• Embarrasment at the Post Office

Long Time Cumiing [sign in to see picture]

Hampshire Hogg wrote:

Long Time Cumiing wrote:

Well I've been to the Post Office this morning with my OH to return a lovehoney purchase that we decided wasn't for us.

The woman behind the counter asked exactly what this post is discussing, exactly what was in the box. I told her I was returning an unwanted gift and she still kept pestering. She asked the lady next to her if she could send packages without knowing the contents, proceeded to give me a pamflet and asked me if it was any of that stuff.

I told her no but she still asked what it was, I told her it was a personal item I didn't want to discuss and she told me without knowing the contents they can't send it.

I then asked her how much detail she needed and proceeded to explain that it was a 'personal toy' that I was returning. She accepted this answer, enquired about batteries and then sent the item for me. She also told me that the Post Office had a new policy that was initiated last Monday where they have to know the contents of every package that they send, else they can't send it.

We walked away discussing it and my OH told me she was tempted to just blurt out that it was a sex toy, or even be more discriptive and explain its exact use and functionality. I found this highly hilarous.

If this is true and the new Post Office policy is to ask, I vote all us LH users play a game that surrounds trying to embarass the Post Office staff by being as jaw droppingly discriptive as possible. Tell them it's a vibrator that didn't make you orgasm or handcuffs that dug into the headboard etc. See how embarrassed we can make them.

J

Or a 12"dildo that was just not big enough!

l like that idea of moving the embarrasment at the Post Office to the other side of the counter.

I definately think we could make a thread/game out of this!

Would be highly amusing and maybe help people feel better if they're worried about returning items because of being asked 'what the package contains' (which in itself sounds rude ;))

J

ghostgirl [sign in to see picture]

I cannot play that game, my PO staff know me too well, but they never ask what is in my parcels anyway. The benefit of being a regular customer ( every day) and buying them a big tin of choccies during the pre Christmas posting rush.

I do have a suggestion for Lh, given that we cannot now post batteries which are out of their orriginal packaging would it not make sense for you to tell people returning toys to remove the batteries and not return them with the toy ?

Will add it to the pander to me thread as well

xGGx

Despina Rose [sign in to see picture]

If this is the case then I will have a good response for them in mind if they do ask. I still think it's wrong, if you say that there are no prohibited items in the package then what is the problem. It's an invasion of privacy, next they'll want everything sent in clear boxes.

Terri [sign in to see picture]

I didnt read all of the replies so someone probably said it, but i work for the post office and as of the 15th july we have to ask everybody whats in every package by law (this used be be the case for overseas mail only), i personally hate having to ask it makes me feel very nosey.

Terri wrote:

I didnt read all of the replies so someone probably said it, but i work for the post office and as of the 15th july we have to ask everybody whats in every package by law (this used be be the case for overseas mail only), i personally hate having to ask it makes me feel very nosey.

If this is the case perhaps there should be a large poster about it so at least people can think of a response.

Also, if batteries are now prohibited what about all the sellers who are still selling them? On ebay for example.

Despina Rose wrote:

Terri wrote:

If this is the case perhaps there should be a large poster about it so at least people can think of a response.

Also, if batteries are now prohibited what about all the sellers who are still selling them? On ebay for example.

There arn't any posters but there are leaflets with the new information on it, also it kinda defeats the purpose of asking if people just make things up lol.

Batteries are not all prohibited theres restrictions on the amount that can be sent and they must be new ans sealed and packaged properly.

Terri wrote:

Despina Rose wrote:

Terri wrote:

There arn't any posters but there are leaflets with the new information on it, also it kinda defeats the purpose of asking if people just make things up lol.

Batteries are not all prohibited theres restrictions on the amount that can be sent and they must be new ans sealed and packaged properly.

But people aren't going to say a bottle of lubricant and a dildo. Neither of those are problems.

FrozenAngel [sign in to see picture]

Well I'm glad they only implimented this last Monday LOL since when I had to return a LH item, I didn't have the time to go to the PO and generally always send my dad. So that would have been a fun conversation with my dad calling me in the middle of the day to ask me what was in the package.

FrozenAngel [sign in to see picture]

Usually with rechargeable batteries they but a Hazard sticker on it to advise. Got the same thing wqhen I returned a faulty kindle.

MissChar [sign in to see picture]

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Hmm. Actually.. the battery thing could be a problem. What about batteries that can't be removed, like single use vibes or rechargeable vibes?

