Lastminute also have good hotel deals and I am pretty sure bookings are under their name.

Groupon sells loads of stuff so you can pretend you bought a new power washer or something, lastminute is mainly travel so blufffing will be harder.

Other alternative is putting money into a debit card as sweetlove recommends or just give the cash to a friend or family member and ask them to put it on their card...

Cat Lady [sign in to see picture]

The problem with asking a friend is that sometimes the company needs to use the credit or debit card when you book in for some strange reason.

BlankeMaus [sign in to see picture]

Some hotels don't take payment until you get to the hotel or on departure. try hotels.com

MrsMcX [sign in to see picture]

You could ring the hotel and explain the situation and ask them if you can pay the full amount of your stay on arrival.

taraman [sign in to see picture]

Internet deal sites usually take 100% of the booking at time of purchase whereas when you book directly with a hotel they only take a deposit and the balance on check-out. A card is swiped on check-in as security to ensure the hotel can collect it's remaining balance and charge any damages, undeclared mini-bar purchases, etc. The card being swiped does not need to be the same card as the booking.

BlankeMaus [sign in to see picture]

Taraman, this isn't true, last year I booked a number of hotels through booking sites and ended up paying the hotel on check out, similarily I booked a hotel in London and overseas this year and paid the hotel directly. Simply depends which sites you use. Booking and hotel dot com definitely let the hotels handle the payment in my experience. Just read how the bookings are handled by the sites.

Fizz and Sparkle [sign in to see picture]

as Blankemaus said, it depends on the site. Many places take your details to secure the booking but you can pay cash when you arrive? i do that often x

Lovehoney - Nicole [sign in to see picture]

Whether or not they charge the full amount during checkout depends on the website. My advice would be to ring the hotel and do your booking with them. 9 times out of 10 (particularly if they know the circumstances), they'll take your credit card number but won't charge it unless you don't turn up. Some will charge a deposit in advance, but it's definitely worth speaking to someone on the phone.

Source: I used to work in a hotel.

Nikolai [sign in to see picture]

Ask your best body to pay with his card, and give him the money after the trip, this way she wont suspect anything. :)

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.