I suppose if you can't remove them then they're still in their original packaging? Otherwise we may have to do some toy dissection haha!

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Hmm. Actually.. the battery thing could be a problem. What about batteries that can't be removed, like single use vibes or rechargeable vibes?

Batteries inside items are fine to send within the uk

ShyButCurious [sign in to see picture]

You shoul have just said with a perfectly straight face what it was. She would have sank so far into her chair she wouldn't be avle to get back up.... I'm actually shocked tho. There was absolutly no reason for her to ask and she has no right to for that matter x

ShyButCurious wrote:

You shoul have just said with a perfectly straight face what it was. She would have sank so far into her chair she wouldn't be avle to get back up.... I'm actually shocked tho. There was absolutly no reason for her to ask and she has no right to for that matter x

Someone posted: I didnt read all of the replies so someone probably said it, but i work for the post office and as of the 15th july we have to ask everybody whats in every package by law (this used be be the case for overseas mail only), i personally hate having to ask it makes me feel very nosey.

nickt18 [sign in to see picture]

I would definatly complain! Thats out of order and they should be reported for their behavior in my opinion.

sexynurse09 [sign in to see picture]

Complain!! She was out of order!

I'd have had fun with it though, wouldn't have been able to resist giving her a ridiculous answer. I think I'd have announced loudly that it was a giant strap on. SHE would have been the red faced one by the time I'd finished with her, the nosey cow!

Shaq [sign in to see picture]

Next time say it's the flux capacitor.

SN [sign in to see picture]

Hey there

I just want to say a big thanks to everyone who has written- it has really helped calm my nerves/embarrasment, and also with coming up with what to say next time.

I dont personally thing this lady behind the counter actually had much at fault. It felt like she was asking a procedural question, rather then trying to be nosey. Backed up with what various people have said, that the rules have receintly changed, I dont actually hold a grudge against her- per say, she was just doing her job, and I firmly believe that, however it was just the situation and circomstances which I found so embarrasing- I was literally just struck dumb. I was unprepared (luckily, through this thread, people are hopefully not so now), and it was just too damn hot. It was hotter in that post office then it was outside, and I'd been queueing for a considerable amount of time. Also- whilst I do have a playful side, this town does have a generous proportion of old and retired residents- who also tend to come out at lunchtime, and actually saying anything blunt or rude would just have felt inappropriate. I would possibly have a quiet joke, if there wasn't anyone around, but just with that sort of audience- there was a large queue behind us now, it just wasn't right.

to Emu- It took a while to come to terms with buying online here, but I have now, and I do fully accept what I buy- on a personal level. However, telling complete strangers about your personal sex life- especially when they're not inviting it too (it's an honest question they apparently HAVE to ask now)- that is where a SITUATION does get embarrasing. Also, consider this- you may be fully comfortable around sex and BDSM, perhapse even in a more open or public enviromnent. But we all have to start somewhere, and a newbie buying their first small vibe might be highly embarrased about doing so. Doesn't mean they shouldnt, when sex is a basic animalistic need.

Long Time Cumiing wrote:

Well I've been to the Post Office this morning with my OH to return a lovehoney purchase that we decided wasn't for us.

The woman behind the counter asked exactly what this post is discussing, exactly what was in the box. I told her I was returning an unwanted gift and she still kept pestering. She asked the lady next to her if she could send packages without knowing the contents, proceeded to give me a pamflet and asked me if it was any of that stuff.

I told her no but she still asked what it was, I told her it was a personal item I didn't want to discuss and she told me without knowing the contents they can't send it.

I then asked her how much detail she needed and proceeded to explain that it was a 'personal toy' that I was returning. She accepted this answer, enquired about batteries and then sent the item for me. She also told me that the Post Office had a new policy that was initiated last Monday where they have to know the contents of every package that they send, else they can't send it.

We walked away discussing it and my OH told me she was tempted to just blurt out that it was a sex toy, or even be more discriptive and explain its exact use and functionality. I found this highly hilarous.

If this is true and the new Post Office policy is to ask, I vote all us LH users play a game that surrounds trying to embarass the Post Office staff by being as jaw droppingly discriptive as possible. Tell them it's a vibrator that didn't make you orgasm or handcuffs that dug into the headboard etc. See how embarrassed we can make them.

J

This sounds almost EXACTLY what happened to me. She kept insisting that she needed to know, and wouldnt take any other answer. She even gave me that same 'restricted items' leaflet too. I actually ended up saying that I would write it down for her, but I didn't want to say it outloud. I think she might have gotten the hint- I'd announced to her that it was 'personal', I didn't want to explain. I think she'd definatly figured it out though- and actually, that's the main thing which I'm still taking with me which I feel embarrased about.

I personally think there should be some oberly PC way of stating 'sex toy' that the post office would be happy with. 'Battery operated personal pleasure device' or some such. Because- and please dont think that I'm backing down- it seems that the post office now dont have any option but to ask- it is their job. I dont agree with purposfully going about trying to embarrass or humiliate the workers when we do need to make returns, yeah, have some fun in discussions and stuff- but in all honesty, they're just doing their job, its no doublt embarrasing enough as it is for them to have to need to pry now. The problem is, it's not the PO workers who have made the decision that everyone must ask- its the management. And embarrasing the workers, as amusing as it may be in the short run, wont actually help any in turning around or altering the new rules. An online game of 'embarras the post office staff' I think would be brilliant, given the situation- but (and I really dont mean to sound like a prude)- I don't think it should stretch to the real PO staff.

Cat Lady [sign in to see picture]

SN wrote:

to Emu- It took a while to come to terms with buying online here, but I have now, and I do fully accept what I buy- on a personal level. However, telling complete strangers about your personal sex life- especially when they're not inviting it too (it's an honest question they apparently HAVE to ask now)- that is where a SITUATION does get embarrasing. Also, consider this- you may be fully comfortable around sex and BDSM, perhapse even in a more open or public enviromnent. But we all have to start somewhere, and a newbie buying their first small vibe might be highly embarrased about doing so. Doesn't mean they shouldnt, when sex is a basic animalistic need.

Ugh, having found out about this, I am now seriously worried. I know I wouldn't handle being asked those kind of questions well so it will make me dubious about buying stuff in case it has to be returned. I was thinking of sending something to the Amnesty but not sure I want to now. So this new policy is a) putting me off spending money and b) putting me off recycling. Not good!

I think we are very much living in a Big Brother country now. Orwell was ahead of his time but he had a point!

Cat Lady wrote:

Ugh, having found out about this, I am now seriously worried. I know I wouldn't handle being asked those kind of questions well so it will make me dubious about buying stuff in case it has to be returned. I was thinking of sending something to the Amnesty but not sure I want to now. So this new policy is a) putting me off spending money and b) putting me off recycling. Not good!

I think we are very much living in a Big Brother country now. Orwell was ahead of his time but he had a point!

Yeah, I get your concern- but I think there may be too many issues coming up generally publicly as a result of this 'need to know everything' policy the PO have now. I'm not saying that it wont stay around long- because they're the type of establishment where change doesn't necessarilly come fast- and isn't easily revoked, but I think the public may generally take too much offense/issue with this. I personally think- seeing as this change has come into place because of the potential for parcels to be sent abroad, that they may revert to the old 'any hazardous contents' with the definatly-ground moved parcels, staying within the country like our very own return parcels.

Dont get worried, please. The whole point of this threat was awareness- but also to allow people to figure out- in advance- what they need to say should this arise. Yeah, the whole idea now feels pretty unpleasant, but I really wouldn't let it play on your mind for only the potential of needing to return something. Lovehoney as a company pride themselves on offering a discreet and simple service. With awareness of this issue, I'm sure the big bods high up in LH are figuring things out to help us with this new obstical to discression.

But for now, remember this, my feline friend. Dont let it affect how you buy- if you want something, no lady sitting in a stuffy public office can tell you otherwise. If the need arrises that you must return something, then you have a variety of things to say- 'non expensive electronic device, no batteries' for a powered vibrator, 'clothing' for lingerie, even 'silicone sculpture' or '3D art' as someone else mentioned, for plugs and dildos. And, if you're really concerned about possibly getting into a situation where I was in, (but I would imagine an answer printed above would surfice for them), take a piece of paper with the contents discreetly written down. Dont overwrite or be overly detailed, but in the event that you should be flustered, and not able to come out with anything, you'll have something you can discreetly pass over.

(PS- you really shouldn't be sending money via the post anyway, but that's beside the point, lol)

Post a reply to this thread

Please sign in to post messages to the forum.